Persona 3: Dancing Moon Night & Persona 5: Dancing Star Night announced for PS4/Vita, Persona Q2 announced for 3DS.

• 56 results
cettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cettu

Announcements are coming in hot from this year's Persona live concert, the "Persona Super Live P-Sound Bomb!!!!"

Both rhythm games are coming to PS4 and Vita, and they are scheduled for a Spring 2018 release in Japan. Here's the official website: http://cdn.persona-dance.jp/

There is very little information on Persona Q2. It does not yet have a trailer or a release date, but it's currently announced for the 3DS, and it will include the cast of P5. The teaser website is this-a-way: http://cdn.pq2.jp/

http://personacentral.com/persona-3-dancing-moon-night-persona-5-dancing-star-night-announced-playstation-vita-spring-2018-release/

http://personacentral.com/persona-q-2-announced/

Persona 4: Dancing All Night, and Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth certainly had their flaws, but I really enjoyed them despite that. Hopefully they've taken some of the criticism to heart. Still, I think I'm most excited for all of the new music and remixes that are on the horizon!

Also, I personally prefer the Arena games when it comes to my Persona spin-offs (P4AU is my favorite fighting game of all-time), but it seems like P5A is still a ways off, seeing as how Arcsys just announced at Evo a couple of weeks ago that they're currently working on BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, which will feature some of the cast from Persona 4 Arena. Here's the trailer for those who missed it:

http://personacentral.com/blazblue-cross-tag-battle-announced-features-persona-4-arena/

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night - Tonal Inconsistency: The Game

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The cognitive dissonance in my head about P3D is extreme. There is no reason that cast should be acting like that, but THAT DANCING AIGIS!

I never played P4D, but I'll probably buy both of these, like I do ever other Persona game I have a system for.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Was surprised to see a character from that roosterteeth show in the Blazblue trailer. Is that show that popular?

GKabooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

P3 cast needs to be playing imaginary DJ turntables although I still prefer the jazzy tones of P5 personally. Both aren't "Every days great at your Junes" though.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh boy, glad to see the Persona 4 method of 'making the game worse with spin offs and shit' is holding strong still.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not that into character-based fanservice with a cast I disliked(P3) and a cast I thought was just pretty good(p5). It's neat that it's coming to ps4 as well, but I'm not interested in this the way I was in Dancing All Night.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would much prefer another Arena game as well. One thing I do dislike with the spinoffs is that they very much flatten the characters to one note. I understand that there isn't 80 hours of time fleshing the characters out, but it would be easy enough to still provide some nuance to them.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

"For PS4... And Vita"

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooo...huh? These two separate games? W-why couldn't they just make one game? I mean...surely I'm not the only one who finds this weird. That could have even given them a reason to remaster P4D and sell it as DLC later.

Sure...I guess? But I mean...like...why? I just don't even...whatever.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@redwing42: That's just because of different writers, right? And a nature of them being spinoffs. The studio handling the spinoff gets those already-written characters and are asked to make a silly story during which none of the original cast can die, change or evolve in any significant way, or do anything that impacts the story in their respective original games. So it's no wonder that Chie likes meat a little more than usual and that Kanji is super dumb compared to his regular dumb.

I'm with you in wanting an Arena 2 more, though. I wish they did the Guilty Gear/Dragonball Z look for it, but I could understand if they don't want to make the twenty or so characters in P4 Arena from the bottom up again.

Avatar image for chainreaction01
chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By chainreaction01

Dancing (Blank) Night has to be one of the greatest/dumbest naming conventions for your rhythm game spinoff series.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo:

Loading Video...

This is the correct answer.

Why make one game when you can make two? You don't see the Pokemon company being dumb enough to leave money on the table by just making one Pokemon game instead of two do you?

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm actually really looking forward to all 3 of these now, aside from the fact that I wish they were coming to the Switch. PQ was flawed but fun, while Dancing all Night was one of my favorite Vita games (low bar but still). The spinoffs are never quite as good as the mainline series, this is true. But they fill in the gaps nicely IMO and offer some good clean fun.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I am so happy.

Ok, yeah, in concept these dance games are weird and probably shouldn't exist. Sure, the visual novel part of Dancing All Night is mediocre. However, as someone who likes rhythm games, I sure loved playing DAN. I was hoping they would make some Persona 5 DLC, but I'll go ahead and buy these games up. This time, I would probably prefer if they just released the games without the visual novel part. I admire how dedicated they are in justifying their spinoff games, but the story in Persona 4: Arena was actually good. Also justifying why these characters are dancing, especially for the Persona 3 game, would probably be too much.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@jesus_phish:

But Pokemon at least has a legitimate reason for putting out multiple games? It's always been a social experience, even going back to the very first entries. In order to catch 'em all, you had to find someone with the opposite copy and trade. Sure, yeah it's a business move, but it's also a whole unique experience you don't get anywhere else. It's part of the appeal.

This is essentially, from what i can tell, the same rhythm games, with a different coat of paint, being released at the same time, seemingly without anything even coming remotely close to the type of experience you get with Pokemon. Also, Pokemon in no way requires or even suggests that your purchase both games. Again, it operates under the assumption that you'll meet someone who has that other copy.

It's hard for me to see this as anything other than a cynical business move. Yes, I realize there's a whole visual novel element. Yes, I realize I don't have to buy both. Yes, I realize they haven't even announced the price yet so for all I know it could be two separate $30 games.

My problem is this comes hot of the heels of them also putting out a very good, very successful mammoth of an rpg. This, in comparison, just seems like such a blatant attempt to milk an audience with which you're built up so much good will. "Why give them a ton of content in one package again when it's clear we can double dip this time?" That said, seeing the reaction to this news, most people don't give a shit so this whole this non-debate is just one giant waste of time.

edit: Oops, forgot, I'm not allowed to voice dissenting opinions on these forums. It makes me a baby, apprently.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Put the vita game Persona 4 Dancing All Night on PS4 and make it free when you buy P3D and P5D and I'll buy them both.

I didn't have a 3DS at the time of Persona Q's release but now that I do there's a 50/50 chance that I'll either buy it or youtube it like the first one.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do they have to go and ruin a good thing?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I am going to continue to play the main games and forget about everything else. I just want to know more about that SMT thing they announced for the Switch some time ago.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no real issues with them "milking" these games, as we got at least a few great games out of P4, and I was free to ignore the others. The idea that any of this weakens the quality of the main game is pretty dumb.

That being said, none of these are half as exciting as a new Arena game. Those were legitimately among my favorite fighting games ever. I'm cautiously optimistic about PQ2, as Persona + Etrian Odyssey is an idea I can get behind, but the first game never came together that well, so hopefully this one will.

P4D is the only spin-off I never touched, largely because of a lack of Vita. It was never an idea that got me super pumped, but I do really like P5's music, and that cast feels like they would be in a dancing game more than any of the others, so I could see myself picking up the PS4 version. Unless I really like it the P3 one seems like a skip though.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm honestly almost more excited about these than P5.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I loved Dancing All Night so give me more. Not a rhythm game fan but Persona is different.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need it.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waaaaaahh they're making spinoffs I don't need to play and that don't affect the source product in any way waaaaaaaahhhh

(hype. looks like I got a new cosplay to work on.)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It's good to know they're unwavering in their devotion to milk the hell out of Persona via spinoff games. Persona 3 is super weird for a rhythm game spinoff, just tonally, but I guess it's been more than a decade since that game originally came out so they can get away with whatever they want. Persona 5 Dancing? Sure. Yeah. I guess I'd consider picking that up. I really love the music in that game.

I have a sickness which obligates me to pick up every Etrian Odyssey game (and inevitably not finish most of them), so I hope Persona Q2 is a better dungeon crawler than the first one was. It would be nice if the characters weren't obnoxious caricatures of themselves too, but I'm not holding my breath.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have almost 80 hours of playtime in Dancing all night and I just can't stop playing it, so this is pretty much the greatest gaming related news all year. And since Dancing all night got me into playing P4G, maybe this'll get me to finally play P3 (and maybe P5), too.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Glad to see they're pursuing the Q stuff. That first game looked up my alley.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Wonder if every dance battle will end with Morgana popping up to say "Aren't you tired? Let's call it a day and get some sleep."

Also, Minato has some real smooth moves for a door.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they would have just had the rhythm game as as Theatrhythm type deal where it's a massive bundle of songs with no real story and you're just left to play whatever you want. Persona 3 has its goofy moments but the game itself is pretty dark and the characters aren't the type to bust out into dance like I could see the P4 cast doing.

Did ya see that Shinji? Watch me bust some sick moves up there with Miki.

Woohoo let's go Koromaru! If I nail this set maybe my alcoholic dad won't beat me tonight!

I was going to kill you to avenge my mother, and then kill myself, but I think we should have a dance off instead!

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see they're pursuing the Q stuff. That first game looked up my alley.

Putting those franchises together should of been an easy home run, but it did not turn out very well. The dungeon crawling was bad by Etrian Odyssey standards and the writing and story were terrible by Persona standards. Hopefully, they get it right this time.

(Or they stop with these little spin-off games and get busy on a new TMS#FE game.)

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really into another Q if it's as badly written and "puzzle dungeon" focused as the last one. The Dancing games could be fun but only if the button presses are actually timed to the song and the UI prompts aren't all one colour on the very edges of the screen. Wasn't into any of the remixes (literally none of them were superior to the regular tracks, and that's an issue) in P4D so hopefully there's less of that... but I seriously doubt they'll hold back.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will play these rhythm games and enjoy them but my god those names are so bad.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe the new Q will be good, the original had good music. As for the dancing games...no thanks. It was funny with P4 but now...heh.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I wish they would just work on a new IP now. Tokyo Mirage Sessions was the most interesting thing they've done in a decade because of how original it was (and that was just a cross over of two existing IPs). Atlus make fun games, and I don't think these spin offs ruin my image of the main ones or anything (I greatly enjoy some rhythm games, epilogues, and cross-overs) but I'd be so much more interested if they were completely new. A rhythm game not tied to any particular franchise, that can pick and choose from the entire Atlus catalogue would even be a step-up for me (even if it wasn't completely new).

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Is anything from the announcement as good as this?

Loading Video...

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zeik

@dixavd: They are. They announced that new fantasy RPG awhile back. That's definitely their big new IP for the forseeable future. I'm not surprised that the rest of their projects are existing IPs, since their A team seems to be focused on that.

I would like to see some more new IPs out of them though. Even just another original MegaTen spin-off would be nice. Pretty sure Digital Devil Saga was the last original MegaTen spin-off they did, and that was well over a decade ago.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I guess this was to be expected.

*sigh*

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: @zeik: Definitely interested in that. I just don't want Atlus with Persona (or SMT) to fall into Square Enix's problem of so much of their RPG talent being funnelled under that banner. I don't think it would be a travesty if it turns out they're in-house developed games always have some connection to SMT, but I just hope it doesn't turn into that. I'm also hoping they get better at dealing with console changes and reducing development time. This new Studio Zero sounds promising.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Persona 5 is a goddamn master piece and I'll stand by that. Just leave it alone, man. Persona 4: Milking all Night was bad enough.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I wish I could get that P3 trailer out of my head. I wish I still felt about P3 the way I did when I finished it for the first time. God damn that is a good game.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#46  Edited By stordoff

Well, there goes Spring 2018. Almost too excited for these :D

@donchipotle said:

Oh boy, glad to see the Persona 4 method of 'making the game worse with spin offs and shit' is holding strong still.

If you're worried about the spin-offs making the original worse, you should probably never watch the stage plays:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

@relkin said:

Was surprised to see a character from that roosterteeth show in the Blazblue trailer. Is that show that popular?

Apparently it got a fairly large following in Japan, which I imagine is a factor.

Edit:

Dancing (Blank) Night has to be one of the greatest/dumbest naming conventions for your rhythm game spinoff series.

It's a dancing game spin-off to P3. The whole thing is inherently great/dumb (and it's no worse than Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold as a name)

Regardless, it's more P3 music featuring Lotus Juice. That's enough for me to be interested.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@stordoff said:

Well, there goes Spring 2018. Almost too excited for these :D

@donchipotle said:

If you're worried about the spin-offs making the original worse, you should probably never watch the stage plays:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Unless the stage plays reduce the characters to stupid base-ass meme shit then they're still better than Persona Q.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw this happen at the actual event :D

Personally, I'm very excited for PQ2. I really want to see the P5 cast interact with the other games' casts because I love that sort of fan service. I don't care about the dancing stuff. It's fine for people who want it, but I'll never touch it. P3 MC shooting himself with a finger gun in that trailer got a laugh out of me though.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

@afabs515 said:

Saw this happen at the actual event :D

Definitely not jealous....

@afabs515 said:

P3 MC shooting himself with a finger gun in that trailer got a laugh out of me though.

I somehow missed that. That's pretty great.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope there are more characters announced for P5 Dancing cause my best girl Futaba was not shown. Kawakami (or Becky) would be a nice bonus too.