Concept: Girlfriend Mode ?

RuinRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By RuinRunner

Since I'm still pretty new to this site, I thought I'd gather some opinions on this idea before proposing a wiki page for it.  I've noticed a sort of half co-op half single-player blend concept that has been gathering steam lately.  I have heard it referred to as "Girlfriend Mode".  Essentially this term can describe any drop-in/drop-out co-operative game play mode where an optional second player takes on a simplified or somehow reduced role in the action while the first player continues to control a shared player character's movement.

The first game I can ever recall seeing this in was Jet Force Gemini on the N64.  At any point while you were playing, your girlfriend (or younger sibling, or kid, etc.) could plug in a second controller and enter the game as a sort of secondary fire floating robot.  The first player would continue moving around and shooting while the second player would just get her own reticule and a trigger.  More recently, we have seen the Super Mario Galaxy titles feature "co-star mode", in which a second player can gather star bits and stun enemies but not move Mario around.  And now this week's Ron Gilbert release, DeathSpank, is said to feature a similar mode for drop-in/drop-out multiplayer.

So, does this have the makings of a legit Concept wiki page?  Or does the somewhat derogatory name classify it under the "no hardware failure page" rule already established for the GiantBomb wiki?  Would it be OK under another name, if so?  What else is this called?  Or, is this even sufficiently different from standard co-op multiplayer to have its own Concept page?  By the way, can anybody else think of any other examples off the top of their head (assuming you see where I'm going with this in the first place)?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Definitely weird enough to be GB, and this is coming from the guy who made the Fetus as a Final Boss page. However, wrong board. Somebody move to Delete & Combine.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Yes, a legit concept. The name certainly is a bit derogatory; perhaps "reduced co-op", or something along the lines of that.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By mracoon

It's a valid concept but it needs a better name.

RuinRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RuinRunner

I agree, but I am struggling to think of another name for the concept that users might actually search for or, at the very least, will immediately recognize if they see it on a Game page.  I've only ever heard it called "girlfriend mode", which is admittedly insulting to women.

edit:  A friend of mine just suggested "Passenger Mode" explaining that, "you're not driving, but you're part of the ride experience".  Is it acceptable to use a completely fabricated page title like that?  He also pointed out that Tails played like this in many of the older Sonic titles.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By rateoforange

Girlfriend mode should definitely be an alias, though. It's in common usage. While it is mildly derogatory, I don't think it rises to the level of offensive.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

How about "Passive Co-op" as a term to describe it?

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By jeff

You mean "Asymmetrical Co-Op," which is the term picking up steam for things like Super Mario Galaxy and DeathSpank.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Would this be the same concept that was found in GTA: San Andreas?

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tmthomsen
@Jeff said:

" You mean "Asymmetrical Co-Op," which is the term picking up steam for things like Super Mario Galaxy and DeathSpank. "

This is correct. Asymmetrical cooperation means that players are working together, but playing by different rules. It was defined by Adams and Rollings in this book.

Alternatively, asymmetrical competition can be seen in games such as Aliens vs Predator's multiplayer component.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iamjohn

Asymmetrical Co-Op is only an acceptable name if Girlfriend Mode is aliased. >:|

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Bigandtasty
@arab_prince said:
" Would this be the same concept that was found in GTA: San Andreas? "
No. In San Andreas you had to go to a specific place to start co-op and you couldn't do any serious missions, only free roam.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By jeff
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Sidekick Mode, perhaps?

RuinRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RuinRunner
@Jeff said:
" OK.  http://www.giantbomb.com/asymmetrical-co-op/92-5713/  I've included the "girlfriend mode" alias, even though I don't recall ever hearing that used as a serious term for what we're talking about. "
OK, thanks.  That term certainly makes sense, though I've actually never heard it.  True, "girlfriend mode" is usually kicked around in a tongue-in-cheek manner on podcasts and forums.  But I listen to and read those and don't actually look at professional design documents.  Thanks for the help, guys.  Now to rack my brain to come up with all the examples of this that I just know are bouncing around in there somewhere.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iamjohn
@Jeff said:
" OK.  http://www.giantbomb.com/asymmetrical-co-op/92-5713/  I've included the "girlfriend mode" alias, even though I don't recall ever hearing that used as a serious term for what we're talking about. "
I think it's a commonly enough used colloquialism, especially in message boards, that it doesn't hurt to put it as an alias, especially since I'm sure most people have never heard of it being called "asymmetrical co-op."  Thanks, dood!
zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zonerover

I've heard the term Girlfriend Mode being used before despite the bad sexual inequality to the term. I think Jeff has made the right call on this.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Karl_Boss
@iAmJohn said:
" Asymmetrical Co-Op is only an acceptable name if Girlfriend Mode is aliased. >:| "
This for sure.
NJ_Paolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NJ_Paolo
@MarkWahlberg said:
" Sidekick Mode, perhaps? "
this should be added as an alias
RuinRunner