Dan Ryckert is going to GBEast full-time come this winter.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Dan fits really well with the East crew but I will for sure miss his chemistry with the West guys, specially with Drew and Jason.

I hope whoever goes to the West next can deliver as much creativity as Dan and hopefully is someone who is good at supporting Jeff's humour. A new Vinny/Ryan type of person on the West office would be really great.

I also hope Dan's departure doesn't mean the end of Demo Derby. It's one of my favourite shows on the site.

NemeanOtter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dan seems to have great chemistry with the East crew as well. I'm curious who will be filling his chair in SF.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan will bring out the evil side of Vinny that went slightly into hibernation with fatherhood. This will be wonderful.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great news for GBeast, bad news for GBWest. Without a content machine like Dan SF has a very big hole to fill.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I'm really happy for Dan. I'm sure he will be a fine addition over at the GBeast, and I can't wait to watch the Shenmue Endurance Run. I'm still really excited to see who they bring over to San Francisco. Dan and previously Austin really contributed a lot to the site, so here's hoping they find somebody great who adds to the dynamic between Jeff, Brad, Drew, and Jason.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@shagge said:

I just hope like hell that this doesn't mean the end of Demo Derby.

That was my initial reaction too. I think Dan has proven himself a good fit on the East Coast, but I really want to see Giant Bomb's best feature continue.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of OTP talk in this thread.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@kasaioni said:

A lot of OTP talk in this thread.

OT what? What is that?

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: One true pairing. Anime business I think.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny with Paul (during his annual Super Bowl visit to wherever Dan is living at the time) is going to be incredible.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, whatever they do next in Kerbal is going to be a disaster!

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He will be super missed, he fit really well in the west. I enjoy his bullshit, it's great.
Now to worry about who is put in at the west to replace him,........ oh boy.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Dan's no Austin, but alright, this'll be interesting to see. Also makes me wonder if someone will fill Dan's spot on Demo Derby or if it'll be just Drew and Jeff. 3 people is what makes that feature so good.

Either way I'm glad it isn't immediate, Dan's familiarity with Symphony of the Night kind of ruined that first episode for me. I'll be glad to see them finish Vinnyvania before he comes onboard.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By frytup

Well, at least we don't have to listen to him bitch about San Francisco anymore.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is a cool development and think it will lead to some hilarious stuff.

Have full faith in the West Coast guys to bring on someone new who will be a great fit. Jeff has such a great ability to find and nurture talent.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By rkofan87

@johnymyko said:

Dan fits really well with the East crew but I will for sure miss his chemistry with the West guys, specially with Drew and Jason.

I hope whoever goes to the West next can deliver as much creativity as Dan and hopefully is someone who is good at supporting Jeff's humour. A new Vinny/Ryan type of person on the West office would be really great.

I also hope Dan's departure doesn't mean the end of Demo Derby. It's one of my favourite shows on the site.

hay can dd move to gbeast?

and we got shenmue yay.

the dream of mgrs is dead so that sucks but oh well good luck dan.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan is basically Austin so that works out.

mankvill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moving to NYC in the winter? Has he learned nothing?

r3dt1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really liked the dynamic of Dan on the beastcast and a few of their videos. I feel like Vinny and Alex are good about being excited to teach Dan something rather than the West office which kinda just sighed a lot when he didn't know things. Time to see GB West hire a non minority and people throw a tantrum again :D

Obeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Obeast

I'm super happy for Dan and future Ryckert, Bianca. After the month of exile and seeing/hearing him with the GBEast crew, I think he fits a lot more with them than the main crew (although I will miss Dan going into heel mode with Jason).

@rkofan87 said:

hay can dd move to gbeast?

I bet they could work something out like the last Hitman video where Dan skypes in and talks with Jeff and Drew while they handle the controller. Either that, or they could ship the demo discs they've accumulated, and have it be Dan, Alex, and Vinny (and maybe Jeff Bakalar if he's available for an hour or two).

Edit: Also, keep in mind that he'll be back in SF for if/when both coasts combine forces, especially GOTY and if they ever do another Big Live Live Show or some other big thing that would be a good excuse to bring the East guys out.

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah as long as Demo Derby continues then we all good. Dan seemed to like NYC alot (as did I when I visited 2 years ago) so this is good for him! I am actually looking forward to having a new guy in the GBWest office, see how we shake up that dynamic in SF. Everything is great!!!!

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb will now be the only wrestling organization to actually somewhat follow a loser leaves town stip

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yes. More Dan and Vinny is a great thing in my opinion!

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And to think, a month ago people were screaming that Dan shouldn't be allowed in the GBEast building. That said, that's really cool and I'm glad to see the move permanent.

...but does that mean Alex will be subjected to a Mario Party Party?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah as long as Demo Derby continues then we all good. Dan seemed to like NYC alot (as did I when I visited 2 years ago) so this is good for him! I am actually looking forward to having a new guy in the GBWest office, see how we shake up that dynamic in SF. Everything is great!!!!

Oh man, l I forgot about demo derby. I hope they keep doing that, or at least do one before he leaves.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

confirmed: san francisco is a garbage hellheap that is burning

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The hype is real.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is fantastic; Dan and Vinny are an amazing combo, and the triple threat worked well together in the first Shenmue video. Hell, Dan and Alex together could lead to some cool old wrestling game stuff!

Now just hire Dave again to fill the gap and you've got a deal. Kessler stays gone until he can prove he's bought a new wallet.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Dan is so great he has good chemistry on both coasts. Best wishes for him for the move!

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

I'll miss Dan and Drew stuff. Metal Gear Scanlon was amazing. So ends the idea of Danjo-Kadrewie.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@deerokus said:

Dan will bring out the evil side of Vinny that went slightly into hibernation with fatherhood. This will be wonderful.

Yes, we saw glimpses these past few weeks (and Alex was helpless to stop it). Very exciting prospects coming up.

hunterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#82  Edited By hunterob

I hope this also leads to more cross-coast videos, as Hitman videos need to have both Dan and Brad in some capacity. I think this is smart, as Alex and Vinny have been kind of stale imo without Austin and I think Dan and Vinny work really well together. I actually kind of hate the not-sure-if-real antagonistic relationship with Jason, I've had way too much of that in my personal life and it was just grating to me. I do enjoy Dan's chemistry with everybody else on the SF staff though.

As for the opening... maybe hire Johnny V. for the time being?!?

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for Vinny to troll Dan again :D

Now is the time the snatch the Kish for the west coast! She clearly wants to do more long form video (see the RE playthroughs they started) so what better place than here at GB (whoever is against the idea is clearly from Cincinnati and is biased)

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I'm going to miss the amazing combo of Dan/Drew/Jeff for Demo Derby (the actual best thing on the site). Also I was kinda hoping we'd get another, well, more cerebral person to fill in Austin's position at GBEast, but Dan/Vinny is fun so we'll see. No idea who the hell will fill in his position on the West coast.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#85  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I know some people may not like it, but I think Dan will do wonderful out there. I've enjoyed all the content he's been in on the beast coast office, so call me excited.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: im personally a fan of Deff and Bran. Daustin was nice while it lasted. <3

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not surprising after all the rumors over the last month. Can't wait to see what crazy stuff is gonna go down at GB East.

And to the people complaining about Dan leaving GB West and all the shuffling around... With California running out of water (and, you know, the constant fires aren't helping much either), there probably won't be a California within the next few decades so GB East will be all that's left after everyone moves to the east coast lol.

druv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@r3dt1d3: I hope it's someone who's not a white guy, but most of all I hope it's someone younger, the guys are falling into a nostalgia spiral lately and due to their lives have less time to discover new stuff.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@druv: i hope it's whoever is best for the job.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yes, I like this. Very good.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't say this is exactly what I wanted, but it will be interesting to see what Dan brings to GBE. Are they still hiring someone new? I haven't seen the panel yet. I'm still waiting for an Austin shaped hole in my heart to be filled :(

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_navster: That's just what happens when you get married. You move to New York.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get ready for constant 3 hour Beastcasts.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He fits in well with the Beast and they definitely need a 3rd person out there for some variety. It does seem almost everything lately out of West (MGScanlon, Demo Derby, Hitman, MPP) has been pushed by or include Dan, only really Ranking of Fighters didn't. I just hope that they can keep the amount of content up and whoever comes in also has good ideas for new series

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

Now is the time the snatch the Kish for the west coast! She clearly wants to do more long form video (see the RE playthroughs they started) so what better place than here at GB (whoever is against the idea is clearly from Cincinnati and is biased)

She's great and always enjoyed when she's featured on a GB video. But it's not likely. She fills a crucial role as a producer for Gamespot and they just lost two of their biggest staff members this week, so they probably want to hold on to the familiar faces they have. It would be cool to see more Gamespot staff integration but I think we would have seen that happen already by now (Professional Wednesday lasted what? Two episodes?)

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cagliostro88 said:

She's great and always enjoyed when she's featured on a GB video. But it's not likely. She fills a crucial role as a producer for Gamespot and they just lost two of their biggest staff members this week, so they probably want to hold on to the familiar faces they have. It would be cool to see more Gamespot staff integration but I think we would have seen that happen already by now (Professional Wednesday lasted what? Two episodes?)

Who else left GS this week?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really bummed about this. :-/

Love him on the West Coast. Depending on who they replace him with, this could be major sads.

Avatar image for thekitkatshuffler
thekitkatshuffler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems the guys are getting old, busy with their domestic life and don't have the energy or time they used to. So why not offload that to someone else, while still having some presence? I'm kind of joking but also ... kind of not?

Jeez, you need to be careful with that stuff, dude! I said that on Twitter a few months back and @brad has blocked me ever since.

My initial reaction to the Dan news was one of horror but then I realised there's loads of GB East content I don't watch at the moment and having Dan on board might give it the balance it needs to get me interested.

Plus the content he was involved with over his trial period in New York was great. The build a game feature (with Alex Zandra) and Vinny Vania episode were both excellent, so looking forward to it more and more now.

It's super important that they get the West Coast recruitment right though. Like it or not, those guys do seem to have slowed down as domesticity has taken over. Which, super awesome as that is for them as people, does necessitate an injection of energy from the new guy/gal. I've no reason to think they won't get it right though, so bring it on!

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

@betaband: Rob Crossley, the UK Editor. I always liked him. His videos were like ASMR, with his soft, calm voice. Have to wonder if he and Danny are going to the same place together.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit, so much happened while I was sleeping.
I think Dan has already shown to have great chemistry with Vinny and Alex so I'm excited.