Did all the other games get out of the way of Elden Ring enough?

NotSoSneakyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Personally I'm closing in on 200 hours of play time, and being finished with Elden Ring.

Remember when every game was either pushed back or trying to get ahead of Elden Ring's release? With good reason in hindsight.

I actually 100% Sifu, so I'm glad that came out before Elden Ring and was able to thoroughly enjoy it. I can see other games like Tunic, or Kirby, or Ghostwire, or Triangle Strategy, or what have you, falling by the wayside, especially for people with less discretionary time.

I'm curious to see how everyone else is making out with the current season of games, and whether it was futile to even try to get out of the way of Elden Ring for some.

I haven't looked at upcoming releases so maybe there's a brief respite to enjoy all these game before the big new releases come out.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i am curious to see what the long-term story is for a lot of the releases that were caught in the Elden Ring blast zone. rather than fight cultural inertia i dropped Horizon Forbidden West to also put nearly 200hrs into Elden Ring- but going back to HFW now feels kinda great, actually. Horizon's style of open world feels more dynamic in tone (meaning- there are peaks and valleys or a varying of intensity) rather than Elden Ring's head-on-a-swivel-at-all-times, kill-or-be-killed, and-now-fight-this-huge-fuggin-thing environments. it's also nice to be digging back into a completely different combat paradigm.

but yeah, i am curious just how much oxygen Elden Ring has sucked out of the room. the impressive sales and abundance of coverage (not to mention total twitch dominance) can't be denied...but Elden Ring is also the Ultimate Internet Game, so I wonder how much of that has a disproportionate amplifying effect.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also played the crap out of Sifu before ER, but I have been focused on that game since release. The only game affected has been Stranger of Paradise which I would have picked up otherwise. ER gave me a good excuse to wait for a discount. The only other game I have in my life right now is The Great Ace Attorney. It's a good way to unwind after a stressful evening of adventuring.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I certainly would have picked up horizon and tunic but I have time for nothing else until elden is done.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThePanzini

Dying Light 2, Horizon FW, GT7, Sifu and Elden Ring all released within 3 weeks of each other, and so far all appear to be doing well.

Dying Light 2 smashed its ccu numbers over its predecessor, Horizon FW with the info we have is doing slightly better than Horizon ZD (20m) which itself was a slow burn.

GT7 has also done much better than Sport and should be an evergreen title like Sport was, Sifu sold 1m copies it is a definite success.

None of the games were pushed to get out of the way of Elden Ring, big games have released close together plenty of times and done perfectly fine.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Me and my partner are both playing Elden Rings (this is her first "souls" game). She loves the Borderlands games (I can't stand them), so she started playing the Tiny Tina game this morning.

I think it's likely that she'll fall off of Elden Ring and not return because of Tiny Tina, but we'll see.

I myself fully intend to finish Elden Ring before I start playing something else "properly". I'll probably play bits of Kirby when my partner is hogging the TV though.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notsosneakyguy: People who play Elden ring dont play the competing games and vise versa (on a mass scale). Much like jeff or other crew, they will play up to the big block, hard boss, etc, jump on something to take the edge off, notice they still hate souls games or dont get the appeal, besides bloodborne or sekiro which really didn't have the same feel of souls, then bounce off forever saying they will come back to it. Elden ring is tiring people out cause it wasn't supposed to be a finish it in 2 weeks game, but all the discoveries and hype moments are rushing critics, and they're having a bad time with it. Those who did reviews got it like 1 month in advance or something and could chew the great buffet that is Elden ring...everyone else will eat a bit get full and ask for some McDonald on the way home which goes down fast easy and cheap out. Moral of the story, most general audiences got hyped by memes and great reviews but most people even if Elden ring is easier... won't finish it and will plug for an easier alternative the market has. Most who play Kirby arent getting elden ring. Most who play sports arent getting Elden ring. Most who like tunic arent liking elden ring...i think. Well im off but you get my bad guess. XD.

Funny thing thou, For all the talk of hard elden ring...i think games in the past were hard enough that people would think this is just another game back then like 00s or 90s. I think im so used to funneled corridors and waypoints along with regen health and auto saves.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be curious how many of Horizons sales played it for exactly One Week.