Will you pick up Doom on the switch?

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Poll Will you pick up Doom on the switch? (321 votes)

Yes definitely going to buy it again on switch 5%
Yes I've been waiting on the switch version to play doom 2%
I'm holding out till a price drop/reveiws and coverage help me decide. 14%
I already have doom and don't need it on the switch 54%
I don't have a switch, so no... 13%
I don't like doom 4%
Show me the results 8%
 • 
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No, definitely not. Maybe I'm wrong, but the game is strictly for those that can't play it elsewhere, or want to have the Doom experience on the go. I think it's cool that Doom and Wolfenstein are going to the Switch, but for me personally, there's zero appeal.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure I'll pick it up again to play on the go but gonna wait for a sale first.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If it was 60fps I would definitely buy it.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I already have it on PC, so no, but only because I already own it.

If I didn't, I would consider the Switch version for sure.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I have a better chance of picking up Skyrim or Wolfenstein II

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I already own the ps4 version so I shouldn't buy it, but I don't know, I currently have it preordered cause amazon gives a prime discount. I love the game and it being on the switch is a cool and weird thing (even if it'll look and run of a lesser quality). So maybe...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe as a curiosity/cause I'm stupid. But I should finish it on PC first, What I played was a helluva game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

No. With the pro controller it would be fine, but I already have the PC version to play on a TV screen. The right analog joy con sucks too much for me to even consider playing Doom on the Switch on the go.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By frytup

I'd buy it for $25. Certainly not paying $20 more than I dropped on the PC version at launch.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By TwoLines

When it's on a sale later on, sure, why the heck not.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a Switch yet but even if I did I wouldn't get it. Didn't enjoy it on ps4 so yeah.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Switch is the only current gen console I own, and the game looks great, so yeah!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would, if a Switch was the only gaming machine I had, I had a pro controller, and it didn't turn out to be a cruel joke playing it.

The Wolfenstein games should be next, if proof of concept works!

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15 FinalDasa  Moderator

I am supremely curious to see how Doom runs on the Switch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c15a9c63664d
deactivated-5c15a9c63664d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am supremely curious to see how Doom runs on the Switch.

Loading Video...

Seems pretty solid.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

In my opinion, the fun of Doom comes from the precision you have running around killing in an efficient manner, making you feel like a badass. Watching that gameplay video makes it seem that there is a lack of said precision that really changes how the game would feel. Consistently missing easy shots on fodder enemy takes away what makes that game special, to me. A heavy aim assist would go a long way to fixing this for the switch and its touchy controls. Pro controller helps a ton but I still can't imagine myself playing DOOM with a controller on any console (and I don't mean that to sound like a K+M elitist at all)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some procedurally generated/endless stuff added would be nice, especially on a portable system like the Switch.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not interested. Doom for me is about the atmosphere and intensity and shrinking that down to a tiny screen makes it seem much less worthwhile. Plus I'm not spending $60 for a game I already have.

I'm glad it exists though. It shows that the Switch can handle these types of games well and hopefully will inspire other developers to put out more "AAA" type experiences on the system.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are bette places to play Doom and the Switch is starting to have some pretty big games that you can't play anywhere else. I would just play the exclusives or the occasional indy games that is well suited to mobile play.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to and then I learned it was 60 dollars.

When it drops waaayyy low, I'll consider buying it just to be able to play it on the go. But then again, I don't know how I feel about such a fast paced shooter with the joycon's buttons.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've already got DOOM on PC, PS4 and X1, so I picked it up as a rental and oh boy does it have a large-ish download before you can even play it.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By ToxicAntidote

Only if they for, some unreal reason, would make a mode based on this Mario Odyssey mashup video, then yes. (I just discovered this myself, and boy did this make me happy =D)

Loading Video...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I will as long as I hear that the performance isn't garbage.

TommyTours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to buy it as I think it’s a really cool technical achievement and I travel enough that I’d like having it portable. But at the moment I can’t justify spending £50 on a worse version of a game I bought for £12 a couple of months back.

If they put some PC perfect ports of Doom 1 & 2 on Switch I’d get them in a heartbeat though.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Qrowdyy

Playing a fps with the janky analog sticks on the joy-cons seems like a bad time. Especially a fps as fast paced as Doom.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@xanadu said:

If it was 60fps I would definitely buy it.

Hold up, the Switch version is not 60fps? Damn.

I might still pick it up on sale for 15 or so euros just out of curiosity.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Not at full price. I get that it's a new thing for some players and there are development costs to recup but despite being way into having that game on the go I just don't have the money to plop down on like, arguably the most lesser version of that game I guess? I'd be tempted if it had a bunch of new stuff in it.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• I didn't like Doom 2016 at all.

That being said, the Switch version is strangely appealing just because it's on the Switch.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Axersia

I'm normally against paying 3 times the going rate for a port of an old game, but I did think this was a vote-with-your-dollar situation. Someone had to do it to give Bethesda, and the industry as a whole, the signal that we want more of this.

Now that I've played it though, I don't know that I want more of this... My favorite shooter of all time Vanquish also runs at 30fps, so that isn't the issue. It's the fact that it looks like a streaming video on a bad internet connection. You look at your gun and how blurry it is, and in your mind you keep waiting for the 1080p to pop in.

But then it never does... It's so weird. I don't think I've ever played a game that looked quite like this.

I guess I don't actually know how much work went into it, but it doesn't feel like a port job that's worth full price. Had they simplified the geometry, as has historically been the method of downgrading games, they could've achieved much cleaner results. Instead they preserved the full game and let id Tech 6 do most of the work.

Doesn't bode well for future id Tech 6 ports, but I'm still interested in seeing how Wolfenstein II turns out.

@tommytours said:

I want to buy it as I think it’s a really cool technical achievement and I travel enough that I’d like having it portable. But at the moment I can’t justify spending £50 on a worse version of a game I bought for £12 a couple of months back.

If they put some PC perfect ports of Doom 1 & 2 on Switch I’d get them in a heartbeat though.

It's £40 on Amazon.co.uk. Not that that's gonna make enough of a difference, I imagine.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Tom_omb

"I don't like Doom" is a bit harsh, but the best option for me. I was very interested based on last year's Game of the Year podcasts, tried the demo, and decided it wasn't for me.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but I would if the Switch was the only console I had and if I didn't have a gaming PC.

Avatar image for redsquirrelbrown
RedSquirrelBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm tempted. I would love it if there was a way to carry saves between PC/Switch, but that's never going to happen.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want Doom, Doom 2, and Doom 64 on the Switch. Doom '16 on the Switch is a nice deal, but I already own it on PC and PS4. I can never own enough of the originals though and they are much more applicable to the pick up and play style of Switch.

@axersia said:

I'm normally against paying 3 times the going rate for a port of an old game, but I did think this was a vote-with-your-dollar situation. Someone had to do it to give Bethesda, and the industry as a whole, the

I guess I don't actually know how much work went into it, but it doesn't feel like a port job that's worth full price. Had they simplified the geometry, as has historically been the method of downgrading games, they could've achieved much cleaner results. Instead they preserved the full game and let UE4 do most of the work.

Doesn't bode well for future UE4 ports, but I'm still interested in seeing how Wolfenstein II turns out.

I don't know if you're making a joke about how textures in UE fade in from blurry to crisp, but Doom doesn't run on UE4, it runs on ID Tech, as does Wolfenstein.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Axersia

@wheresderrick: My bad, I meant id Tech 6. Guess I just had UE4 on the brain because that's another engine known to run on Switch.

Regardless, my point still stands. While its scaling abilities are very impressive, I think I would've preferred a more traditional port job if it meant a constant 720p.