Dan Ryckert is going to GBEast full-time come this winter.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

I mostly consume GB East content, so this is great!!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey, as long as this doesn't kill Demo Derby, I'm happy (could I ever hope for a Demo Derby East?). Dan seems to genuinely prefer the east coast, and he's a fantastic foil for Vinny and Alex. The stuff coming out of East the past month has been fantastic, and has really made the transition after seeing Austin off smoother than I could have ever expected.

I'm pretty excited to see what GB West does going forward. I hope they can take on another person, but I totally understand that's a pretty big process.

All said, this seems like an overall positive thing.

Danbri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a question that hasn't been presented:

Will the Paul and Dan Ryckert bi-annual features continue with a cross-coast move?

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't know how I feel about the possibility of no more Mario Party Party.

Boo?

Yay?

Anyway, good luck Dan.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario Party Party is happening Dan said that before he leaves they will finish them.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@peleus said:

Can the Crew survive 4 mario parties in that short of a time span

Forget that. We're getting Vinny/Alex/Possibly Jeff Bakalar/Dan Mario Parties!!

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Whilst I'm sad to see him leave the SF guys, I have been loving Dan with Vinny and Alex so that's a real positive.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@doerr007 said:

Mario Party Party is happening Dan said that before he leaves they will finish them.

Oh, well if Dan said it...

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@peleus said:

That would be awesome, but I don't think they have a comfortable (large enough) studio for then to do that easily.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@danbri said:

Will the Paul and Dan Ryckert bi-annual features continue with a cross-coast move?

Pretty much? As is, Paul already had to fly out to where Dan is to record them in SF, so as long as they keep up that tradition he can just fly to NYC instead of SF. I wouldn't say it's more or less convenient either way, and I think Paul would have an interesting chemistry with Vinny and Alex if that ever happened.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@rigas said:
@undeadpool said:
@peleus said:

That would be awesome, but I don't think they have a comfortable (large enough) studio for then to do that easily.

Since WHEN is Mario Party EASY?!?

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If its a better fit for Dan, than thats whats best. He just better complete his mario party legacy before departing the west.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well shit, it might be time for me to finally cancel my subscription. I just don't like his content at all.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@arabes: I personally don't get the Dan hatred, he's probably my favourite of the crew (they're all my favourite though in their own ways) - wouldn't you keep your sub because now he's off of UPF?

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_insano: Just to be clear, I don't hate the guy as I don't know him. I'm sure in person he's totally fine but I don't enjoy the material he produces for the site and I find his whole being an ignorant fool routine to be tiresome. I'm pushing 40, that kind of shit stopped being entertaining when I left my teens.

In relation to what you were saying about UPF, Dan not being on it wouldn't draw me back to it anyway. I find it to be a poor segment as they only briefly showcase games they are into. I like series where they have time to dive deep like Vinnyvania or Kerbals. I enjoy seeing people gain an understanding of the game and develop tactics and strategies to overcome its challenges. On top of that the games showcased on it don't do much for me as my interests (RPGs, colony/city builders, strategy, tactics) aren't shared by the west coasts guys so those types of games don't feature.

I mostly just watch GBEast stuff since Vinny and Alex set up over there and think those two are a good match. I really enjoyed the time Austin was there and his interest and mine line up quite well so this is too much of a hard turn for me.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@arabes: I understand - at 30 I find Dan to be pretty funny as I find him pretty upfront and honest but I can see where his schtick could wear thin. The Austin - Dan swap is a swap of extremes

BFZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My two cents?

Awesome change.

Brings an established presence to the EC team. As someone who enjoyed their content but always thought it could be a bit better, this is a great fit. Vinny and Dan are great together and Alex's personality makes him the bread to the Dan/Vinny PBJ. Super excited to see NEW content from them. Look at the Shenmue run already. Great stuff.

As for the WC team. I have zero concerns. Remember when everyone got all bitchy when Dan/Jason got hired? Yeah...

This allows them to bring in someone new, which means more NEW content. Don't expect them to sit on their heels. Competition brings out the best in people. If the EC is pumping out great new content, I expect the WC to do the same.

As for a new hire? I could care less who it is because regardless it will bring some sort of fresh take that Jeff has proven in past hires.

Good luck to all and I'm pumped to see where it goes!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

But but but where's the rampant speculation about who the new GB West team member is?

It will be revealed to be Dan's never before mentioned twin brother, Don!

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They can still finish out the Mario Party series whenever they go to PAX. Right?....

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@danbri said:

Pretty much? As is, Paul already had to fly out to where Dan is to record them in SF, so as long as they keep up that tradition he can just fly to NYC instead of SF. I wouldn't say it's more or less convenient either way, and I think Paul would have an interesting chemistry with Vinny and Alex if that ever happened.

Paul used to fly to Minnesota when Dan was at Game Informer, this is a sacred tradition that'll keep on.

I think he met Vinny before and kind of liked him, so I'm sure it'll be pleasant. I hope Alex shows him his luchador mask collection because Paul will LOVE it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda hope Dan moves in with Vinny and becomes his third Child. Still should be good he Vinny and Alex seem like a very good mix hope he enjoys his time in NYC.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@dudeglove: they seriously should have done this and just played it straight for like an entire month except Dan would act completely the same.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar said:

That's great! The chemistry of Dan and Vinny as dumb-stuff-doers and Alex doubling down as the straight man has been really good.

I think Vinny's Dadness can also help mitigate some of Dan's more crazy outliers. Being more willing to call out crazy (him and Alex for that matter) and being able to do so with some patience. I mean it's not Austin Walker, but GBE did need someone else.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

When you are asked to leave town......you best leave town......

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm basically neutral on it. Which i feel like I should be, because it just moves a vacancy from the East Coast to the West Coast.

I did really like the Austin/Vinny/Alex dynamic out East, but Dan fit in well in a totally different way while out there. So I have zero concerns about that.

And I'm confident they'll make a good hire in San Fran eventually.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for Giant Bomb Texas/West Virginia/Oakland to open up with Justin, Griffin, Nick Robinson and now Danny O'Dwyer!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think this is fantastic. Dan obviously is great on the west coast, but I think his month with the Beast crew led to some fantastic videos/podcasts. He fits in well.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:
@bisonhero said:

@danbri said:

Paul used to fly to Minnesota when Dan was at Game Informer, this is a sacred tradition that'll keep on.

I think he met Vinny before and kind of liked him, so I'm sure it'll be pleasant. I hope Alex shows him his luchador mask collection because Paul will LOVE it.

Dadcast between Vinny and Paul would be pretty great when Paul flies in as Vinny's pretty much like a surrogate father to Dan now anyways.

Bill_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a good thing. I hope Dan likes it out there.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll miss Dan on the west coast but I'll also enjoy his GBeast content.

FloppySnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By FloppySnake

Real talk.
Who will the new member be and why do you think it should be Mary Kish.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine GBWest's Extra Life marathon stream will be just chock full of Mario Party if Dan is absolutely adamant about getting all of them in before he leaves. Either that, or a lot of Mario Party Parties in future months leading up to his departure.

Either way, I can't wait!

Bummlmitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome for GBEast, but a huge blow for the SF crew. They really need to hire someone, who has the same energy as Dan.

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.

gavingt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is some of the best GB news in years.

hughesie27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By hughesie27

I'm just glad he is stay with the site.

I'd love Mary Kish to take his place in the West side!

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Mary Kish takes Dan's place, GameSpot is finished. Let them keep what talent they have left!

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Very happy with this, Dan has great chemistry with the Beast crew.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't dislike Dan but he has been my least favorite part of the new Endurance Run so far. Maybe Endurance Runs are like wrestling announce teams, better as a duo than a trio. Perhaps recording supplemental Powerbombcasts will be easier to do especially if Jeff ever decides to get all the way out on that hobby and forgo that podcast altogether (please don't Jeff, you're the best). The thing is Alex and Vinny can pair off well with just about anyone so he'll probably be fine on the GBEast video side of things. GB West has got talent for days and depending on who they get next it can only get better from here. Call me cautiously curious.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4 mario party's in 4 months. Holy fuck

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just glad he's not leaving Giant Bomb. Even without a new staff member, GBWest will still produce great videos. They just lack frequency which Dan helped with. I don't know how they went from pumping out Endurance Runs every day, video reviews, multiple video series during E3, etc. to what they put out now. It's like a random Ranking of FIghters and Demo Derby every other month with two to five quicklooks a week.

I feel exactly the same, GBWest's energy, and output has dropped considerably in the past few years. GBeast has had a more consistent features output, and a more positive fun tone. I love how Dan meshes with the Beastcrew. After he goes there officially I'll have very little reason to pay attention to anything West does.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@floppysnake:

seeing as she's a producer and the open spot is for a news person/ writer, I kinda doubt it's gonna be her. Also, I'd hope she moves on to something bigger and better if she does leave GS.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way people analyze personalities here and staff chemistry and give their input on job changes and so on and so on, makes me realize that giant bomb really has become pro wrestling.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan at GBE is a great idea. I'm not always crazy about the guy but he just has these moments that I find great. And when he's playing video games I feel like I get to see the real guy. At the east coast he seemed to flow well with them. Something that to me doesn't always happen with him on the west coast podcast.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arabes: I understand - at 30 I find Dan to be pretty funny as I find him pretty upfront and honest but I can see where his schtick could wear thin. The Austin - Dan swap is a swap of extremes

I was someone who found Dan super annoying, especially over the last year or so. Then I had this weird epiphany listening to him answer science questions on a GBE podcast. He knows his limits but is willing to learn, and brings a certain exuberance to the process. Dan may never be may favorite crew member, but I think he can do some good works with Vinny and Alex.

TheTrekkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish Dan well in New York, but like many people I will miss the chemistry between him and Jeff/Drew.

bizmarkiefader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way Dan and Vinny play off each other is hilarious and it really lets Alex play his straight man role. It wont be as thought provoking as having Austin with them but I'm looking forward to the next truck simulator experience.