Unneeded concept page

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Justin_Case

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Justin_Case

Usually I let these "points farmers" slip but this is just silly.

Here

Isn't the franchise page the exact same thing?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Well the concept page is talking about the species, and the franchise page the franchise. They are different things. Whether or not they are needed is up for discussion.

Justin_Case

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Justin_Case

Going by your logic, I can create an "Animal" concept page and link every single game that has animals in it to that concept page as well? Isn't the whole franchise about the species? Isn't one page enough since both talk about the exact same subject anyway?

davecuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By davecuk

Pokemon is a concept and rightfully has it own page. Anything that is a species is a concept.

Justin_Case

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Justin_Case
davecuk said:
"Pokemon is a concept and rightfully has it own page. Anything that is a species is a concept.
"
So that means I can add the animals concept page? While I'm at it I can add mammals, insects, birds, fish, etc. as well? And if we're busy anyway, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Spectrobes, Magic: The Gathering, all feature species or original monster concepts in their design and have all had at least one game.

All I'm implying is that it clogs up the database even more (most pages have 20+ concepts to their name already) and that such things as species can be handled on one single page along with the franchise. Some things are not big enough to warrant a page, and unless proven differently, I see no reason for every Pokémon to have it's own page. As a species or otherwise.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Pokemon is a battle monster game, the concept would be 'battle monsters' and include Pokemon, yes, as well as Digimon and most Shin Megami Tensei games, DQ Monsters, etc. "Pokemon" is just a franchise.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#8  Edited By JackiJinx

I agree with Justin on this one. The point of a page is to collect information all on one page to be easily found. Considering it is the exact same as the Pokemon franchise page, it's only a clone. Now, if there was some information on the Pokemon concept page that warranted individuality, then it should stay.

davecuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By davecuk
Justin_Case said:
Some things are not big enough to warrant a page, and unless proven differently, I see no reason for every Pokémon to have it's own page. As a species or otherwise.

Pokemon as a species/concept  is certainly bigger than a hamburger in a game related sense which has it's own page and was added by the staff.

ryanwho said:
"Pokemon is a battle monster game, the concept would be 'battle monsters' and include Pokemon, yes, as well as Digimon and most Shin Megami Tensei games, DQ Monsters, etc. "Pokemon" is just a franchise.
"

Going by that logic the Hamburger page should go under "food" or something similar?

Go have a listen to the latest Bombcast, they going into detail as to what should be considered a concept or character etc.
Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Turtlemayor333

That's not so bad. Have you seen the concept page for "sound" or any of those other goofy ones?

Justin_Case

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Justin_Case
davecuk said:
Pokemon as a species/concept  is certainly bigger than a hamburger in a game related sense which has it's own page and was added by the staff.
Whether Hamburger qualifies for a page or not is another topic of discussion that has nothing to do with this one.

The Pokémon franchise page will link to exactly the same pages as the concept page, it will feature exactly the same pictures, it has exactly the same name and it even links to the Pokémon concept page. Both will discuss the creatures as that is the main focus of the series.

If this is not the case, please present a good and valid point that will show why the concept page should stay individually. It is going to end up as merely a clone of the franchise page and will clutter up the concept boxes even more. That is all.
rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By rateoforange

It's probably a fool's errand to delete this page. It will just be recreated a thousand times over. There will also probably be concept pages for every single pokemon, in the end. Best to just lie back and think of England.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rateoforange

Maybe, but our only chance of heading that off at the pass is to accept a bulk "pokemon" concept and start pointing to it religiously once the 'Mewtews' start rolling in.

Colino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Colino
Justin_Case said:
"davecuk said:
Whether Hamburger qualifies for a page or not is another topic of discussion that has nothing to do with this one.

The Pokémon franchise page will link to exactly the same pages as the concept page, it will feature exactly the same pictures, it has exactly the same name and it even links to the Pokémon concept page. Both will discuss the creatures as that is the main focus of the series.

If this is not the case, please present a good and valid point that will show why the concept page should stay individually. It is going to end up as merely a clone of the franchise page and will clutter up the concept boxes even more. That is all.
"
I hole heartedly agree. Pokemon DOES NOT need a concept page. To reply to the Hamburger comment, it's a totally different thing. Hamburger doesn't have it's own franchise, it's something that appears but not as a character.

Pokemon appear in other games as their own individual selves, not as a whole. Meaning there is no need to represent pokemon as a whole stand alone concept. It's not a concept, it's a series of characters.

An army or a basketball team are not concepts, they are groups of single individuals. That's just what pokemon are, jsut like the animal kingdom in it's own way.

By other logic, I can now proceed to make a "Human Being" concept page, and probably make 3000 points by linking every human person and character I can find...
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew

Is the Pokemon concept used outside of the Pokemon franchise? If not it's completely redundant.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho
davecuk said:
"Justin_Case said:
Going by that logic the Hamburger page should go under "food" or something similar?

No, because a bunch of restaurants use the hamburger concept. A better example would be Big Mac getting its own page.
rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rateoforange

It has begun! http://www.giantbomb.com/ivysaur/92-1028/

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Daniel

Okay, lets keep the Pokemon concept page. There's no harm in it, and we can easily delete it later if we decide. And as for the above Ivysaur page, I'm sure in the near future we'll have a hierarchical ordering system where we can set all the individual species of Pokemon as children of their Pokemon (general concept page that's being debated right now) parent page. It's what we did over at PoliticalBase.com, and it works very well. I'm sure we'll see that implemented here as well.