Gratuitous Klepek strikes again (GOTY, no spoilers)

• 191 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By planetary

Listening to GOTY day 1 podcast, best moment section. Ryan and Jeff made it clear - spoilers are fair game, when called for. But Patrick -- ONCE AGAIN, JUST LIKE LAST YEAR -- seems to think that this means that dropping and spewing them just for the sake of it is ok. God damn, man. Stop being a damn show-off!

Brad was 100% right. If a spoiler is necessary for the deliberations, fine. If not, just keep your mouth shut. Damn!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

What did he spoil? Or at least what game was it from?

Toadie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Toadie

What about there might be spoilers did you not understand. Maybe he thought it was important for discussion. If you don't want spoilers for the top games of the year, and you listen to this podcast, its your fault.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By beepmachine

They said right off the top they would be spoiling stuff from this year.

Faltru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Faltru

I think he spoiled something major in the day 2 podcast as well even after they had eliminated the game in question, so be careful about listening to these podcasts if you're worried about spoilers.

They did warn us up front that they could say anything and spoil any games. So you're assuming the risk just by listening. I don't see what it has to do with showing off.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Dude get over it. Don't listen to GOTY if you are afraid of spoilers or consult the time stamps podcast.

People are such whiners. Yeah he is a "show off" lol okay dude.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By rjayb89

Yeah, let's beat him up.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Show off how? What did he spoil that bothered you?

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By phrali

omg close this thread. we are not allowed to dislike patrick or anything he does, didn't you get the memo?

Toadie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Toadie

Yeah, close this thread, because if you can't be bothered to understand spoilers might be in a spoiler filled podcast, you have mental issues.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MiniPato

If you don't want to hear spoilers then don't listen to spoiler filled podcasts. Necessary spoilers or not, you knew the risk of listening and there was plenty of ramp up time during Patrick explaining the endings to Tokyo Jungle and Dragon's Dogma for you to turn it off.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By planetary

Ah, of course. We must protect Patrick and his feelings. I forgot... The Patrick Police Squad around here is making me sick.

Note: I'm actually fairly conflicted about this, because Patrick has it within him to make cogent arguments. But why must he be such a loose cannon and a douche the other 50% of the time? Arrgh. Patrick, I *want* to like you, but when you're playing hipster or self-involved man-child, I simply cannot.

Best that he leave the staff -- or at least the editorial staff. Put him on news, and keep him there.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By twigger89

@planetary said:

Listening to GOTY day 1 podcast, best moment section. Ryan and Jeff made it clear - spoilers are fair game, when called for. But Patrick -- ONCE AGAIN, JUST LIKE LAST YEAR -- seems to think that this means that dropping and spewing them just for the sake of it is ok. God damn, man. Stop being a damn show-off!

Brad was 100% right. If a spoiler is necessary for the deliberations, fine. If not, just keep your mouth shut. Damn!

Survey says, Irrational bitching!

They said they were going to spoiler things, if you didn't want anything spoiled then you shouldn't listen to the podcasts. It's your damn fault.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By samfo

I hate people who care that much about spoilers. Spoiler for walking dead here Duck Dies

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By endaround

Shorter planetary: How dare people point out the total illogic in my attacks on Patrick!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By stonyman65

@planetary said:

Ah, of course. We must protect Patrick and his feelings. I forgot... The Patrick Police Squad around here is making me sick.

Note: I'm actually fairly conflicted about this, because Patrick has it within him to make cogent arguments. But why must he be such a loose cannon and a douche the other 50% of the time? Arrgh. Patrick, I *want* to like you, but when you're playing hipster or self-involved man-child, I simply cannot.

Best that he leave the staff -- or at least the editorial staff. Put him on news, and keep him there.

Word.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By InternetDotCom

Isn't the first thing on the first day YO THERE WILL BE SPOILERS, LIKE ALL OF THEM?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By Giantstalker

@planetary said:

I agree with this sentiment very strongly. Well said.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Butler

I like Jeff's response when someone halted the conversation about spoilers and it was something the extent of "fuck off."

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jsnyder82

Spoilers: You care too much.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By kerse

They said there would be spoilers, sorry you're just being crazy now.

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Skogen

@MiniPato said:

If you don't want to hear spoilers then don't listen to spoiler filled podcasts. Necessary spoilers or not, you knew the risk of listening and there was plenty of ramp up time during Patrick explaining the endings to Tokyo Jungle and Dragon's Dogma for you to turn it off.

Thank you.

It's a series of GOTY podcasts. What do you expect?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MiniPato

@planetary said:

I don't see anyone protecting Patrick. Everyone is just questioning why you would listen to a spoiler filled podcast specifically discussing "Best Story" if you didn't want to hear spoilers for any 2012 games?

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Eh, they said spoilers. I mean, I don't remember what you're talking about in specific, but spoilers are fair game. It's not a "this spoiler is okay, but this one is not" situation for the GOTY stuff - it's all or nothing in these things in order for the best of the best to get to the top. They might make an off-hand remark about a gigantic spoiler, but you run that risk listening to these things.

I don't see what you folks don't get about that.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

Although I feel users have no reason to complain about potential spoilers in the GotY podcasts, it would be unfair for the guys if Patrick is needlessly tossing around spoilers. We have a choice in deciding if we want to listen to the podcasts, but the guys do not.

This obviously isn't what OP is getting at because if it is this thread wouldn't exist.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

To be fair Ryan said that any game that came out on or before 2012 (a bit facetious) and Jeff said fuck the people that cared about that stuff (not facetious.)

This doesn't seem the thing to criticize the podcast on. But wait I'm a "Patrick Police dude" or something because I think a spoiler warning on all games 2012 or prior means that games in 2012 or before are likely to be spoiled.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By freakin9

I don't mind the spoilers but I have to say the amount of deliberation for what's often dopey categories is over the top. It feels like they've decided that 2 hours MUST BE FILLED... so what the heck else do you expect other than a mountain of spoilers. But really, outside of the actual GOTY podcast which I'm fine if it's 5 hours long, they definitely get a little too into these less interesting categories.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By indiana_jenkins

I'm just glad that he managed to burn a member of the staff this time.

He taught me how to fly prematurely.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Brendan

Y'know what's funny? When people make legitimate criticism of a stupid thread, that is based in ignorance and thick-headedness, and the poster proceeds to defend him/herself by claiming the criticizers are simply "defending" the staff member in question.

Here's a hint: Read the posts. None are defending Patrick. They're belittling you for being an idiot.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30  Edited By granderojo

I really hate it when people complain about spoilers.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By George_Hukas

Are we talking about Tokyo Jungle?

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By VoshiNova
Dat Dunk is here to Stay...Lady
Dat Dunk is here to Stay...Lady
Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@obcdexter: Hopefully, a mod will deal with this one. Probably shouldn't quote the post.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

They said their would be spoilers for everything in video game history! Why are you angry?

DewRequired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DewRequired

@planetary said:

DISCLAIMER: I love GB solely because of the personalities that comprise it.

I'm pretty sure "loose cannon" and "douche" perfectly describe the way Jeff and Brad get when they're fighting over every GoTY debate that GB has ever had. If Patrick does not fit in perfectly with this group, then I don't know where he does.

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DemiGodRaven

@rjayb89 said:

Yeah, let's beat him up.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MetalGearSunny
The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By The_Nubster

@planetary said:

"Guys Patrick spoiled a thing and so he should lose his job! Wah wah wah."

Grow the fuck up.

On another note, don't whine and bitch about the people defending Patrick. One, because you're having a huge hissy-fit over a spoiler in Podcasts that were said to contain spoilers and shitting all over someone for something that's more or less your fault, and two, you are the one who started slinging shit about Patrick. Don't expect to badmouth someone and not have anyone defend him.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By viking_funeral

I'd warn people that fire is hot, but then I'd get blamed when they burn themselves.

Don't listen to spoiler-filled podcasts. Seriously.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#40  Edited By obcdexter

To address the topic: They did say right out the gate there would be heavy spoilers in the podcast, then Jeff - in his usual manner - added some snarky remarks that were intentionally over the top as much as they were illogical, if you take into consideration how much the GB crew then went on to talk about story-reveals, wtf moments and such. All of which would of course be ruined by a premature spoiler-reveal for anybody that hadn't played discussed games yet.

So what did I do? Didn't listen to the deliberations, of course. I haven't played Sleeping Dogs, Spec Ops, Far Cry 3 and AC 3 yet and simply don't want to know what happens in those games beforehand. Avoiding spoilers seems to be the right and, quite frankly, "fair" way to approach these or any game. Already made the mistake and - despite warning - read Patrick's article covering Spec Ops a few months back, spoiling myself to a point where I know my experience won't be quite as emotional as it could've been ... heck, I know it WOULD have been.

Again: My mistake entirely. I do give the crew props for addressing the issue beforehand, giving out a warning even in their GOTY podcasts. And no, I do not think people caring about spoilers are doing it wrong. Still: No way Patrick gets to be blamed for this one, since it was made clear from the very beginning spoilers will be part of the conversation.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By planetary

I am solid with spoilers in the GOTY podcast. But I am more in Brad's camp that they should be used when relevant, not willy-nilly or even higgledy-piggledy. The champion of the gratuitous spoiler which does not advance any GOTY argument is Patrick. He did it last year in 2011's GOTY and he continues to toss plot points around that are not necessary. Ultimately, despite agreeing that deliberations need no holds barred, I hold with Brad and not with Jeff (and certainly not with Patrick) on maintaining some sense of restraint.

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By panvixyl

@rjayb89 said:

Yeah, let's beat him up.

I'm gonna push that nerd into the sand and fart on him for what he's done!

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By Flappy

Spoilers? In a GOTY podcast? Baaaaaaalogna.

Get over yourself.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I don't know how this would be considered "showing off" and it was made clear that spoilers would be in the GOTY podcasts.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EXTomar

Uh, I thought it was pretty clear that for these discussions about "Hey Ryan/Jeff/Vinny/Brad/Patrick, why did you think X deserves to be on this list?" that when they needed to talk about spoilers to make their case they are going to spoil it.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By triple07

Why would you listen to the GOTY podcasts if you care about spoilers? I haven't gotten to a lot of the games they talk about so I'm not gonna listen to any of the parts that have spoilers in them. I don't see how someone talking about a spoiler when you were warned about it is "showing off".

Also Jeff doesn't want you listening to the podcast anymore if this is your attitude.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By planetary

Again, spoilers needed to advance an argument: fine. But spoilers when not necessary or material to the question: lame. Those of you who point out that Jeff should also be taken to task on creating an environment in which the Gratuitous Klepek can flourish have a good point as well.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By EXTomar

They are talking about the games in context of rewards. How do they do that without talking about the game or is that lame? Sounds like someone wants a podcast full of "Just take my word for it...it is so awesome!"

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hunter5024

I felt so bad for Brad when the Assassins Creed spoiler came out. I was like "NO!"

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By planetary

Talking about the game as needed: fine. Talking about it more than is needed (e.g. Frog Fractions) is just a douche move. Brad was right to try to get Patrick (and others) to STFU after a point, if only for Ryan's sake. Look, if it's a 45 minute fire fight between fucking Skyrim and Saints Row, I expect spoiler-laden scorched earth. But for these smaller awards, and after the answer is all but decided? To continue to go on about your favorite parts? Dude, jeez. Just STFU.