What kind of podcast would you personally like to hear?

• 109 results
jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Jeff has some of the more absolutely insane stories I've heard on the Bombcast. More of that could be pretty cool.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By ivdamke

A video game podcast would be cool, dunno why they stopped that for their food and booze podcast.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By jerseyscum

Everyone smokes some synthetic weed and attempt to do a podcast? That could be cool. We can place bets on who'll end up in the psych ward first.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theveteran13 said:

I think a music podcast every two months or so could maybe be cool.

Jeff and Austin talk about hip hop, Alex talks about metal, Vinny and Brad talks about dad/butt-rock, Jason talks about K-pop, Rorie talks about whatever indie garbo he likes. And if Dan actually starts liking good music maybe he can make an appearance too.

Dude, you can't have a dadrock podcast without Dan.

The problem with Dans dadrock is it's exactly what people think of as dadrock, we need forward thinkers to push dadrock into the future and Vinny is the hero we need.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A video game podcast would be cool, dunno why they stopped that for their food and booze podcast.

Come on. Listening to the Bomb Squad basically bullshit about nothing is why I love the Bombcast.

shozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a dude who is trying to get back into anime, I'd love a GB anime cast. BTW One-Punch Man is on Hulu and it's amazing. Only 3 eps. deep but it's very funny.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff said recently that he was interested in doing a music podcast, and that sounds awesome. Jeff is always listening to stuff (usually rap or hip hop) on his Mixlr, so it'd be really interesting to hear his opinions on music and his music tastes. Maybe not so much Dan though, he has made it pretty clear as to what he does and doesn't like.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An anime podcast in which Jeff can talk about Polar Bear Cafe and Golgo 13. Austin can talk about mechs and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Force Dan to watch Evangelion. Jason can join in.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay first off: bring back the Powerbombcast. It was one of the best wrestling podcasts out there and it needs to happen more often than "when they feel like it".

As far as other podcasts go, I'd be into them doing a topic driven show like say "The GameOverGreggy Show". The more Vinny talking about stuff we get on this website the better.

I'd love a news/politics show or a sports show too, but I'm not sure they have the number of interested parties on staff to make either one of those work. I could also see Jeff really against the idea of politics of any kind finding it's way into GB content.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd also love if they did a podcast about Serial. There's a few of those out there already and they're surprisingly listenable.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jerseyscum: Yea I agree, I was joking.

we need forward thinkers to push dadrock into the future and Vinny is the hero we need.

Wait what? isn't pushing dadrock into the future completely counter to what dadrock is?

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By wjb

@mellotronrules said:
@artisanbreads said:

I really have no interest in a music podcast at all. It just sounds like no fun to listen to. I'm a guy who likes and listens to a lot of music too (new and old).

that's my initial reaction as well. i'm a huge music nerd, and in theory i should love this idea (giantbomb music podcast). but i'm not sure they'd be offering what i'd want out of it- more specifically, exposure to new artists, deep dives on artist histories, and thoughtful interviews. it's not that i think they're incapable (giantbomb does great interviews, for one)- i just don't think they'll put the requisite time and work in.

i WOULD be 100% ok with a podcast where the hosts do deep dives into artists they feel passionate about and then posted accompanying spotify playlists. jeff could do a killer bay-area rap episode, give dan the opportunity to make the case for lynyrd skynyrd, give rorie a sleater kinney episode, etc. let people construct an argument for why [fill-in-the-blank] is the best [fill-in-the-blank] ever.

i just hope it's more advocacy and less criticism, because i'm not sure i'd have fun with a music podcast that followed the same format as the bombcast or powerbomb cast (in other words, let's-talk-about-the-week-in-music). it's just too damn subjective and (at a certain point) a little TMZ.

edit: also, i have no idea how licensing and fair-use goes for music shows, but this thing becomes substantially less interesting to me if they aren't able to play choice tracks (2 or 3, i don't need a full playlist) in the show itself.

I think I would be okay with a personal history of music for each of the participants, but I don't know if it will have legs. I'm amused when Jeff talks about the history of Ruthless Records to Dan or Drew, or Brad's humorous tale of when his dad took his tape of Use Your Illusion II because of "Get in the Ring" playing in the family car. I don't need a news/reviews structure or "Hey, that Future album is pretty dope, right?" conversations. I love the personalities of GB, but one of the reasons I stuck with them instead of someone else is because guys like Jeff and Brad have been in the games press for so long and know about things most people under 30 have only read about, if they're even that knowledgeable. Most aren't. They don't have that access in the music industry; they're just fans of (some) music.

I listen to Sound Opinions every week for years. It's a podcast with two critics, one from the Chicago Tribune and the other formally of the Chicago Sun-Times. It's a tightly edited show with licensed music, and the amount of knowledge that they have of the industry and the world of music is amazing. They have been professional critics since the 80's. The podcast has news up front and a couple of reviews at the end, but the bulk of the show is interesting subjects. Some shows lately involve:

• Sam Philips & Sun Studios
  • History of the Moog
  • Special Run the Jewels show at a local brewery
  • Deep dive of London Calling
  • Legacy of Ernie Isley
  • Tame Impala interview/performance

Besides the obvious music blogs/sites, I get into music history because of this show.

Again, I believe GB is capable, but would they even go to that much effort outside of what they already do now?

And that's always been the problem. GB is in a better place than they were a few years ago, but they can always be better. With the exception of the one episode of the book club, a lot of the content is stuff they already do or will do anyway.

A few watch wrestling regularly; make a podcast about it. Danny and Drew watch F1 regularly; make a podcast about it. Brad plays DOTA a lot; boom, DOTA at work. Jeff digs up old games in his free time; might as well make a show about it. Want to complete a game but don't have time to play at home; GBE Playdate is here. Everyone loves to give advice to those in need; make a podcast about it and have a dude from a sister site do all the groundwork. :)

None of these ideas are bad. Despite my tone, I like and enjoy most of them. But there's no stakes involved. It's essentially doing something you would've done anyway, but now you're getting paid at work to do it. The music podcast just seems to be part of the trend.

There is effort and time involved. I'm not shit-talking their work ethic. But as much as I would like more Spoilercasts, Retrospectives, and Game Clubs, it would require the guys to do something they wouldn't normally do. Maybe Spoilercasts, but that would require 3 or more of them to finish a game together within a respectable time period, which doesn't seem to happen much.

Sorry. They should do what they want, but it bums me out sometimes. These are simple, cost-effective suggestions, but them playing Tales from the Borderlands or whatever together in their free time for site content is too much to ask compared to other people, I guess?

TL:DR: The music podcast still doesn't seem interesting, but like everything else, I'll give it a shot.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

From the comments I've read people just want Dad Strength to return without explicitly saying so. Also, something about Hanime.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I'm really intrigued by the music podcast.

The anime podcast is obviously the correct answer, but there isn't a ton of anime happening with the crew lately. It would pretty much be the "Austin Walker occasionally talks about mech anime" podcast. The only mech anime I'm familiar with is Evangelion, so while that would be a cool podcast idea, I probably wouldn't get it because I don't know anything about no Gundams. My dream anime podcast would be whoever is on it watching the same series and talking about it. But again, that would never happen.

But yeah, a music podcast or any podcast that ties into a "cultural exchange" would be great.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baronsamedi said:

@jerseyscum: Yea I agree, I was joking.

@theveteran13 said:

we need forward thinkers to push dadrock into the future and Vinny is the hero we need.

Wait what? isn't pushing dadrock into the future completely counter to what dadrock is?

Not really, you're only pushing dadrock into the future as is inevitable as new dads keep cropping up, dadrock will still be 20-25 years behind present times so fret not.

What is known as dadrock now will become "the oldies" and people need to face facts and realize that Nirvana, Pearl Jam, RHCP, Green Day and the like are now dadrock.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theveteran13: That makes total sense and I feel like an idiot for not even thinking of it.

bushlemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best part of Danswers was when they were just talking about the guests' life. So a podcast where Danny and Dan do an in depth, personal interview with people would be great.

FaulPern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timeshero: Oh man I want to see him eat foie gras, tell him how it's made, and have him hang his head in disgust.

JamesFargoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: Rorie seems to have a pretty good taste in music. I wouldn't mind hearing Jeff talk about all the bad music he accidentally started liking. I tend to do the same thing; I still listen to HIM every now and then.

@hassun: I'd be interested in an Anime podcast for people that aren't really in to anime. Because I'm not at all and I know I probably should be a little bit. Also more Danswers would be great, they just need to talk about more stuff than relationships. Take a page out of mbmbam and go crazy with it, although I'm not sure anything could be a good as that.

@sloppydetective: A "what have you been watching?" podcast would be cool. Netflix has a million things on it and it would be great to hear what the crew likes.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Skype podcasts with dedicated audio for each person.

Pickup the Dadcast from Tested. Vinny, Dave and Will Smith (occasionally joined by Jeff Green or Hollywood's own Garry Whitta) were entertaining to listen to simply telling stories about raising children. It never sounded like they were complaining, just being real about the struggles and the joy of having children.

Other than that, every podcast edited by Vinny with expertly edited royalty free music and voice samples please (will settle for additional podcasts being edited at all).

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yeah, I would listen to the music podcast definitely.

toltendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A book podcast would be interesting, maybe get the crew to do a Danielle Steele read-a-thon if they're willing to, but the music one is something I would give a shot though.

TMBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Jeff talking about conspiracy theories, Art Bell style.

JamesGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something about indies (in my secret dreams, it would be indie MMORPGs - Star Citizen, Camelot Unchained, Crowfall...).

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

BRING BACK BOMB AFTER READING.

That is all.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the point of hiring @Austin_Walker if you're not going to do a roleplaying game actual play?

Oh right, the incredible write-ups.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A woodworking podcast, of course.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#80  Edited By Justin258

@edgaras1103 said:

Anime and manga would be nice, especially when it is not their forte.

This is actually what I thought. I heard that Dan and Drew watched Akira, I think it would have been cool to hear them talk about it in a sort of mini-podcast, for like fifteen or twenty or thirty minutes. Something like that for some of the more popular (and also shorter) anime shows or movies. I know they talked about it on a podcast, but all I remember Dan saying was "Yeah, I dunno, I didn't hate it, it was kinda like Metal Gear in ways".

I'd really like to hear Jeff Gerstmann's take on Ghost in the Shell. I understand that franchise might seem kinda daunting for a newcomer, though. There's two movies, two seasons of a TV show in a different universe, a movie for that TV show, another TV show that's a sorta prequel that may or may not be set in the same universe as the first TV show, the original manga and a few variations there, etc. Just watch the 1995 movie and both seasons of Stand Alone Complex.

A music podcast sounds kinda uninteresting.

LtTibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More Book Club and more Film and 40's

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By MrWakka

Mayo-cast, wherein the GB crew collectively kidnap and force Dan to try mayo.

Only needs 1 episode, so to make it a regular feature they occasionally kidnap and force him to eat other common staples and non-taco bell branded food.

No?... fine. I suppose an anime podcast could be interesting, or a Beast edition of GB unplugged with the return of v-bomb. Austin could GM, and it could introduce a rotating chair initially occupied by the parties new rogue: Jeff Backstabalar

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A Desert Island Discs style podcast? For those who don't know it's a long running British radio programme where a celebrity is interviewed and cast away on a fictional desert island. All they have for company are 8 pieces of music and a book.

Desert Island Discs

Swap the book for a game and we've got Desert Island Duders. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a movie podcast would be cool. Something where they announce a movie title for people to watch, then put out a podcast a week later discussing it. I know "How Did This Get Made" does that well already, but I'd always be down for more.

It's hard for me to say what else. I mainly listen to science and history podcasts, none of which I'd want to hear any of the GB guys talking about. An interview podcast would be neat. I like when the conversation comes naturally with the GB crew, I'm not sure I'd want to listen to a podcast of a specific subject. I think a couple hours per week of the Giant Bombcast is just fine.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'd love a music podcast to hear jeffs thoughts on hip hop and stuff. Dunno the other duders tastes but my thoughts might change if certain people are on it (not that I don't love them but when it comes to music)

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Retris

Man. The Beastcast this week is everything I had wished for and more. Hopefully we'll get some more of that at some point.

webnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A more regular Wrestling podcast and as well as an anime podcast. It'd be cool if they grabbed someone who isn't into anime and had them watch an episode or two then get their reactions.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

-The music podcast Jeff mentioned. I remember asking him like a year ago and he said he had no one to record it with; I'm guessing he found someone?

-The return of A Bunch Of Dads with the original cast (Vinny, Dave, Will Smith, Jeff Green). The first episodes are something special

-Exploring Life with Dan Ryckert: every episode a guest has to make Dan eat something new for him, drink something new, listen to a song/album from a new artist for him, do a new activity, and then they talk about these experiences. Special episodes when Dan travels to a foreign place

PS: Maybe better in video format and not as a podcast: "Mary and Vinny pyscho adventures extravaganza" Mary Kish and Vinny get to let their darker sides go unbridled in fictional settings (Videogames, Tabletop, Roleplay) to the dismay of a single straight companion (Drew? Austin?). Extra points the darker the things turn.

jpon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would love a board game one! I would also love to see an "Off-Topic" podcast to supplement Austin's fantastic weekly article. It could be a different person every week and just go on about whatever interests them that week.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love for that music podcast to be a thing. Especially with Dan's "NEWDAN" thing he's doing. Maybe, each episode, have Dan take a look at an album, artist, or genre he'd otherwise never listen to. If nothing else, the comment sections would be hilariously angry.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ltsmash

I can see them just doing a catch-all non video game podcast, covering music, movies, tv, books, wrestling, etc.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would actually like a StarCraft eSports recap podcast with clips from the weeks matches and highlights

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I would like to see more Box Office Bombs

Hurvilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An anime podcast, hosted by Austin and Vinny with guests, including a monthly Dan Ryckert appearance. Just do it already! We all know it would perform the living shit out of all the other premium podcasts (but I still want more Alt-F1).

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really miss the Screened Podcast so I wish the Box Office Bomb would be posted more regularly.

Sure, I found myself a nice replacement (The Weekly Planet) but I really miss Alex and Rorie talking about movies/puppies/Emma Stone.

More Danswers would also be great.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Longer Bombcast and Beastcast. My slight disappointment with both is that they have become a bit too regimented for me. With Brad as a host the chance for things to run on and go off topic are restrained and I feel that is a detriment. I don't come for this site for professionalism, I will literally pay for them to talk about mundane shit like tacos or what they did over the weekend.

When Vinny guested as host on the Bombcast that was one of the funniest things I've listened to in a long while. Now I feel he has fallen into the same trap too of keeping things on track. Which I fully understand why, but fuck it. Talk to me about the carpentry update or what ya made for dinner. I come for their personalities not the talk about games.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#99  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@butler: I would probably like that as well but one thing I will say is that I think people are a little off when they talk about this as if Brad made the change. I've been listening to a lot of old Bombcasts and I had forgotten how Ryan would have them talking videogames like 30 seconds into a podcast. Tangents could come later but they used to get right to business pretty much.

I think the thing that limits them is they think the podcast is already long enough. Right now it's a lot longer than it used to be. Hey I'd listen to even longer (I used to listen to a full 3-4 hour radio show every day plus other podcasts) but I know many people complain already. If the Bombcast was like 4 hours I would be happy but it would require them to do something different I think with the structure. Add some segments or something which I would like.

Whatever they choose, I hope they do experiment with podcasts some because they could the way they do with video but they haven't tried much beyond some one offs (Book/Movie Club) or small runs of a lot of interviews in the Presents feed.

Littleg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the Red October Film 'n' 40s, so I could definitely go for more of them. Alt-F1 Off-Season would be OK too, do it Film 'n' 40s style where Danny and Drew watch a race (not necessarily F1 - they could take suggestions from the community) that is available to watch online and record themselves talking over it and then we can watch along later...

And, following on from @dave_tacitus's idea of Desert Island Duders, another BBC format that I've always thought was ripe for stealing for video games purposes is Fighting Talk - get a panel of duders answering off-the-wall questions vaguely related to the gaming news of the week and they get points for how insightful/funny/both they have been. I wanted to do this with some friends at another gaming site I go to, but never had the talent, drive or wherewithal.