Modern Warfare 2 title in Wiki

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Apparently there was some sort of tussle when Modern Warfare 2 came out about whether COD was part of the official name it was decided here that Modern Warfare 2 was the official name until they hear otherwise.

I think we have now heard otherwise:

-Modern Warfare 3 includes the Call of Duty prefix in the wiki, this is inconsistent with the treatment of MW2, MW2 is inconsistent with every other game in the series in this regard; if you applied this logic to the current games in the franchise, things get weird; should there be a game in the wiki just referred to a "Ghosts" or "Advanced Warfare"?.

-Activision themselves refer to the game as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the developer's forums go by this name also.

-All retailers refer to the game as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Bestbuy, Amazon, Gamestop, Steam...

-All other major trade publications refer to the game as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Gamespot, IGN, Eurogamer...

-Wikipedia uses the full title Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

I think if Giant Bomb wants to be recognized as an authoritative source of information on video games, the information given here needs to be consistent with what the rest of the world believes to be true.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Nobody cares. It's listed as an alias.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A game that's already almost five years old will damage the site's credibility, because the title doesn't go along with "the rest of the world"? What?

...and wasn't this same thread posted by a 1 post user just an hour ago or so?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I think telling a new user to piss off because staff made a decision 5 years ago that was probably wrong is something worth looking into.

Neither of you have argued with any of the facts I presented, so why are you resistant to the change? What does it matter to you?

I'll admit it's stupid, but it was brought up and here we are.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I think telling a new user to piss off because staff made a decision 5 years ago that was probably wrong is something worth looking into.

Who told a new user to piss off?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Baillie

I agree with him. The games full title is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mike

Here's what Jeff said in this link. Nothing has changed since then, since Jeff has already made a ruling on this and the buck stops with him, if anything WAS going to change it would have to be Jeff that did it. No one is going to change anything until Jeff says that his previous post on the matter is no longer valid.

This discussion came up a number of times around the time of Modern Warfare 2's release, and all of that discussion is what prompted Jeff to post what he did here:

Well, in the wake of Modern Warfare 2 boxart showing up earlier today, everyone is straight-up flipping out over the presence of the Call of Duty name on the box. But can we safely assume that this means the official game name is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2? I'm going to say "probably not."

Here's the official statement from an Activision spokesperson, which has been going around for the past hour or two:

Infinity Ward’s Modern Warfare 2 is the direct sequel to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. We have focused our attention on Modern Warfare in order to most effectively communicate the fact that this is the first true sequel in the Call of Duty series. Infinity Ward, the original creators of the Call of Duty franchise, has said from the beginning Modern Warfare 2 resides in theCall of Duty universe. This is reflected in the title’s package.

The whole "first true sequel" thing isn't new, it's the same line Activision's been giving out all along when it comes to all this name stuff. But notice that the statement refers to the game as simply "Modern Warfare 2" on multiple occasions. It doesn't seem like the company is interested in answering the "HEY SERIOUSLY WHAT IS YOUR GAME CALLED" question directly (which is roughly what we asked them), but between the boldness (theirs) of the game's title, the lack of the COD prefix, and the specific reference to it being reflected "in the title's package," it doesn't seem like the name of the game has actually changed at all.

It's not surprising that the game doesn't have as much name recognition without the Call of Duty brand on it, and it's been pretty obvious that Activision was going to have to slap the COD logo somewhere on this box if only to make the connection between casual game buyer who walks in and says "GIVE ME NEW CALL OF DUTY" and confused Wal-Mart clerk a bit easier to complete. I just figured it'd be separated from the game name a bit more, like in a "FROM THE MAKERS OF CALL OF DUTY" bubble in the upper-right or something. Maybe that'll just end up being a sticker slapped on over the plastic wrap or something...

So, in short, we're not changing the name of our game page to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Because until we hear something directly to the contrary, I'm pretty sure that nothing actually changed today.

Also, while we're on the topic, notice anything else funny about the box art? Like, notice anything missing?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: In retrospect, I think it was the wrong call. At the time, it made a lot more sense.

baracudadk2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

god who cares -_-.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie said:

@mb: In retrospect, I think it was the wrong call. At the time, it made a lot more sense.

As far as the wiki is concerned, Jeff made a decision on this in 2009 and nothing has changed since then. The only way the name of this page is going to change is if Jeff states that the article he wrote in 2009 is no longer valid and the name should be changed, and in that case he would probably also change the name himself.

If you want to ping Jeff or Tweet him or something like that you definitely should, but it's going to take a statement from him in order to change the name of the Modern Warfare 2 page.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DeF

Not sure why this is even a discussion. Game title is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the box and everywhere. This is the same reasoning we follow for everything else.

This seems like outdated thinking from when we believed Activision wanted to shed the CoD branding and make everything a MW lovefest. History has proven how inconsequential that was.

god who cares -_-.

people who care about detailed and accurate wiki data.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

-Modern Warfare 3 includes the Call of Duty prefix in the wiki, this is inconsistent with the treatment of MW2, MW2 is inconsistent with every other game in the series in this regard; if you applied this logic to the current games in the franchise, things get weird; should there be a game in the wiki just referred to a "Ghosts" or "Advanced Warfare"?.

-Activision themselves refer to the game as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the developer's forums go by this name also.

-All retailers refer to the game as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Bestbuy, Amazon, Gamestop, Steam...

-All other major trade publications refer to the game as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Gamespot, IGN, Eurogamer...

-Wikipedia uses the full title Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Additionally Infinity Ward themselves refer to it by the full title.

@baillie said:

Agreed. And saying "nothing has changed" since 2009 is false, considering at least 5 more COD games have been released in that time, the industry has spoken on how they percieve the product (looking at all the links in the OP) and Activision/Infinity Ward have spoken on how they want the product to be marketed by listing it as such on their websites.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'd be cool if @jeff weighed in on his thoughts.