what anime you did not like but watched anyway ?

• 83 results
geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

so either i am too old or i am just not a anime head like i once was but my buddy and I are watching a series two times out of the week and he picked "Tokyo Ghouls".

Now level with me i have not watched a anime series in a long time (not counting re-watching cowboy bebop a billion times)

This story was pretty epic the first 3 episodes but the last 4,5, and 6 were very slow and was hard for me to watch, feeling drowsy by the end of the episode . i actually have to re-watch it again just so i know who the hell is who,

i am going to stick it out and just get into the anime if i have too, i had a bad experience with crunchyRoll but now this !!

will keep you fellas updated

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By FacelessVixen

The first season on Queen's Blade. I was expecting Soulcalibur: The Animation, but I was bored less than halfway through.

I mean, don't get me wrong: Big titty anime is still up my alley, but Arms made some mistakes.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

The closest I’ve come is dealing with an anime that had the cringe knob turned up too high and having to power through to get out of that sub-plot. The biggest one is probably Sword Art Online. There’s no elegant way to phrase it, so let’s just say it’s stuff involving the female leads.

If it’s a show I actively don’t like I’ll stop watching it. Same if it is too boring, I’ll bail early as opposed to giving it a chance. My watchlist for anime, movies, and general TV shows is so long I don’t think it’s worth spending the time.

DrSpaceLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My joke answer is plunder because its actively hates its viewers. My real answer is the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya. I know its supposed to be good and the writing is solid and its just a good show I should like it but shit man, I cant put it into words why I dont like it but man.

it was my version of patrick watching prison break.

DrSpaceLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geeelectronica: Goul is solid, but just be prepared to not understand what the fuck happened and who the hell are the characters when go from season to season. 2 to 3 is the worst, its still a cool show though

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hot take: I really don't like Makoto Shinkai's works. I like some works by other directors in a similar style, but not his own stuff. His movies are pretty films with insubstantial characters, overly self-absorbed leads, and a complete lack of consequence (the one exception, Your Name., goes the other way by being too convoluted). However, some of them are bad enough that I can watch them for ironic enjoyment.

Also, the last dozen episodes of Death Note are so godawful but I had to finish the show.

Leopold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone can please attempt to tell me why the hell I put myself through 2 seasons of Seven Deadly Sins, that would be great.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had I not bought the entire collection of Gantz way back when I never would have completed it. Still took me awhile to get through it as it was almost painful watching it.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 24

Neon Gensis Evagablion...not even going to spell it correctly.

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

re:zero. Definitely not a fan of it, but watched it because I was going to record a podcast about it. Ended up ditching that effort after realizing what they were trying to portray with the main character.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rewatched a lot of Gundam Wing along with a podcast.

That show fuckin' sucks. I was not a discerning Toonami viewer.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By redwing42

@efesell: Agree. I tried going back and watching Gundam Wing a couple years ago, and it amazed me at how little actually happened episode to episode. But it was pretty cool when I was in high school.

In a different vein, a friend showed me Akira when I was 10, and I was very much not ready for that at all. Coming back to it a few years later, I was better able to appreciate it, but 4th grade me was upset and confused in so many ways by that movie.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I’m not the biggest of anime watchers. The only thing that comes to mind is Devil May Cry. I thought it was really boring, but I stuck with it, because it was short and it was Devil May Cry. I’m much better at falling off of anime I actually like. I’m watching Neon Genesis Evangelion right now. I was listening to Dan and Bianca’s podcast about it and realised that even though I liked it when I first watched it like 12 years ago, I’ve stopped after 8 episodes. I’m on episode 12 now and am really digging it so far.

Ryan3370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched all but the last season of bleach despite only liking season 1-2. Disliked it more every year but kept going for some reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-619b03b9dff60
deactivated-619b03b9dff60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Future Diary/Mirai Nikki. It's the definition of disappointment, it really should be illegal to give bad series really good OPs.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16 sweep  Moderator

I hate Attack On Titan. The writing is erratic, nonsensical, convoluted and there are long strings of episodes where absolutely nothing happens. There's also heavy fascist subtext throughout. Unfortunately there are also action sequences which are an absolute animation masterclass, and as an animator I can't help but enjoy them despite the broader IQ-melting context in which they are placed. I just constantly feel guilty when watching.

I would have said Rise Of The Shield Hero but as that's an extremely problematic misogynistic fever-dream I abandoned that shit early on.

There's a reason moderators don't trust people with anime avatars.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By brian_

I got way too far into Naruto and Naruto Shippuden considering I did not like that show. Like, right up until the war stuff started before I finally told myself to stop.

I also finished the "kidnap Asuna so we can build up the incest angle" arc of SAO, before I told myself I was never going to watch any more of that crap.

I can't think of any show I completely finished though, despite not liking it. There might be something, but it's been a handful of years since I watched any anime regularly, and I just don't remember much outside of the stuff I really liked. A lot of the middling stuff I watched kind of just all blurs together in my mind.

carsend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 16

Hunter X Hunter.

Everyone said it was the next best thing ever, and I didn't like much of it. Just kind of felt generic.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:

There's a reason moderators don't trust people with anime avatars.

Wow... Like, yeah. I get it. Rise Of The Shield Hero; not exactly high-brow to say the least. But the notion of looking at anime fans with immediate suspicion because of it, as if most of us are not aware that shows like that are problematic... I hope you were just being facetious, because I'm sure that most anime fans around here are on the same page in that those shows are disgusting and do not wholly represent anime fandom, much like how Miranda's ass and The Witcher's sex scenes don't fully represent gaming.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22 sweep  Moderator
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And this is my cue to go back to MAL.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never trust anyone with an anime avatar. Never trust anyone that posts Sonic memes.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I watched a lot of Bleach. I watched a lot of Bleach. After the first couple seasons it was primarily so I could complain with a friend about how terrible the pacing was.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleach was my bajiilion episode long shonen anime of choice. Granted I stopped watching it for years somewhere in the middle and came back to it later. But, I think in the end I enjoyed it... I think? I'm glad it's coming back... I think.

chibi_kaji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Gundam SEED Destiny is the last thing I hate watched. And I'd complain with another Gundam fan via IIRC.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chibi_kaji: Have not seen Destiny cuz SEED was bad enough for me.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By hermes

Overlord and Baki are two animes that I liked at the beginning but fell off badly once it went for the always overpowered character trope. I ended up finishing the seasons, but mostly to see if they were going for something interesting, or not... In general, I don't mind that trope, but it had to do something interesting with it.

Use it to explore the world or look for interesting ways to challenge the characters (maybe some obstacles that can't be solved with the respective "kick asses" approach), and it can be pretty great. But if it just used to resolve every single plot thread by their mere presence, it turns into a boring and lazy cop out fast.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'll do two

First is Attack on Titan. As mentioned, that show/comic has a LOT of issues. Season 1 was fun because it was mostly mindless fun with minimal plot (ends with Eren throwing a rock and realizing the wall is made of Colossal Titans?). Binged in to Season 2 and started losing a lot of steam as it played the "We lied to everyone and went on an intentional shaggy dog story to fail to lure out the baddies" in a way that the folk who bitch about the Rose/Finn bit of TLJ should study to understand what is ACTUALLY a waste of time (Rose and Finn were put in position to help out Rey and revealed another aspect of the star wars universe. AoT just killed a bunch of scouts and then blondie realized the thing he noticed before the adventure even began was a huge red flag). And pretty sure I disliked most of Season 3 outside of the Levi arc because... Levi is fucking awesome. That being said, I finally started watching season 4 now that some of the dub is out and... it feels a lot more focused. Plot advances quite a bit in any given episode and a lot of the "... is this pro-fascism?" is starting to finally (maybe...) get subverted in exchange for a "both sides aren't that different" kind of "... okay?". From spoilers I have seen I am pretty sure it is going to completely lose the plot but... I guess I'll keep watching in the hopes that those in context are less stupid sounding? At the very least, Levi is fucking awesome and Mikasa is amazing when she isn't pining for the guy who totally is going to grow an ill advised mustache very soon.

As for one I actually DID nope out of: Goblin Slayer (uhm... trigger warnings for sexual assault...) . So... that first episode is something bad. REAL bad. But it seems they drop the really unearned and disgusting stuff pretty fast in favor of a really stupid rpg game book (I always forget what that is called but the tendency for fantasy to very explicitly use video game rules) with good action. Then it goes back to that really shitty rape well and it becomes very clear that this is the lead writer's really fucked up tabletop session and we are watching the adventures of a Sonic OC. Watched through the end of the first season and felt really dirty for it. It seems to back off again but... it never does anything particularly interesting.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topcyclist: Well, not to be that guy, but if you actually read the posts you were replying to you would see that these are more specific complaints rather than "not getting it" or "wanting more"

Like, I can't speak for whether the expedition to find the female titan was in the manga or not. But stuff like the vague fascist imagery and the unfortunate "the not-jewish people were literally monsters" seem VERY much in the manga. It is less not liking that it doesn't do more and not liking what it actually DOES.

Like, for example: I LOVED Fairy Tail. I will be the first to admit that had a LOT of filler, was generic as hell, and had so much fanservice that even Master Roshi would feel dirty if he owned the blu-rays. But it was fun and a great "first shonen" with some really good moments.

Not every anime needs to be a deep and philisophical piece (although, AoT seems to be trying for it) but if what it is saying is vapid and kind of problematic and it never really balances the action and the "quiet"?

Graxlar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seven deadly sins... ugh

It actually seemed to treat its female characters worse the further in you get. It is a garbage show and I hated almost all of it!

Still watched every episode like an idiot.

Picto_Obscure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leopold said:

If anyone can please attempt to tell me why the hell I put myself through 2 seasons of Seven Deadly Sins, that would be great.

Because 'Perfect Time' by Hiroyuki Sawano is an absolute jam of a song.

Be grateful you didn't put yourself through the third season, because it turned into a stop motion animation.

Eriswed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone has mentioned before, It's probably Mirai Nikki. I decided to rewatch it for some insane reason last year (It was because i remember being obsessed with it as a young teen) and it was a horrible experience. I mostly stop watching animes i think are too bad nowadays so i don't really have any bad recent ones that i have seen.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Ball Super. I was so into DBZ as a kid that I felt like I had to see the new series. Most of it was pretty terrible, and the last arc was especially drawn out but I grit my teeth and got through it. Ill probably be back for seconds when it comes back.

trh5001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont really have one since I stop watching very quickly if I am not enjoying them.

That being said Devilman Crybaby was bad and I feel bad for watching as much of it as I did. I can nornally watch something and see why other people may like it but I could find nothing in that show that was redeemable.

LyndBako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A friend recommended Parasyte as his all-time favorite show and I didn't think it was all that special. HxH is kind of in a similar spot. Wildly overhyped, though I'd say I liked it overall.

Flip Flappers was a show I watched as it was airing because I was interested in the style and thought it had potential. But the writing got real, real bad in the back half of the show. IIRC that show was made by some relative newcomers that didn't have experience writing a story, and it shows.

Then there was that show Girlish Number which initially presented itself as a darkly cynical take on the workings of the anime industry. I think the audience didn't like that approach since it quickly devolved into a cutesy slice-of-life show with none of the heart of something like Shirobako

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Demon Slayer.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through and I just can't find myself to go on any further. The first 8 episodes were great and then it took a nose dive for me. The side characters are... not very likable and some of them have the most annoying voices ever. It's like everything after those 8 episodes just rubbed me the wrong way. I don't even know how I got that far into it.

Why is this show so popular?

Girafro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitestripes09: That's unfortunate, I really enjoy Demon Slayer! I don't mind the characters though, huge fan of Inosuke and Tanjiro. Plus the action scenes are always real fun. (Out of curiosity are you watching the sub or the dub? I don't want to turn it into "the argument" but I tried to watch the dub recently and it's... not great imo hahaha!)

In terms of the topic of the thread, my anime I keep watching for some reason has been mentioned a few times: Attack on Titan. New season started with some cool action but very quickly turned into a bunch of people standing around talking again. Plus all the other things that others have already listed.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: Did the same with G Gundam all the way through with Great Gundam Project podcast. It's fun to laugh at the show with the podcasters.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: Glad that someone actually enjoy that show. Still got to agree with Em on that there are loads of other comic adaptions or just comic they and I would rather see than watching Gundam half assing those tropes.

darlingdarling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly? I get no joy out of watching One Piece anymore. I watch it strictly out of habit. It’s like cigarettes, I started because it looked cool but now I cant stop and loathe it.

PurpleShyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PurpleShyGuy

I found Fate Zero to be a pretty good watch, so naturally I moved onto Fate Stay Night. Halfway through when all the girls are fawning over a main character that had all the charisma of an instruction manual for a microwave, I knew I had made a mistake. But I kept on going because I just wanted to know the fate (har har) of the characters that had returned from Fate Zero.

And don't get me started on how Fate Stay Night has three different versions, which causes important characters to disappear completely from the story depending on which version you're watching.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean I feel like I see people shit on the One Piece anime all the time for it's glacial pacing.