How are wiki edit points assigned?

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By face15

What I mean is how is it decided how many points a submission is worth? Does the moderator just decided or is there a set system? I'm just wondering cause I can't make sense of some of the point scores I've received. 
Thanks

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By KamasamaK

The number of points you're awards is determined automatically by the amount and type of content.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By face15
@Kamasama: I thought it would be something like that, I've just noticed that a couple of times it seems I've got more points for less work. 
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By KamasamaK
@face15:  I won't pretend to fully understand all that goes into the calculation, but I believe links, special formatting, and pictures will increase the number of points if by "work" you're referring to number of words.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

More points for less work can easily happen if that work involves adding things with lots of HTML tags. You can't see them while you're editing, but that extra HTML can cause the size of the page to increase significantly.

edlund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By edlund

Is there any way editing could be worth more? I spent about an hour cleaning up the GTA IV page today, 2nd to 3rd person, future tense to past re: DLC, bad writing to not-bad writing, etc., and got one point for it. It's not like this diminishes my e-peen or anything, it's just that I would like to reach that 1,000 points, edit without approval threshold one day, and that's a very long row to hoe one point at a time.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By iamjohn
@edlund: Removing content or changing wording more-or-less doesn't give you any points.  If you want points, you really need to add things.  It's really an imperfect system.

The best advice I can give is to think of a game, character or concept you like that's a little more on the niche or obscure side, find its page on GB and own that sucker.  If you can't think of one, a good place to start is the Wiki Taks list or the thread in which people suggest tasks (I've found there's a lot of good suggestions that get thrown in there and never acted upon).
edlund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By edlund
@iAmJohn: But I'm only good at pointing out others' faults! Thanks for the help, that explains a lot. Off I go to make the best damn page that no one will ever look at.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Slaker117
@edlund:  Yeah, it's kind of weird. I completely rewrote a few sections that were just false, but they ended up being shorter. Only got one point for those. Just got my first big edit today though, 320 points for not that much work, so 1,000 points totally seems within reason when purely adding content.
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NickL
@Slaker117 said:

" @edlund:  Yeah, it's kind of weird. I completely rewrote a few sections that were just false, but they ended up being shorter. Only got one point for those. Just got my first big edit today though, 320 points for not that much work, so 1,000 points totally seems within reason when purely adding content. "

i got 320 points for correcting about 15 misspelled last names on one of the madden games lol 
i doubt fixing misspelling added any kind of significant content 
the system is very weird indeed 

edit: also i pretty much wrote the entire altitude wiki except a few bits and pieces that were already there and got only 195 points of that 

double edit: and i corrected a SINGLE misspelled word in one wiki and got 5 points for it... maybe the system just doesnt like you guys =p
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iamjohn
@NickL said:
" and i corrected a SINGLE misspelled word in one wiki and got 5 points for it... maybe the system just doesnt like you guys =p "
I feel like have the points I've gotten from the House of the Dead: Overkill page were me getting five points every time I tried to fix the wiki screwing up formatting and italicizing the wrong things or putting dividers where they don't belong. :P
Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By SuicidalSnowman

Anyone looking to get the 1,000 point one, check out the Rally Cross one I wrote.  Before I found it there was two or three sentences, I added all the rest, earned just over 1,000. 

Also, try adding picture FIRST.  That way you can add in pictures with captions and earn points while editing. 

Also, like others have said, to get the 1,000 point one, find a game that is a little less popular that you really liked, and write about it.  Keep in mind that brief level summaries can be added, lists of weapons and items, lists and descriptions (with pictures!) of the characters, and information about the scoring mechanics.  These are all good areas to fill out that don't require much technical or special skill.  Also, this site isn't like Wikipedia, you can have a section for "Trivia" or "Easter Eggs." 

Also, I usually spend a little bit of time discussing interesting gameplay mechanics.  In my opinion (and I'm not a mod, so take this with a grain of salt) GB likes good information unique to the game, but is less interested in 1) your re-typing of the instruction manual and 2) talking about how the game uses 100 hitpoints to measure your health. 

I have done some pretty serious edits to concept pages, and never been able to hit 1,000.  I wrote the entire Fictional Car Brands one and got about 600.  I think I got close with Tie-In, but I put a lot of links in.  Rally Cross was a good for me, like others have said, because it had an empty page, and was a game I spent a ton of time with and new a lot about.  I actually had to turn on my PSX to remember a few of the car names, but most of that I wrote from memory.  Try to think of a game you spent a lot of time playing through, possibly from an older generation, and see how much is in the current wiki.  Also, take some time to think about what you might write, and leave yourself some time.  The Rally Cross one took me about an hour and 15 minutes.  Tie-In took close to two hours, as did Fictional Car Brands.  Death, which scored me 800, was fairly quick, but still took close to an hour.  It is worth it though, I felt awesome getting the achievement and it feels good to help fill out the Wiki.  Perhaps one day GB will be the ultimate source of videogame knowledge, and you can have a part in it.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Karl_Boss

They are assigned in a very broken way...doing things such as adding images within the article awards more points than actually writing stuff which is why a lot of wiki pages have a lot of pictures within the article....they really need to fix the point system....also another case of a new user necroposting.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew
@edlund said:
" Is there any way editing could be worth more? I spent about an hour cleaning up the GTA IV page today, 2nd to 3rd person, future tense to past re: DLC, bad writing to not-bad writing, etc., and got one point for it. It's not like this diminishes my e-peen or anything, it's just that I would like to reach that 1,000 points, edit without approval threshold one day, and that's a very long row to hoe one point at a time. "
Not without also increasing the points for everything else. Did you read my explanation right above your post?
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By Yanngc33

the wiki gods hand them out. They enjoy long paragraphes and links.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By one_2nd

I just got 5 points for changing an 'a' to an 'an' on the LA Noire page. I'm pretty sure it's up to the moderator. 

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#17  Edited By Brackynews
@one_2nd: Once you reach 1000 points the same system will calculate things instantly without the mod queue.