This is a good example of a Wiki entry that shouldn't exist

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike
Halo MMO

So...which user with live edit privileges wants to own up to creating this page?  Seriously guys, come on.  We went through this with the "Call of Duty 6" page.

(edited & moved to the Delete forum)
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mike

There is already precedent for this sort of thing by what happened with the "Call of Duty 6" page that someone created. 

Think about it...we know with 100% certainty that the next Call of Duty game is being made, but there is no page for it yet.  Why?  Because we don't know what it's going to be called...and the "COD 6" page was deleted for that reason, per Jeff.  If this game still does exist somewhere, it certainly isn't called "Halo MMO".  A few mock screenshots and next to no information is not enough for a Wiki page.  When there is something more official about this game and a title is announced, then the Wiki page can be recreated at that time.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz
elliooo said:
"But this was cancelled so its likely no more information will be announced?

Meh, doesnt worry me but just thought I'd voice an opinion :P"
If the majority of information known about this "project" was speculative in the first place and the only solid fact is that its cancelled then i suggest the page be deleted. Just doesn't make sense to keep it here in the Wiki when there is next to no solid information regarding the game other than its definately cancelled.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By DualReaver

But we haz some sexy female armor outfit concept art? Maybe some hot girl cosplayer will see and make a costume like it?............ :3

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Snail

I had never heard of it until I visisted this page so I learned something with it. So it shouldn't be deleted.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By breton
Snail said:
"I had never heard of it until I visisted this page so I learned something with it. So it shouldn't be deleted"
That's a shitty logic.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Rowr

maybe there could be a section of the site for games that didnt make it.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By breton

He said it shouldn't be deleted.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiggerBomb
breton said:
"He said it shouldn't be deleted."

Oh, would you look at that.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By brukaoru

Agreed that it shouldn't exist. If a wiki was created for every rumor of a game that didn't end up being true, there would be many pages for games that have/will never exist, and they aren't needed.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By breton
BiggerBomb said:
But it's still a shitty logic. As MB said, we all know there's going to be another Call of Duty, but we don't have name. We don't need a section for games that didn't make it because there are already plenty listed(no, I won't name any). But the reason we have them is because they were actually announced before cancellation.
albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By albedos_shadow

Totally in agreement with MB on this one. We'd have an extra 1000 pages if we allowed cancelled or rumored games.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb
breton said:
"BiggerBomb said:
But it's still a shitty logic. As MB said, we all know there's going to be another Call of Duty, but we don't have name. We don't need a section for games that didn't make it because there are already plenty listed(no, I won't name any). But the reason we have them is because they were actually announced before cancellation.
"

I get ya.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#16  Edited By LordAndrew

I think a brief mention of the Halo MMO in the franchise article is all that's needed. It was never named, it was never officially announced.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Vaxadrin

I disagree, Mr. Huggles.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Snail
breton said:
"BiggerBomb said:
But it's still a shitty logic. As MB said, we all know there's going to be another Call of Duty, but we don't have name. We don't need a section for games that didn't make it because there are already plenty listed(no, I won't name any). But the reason we have them is because they were actually announced before cancellation."
If they were announced, (or if info was leaked), they deserve a page.
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By breton
Snail said:
"If they were announced, (or if info was leaked), they deserve a page."
Games that were announced, then canceled, have a page. Call of Duty 6, Halo MMO, Starcraft MMO, Diablo MMO, TES MMO, TES RTS, shouldn't have a page because they're all based on rumors.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BiggerBomb

Don't you dare mention anything about an Elder Scrolls *shudders* MMO. It's like Freddy Krueger, the less people that believe in it the less power it has....

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By Endogene
breton said:
"Snail said:
"If they were announced, (or if info was leaked), they deserve a page."
Games that were announced, then canceled, have a page. Call of Duty 6, Halo MMO, Starcraft MMO, Diablo MMO, TES MMO, TES RTS, shouldn't have a page because they're all based on rumors.
"
But isnt there proof (screenshots and art) that a HALO MMO was in the works?
I'm with Lord andrew, put it in the franchise page along with all the images.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wefwefasdf

I agree, it should be deleted.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By breton
Endogene said:
"But isnt there proof (screenshots and art) that a HALO MMO was in the works?"
Thingsareneverfaked. - Also, can anyone link me to that really awesome Nintendo console commercial? I think it might have been made during the gamecube era, even. It was like a round, football helmet-ish look. It was an awesome video.

Edit: Found it - The Video, 1UP interview with the creator, Wikipedia article. - God damn that thing was awesome.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Karmum
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Lies
Karmum said:
"This should be deleted, the game was canned several weeks ago."
Yes, we're quite aware of this. The question is whether it should exist as an archive of what we knew of the project.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mike

The thing is, it's not clear if the project is actually cancelled or if some other developer is working on it.  Being that there has never been a single official announcement about the game, I think it's clear the page shouldn't exist.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lies
MB said:
"The thing is, it's not clear if the project is actually cancelled or if some other developer is working on it.  Being that there has never been a single official announcement about the game, I think it's clear the page shouldn't exist."
Well, regardless of official announcements, there is information we know, specific to a HALO MMO Ensemble was working on. It could go in a section on the HALO franchise page, or it could have it's own page, depending on what you want to do with it.

It doesn't exactly go with the COD6 metaphor you used because we actually do have information and concept art of this game, as well as some insider leaks about the situation at Ensemble.

I would probably put it under the HALO franchise page, but last I checked that was broken and uneditable. As such, this information needs a place to rest, and this works alright, as long as we keep the page pared down to what we know about the game, and don't veer off into speculative waters.
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By breton
Lies said:
"The question is whether it should exist as an archive of what we knew of the project."
We don't know anything about a 'project'. We have canceled games listed here, there's no problem with that. But, as MB said, there has been no official word on this. The whole thing is based on speculation, and rumors. If you think screenshots and concept art are enough.. look at my previous post.

Again, without an official announcement, it doesn't warrant a page.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Kazona
breton said:
"Snail said:
"I had never heard of it until I visisted this page so I learned something with it. So it shouldn't be deleted"
That's a shitty logic.
"
I agree. What's the point of learning about a game that doesn't exist? It'd be much more useful if this MMO actually gets announced with a title and some actual information. Also I think pages like this only lead to confusion, especially once the game has been cancelled.
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By mattbodega

The Halo MMO wasn't far enough into development: that's a line of logic I could potentially get behind. But what about a game that was substantially farther in development?
There is a Giant Bomb entry for The Lord of The Rings: The White Council(the "Oblivion in Middle Earth Game") and that game was effectively canceled. Should it exist on Giant Bomb? I think so, as long as it's made explicitly clear that the game never made it out.
Giant Bomb page for Starcraft: Ghost is here to, as well as Warcraft Adventures., both Blizzard titles that never saw the light of day. I think they belong on the Giant Bomb encyclopedia because the games are historically important. The Halo MMO, by the same logic, was very cleary Microsoft's first attempt to leverage their Halo Franchise into the MMO space. If the page could be very clearly marked (Working Title) Halo MMO, I believe it serves Giant Bomb's purpose of being the definetive tome of video game knowledge. Plus, those screenshots are interesting!

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By breton

^ I hate to say this, but did you read the whole topic? I've said again and again, theres no problem with canceled games being listed. "Halo MMO", however, isn't just canceled, it never existed.

I don't know about all the titles you listed, but I'm fairly certain Starcraft: Ghost was an official title.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lies
breton said:
"^ I hate to say this, but did you read the whole topic? I've said again and again, theres no problem with canceled games being listed. "Halo MMO", however, isn't just canceled, it never existed.

I don't know about all the titles you listed, but I'm fairly certain Starcraft: Ghost was an official title.
"
It quite certainly existed, just was never announced. There's quite the difference there.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mike
Lies said:
It quite certainly existed, just was never announced. There's quite the difference there."
Yeah, but in what form?  No one knows...that's the point.

It's not even clear if the screenshots are actually real or not.
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By breton
Lies said:
"It quite certainly existed, just was never announced. There's quite the difference there."
Yeah, and so did the Nintendo On, and the Xbox Pure. There's never been an official word of yes or no on the matter.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lies
MB said:
"Lies said:
It quite certainly existed, just was never announced. There's quite the difference there."
Yeah, but in what form?  No one knows...that's the point.

It's not even clear if the screenshots are actually real or not."
We got no screenshots. Just concept art and a screenshot mock-up. The art was fairly credibly sourced as I remember, coming from an Ensemble artist's Flickr page. Obviously that dude just isn't going to be uploading a ton of fanart :/

I think you can go either way on this one really. It clearly was a game and did exist, and we do have some information on it, so in that manner it couold do with a page. But then again it was never officially announced, and we don't have THAT much info...
Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Discorsi

Cancelled games belong on GB since this is supposed to be the ultimate site for gaming knowledge.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By breton
Lies said:
"Obviously that dude just isn't going to be uploading a ton of fanart :/"
You don't know that. That's how rumors begin.
Discorsi said:
"Cancelled games belong on GB since this is supposed to be the ultimate site for gaming knowledge."
Oh, for fucks sake, people.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't there a feature the programmers can implement where, like wikipedia, the moderators and staff can see a history of who edited the page and the times at which they did so?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mike
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Isn't there a feature the programmers can implement where, like wikipedia, the moderators and staff can see a history of who edited the page and the times at which they did so?
"

It's being worked on, but don't hold your breath.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lies
breton said:
"Lies said:
"Obviously that dude just isn't going to be uploading a ton of fanart :/"
You don't know that. That's how rumors begin.
Discorsi said:
"Cancelled games belong on GB since this is supposed to be the ultimate site for gaming knowledge."
Oh, for fucks sake, people.
"
That's weak dude. Halo MMO concept art shows up on a artists flickr who just happens to work for a studio working on HALO and you think it's a coincidence? It's not really under debate whether or not this game existed, just whether or not it deserves a page.
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Patchinko

The usefulness of a Wiki is reduced when entries are removed needlessly.

That page should exist and should have more information in it, particularly about how it was a secret project that was in development until Ensemble was shut down, and how images of it were available on an online artist's portfolio page linked from Ensemble itself.

There isinformation about this out there. If this is truly a Wiki of all things videogame, this should have a page.

I'm not sure why you people think limiting the relevant information in this database is a good thing. If you think this site shouldn't be a place to look up things like the failed "Halo MMO" project for information about it, you're truly limiting the scope of this site and, as I said earlier, reducing its usefulness.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mike
Patchinko said:
"The usefulness of a Wiki is reduced when entries are removed needlessly.

That page should exist and should have more information in it, particularly about how it was a secret project that was in development until Ensemble was shut down, and how images of it were available on an online artist's portfolio page linked from Ensemble itself.

There isinformation about this out there. If this is truly a Wiki of all things videogame, this should have a page.

I'm not sure why you people think limiting the relevant information in this database is a good thing. If you think this site shouldn't be a place to look up things like the failed "Halo MMO" project for information about it, you're truly limiting the scope of this site and, as I said earlier, reducing its usefulness."
Do you think there should be a page for Infinity Ward's next Call of Duty game?
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Patchinko
MB said:
"Patchinko said:

I'm not sure why you people think limiting the relevant information in this database is a good thing. If you think this site shouldn't be a place to look up things like the failed "Halo MMO" project for information about it, you're truly limiting the scope of this site and, as I said earlier, reducing its usefulness."
Do you think there should be a page for Infinity Ward's next Call of Duty game?"
They're not comparable situations.

If you want to make that comparison, it would have to be in a framework such as: The studio goes out of business during early development, the project is scrapped but might be picked up by another development team, and concept art/screenshots of it are released.
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By breton
Patchinko said:
I'm not sure why you people think limiting the relevant information in this database is a good thing.
I'm not saying it shouldn't be mentioned anywhere. I'm saying it doesn't warrant a game page. If we create a new page every time a rumor springs up, we'd be filled with crap by now. I'm in full accordance with someone writing something in the halo franchise page about a speculated Halo MMO. Not a game titled "Halo MMO"
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mike

That's the thing:

• Concept artwork was not released...we're not sure if these are real screenshots are not
  • No announcements have ever been made about this game
  • We're not sure how far along this game was in production, if it was in production at all
  • We're not sure if this game was cancelled or just moved over to another developer to continue working on what Ensemble started

See what I'm getting at here?  If Jeff says that the "Call of Duty 6" page should be deleted until we know for sure what the next  IW Call of Duty game is going to be called...do you really think a "Halo MMO" page is OK given all of the above?  Come on.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lies
MB said:
"Patchinko said:

Do you think there should be a page for Infinity Ward's next Call of Duty game?"
That's not a valid comparison MB. There is no information period about COD6, except the assumption that it is probably coming. With the HALO MMO, we know it was under development at Ensemble before it shut down, we have concept art and UI mockups, and some small dev leaks. The comparison to COD6 just doesn't really hold.
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Patchinko
Lies said:
"MB said:
"Patchinko said:

That's not a valid comparison MB. There is no information period about COD6, except the assumption that it is probably coming. With the HALO MMO, we know it was under development at Ensemble before it shut down, we have concept art and UI mockups, and some small dev leaks. The comparison to COD6 just doesn't really hold."
Yeah, his argument is that he doesn't believe the screenshots or evidence for the project present in the article (and numerous others). Given the plethora of information and evidence about this, I can't agree with him on it.

A gallery of images/concept art for the game.

This is utterly different from the COD6 page.

And if you want to be a stickler about what Jeff says, just ask him if it should be deleted. Making the blanket, "This is a good example of a Wiki entry that shouldn't exist" statement when you don't know if it should or shouldn't exist is wrong of you, especially with that little "Moderator" tag under your name. Your OPINION is that it shouldn't exist. I don't see an official statement from the horse's mouth here.

Just as an example: Pages that shouldn't exist based on that precedent set by Jeff would include Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid 5, an NBA Jams remake. You must be able to see how these examples are completely different from a game project that we know for a fact existed, that there are screenshots and concept art from, no? I mean, Starcraft: Ghost's page existing and having a great deal of info in it isn't precedent enough for keeping this page for you? Or do you think Starcraft: Ghost's page should be deleted?

(Correct answer on that, by the way, would probably be "They aren't comparable" because Starcraft: Ghost was even playable at E3 before it got canned. But the comparison is closer than the comparison between this and COD6.)
roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#48  Edited By roushimsx
MB said:
"See what I'm getting at here?  If Jeff says that the "Call of Duty 6" page should be deleted until we know for sure what the next  IW Call of Duty game is going to be called...do you really think a "Halo MMO" page is OK given all of the above?  Come on."
The game was in production and there's plenty of evidence to support that. My qualm is that there's currently no way to flag a game as "canceled" under "Original US Release" and that we don't know the actual title of the game. Even flagging it as "Working Title" would be potentially incorrect because we don't know if that really was its working title.

I'd move to renaming the page, "Canceled Halo MMO Project" or something similar until the proper name is unearthed.

Siding with everyone else, I agree that the "Call of Duty 6" comparison isn't applicable. Especially since there still isn't a "Call of Duty 5".
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By breton

I still don't understand how you're completely ignoring the fact that all the images aren't official. Whether it is real or not is irrelevant. It's still all based on rumor.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By breton
Patchinko said:
"I mean, Starcraft: Ghost's page existing and having a great deal of info in it isn't precedent enough for keeping this page for you? Or do you think Starcraft: Ghost's page should be deleted?
Starcraft: Ghost was officially announced, and officially canceled.