Dan Ryckert is going to GBEast full-time come this winter.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I'm just happy GBEAST is functional now. When Vinny moved there, I remember it taking ages for something to happen. If it's gonna be a TREND for people on the West Coast to settle on the East Coast, I'm glad GB can just transfer people to a working office there rather than them quitting.

This puts some more pressure on that new hire, though. Dan has been in like 90% of GBwests premium content the years he's been there. Hope they get someone with some energy to replace him. I can't even remember the last time Jeff played a game for a video series, and Brad's Demon's Souls run was while Vinny was there. But CLEARLY hire someone who's already married and settled, or you're just gonna lose them again to GBEAST at best.

I am NOT ready for Dan to play the remaining four or five Mario Party games with the GBwest gang before Christmas! That's impossible!

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By personandstuff

I like Dan best, as a person in content, when he's out of his element. When he's in Metal Gear Wrestlingville, that can get old -- at least as someone with minimal affiliation to those things. Vinny and Alex seem like good people to push him outside his comfort zone. Adventure games and all that.

Shame Drew never did a flight simulator quick look with him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I would love for Mary Kish to join GBWest. She has always been great when she has joined on UPF's and such. But I'm not holding my breath on GB hiring any Gamespot people.

It would be really cool to see a woman and/or person of color join. Obviously someone who they mesh with really well but that goes without saying.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mary Kish would be a great addition but she is a producer. As much as Giant Bomb is a personality driven site, they still probably want a news editor.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@avenlaya said:
@wemibelec90 said:

Very disappointed. Dan fits so much better in the West office.

Loading Video...

I felt the same way, until this gem happened. And then I knew everything would be alright.

The real problem will be finding someone in SF that will replace him. Dan was really good and helping with Brad's dry humor and was perfect for bouncing Jeff's jokes off of. It'll be hard to find someone to take his spot.

"I can build a bench!" might be Dan's finest line ever.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Huh. I thought it was a possibility, but I guess I didn't actually expect it to happen. I wonder if it has anything to do with housing prices in the bay area. (Disclaimer: I've been busy and haven't listed to the podcasts in a couple months.)

GBWest is the OG home of Giant Bomb, but it's starting to feel like a skeleton crew. I heard they had no plans to add additional staff, but now I'm curious how that will actually play out.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, this was no surprise. Still, as a guy who is less and less thrilled about the prospect of change as I get older, I can't say I'm loving this.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@viking_funeral: you heard they had no plans, despite the fact Jeff has been saying for a while now that the hiring process is due to start?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inoajd said:
@ripelivejam said:

@druv: i hope it's whoever is best for the job.

Dan was an absolutely terrible hire as so many predicted because he's an evil straight white man. Not like he singlehandedly turned the site around and now immediately brought back Endurance Runs when he joined Vinny for a month.

Yeah, you're right, he didn't do that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@capum15 said:

@peleus said:

Can the Crew survive 4 mario partys in that short of a time span

Their bodies?

Probably.

Their sanity?

No chance.

Their bodies?

Maybe not if the nacho cheese oreos make an appearance each time.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@lonelyspacepanda: It's fine that you feel as if they've slowed down on content production, but you are wrong.

But seriously, this sounds like it's gonna be great! Somehow Dan going to GBeast has already produced the impossible, that of a new ER so this can only continue to mean horrible suffering for everyone in the East office. I can't wait.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And to think, a month ago people were screaming that Dan shouldn't be allowed in the GBEast building. That said, that's really cool and I'm glad to see the move permanent.

...but does that mean Alex will be subjected to a Mario Party Party?

I strongly suspect there will be a small subset of people who are going to whine about this like crazy unfortunately.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By abrasion

@druv said:

@r3dt1d3: I hope it's someone who's not a white guy, but most of all I hope it's someone younger, the guys are falling into a nostalgia spiral lately and due to their lives have less time to discover new stuff.

Oh boy, this garbage again, we had to endure this 2 months before Dan was hired, Jeff ended up having to make a public notice about it.

The best person for the job, be it GBWest or GBEast is _the best person for the jobperiod.

Jeff had to endure an onslaught of "you MUST hire X or Y or you people suck" he hired Dan and people whined and you know what happened? Dan fit the team AWESOMELY.

Best chemistry with the team, best knowledge, funniest, smartest, whatever combination, it's best person for goodness goddamn sakes, nothing more, nothing less.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@supersambo:

See also:

(Disclaimer: I've been busy and haven't listed to the podcasts in a couple months.)

I can edit my post to say 'last I heard' if that makes you feel better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abrasion: I don't really see the issue with someone hoping that the person GB finds to be the best for the job as you say, is also a person of color or woman so that it brings some diversity to the group.

At least that is what I got from his post.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magmamud said:

@abrasion: I don't really see the issue with someone hoping that the person GB finds to be the best for the job as you say, is also a person of color or woman so that it brings some diversity to the group.

He literally said "I hope it's someone who's not a white guy"
Are we here to fill a quota or find a very particular piece that fits into a pretty smooth operating machine?

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No more change! No more change! But, seriously, that's cool, looking forward to the new east coast adventures.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abrasion said:
@magmamud said:

Are we here to fill a quota or find a very particular piece that fits into a pretty smooth operating machine?

I also hope they find someone who's not a white guy. That would be pretty cool. I have no problem pushing for some diversity if possible.

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I will be interested to see if the new GBWest ad is for a news editor. I would like it to be as I feel like Patrick and Austin being annexed from the west crew led to their writing being a bit of an afterthought, just a blog hosted on the site. A writer like Austin could direct conversation in the west office to interesting places. But the site is also constantly moving to more video and podcasts, so I dunno.

But anyway, congrats Dan! GB is a better place for you, in either East or West office.

Avatar image for thekitkatshuffler
thekitkatshuffler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magmamud said:
@abrasion said:
@magmamud said:

I also hope they find someone who's not a white guy. That would be pretty cool. I have no problem pushing for some diversity if possible.

So if they go out and get someone with the exact same personality traits and background as Dan but who happens to have non-white skin and a vagina that would be preferable to you?

That's so weird.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#125  Edited By Jeldh

@magmamud said:
@abrasion said:
@magmamud said:

I wouldn't want them to actively search for a non-white guy but I hope the person they find who is perfect for the job just so happens to be a woman, just to change it up a bit. You know what im saying?

Also; Good luck to Dan! The "everybody hates on Dan"-thing got old pretty quick for me so this change is great.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, this was no surprise. Still, as a guy who is less and less thrilled about the prospect of change as I get older, I can't say I'm loving this.

At least he isn't leaving, Patrick and Austin leaving hit me pretty hard. It's great that Giant Bomb features as a launch pad for people figuring out stuff but man, I don't take it very well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrcaptain: I do know what you're saying, and it's pretty much where I stand too.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep.

It's weird not to hope that they hire the best PERSON for the job.

So if they go out and get someone with the exact same personality traits and background as Dan but who happens to have non-white skin and a vagina that would be preferable to you?

That's so weird.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Jason is the real winner

s-bot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fun times roll on at GBEast

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good to see we don't prioritize skin color and gender over qualifications for the job.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By probablytuna

Godspeed you sonuvabitch O7

It's gonna be sad not having Dan in the GB West office but damn if Vinny and Dan don't make a great team together.

Takoyaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Takoyaki

I'll miss seeing Dan on UPF but he seems like a really good fit for GBeast and I look forward to seeing him, Vinny and Alex searching for sailors in Yokosuka.

Also, does this mean the new hire will be going to the SF office?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takoyaki said:

I'll miss seeing Dan on UPF but he seems like a really good fit for GBeast and I look forward to seeing him, Vinny and Alex searching for sailors in Yokosuka.

Also, does this mean the new hire will be going to the SF office?

Same. First Shenmue episode was pretty great.

And yes, new hire will be joining GBWest.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I have nothing meaningful to say except I called it.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Dan's synergy while temporarily over there so this is good news to me.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So GB East is going to be a very different thing now which means I am way less interested in it. Also means I'll be watching less Giant Bomb in general instead of just less GB West like I have been doing.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By BojackHorseman

@jonny_anonymous: Because you don't like Dan?

Two things: 1. How is it possible to not like Dan? 2. Tough.

This actually gives me a reason to watch GB East videos and listen to their podcast. Dan is going to give that office the lift it needs. Vinny can't hold down the fort alone.

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Sysyphus

People will, and have, always complained about any and every change this site goes through but IMO it always works out for the best. I understand people get iffy about change but it's not the end of the world.

Dans move to NY is going to be great, he really fits in with the GBeast crew!

Looks like there will be a new hire at GB west, as Jeff said there will be an opening. Just hope when the time comes we don't see any nonsense like the crap around hiring Dan and Jason in the first place.

All the best Dan, you're gonna kill it!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman: Yes, I actively dislike Dan.

Alone? Are you under the impression that Alex and Austin did nothing?

druv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a couple of separate issues here which people confuse: content and recruitment. The reason I would prefer someone who's younger and not a white guy is simply one of content. I think it would be best for the product to have a diverse set of voices. Someone younger (or simply young at heart) who can focus the crew on new and exciting products they might otherwise miss is an important aspect. Another is someone who can speak authoritatively from their own experiences with gender and race issues in videogames. Now, there are certainly many issues in the world which a contributor can have experience with: Pat Baer talking about the fansub community is perfect for me! But gender and race issues are topics that come up with some frequency and where every time I feel like they're doing their best, but are lacking somewhat in knowledge and experience. This doesn't mean that they're supposed to comment on the presidential election or the latest police shooting or the dynamics of the BLM movement, it just means that when these issues come up in culture, as they are wont to do, the crew as a whole are better equipped to handle it in QL's and podcasts*.

I take it as a given they'll hire someone who they have good chemistry and banter with, and someone who's driven and produce plenty of content. This is just what I want in addition to that because I think it makes Giant Bomb better.

Recruitment is a different thing all together, and it'd be ludicrous to think that Jeff, et al. are villainous racists/sexists. But we do know that implicit biases exist and recruiting people who aren't white guys (but are just as capable as the ones considered) can be more difficult. So while I agree with the person who said they shouldn't limit their search, I do hope they will make additional efforts to find candidates who are more diverse. And then hire the best person for the job.

*there's a risk that this will lead to whoever it is becoming the default MINORITY CORRESPONDENT, but that's difficult to avoid to some extent; I'd hope it also makes the rest of the guys more willing to go deeper and talk more securely on those matters.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

We really need a "thread where people can talk about hiring diverse people" so they stop putting it in any thread about the site changing up where people are or people living and trying to wish them well.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a certain character type i genuinely enjoy watching and Dan plays that role very well. Dan adds a lot of weird goofball energy to whatever he does and I appreciate that. I honestly believe if Giant Bomb sent Dan Ryckert to Antarctica, there would be some awesome content there. I'm genuinely excited for him to try this new adventure in New York! Good Luck!

ps i thought danswers was weird and i'm glad that is ending. If you liked it, that's fine, i'm glad you enjoyed it. Just thought it was weird people wrote into to ask Dan Ryckert what they should do with their lives when he eats Oreo Nachos and Periscopes trips to Taco Bell. If you honestly believe that man can figure out what's missing in your life, more power to you. I thought it was weird. Please don't hate me.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan helped bring back the endurance run, so he is a saint in my eyes!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, he's got great chemistry with Alex and Vinny! He did have that with the West crew as well, though. Hope they'll find a good replacement for Dan.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, so it's really happening. Personally, I am sure that'll be great, what I've seen of Dan over at GBeast have been pretty great all around and it seems like he's got good vibes with those guys as well. Can't wait to see what comes of it! And I am really curious what a potential new hire for GBwest will turn out to be. I'm positive for all of it. Here's to embracing change and shuffle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@ballsleon: Kessler is fantastic, I wish he was joining the crew.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to say this makes me sad but the chemistry Vinny and Dan is to great. I was doubtful at first but Dan fits in really well at GBeast.

figurehead00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll miss Dan/Jeff Quick Looks and Demo Derby, but I love Dan on the east coast so I'm excited.

As far as the west is concerned, I don't care if it's realistic or not my fingers are crossed for Mary. She's hilarious and already meshes well with everyone.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#150  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@upperdecker: lol I feel you but at the same time Dan has had a pretty awesome life. He works hard, has a lot of passion, and has accomplished basically all his goals through brute force and will. And the apparently found a woman he loves. I wish I was doing as well right now. I would trade my ability to know what egg whites are for that.

Plus Dan got me to meditate and face my anxiety issues so major props to him for that.

Danswers just had the classic advice show thing where you get asked the same questions over and over and over. Rebel FM when I used to listen to that eventually stopped doing those advice questions for the same reason.