Wii "franchise"

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#1  Edited By LordAndrew

Wikipedia's Wii Series page was deleted recently, and I've noticed that Giant Bomb has a page for this as well. Since our page was likely created due to the fact Wikipedia had it listed as a series, I thought the deletion discussion might be of interest.

Basically, the main argument against having this page is simply that this series does not exist. Nintendo does not officially acknowledge these games as a series, or even a series-like product line. So that brings up an interesting question for Giant Bomb. Can or should franchise pages be created based on whether a user thinks it should be a franchise, regardless of any official connection that may or may not exist? Or should we stick to only creating franchise pages for games with a clear connection between each other?

I don't really think we need a clear set of rules on this topic, but we should carefully consider whether something really deserves a franchise page before we create it. As far as I can tell, all of these games are already part of the Touch! Generations line. Combined with the Wii-Named Game Titles concept, I believe this franchise page to be totally redundant and feel it should be deleted.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

Interesting issue. While I think everyone agrees that the name alone does not make a franchise - otherwise there would be a SNES franchise called "Super" with 100 games in it - the Nintendo-published "Wii" games, for me, do seem to be part of a larger design, coming from the same assembly line, are different manifestations of the same approach, etc.  

By looking at these games, you can say "Ah, yes, this is a "Wii XY" game".