A small request for the GOTY 2010 Bombcast.

• 84 results
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rayfield

Hey there GB 

I imagine you guys are starting to think about Game Of The Year type stuff. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in about the annual bombcast for such deliberations. 

Do it like 2008, not 2009. 

Short and crude I know, but I feel I needed to make the point pretty clearly. 2009's bombcast seemed a bit over-complicated. What with platform awards and five days of other awards, it was a little hard to bear when you listened to half an hour of "Let's choose a third runner up - Rabbids Go Home or ExciteBots!" 

And it seemed a little meaningless to just talk about runner-up games for hours and then end each segment with the winner you've already decided on weeks before.

I hope I'm not coming across like an arrogant prick here but I'll sum up what I mean below: 

TEN GAMES. 3 HOURS. WHICH ONE WAS BEST?   

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

Word. +1

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#5  Edited By donutfever

I think I actually preferred the 09 ones, but it appears I'm in the minority.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

I haven't heard either yet (I'm listening to the backlog during my commute) but it sounds to me like this thread is true.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Potter9156

I propose a one minute and thirty second long GOTY Bombcast.  

Start music. Mass Effect 2. Runner up: Red Dead. Runner runner up: Starcraft. End music.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Whichever produces more hours of Bombcast tbh. Also, in a year in which Mass Effect 2 releases, as Ryan already said, it's not like there's much deliberation.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By vaiz

I agree with this a lot. I loved 2008's sort of 'suss-it-out' style. I liked hearing the guys seriously debate which out of 9 or 10 games deserves the gold, as opposed to "Okay, we already know we're gonna knock out three of these games from the get go.", especially when the two or three seemed almost pre-determined at times (Feeling like "how did this even make it in to the running?".).

I'd also love a return to the video awards. Those were pretty fucking funny.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nintendoeats
@Potter9156:@Rolyatkcinmai: I agree with ME2 as best game this year, but there was ALOT of good stuff released. It's no 1998, but these will be some tough deliberations.

And to anybody who doesn't have ME2: its under 20 bucks new. Criminally cheap.
MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#11  Edited By MightyDuck

I've only listened to last years GOTY podcast and loved it.  I listened to it during the 2 hour commute to my girlfriend's folks house.  It was a pretty awesome drive.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By ThePickle

I preferred the 2009 one, except for the audio issues. I hope they keep that format, and do the daily micro-casts. 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead
@billnyethesciencepie: No. Why?
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By benpack
@Potter9156 said:
" I propose a one minute and thirty second long GOTY Bombcast.   Start music. Mass Effect 2. Runner up: Red Dead. Runner runner up: Starcraft. End music. "
Shit we have a winner.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@DonutFever said:
" I think I actually preferred the 09 ones, but it appears I'm in the minority. "
I don't remember if they had categories in 08 other than GOTY but I just listened to the 09 one and like that format better than the 08 one.  It allowed for them to talk a lot about the GOTY picks extensively as well as a bunch of fun categories and discussions.
tracerace11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By tracerace11
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @DonutFever said:
" I think I actually preferred the 09 ones, but it appears I'm in the minority. "
I don't remember if they had categories in 08 other than GOTY but I just listened to the 09 one and like that format better than the 08 one.  It allowed for them to talk a lot about the GOTY picks extensively as well as a bunch of fun categories and discussions. "
Pure win here sir.  I want as much Bombcast as I can get.  I am freaking greedy for that stuff.  Don't ask for less.  That's like a fat kid who only wants a bite of cake.  HE WANTS AS MUCH FREAKING CAKE AS POSSIBLE!!!
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I much preferred '09's.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chokobo

greatly enjoy any and all content, regardless of delivery method.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ajamafalous
@Potter9156 said:
" I propose a one minute and thirty second long GOTY Bombcast.   Start music. Mass Effect 2. Runner up: Red Dead. Runner runner up: Starcraft. End music. "
I'll cry if ME2 wins GOTY.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By turboman

I preferred 09's

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dtat

I liked 2009 better, but I think 2008 style will work better this year because the top games were all multiplatform (well at least the top two). Not like last year where it was narrowed down to a a PS3 exclusive and a multiplatform. So pretty much if they tried to do it 2009 style, the GoTY would be decided by the best multiplatform game. So I think it makes more sense to do 2008 style. OP is right but for the wrong reason :P jk dude. 

But please make it 4 hours anyway. Talk as much as you want about as many games as you want! :D

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dany

I liked 2009 set up, i can listen to the whole thing once but it would be nice if it had some tags on it when they switched to talking about different games

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spoonman671

I had no problem with last year's awards podcasts.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I wasn't really here on the site during the 2008 ones, but I did enjoy the 2009 awards. 
So much bombcast, so awesome!

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vitor
@ajamafalous said:
" @Potter9156 said:
I'll cry if ME2 wins GOTY. "
Tears of Joy?  

I'd rather RDR win it personally - as much as I enjoyed the fantastic storytelling and characterisation prevalent in ME2, that game was no RPG and the shooting mechanics are still a generation behind something like Uncharted 2's. For all the talk of how much better of an action game it was than the first one, no-one seemed to care that the cover was way too sticky and it was a pain to quickly exit from, enemies took too many hits to down and your tactical combat options were extremely limited.  

Plus it was formulaic to a fault - almost every combat mission played out the same way (i.e. corridors filled with enemies followed by non-shooting exploration sections with no overlap - an issue many had with the first Uncharted where the platforming and action were kept pretty separate and I hold a similar thing to be an issue here) and nearly all the loyalty quests were borderline identical in terms of moral choices. Loved the game but not without heavy flaws. 

Also, Mako > Scanning.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Make it five hours! Mmmmmm

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rayfield

Hey make it 20 hours for all I care. Just put all the platform awards and runner-up nonsense on the site itself.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

Whichever system pumps out the highest quantity of audio. I just want length, don't care if they're split up or anything. 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ajamafalous
@Vitor said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @Potter9156 said:
Tears of Joy?   I'd rather RDR win it personally - as much as I enjoyed the fantastic storytelling and characterisation prevalent in ME2, that game was no RPG and the shooting mechanics are still a generation behind something like Uncharted 2's. For all the talk of how much better of an action game it was than the first one, no-one seemed to care that the cover was way too sticky and it was a pain to quickly exit from, enemies took too many hits to down and your tactical combat options were extremely limited.   Plus it was formulaic to a fault - almost every combat mission played out the same way (i.e. corridors filled with enemies followed by non-shooting exploration sections with no overlap - an issue many had with the first Uncharted where the platforming and action were kept pretty separate and I hold a similar thing to be an issue here) and nearly all the loyalty quests were borderline identical in terms of moral choices. Loved the game but not without heavy flaws.  Also, Mako > Scanning. "
No, legitimate tears. ME2 was my most disappointing game of 2010.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Personally I liked the level of detail they went into with the 09s but maybe that's just me.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FreakAche
@ajamafalous: Considering that you are a top hatted and monocled Krogan, I would assume that you would have loved Mass Effect 2.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By WickedCestus
@ajamafalous said:
" @Potter9156 said:
I wouldn't go that far, but I definitely don't seem to like it as much as most people do. It's definitely good, but I don't know if its up to the caliber of a GOTY.
bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bcjohnnie

Who the hell wants to hear less Bombcast?  If you want a tiny recording of dudes talking about just three games, then go to another site where that's all they talk about.  Personally, I love hearing them debate the pros and cons of some of the other games that came out this year.

I will chalk this up in part to the fact that ME2 and RDR, while clearly very good and polished games, just didn't do it for me this year.  But also I really like listening to these guys talk about games in general.

Also, why are these the only 2 options?  They've changed so much this year that I'd like to see if they have a new direction to go in with GOTY this year.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ajamafalous
@FreakAche said:
" @ajamafalous: Considering that you are a top hatted and monocled Krogan, I would assume that you would have loved Mass Effect 2. "
I loved the first game, but not the second.
innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By innacces14

'08 had the better podcast. Probably cause the weight in the question of which loved franchise has come to grips the best. '09 was a talk about who's the better new guy (virtually new since Drake's Fortune had quiet buzz behind it), but all in all it didn't matter to me. Either one could have won and I would have applauded the winner. All in all the '08 debate was one that could have seriously ripped any other gaming community apart and I agree with the OP.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rayfield
@bcjohnnie said:
"If you want a tiny recording of dudes talking about just three games,  "

Yes, because that sure was what I said in my original post. Yep that was it.
vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By vitor
@ajamafalous: I had a feeling that was more likely. Kind of know what you mean - despite really enjoying it at the time, the more I think about it, the more glaring the issues with that game become.  

Have to admit, irrespective of what some though to be dodgy aiming and driving, I think I far prefer the first one overall. 
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By scarace360

i preferred 09. Loved it long and awesome.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jasta

2009 method to be honest, the longer they talk about video games the better.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Bones8677

Both were fine for me. I could go either way. Though I still want to know what the best platform specific games are.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By ReyGitano

I preferred '09. 
It was longer, better spaced out, and I felt I got more meaningful insight into the debate process than I did with '08. 
 I either hope they keep the format, or experiment with something completely new.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I prefer 2006's i.e 2008

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ajamafalous
@Vitor said:
" @ajamafalous: I had a feeling that was more likely. Kind of know what you mean - despite really enjoying it at the time, the more I think about it, the more glaring the issues with that game become.   Have to admit, irrespective of what some though to be dodgy aiming and driving, I think I far prefer the first one overall.  "
I agree completely, though I wouldn't go as far as to add a modifier to 'enjoying it at the time'. I enjoyed it, but didn't really enjoy it. I would only consider it a slightly above-average game.
Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Blind_Evil
@ajamafalous said:

" @Potter9156 said:

It's going to, rest assured.  I don't like this reality either.  I liked the game (more than RDR anyway) but don't see how it is the hands-down, "we don't need to deliberate" GOTY.  Jeff made it sound like that a few podcasts ago.

My tastes are a little more niche, and I get the feeling the crew sometimes feels the need to represent the audience a bit much in these things.  They may be the "best" games of the year, but I'm more interested in the crews' "favorite" games of the year.  That's why I prefer the top 10 lists they all put out.

Regarding the GOTY podcasts: I'd rather not hear a 2 hour debate over whether MGS4 or GTA4, or Batman vs. Uncharted.  If this were the format this year, I'm sure it'd be the same thing over RDR and ME2.  As I haven't played RDR for more than an hour, I wouldn't be getting too much out of it.  I liked the broad approach where a larger number of games are brought into the conversation.
hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hexx462

I just hope it's extremely long and there are multiple heated debates. Even though I don't own a Wii nor do I care about Silent Hill games I really enjoyed Brad selling Silent Hill:Whatever Origins as Wii GOTY.  The whole pause for a break so Brad could spoil it followed by the crew returning and saying basically saying "Yep it's Wii GOTY" was fantastic.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Hmm, I should probably re-listen the '09 one. I can't really remember that much from it, 'cause I fell asleep during it. Not because it was boring, but because it was middle of the night, and I was really fucking tired.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By phrosnite

There won't be any arguing this year so no worries. Mass Effect 2 wins every category it's in. Overall, Xbox360, PC and RPG of the year... Next year will be more interesting...
I would like to see GB Top 10 games of the year along with their personal top 10.

buwchbach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By buwchbach

I think the 09' GOTY podcast is possibly one of my favourite Bombcast, so I would prefer it to be like that.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I loved Mass Effect 2, but I'm so sick of hearing about how it will easily be GotY. No. Red Dead Redemption, StarCraft II, and Alan Wake all say hi.

ME2 just had way too many problems. The story was weak on account of far too many characters with time spent developing them spread FAR too thin, the structure of the game was basically fetch quests, and the removal of pretty much every RPG aspect was horrible.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Gaff

December 31st. Whiskey Media. All day, 24 hours. GiantBomb, Tested, Screened, ComicVine look back at 2010 and say goodbye to the Aughties and hello to the Teens. That's all.