Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fortnite

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jul 25, 2017

Originally a co-operative looter shooter from the studios behind Unreal Tournament and Gears of War, Fortnite became one of the most successful PvP "battle royale" games and later became its own platform for several types of games.

Battle Royale Mode Impressions

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I was surprised that Fortnite was the first high(er) profile game to adopt (steal) PUBG's multiplayer and roll out this mode. I actully got myself suckered into buying into early access Fortnite when they enabled that on PS4, so this just came as an update. I don't have a gaming PC so this was an oportunity to try this hot new concept after watching all them Murder Islands and then some.

Only after last UPF I decided to actually try and fire the mode up and I have to say, even though it is very, VERY simplified version of PUBG it's pretty fun. After ten or twelve games I managed to place second, with 6 kills which was solid, definetely got my heart pumping.

Players seem really agressive and the map is on the smaller side, so half of the players are dead by time the first circle forms/shrinks. The footsteps are really loud so if you use headphones, that is easily the main thing to pay attention to, even in open fields it allows you to sneak up on people, which is really satysfying. Also, crouch-sprinting is essential, for concealing your own noise.

I have seen some people do some building shananigans here and there, but by the end, when it's down to it, my experience is I usually have a spare gun to shred a hole in a fort and then imedietely switch to another one for the actual fight. It does add something to the experience though. Also I killed a guy with an electric ceiling trap, I was using it to cover my back and got killed under it, when the killer came to loot my stuff he got one-shotted so that is also a pretty efective thing, at least for now (the trap makes a noise and is easy to avoid, I suspect that guy won't foll that a second time...)

I don't think I will play much more untill some balance patches come in (shotguns seem very powerful at the moment), but the thing works and got me very interested to see PUBG on the consoles later.

Did you try the mode yourself and what are your impressions?

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Darth_Navster

Surprising that this isn't being talked about more. I hopped on Battle Royale this week and I'm obsessed. Yeah, it's probably what the PUBG fan base felt months ago, but this is the version my friends are into. Being free and on console are key IMHO.

Based on Epic's servers getting overwhelmed last night I suspect there are plenty of duders playing the game. What say you GB community? Is this the new king of the kill? Metaphorically speaking, of course.

unknownczar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Havn't ever played any other BR game so I tried this out. It's been pretty fun. Definitely more noob friendly. I am terrible at fps games on PC and play them with a controller when I can. I tried it out and actually did pretty well with 5 kills in one round. Finding a yellow rifle means you will probably have a good round, as you do way more damage than anyone else. The rng spread in the shooting also helps out. I will have to check it out on Xbox, should be a better scene for me. I also need to see if any of my friends are interested for squads. I tried the matchmaking but my team got wiped in the first encounter every time lol...

jeburns86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After having played PUBG for the last couple of months on PC, I downloaded Fortnite on Xbox One and just recently started playing it, and I have to say I am somewhat impressed with it. It does seem more new player friendly than PUBG. It feels a little bit less janky then PUBG (granted that's part of PUBG's charm), which helps me feel like I'm a little bit better at this one (highly debatable). While the art style is not bad at all, it feels like players tend to stick out much more against the background, which I don't care for. I thought maybe the night cycle would help with this, but it doesn't really, which makes me wonder why even bother with that so far, unless I'm missing something? Either way I'll stick with it for a bit longer and see what they add to it, and how well the player base sticks with it.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Howardian

I was laughing my heart out, saying to myself "holy shit they copypasted PUBG!"

The running-around lobby before the game, the plane, the island, the loot, THE CIRCLE, holy crap copycats are shameless.

The funny part is that it's like a cartoonish mod for the game, it's silly.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shindig

Hopefully Metal Gear Survive steals this. 100 Metal Gears fight for a calorie mate. And insurance.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The running-around lobby before the game, the plane, the island, the loot, THE CIRCLE, holy crap copycats are shameless.

Maybe PUBG should copy some things from Fortnite. They should copy the fact that is / will be free to play, copy that it offers a horde mode which adds value to the game, and then copy the fact that they didn't sell out the fucking console version as a Microsoft exclusive.

So stupid this sort of thing continues to happen in 2017. Exclusive DLC like in Destiny is bad enough.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike

@spaceinsomniac said:
    @howardian said:

Maybe PUBG should copy some things from Fortnite. They should copy the fact that is / will be free to play, copy that it offers a horde mode which adds value to the game, and then copy the fact that they didn't sell out the fucking console version as a Microsoft exclusive.

So stupid this sort of thing continues to happen in 2017. Exclusive DLC like in Destiny is bad enough.

Why does PUBG need to be free to play? The game has sold like 12 million copies. Furthermore, it's not an Xbox One exclusive. Bluehole has said many times that they want to bring the game to PS4, but they are using the Xbox One's Early Access program for now.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:
    @spaceinsomniac said:
    @howardian said:

Why does PUBG need to be free to play? The game has sold like 12 million copies. Furthermore, it's not an Xbox One exclusive. Bluehole has said many times that they want to bring the game to PS4, but they are using the Xbox One's Early Access program for now.

Also zombie horde mode is a planned game mode to come out of custom games.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:
    @spaceinsomniac said:
    @howardian said:

It really doesn't need to be free to play. Not at all. That was just a way of getting around to the exclusivity thing. I have no issue with paid or free games, as long as they're done right.

I also didn't hear that they said it would definitely be coming to the PS4, and I would have thought contract exclusivity would have prohibited them from mentioning that, or the exact details of the agreement, such as the timing of the exclusive.

Good to hear they are adding a horde mode, though. That's nice, but I still hate 3rd party exclusives.

Unless I'm missing something, Microsoft's Early Access program doesn't really seem needed, either. I'm pretty sure the PS4 version of Fortnite calls their game "early access" on the title screen of the game.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@spaceinsomniac: Wait, I didn't say that Bluehole "definitely" said PUBG is coming to PS4. Theu have said that they wanted to bring the game to PS4. That is a lot different than announcing it's definitely happening. But they certainly haven't said it's an Xbox One exclusive or anything like that.

AlvaroFAraujo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlvaroFAraujo

The sheer fact that this game allows you to destroy buildings actually brings a new fresh gameplay to the mix. I've seen games where one person can pick up an RPG and start blowing stuff apart. "Cover?! Not today friend". Its definitely more "noob" friendly and while pubg is still figuring out how to bring this to consoles, Fortnight already cornered the market for BR genre games in the PS4, and as far as i know, usually free games on PS4 do quite well.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't realize I could play Fortnite for free. Definitely giving this a go. I also noticed that on PC you need to access it through Epic's own game launcher a la EA Origin.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

@spaceinsomniac: Wait, I didn't say that Bluehole "definitely" said PUBG is coming to PS4. Theu have said that they wanted to bring the game to PS4. That is a lot different than announcing it's definitely happening. But they certainly haven't said it's an Xbox One exclusive or anything like that.

I'm pretty sure MS said it was an Xbox One X launch exclusive during their Xbox One X E3 event.

And you're right that I said the word "definitely" not you. That's just what came to mind when a developer with a game as successful as PUBG says several times that they want to do a PS4 version. It is the most successful console when it comes to sales by a considerable amount. Either way, thanks for the clarification.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I didn't realize I could play Fortnite for free. Definitely giving this a go. I also noticed that on PC you need to access it through Epic's own game launcher a la EA Origin.

You can't play Fortnite for free(at least not yet). You can play the Battle Royal mode for free. If you try and go into the zombie coop stuff it says hey give us some money if you wanna do this right now instead of in 2018.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neocalypso: Oh OK, it's just the Battle Royale right now. Thanks for the heads up.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to like it, but don't. I like the concept, never played PUBG, but the gunplay and level design aren't good enough. The gunplay feels like we're shooting paintballs at each other since it lacks that visceral feel and it feels like bullets move too slow. It felt like I was playing Sunset Overdrive without the fun movement system and cool weapons. The level design has too many open fields.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deckard

Taking the sleaziness of the whole PUBG/ Fortnite beef out of the equation, I actually prefer Fortnite BR to PUBG. I'm a sucker for a stylized, cartoonish art style (I played a ton of TF2 and Battlefield Heroes way back when) and definitely will take Fortnite's graphics over PUBG's drab, grey bleh. It's also much easier for me to make out player silhouettes in Fortnite because of this. The art style also lends the game to feel more laid back to me - I don't get nearly as tense near the end as I do in PUBG. Oh, and I thought the building mechanic would be lame but I actually like what it adds to the endgame - the last 5-6 people alive just start building random nonsense to take cover behind or to get to sniper points.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Nothing like a building blowing up while you're inside it:

Loading Video...

This game seems fine, if not the most fraudulent and obvious ripoff in the history of mankind; I like the hidden chests in walls and destructible buildings. Map's too small so solo is always going to be pretty RNG at the start, but other than that it's alright and of course free. If minecraft clones are any indication when Battlegrounds actually makes its way to PS4 it'll sell like 20 million copies easy.

Something something Power Players

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Having played it a bit more it definitely seems like there's just a lot more loot RNG in Fortnite than in PUBG, most of the RNG in Battlegrounds is just circle luck, very occasionally you get poked by a silenced AWM or whatever but typically people have relatively similar gear by the end. But in Fortnite if you're not rocking double potion scoped rifle/sniper or at the very least AR with 34 damage then in the final circle you're probably boned no matter what, even if you make the most comical fort in the history of mankind. Of course the best way to get non shield loot is by murdering people so you can improve that over time and figure out where people don't go but there's really nothing you can do about potions; you either get them or you don't.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got a taste of that sweet, sweet tofu:

Loading Video...

Pretty fun stuff, the building up to an inaccessible hill to setup a double flank one of my favorites and obviously not possible in PUBG; got 2nd like 6 times in 30 games but my evasive strategy usually doesn't pay out in the loots and I rarely get circle luck at the end to compensate for it /shrug

archimedes83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing on ps4 and digging it. I would dig a 10 teams of 10 people.

Ps4 handle:etseq

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.