"Another Great Year in Art Entertainment"

Three Categories in this order:

Every GAME I played

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Every MOVIE I watched

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Every SERIES/SHOW I saw

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Each category will start with my “Favorites of the Year”, then will be followed by an Alphabetical list. Skip ahead to see what interests you. Enjoy!

Top 10 Games I played in 2018!

(pictures taken from my in-game screenshots)

10. Detroit: Become Human

No Caption Provided

(I'm an Android, but I feel like a human, does that make me human? Should I have Civil Rights? Let's press buttons and do these "Quick Time Events" to find out!)

Gut Words to Describe this: Paradoxical, Historic, Personal

What I like about the Game: I bought into this story. Sure it is primarily rote material, but it's presented in a way that really resonated for me. As a “Choose your own Adventure” style game I honestly felt regret, pride, loss, and triumph through the web of choices it placed in front of me. In the end it made me connect with the main characters in a unique way few other titles have been able to.

Favorite Moment: My favorite moment is towards the end. My character comes across a piano and I chose to have him play it. He plays a piece that he played earlier in the game, but you can FEEL all the sadness and fear that had transpired through him from last he played it. Beautiful.

9. Destiny 2: Forsaken

No Caption Provided

(I'm a Space Warlock, avenging a fallen mentor, hunting escaped alien convicts, and pouncing around Space Rivendell!)

Gut Words to Describe this: Renewal, Surprise, Friendship

What I like About the Game: My wife started playing! That and everything else they added to refine the systems surrounding this loot driven shooting game. I CAN'T believe this game is on my Top Ten list again, but I can't deny the sheer amount of fun I had with it this year. The Expansion really made it feel like a whole new game. Also the addition of “The Gambit”/”Blind Well” is stellar, getting our friends together to execute perfect strategies was some of the most satisfying shit this year.

Favorite Moment: Discovering the existence of the Dreaming City with my wife...and then poking and exploring it with extreme jubilee. The wonder in our hearts was real that night.

8. Friday the 13th: The Game

No Caption Provided

(I'm at summer camp, it’s the dead of night. I'm either a counselor in for a night of drinking, goofin’, and promiscuity OR I'm a crazy homicidal monster man known as Jason in for a night of hot murders, what fun!)

Gut Words to Describe this: Shocking, Exhilarating, Addictive

What I Liked about the Gameplay: It reminded me how much I miss playing hide and go seek! Beyond that, the game really gave itself legs by allowing you to dig deep on hatching schemes. Whether you are a counselor baiting the enemy to allow your friend to escape, or you’re Jason systematically knocking out power grids to force your victims to scatter . Definitely a Surprise hit this year and a great game to play leading up to Halloween

Favorite Moment: Every moment you realized YOU’RE Jason for the round. It’s exhilarating in the same way you were deemed “It” in a game of tag as a kid. The power and anticipation in that moment is intense.

7. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission

No Caption Provided

(I'm a BOT who controls a Tiny BOT, on a mission to save all my little BOT friends from Aliens and Miscreants across the galaxy!)

Gut Words to Describe This: Magic, Fresh, Nostalgic, Freeing

What I Liked about the Game: It was a true VR experience tuned to the strengths and limitations of the hardware. Gaming from inside the game is an experience everyone should try.

Favorite Moment: Jammin to the music in Crystal Cave. Do yourself a favor and take a listen: Tite Mites

6. Marvel’s Spider-Man

No Caption Provided

(I'm Peter Parker, a guy just trying to make rent and stay cordial with his ex-girlfriend. Also I ride the subway in my underies!!)

Gut Words to Describe This: Exhilarating, Nuanced, Polished, Entertaining

What I liked about the Game: I can’t emphasize what a technical and artistic wonder swinging through New York City is. I don’t think the developers can get enough credit for pulling off something so damn breathtaking and making it seem so effortless. The only thing that got tired from playing this game were my hands...hah, otherwise I would have never stopped.

Favorite Moment: Easily the first time you jump out that window, sling your first web and that music swells...

5.Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

No Caption Provided

(I'm Kassandra, a mercenary uncovering the mysteries of Ancient Greece, my family, and-YAY SEA SHANTIES!!)

Gut Words to Describe This: Breadth, Scope, Moxie, Legacy

What I liked about the game: The sheer size of the world seems overkill at first. But as I slowly visited each land, I was greeted by delightful one off tales and characters each helping to color in a massively impressive tapestry. I also loved Kassandra, she's the right mix of badass, wiseass, and kickass.

Favorite moment: The accomplishment of looking at that massive map at the end, and seeing nothing left to do.

4. Ascension: Chronicles of the God Slayer

No Caption Provided

(I'm ME, playing a deck building strategic card game against assholes...oh... I mean “clever friends”…)

Gut Words to describe this: Smart, Unassuming, Worthwhile, Infuriating

What I like about the Game: I find it hard to believe this little card game has become one of my most played and most beloved titles this year. It’s got a great balance of strategy, skill, and luck. Each match I have feels incredibly fresh, even after the 5th or 5000th game. Also having good friends to play against is the best way, and maybe the only way to get the most value out of this title. It’s supported with a slew of expansions as well, which keeps me coming back daily.

Favorite Moment: Hitting a chain of combos that allows you to wipe the board multiple times...then heavily gloating about it as if you’d planned it ALL along!

3.Red Dead Redemption 2

No Caption Provided

(I'm Arthur Morgan, an outlaw looking for a more peaceful lot in life, but in the meantime, hey, “let’s get this Beard THICK!”)

Gut words to Describe this: Rich, Tactile, Immersive, Daring

What I Liked about the Game: They said this would redefine the genre, and they weren’t wrong. I came to this game hot off of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, and was ready for a similar experience, albeit as a cowboy. I was wrong, Red Dead did not allow you play this game as a big open world checklist. It challenged me to slow the fuck down and rethink what makes a game immersive. The answer was pace and character. I loved how this game let me take my sweet time and seemingly punished me for trying to rush things. It’s not a perfect game but damn did I learn a lot about myself and about how deep I appreciate the hard work of that went making this.

Favorite Moment: Dominoes! I now know how to play 5 variations of dominoes and play outside of Red Dead.

2. God of War

No Caption Provided

(I'm Kratos, a Greek God off to spread his wife's ashes, all while dodging a Pantheon of angry Norse Deities and raising a precocious son named “BOY”)

Gut Words to Describe this: Beautiful, heartfelt, Gargantuan, Somber

What I liked about the Game: The seamlessness of this journey connects you intricately with the players involved. You are there with Kratos from the start of this tale to the bitter end. The amazing story is somehow just as amazing as the combat. I’m used to games with great stories having lackluster game-play or Vice a versa. But, they nailed it, making this one of the best games ever made. And I didn’t even like the previous Franchise!

Favorite Moment: When I realized what Kratos needed to get in order to save his son’s life. His journey down the river back to his house had me welling up. Powerful Shit.

And my favorite game of the year is!

1.Monster Hunter World

No Caption Provided

(I'm a Hunter, out there riding pterodactyls, slaying dinosaurs, and hanging with Chef Cat!)

Gut Words to describe it: Incredible, Dumb, Consuming, Rewarding

What I liked about the Game: It’s weird, and obtuse in a way that kept me on my toes. I play an ABSURD amount of video games, so it's rare when I’m having a good time and I can't pinpoint exactly why. The answer was teamwork. Teamwork is at the core of Monster Hunter’s value for me. Getting online with our crew, eating together, stumbling over drunk, sharing supplies, dancing, showing off our spunky Palicos, sharing tips about a monster and then executing a plan to do the seemingly impossible was an INCREDIBLE experience every time . The discovery of each new creature filled you with awe and fear. The progression of your character was ridiculous yet somehow very serious. All in all, this is the most fun I had with a game this year and getting to share that fun with awesome people made it deftly soar to the top of my gaming list and I couldn't be happier about that.

Favorite Moment: Every time I Landed on top a monster and rode it. Every. Single. Time.

Once, Gamed(52 Games Total)

99Vidas 5/4/18 Eh, it’s not horrible.

It’s a side scrolling retro style arcade beat em up. The game try some fun combo systems but runs out of speed pretty quick. Looks good though.

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition 12/31/18 Stunning!

We went into our 5th year of playing one ongoing saga. I’ve lived 5 years with my character and it has been one of the greatest role playing experiences of my life.

A Way Out 12/4/18 This is great!

I had a fantastic time with this Co-Op splitscreen prison break adventure game. My wife and I played this together. There were truly MAGICAL moments where our gameplay synced up in a way that left us stunned. On the other hand the game presents a very serious tone with the story, but litters the gameplay with silly competitive mini games like “who can pop a wheelie on a wheel chair longer! Or who bench press more reps”. These mini games/moments (albeit fun) sometimes pop up when narratively your characters are in high stakes story beats (I think I was racing to the hospital to see my wife, when we found the wheelchair game). It lessens the importance of the narrative, but what the hell “check out this wheelie!”

Absolver 7/3/18 eh it’s not horrible

The art style of this slow paced competitive fighter is slick. The mystery around this environment is also intriguing. However the game relies on challenging real world players and to be honest, I couldn’t find many if any. The combat seemed so fascinating I wish I had someone to use it on.

Ascension: Chronicles of the God Slayer 12/31/18 Stunning!

It’s My biggest surprise of the year. I played this game with Mandy in the summer of 2014. After not touching it for four years, I found out a bunch of my friends played it well. And so happened the “Renaissance of Ascension”. This Deck building card game has become one my most played titles this year thanks to being well supported with a slew of interesting expansions and mostly thanks to the brilliant dickbag opponents who are my friends.

Almost a Hero 12/14/18 yea it’s good!

SO WHAT, I LIKE CLICKERS YOU WANNA FIGHT!!!??? This is actually a pretty well made clicker, good animations, fun characters, meaningful upgrades. Not a great narrative though, which is my favorite parts of these games.

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey 10/18/18 Stunning!

True to its name, this is an Odyssey in pure form. I was intimidated, but then fell in love with the expanse of this game. Kassandra is a powerhouse of charisma and strength. I love this franchise, and this rollicking adventure only furthered my appreciation for the Period time trekking Series that is Assassin’s Creed

Assassin’s Creed Origins Season Pass 6/26/18 This is great!

The post-release content for Origins could be enough for an entire game. I was flabbergasted at the fact that I was still playing this 2017 game halfway way through 2018. To be honest I started feeling fatigued, but just when I did, they released “Curse of the Pharaohs” and then I was fighting GIANT scorpions and parkouring through the Land of the Dead. Rad. Also, more should be said about the amazing “Discovery Tour Mode” they added to the game, which allows you to take a museum style audio tour through Egypt. Education meets entertainment.

Astro Bot: Rescue Mission 12/10/18 Stunning!

What a pure delight. This game gave me those feelings I felt as a kid playing Super Mario World for the first time. I was filled with wonder from start to finish. The game is a great example of the unique fun a Virtual Reality Experience can deliver.

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit 7/5/18 This is Great!

This standalone narrative choice driven game wonderfully layers a silly sense of whimsy on top of some very heavy topics including abuse, loneliness, and loss. I like these developers.

Bears Vs Babies 12/29/18 eh, it’s not horrible

While the title is stellar, the game just doesn’t seem well made. I don’t find it fun when the best move is to repeat the same thing 4 times in a row and you win.

Beatsaber 12/4/18 This is Great!

I didn’t need to play much of this to realize the genius of it. In Virtual Reality, you’re given two swords as a bass heavy beat drops into your headphones and squares start flying at you. It’s your job to slice through these squares to the music, effectively “combat dancing” through catchy ass songs. ONLY downside is it gets really sweaty which is never great for a VR headset.

Burnout Paradise Remastered 3/24/18 This is Great!

I’ve heard the Legend that this racing game is. And the legend is true: Polished, slick, heart pumping driving gameplay is abundant. Soundtrack is wonderfully dated, and the open world is filled with ramps, races and challenges to explore. Downside is...not to be that guy but..I got super Burned Out on BurnOut. Too much of the same stuff.

Celeste 6/12/18 Stunning!

Celeste is a great example of a game having pure heart. It delivers on a tight platforming experience and a neat , poignant commentary on mental health. Cool shit.

Clash Royale 12/31/18 This is Great!

Going on three years straight of playing this Tower Offense Game. Truth be told I played it very little this year, even got kicked out of my clan. But I kept up just enough to play the updates and to make this list. I still think it’s great.

Day of the Tentacle Remastered 8/30/18 Stunning!

Damn I love Tim Schafer and his crew of miscreants. Decades later this is such a joy to playthrough. The added benefit of audio commentary from the developers makes it all the better

Dead by Daylight 8/15/18 Yea, it’s Good.

I had no idea how much fun 1v6 online competitive play could be before this. The game is not amazing but has enough there to hook you figuratively and literally. Also getting to play as Michael Myers or getting chased by Freddy Krueger is thrilling

Destiny 2: Forsaken 9/12/18 This is Great!

I never expected Destiny to win me back. It was one of my favorite games last year, but I had mentally signed off of it. But then this expansion came out and relit that fire. Our clan reformed to trek the stars in search of glory and vengeance. To be honest, Bungie has proven I should never doubt this game again.

Detroit Become Human 5/29/18 Stunning!

I bought into this narrative choice based game wholeheartedly. I really felt for the characters and cheered for their successes while fretting their misadventures. While the themes may be cliche and on the nose, I still thoroughly enjoyed the journey David Cage brought me on. Not to mention the hours I gained after the story just poking around at the fictional web these developers made.

Downwell 5/3/18 Stunning!

This is a game I can always play. It’s an Arcade style shooter where you fall down a well, shooting and stomping on monsters along the way. It’s fast cool and addictive. Great stuff!

Dragon Fin Soup 5/5/18 not for me

The artstyle of this title drew me in, but the clunky controls/gameplay and the lack of good direction left me feeling unrewarded for my time spent with it

DropMix 5/22/18 This is Great!

This Peripheral based DJ Card Collecting Musical Mashup Game can be pure magic. Slicing Hall&Oats with Salt&Peppa is one of my crowning achievements in life. That being said, Collecting the cards to make music is dumb and unnecessarily difficult. Also, I don’t like using batteries in my life anymore. Also! it’s required for you to have nice Bluetooth speakers, cause the speaker on your phone can’t hack it. I still love this toy though.

Dungeon Punks 5/18/18 Eh, it’s not horrible

This indie Dungeon Crawler is well animated and has a great cast of characters. It hits a point though where you have mind numbingly grindy fights for experience. At some point the balance gave out and it just got boring

Dungeon Village 5/18/18 This is Great!

This fun phone game was everything I needed on a mobile device. You manage a Village that Adventurers stop at before heading out on there Big Quest. “You can’t slay a dragon without a good night’s rest and some croissants for breakfast”. Such a novel twist on a genre.

Farcry Primal 3/19/18 yea, it’s good

FarCry scratches a specific open world itch for me. That need to simply explore and collect. Nothing deep like Skyrim, nothing heavy like Nier, just popcorn exploration. The added benefit of befriending and riding Sabre tooth Tigers made this FarCry pretty awesome but in the end, it’s more of the same.

Final Fantasy XV Comrades 1/16/18 eh, it’s ok

The online addition of One of my favorite games of 2016 was something I’d been hotly anticipating. In the end it wasn’t what I had hoped for (which was the “hop in the car, listen to tunes, hunt and camp” loop that the main game provided, but with my online friends). Instead it was a mission based co op experience. Set in an interesting time period from the main game, I had every reason to like this (and I almost did) but in the end it simply didn’t live up to potential of what I thought it could’ve been.

Florence 5/27/18 Stunning!

They somehow captured the pure essence of life and love in a relationship with this 15 minute game from Australian Developers. Perfectly tuned to take advantage of the mobile phone, it expands the Versatility of how you think your phone is capable of telling a story. Brilliant.

Fortnite 5/9/18 Yea, it’s good

We had to try it. I generally like Fortnite. It’s tons of fun getting dropped into a world with nothing and having to scavenge yourself to victory. I’m bad at the building aspect of this game but I did enjoy how the game feels like a cartoon version hide and go seek. Plus playing with a friend is simply a joy. I get why it’s so big and I’m happy it’s making more people see gaming as a viable titan industry..

Friday the 13th the Game 10/22/18 This is Great!

This game got me. You either play as Jason or one of a gang of counselors. If you’re a counselor your job is to work together to escape, if you’re Jason, your job is to horrifically stop them from doing so. I was gobsmacked by how much value I got from this game. Working with friends to allude Jason or even better HUNTING your friends in a tense game of Cat and Mouse was remarkable. What a surprise hit for me this year. Hope it picks up again for Halloween next year.

Gang Beasts 1/9/18 yea, it’s good

Bought the newly released Ps4 version, same dumb fun as usual. Charm Kinda wears off after a while though

God of War 4/28/18 Stunning!

Easily one of the best games in the last Ten years. It blows me away that they made the amazing narrative journey of Kratos just as good as the brutal sharpness of his combative gameplay. This title makes you emotional yet still provides satisfying gameplay mechanics. It doesn’t overstay its welcome yet provides content for those thirsting for more. It’s visually/audibly stunning, the artistic direction is daring and well thought out. The performances are heart achingly good. A few overly cliche moments and clunky upgrade systems aside, this game hits all the marks

Grand Kingdom 5/18/18 yea, it’s good

A fun turn based kingdom strategy game. This title was more than met the eye. Grand Kingdon is Quite robust in its depth, it gives you a fresh take on turn based puzzle combat. An unforgiving difficulty spike, odd online systems, and super convoluted menu U.I drains what fun I was having exploring this game.

H1Z1 Royale 10/1/18 Dumb

I think I simply like the Battle Royale concept. This version isn’t good (limited weapon variety, strict character movement, bad parachuting) yet I still had fun when playing with friends.

Harry Potter Hogwarts Mystery 12/31/18 eh, it's ok

This is more like a long form storybook than it is a game. The interactive bits of this are mundane and uninspired. However! The art design, story, and dialogue is rather charming and honestly has made me continue playing this game despite my disinterested in this type of iPhone game.

Holedown 12/14/18 yea, it’s good

Simply puzzle iPhone game. Shoot a ball make things pops. It upgrades into a pretty neat timewaster

Homescapes 8/6/18 yea it’s good

What at first seems like a dumb home remodeling iPhone game trap, turns into a rather brilliant match three puzzler. It quickly goes beyond match 3 by introducing very ingenious twists on the formula. In the end, the puzzles got too hard and the dreaded iPhone game tropes of paying money to win overcame what fun I was having

Horizon Frozen Wilds 7/2/18 This is Great

I’ll take everything this franchise has to offer

KillerQueen 7/ 8/18 Stunning!

Sleeper hit of the year. This 10 person competitive local arcade cabinet sensation as been around since 2013. It’s myth was known, but we only discovered its amazingness this year. And it did not disappoint. There’s a part of me that wants to stop everything I do and dedicate my life to getting good at this game. My wife and Jordan feel the same.

King Oddball 6/2/18 yea it’s good

It’s easy to write off this crude Crown Wearing Moon Face game as dumb. BUT it’s not,... a clever angry bird- esqe puzzle game lies underneath it’s simple aesthetic along with a thin layer of humor. Well done

Kung Fu Panda The Showdown of Legendary Legends 5/18/18 Not for me

Stupid. LAZY smash bros rip off. Rips direct moves off, sheesh

Mafia III 8/25/18 yea it’s good

Set in 1960s New Orleans, this Crime drama gave me that city open sandbox I have been lacking in games since GTA 5. I liked it, but the one to one mechanics and lack of fast travel made it very boring at times. Worth noting, they made RACISM a game mechanic….and it worked disturbingly effectively. In the end, I found this a pretty fascinating tale whose main character, Lincoln Clay, reminded me of Rambo in First Blood. Sad, tortured, tragic, but still a trained cold blooded murderer.

Marvel’s Spider-Man 9/10/18 Stunning!

I smile just thinking about this take on our favorite web slinger. I loved this game. Such a tight romp through New York, saving citizens and trying to be a good nephew. The story and acting felt so natural too, I was startled to find myself so emotionally attached the narrative. Some marketing of this game before it released really put a tiny thorn in my playthrough because of spoilers it had within it but not enough not stop me from reveling in the joy it is to be Spider-Man.

Marvel Strike Force 5/18/18 eh it’s not horrible

Guilty pleasure Phone game. Turn based marvel character themed nonsense, whatever don’t judge me!

Mexican Train Dominoes 12/30/18 This is Great!

A new way to play dominoes and honestly it's instantly my favorite way to play dominoes now

Monster Hunter World 2/18/18 Stunning!

Incredible. This is the installment that captivated the gaming world. Our month of February was powered by Monster Hunter. Mandy, Bobby, Max, Brian, Anthony, AJ, Nakia, Zack, Marlent, John, Derek, Luis, Christian….these were our hunters. Each unique, each ready to jump in and explore this world, learn its wildlife, and tame its brush. The highs in this game were some of the most triumphant, (battling a Ratholos for 45 minutes, no lives left, no time left, then BOOM. You land the final blow, the dragon releases it’s death rattle and you could cry with happiness) more so because you were sharing them with your friends. Hard to grasp “online interfaces” definitely caused some annoying hiccups and convoluted systems are rife with this series, but in the end this title was an overall fun factory. Kudos to Chef Cat!

Moss 12/3/18 This is Great!

It was like being inside a LAIKA Film, so incredibly gorgeous. The scale of looking into this epic mouse world was breathtaking. It’s a platformer/puzzler with a heart of gold. Unfortunately I finished it not realizing I had finished it, kind of an soft ending. But who cares you can high five the mouse!

No Mans Sky Revisited 11/26/18 yea it’s good

They’ve added plenty to this 2016 game. I really liked it back then, So when my wife got into it and fell in love with all the changes they made, I was intrigued to jump back in. What they’ve added is impressive and I had fun for like an hour. BUT a random hostile creature spawn wiped me and my inventory out (which had legacy materials in it...) and the heartbreak made me walk away for good

Overwatch 12/31/18 Stunning!

I’ve written plenty about this game over the last two years. Simply put; it’s my favorite game. I didn’t put it on my top 10 list, cause it would’ve win everytime. I'm crazy for this franchise. Lots of great new Areas and Characters were doled out in 2018. This year was special cause in introduced the Overwatch League, an esports season that thrilled me every step of the way. What I loved most is that it finally gave me a sport to root for. I don’t follow football or basketball, but with Overwatch League, I finally have that avenue of social interaction to partake in and I love it. Only downside is after three years of events, they’re getting stale. But to be honest, I don’t care I’m in it for the costumes!

Postknight 7/31/18 yea it’s good

A quick fun phone game with a great loop of gameplay. Fun power ups and weapons make this title a good waste of time, hah

The Quiet Man 12/4 Not for me

What a hot mess. I want to applaud a game trying to deliver the hard of hearing experience to those who are not. But unlike Senua’s Sacrifice (which deftly created a platform to explore psychosis), the Quiet Man seems to use his disability as a gimmick and an inconsistent one at that. Your main character is deaf, but can still communicate through sign language. When you play as him you hear nothing but vibrations and muffled ambience. YET when he signs or reads lips, you do not get a translation to know what he’s signing. SO what experience am I supposed to have hear? Not of the character I’m controlling but of a hard of hearing person playing this game who doesn’t know sign or lip reading? Or is it conveying how hard games are to enjoy when you lack some of the abilities developers/industry/society expect you to have? Ehh well at least it make for good conversation. Played it twice to get true ending, didn’t enjoyed either play through.

Red Dead Redemption 2 11/26/18 Stunning!

Again, one of the best games to come out in years. I had such a visceral experience with this game. With encounters that seem tailor made for you, characters who live beyond the screen, and a powerful narrative which refines the definition of Redemption, Red Dead soars to a higher pillar of storytelling you rarely get to see. Cumbersome control schemes, over repetitive mission types, and inconsistent rules of the world between open and quest can definitely provide some headaches, but none of which deterred me from enjoying this expansive piece of work.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate 12/12/18 Great!

Yay! I’ll play this forever. The World of Light mode is so much more than I expected and it’s really frustrating, but in a fun way. This installment makes me want to dig for a deeper combat experience. No items, no map hazards… I definitely found myself up at night looking at pro smash videos trying to learn new tricks and strategies.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

MOVIES

Favorite 2017 movie I didn’t watch till 2018 is!

The Shape of Water

No Caption Provided

Elegant, Romantic, Dream-like

Top 10 Movies from THIS year!

10. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

No Caption Provided

Delightful, Surprising, Easy, Feels good

9. Bad Times at The El Royale

No Caption Provided

Fun, Stylish, Unapologetic

8. Mary Poppins Returns

No Caption Provided

Whimsical, Nostalgic, Heart Warming

7.Eighth Grade

No Caption Provided

Uncomfortable, Beautiful, Real

6.Avengers: Infinity War

No Caption Provided

Crazy, Impressive, Saturated

5.Black Panther

No Caption Provided

Bombastic, Invigorating, Thought provoking

4. Blind Spotting

No Caption Provided

Organic, Grounded, Heart Pounding

3.Roma

No Caption Provided

Exquisite, Detailed, Grand

2. Spider-man Into the Spiderverse

No Caption Provided

Endearing, Hilarious, Inspriational

And my favorite movie of the year is!

1.Sorry to Bother You

No Caption Provided

Quixotic, Powerful, Brilliant

Once, Moved (86 movies watched)

A Quiet Place 12/21/18 This is Great!

Rather remarkable in ambition. I Really respect the gumption to make a film with such a daring premise. That being said I definitely found my eyes rolling through overdone horror cliches.

A Star is Born 10/22/18 Yea, It’s Good

This is the 1954 version with Judy Garland. It’s an important tale of the highs and lows of Hollywood. I found the story great, but they padded out the movie with seemingly filler musical numbers which ended up making this movie fall rather flat for me. Garland is awesome though, no doubt. Her final lines definitely had me watering up.

A Star is Born 10/23/18 Stunning!

This is the 1937 version starring Janet Gaynor. This blew me away. Everything I liked about the 1954 version was done better here. Fredric March turns out such a stellar performance and the commentary the film makes on the movie industry is daring. Simply wonderful.

A Star is Born 10/24/18 Stunning!

This is the 1976 version starring Barbara Streisand. I loved this movie. Kris Kristofferson stole my heart within the first 15 minutes. The whole movie was a whirlwind of romance, music, and chemistry. It’s take on the Music Industry was smart and poignant. I fell for every second of this film and the final number still blows me away.

A Star is Born 12/13/18 This is Great!

This the 2018 version starring Lady Gaga. They truly did a great great job staying faithful to the source material yet paving their own path for modern times. Bradley Cooper blew me away with his performance as Jackson Maine. Lady Gaga was striking. The use of Andrew Dice Clay and Dave Chappelle in “stereotype breaking” roles was awesome. Great stuff.

A Wrinkle In Time 4/13/18 eh, it’s ok

I really enjoyed this fantastical journey. Even though I read the books as a kid I still had no idea where they would take me. Visually, I was feasting on every location and costume they put before me...unfortunately I didn’t find much substance beyond that. Rushed plot lines left me feeling a little cheapened by the end of the film. That being said...OPRAH’S THE BEST

All Eyez on Me 2/12/18 yea it’s good

This Bio Drama on Tupac Shakur surprisingly hooked me. Demetrius Shipp Jr. is an uncannily doppelganger to 2pac. Honestly just watching him, eerily, is what kept me invested in this movie. It starts falling apart towards the end when it gets VERY over the top and overtly heavy handed with the lead up to his death.

All the Way 1/17/18 Stunning!

Bryan Cranston plays a monster version of LBJ. And it’s fantastic. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Ant-man and Wasp 7/7/18 This is Great!

Marvel movies are fun. This one is some of the most fun. What I like about the Ant-Man movies is that even if he fails...the world or universe will be fine. I love the emphasis of being a parent in this franchise. Looking forward to more

Atomic Blonde 4/3/18 Stunning!

Yea, Charlize Theron is my hero. Great Action Movie top to bottom.

The Avengers 4/15/18 This is Great!

I originally saw this movie and thought it was “just fun”. But it gets better every time I see it. And this last time was no exception. What they pulled off with this film (combining four major movie franchises, successfully!) is some of the most important shit in recent cinema history.

Avengers : Age of Ultron 4/25/18 This is Great!

I liked it better with this second viewing. Ultron is a fascinating concept. Once again it blows me away how they pull this off

Avengers: Infinity War 4/26/18 Stunning!

Damn...they did it. This is a masterclass in the art of a blockbuster. So many threads expertly woven together. So many unique voices, mashed together with seeming ease. Very excited for its conclusion.

Bad Times at the El Royale 12/31/18 This is Great!

I like a movie that just wants be a movie. Akin to Baby Driver, this Film gives you that bombastic verve Pulp films should have. A delightful time and a standout performance by Cynthia Erivo

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 12/23/18 This is Great!

The Coens Brothers are cool. Here’s this anthology of quirky western tales, each unique, each charming, and each with a forbidding slant. “All Gold Canyon” was my favorite of the tales.

Baywatch 5/28/18 eh, it’s fine

This is dumb fun. No qualms with that.

The Big Sick 1/11/18 Stunning!

Fantastic. You feel the heart within this film from start to finish. Zoe Kazan is magical and Kumail Nanjiani is the definition of sincerity. I think everyone owes it to themselves to see this flick

Blackkklansman 12/18/18 eh, it’s fine

Rather underwhelmed by this movie. Don’t get me wrong it has a great soundtrack and powerful moments (Harry Belafonte...damn) But the Hollywood elements they added to the true story fell real flat for me. In the end it made we wonder what the hype was all about

Black Panther 2/17/18 Stunning!

Killer movie. Mandy and I spent two hours in a diner afterwards discussing everything from race to nationalism to the very concept of choice.

BladeRunner 2049 4/12/18 Yea it’s good

Pretty rad follow up to blade runner. Plot lines are dense but enjoyable to follow

BladeRunner 4/3/18 Yea it’s good

Great mood game in this classic, really like the overall tones they reach. But damn does Harrison Ford talk in one tone all through it. Truth be told I fell asleep in all three of my previous attempts to watch this movie.

Blindspotting 12/20/18 Stunning!

This Oakland based piece of cinema stole my heart and delighted my senses.The performances by the two leads was ripe with history and nuance. They hit you over the head by explaining the meaning of the title to you, but it really doesn't matter. This movie is amazing.

Bright 10/21/18 Yea it’s good

Better than it should’ve been. I liked the vibe and the world state.

CAMP 10/12/18 not for me

Not for me.

Captain America: The First Avenger 4/24/18 This is Great!

Stellar

Christopher Robin 9/2/18 This is Great!

Pooh is a fountain of wonderful quotes wrapped in an endearing film. “There’s ALWAYS time for a smackeral of wonder.”-Pooh

The Cloverfield Paradox 2/6/18 Yea it’s good

They announced AND released this movie with a trailer during the Super Bowl. I watched it that night cause I’m a sucker for silly marketing tricks like that. The Movie is trippy and adds nicely to the Cloverfield lore.

Clown 10/31/18 not for me

The premise is that a dad stumbles upon a clown costume while running late for his kids Birthday party. He throws the costume on and surprises his kid, once the party is over though….he can’t take the costume off… The curse of this demon clown spirit slowly transforms him into a monster and yada yada. The Movie is no good.

Coco 4/12/18 Stunning!

"Buhhhhhh"::sniff sniff::"buhhhh"

Crazy Rich Asians 12/21/18 Yea it’s good

A real fun flick to wrap Presents too. Great seeing Asians out there breaking stereotypes by playing cliche movie stereotypes. Shows Rom-Coms can definitely be broader.

Cube 9/14/18 This is Great!

A really smart well made thriller. Hats off. Fascinating premise.

Cube 2: Hypercube 9/14/18 eh, it’s fine

Uhhh they try to take the first movie to some trippier levels but...I dunno, it’s fine I guess

Cube Zero 9/17/18 not for me

Pretty dumb

Darkest Hour 3/3/18 This is Great!

Watched this immediately after Dunkirk, twas powerful

Doctor Strange 4/1/18 Yea, it’s good

First I saw this, we were sitting in the very front row. I feel like I actually GOT to see it now and it’s fun

Deadpool 2 5/20/18 This is Great

Ryan Reynolds and the writers of Deadpool are heroes

Death note 7/10/18 not for me

Bad movie interpretation of one of my favorite mangas

Deepwater Horizon 1/15/18 eh, it’s fine

Heart pumping, over dramatic, somehow cheapens the actual devastation of the event with all its action movie tropes

Divergent 3/31/18 Yea it’s good

Pretty rad, it’s a good one of these. If that makes sense, heh

Dunkirk 3/3/18 Stunning!

Blew me away. I was on edge through its entirety. What a magnificent way to tell such a moving moment in history.

Eighth Grade 12/23/18 Stunning!

Damn, this movie instantly brings me back to being 13 while at the same time feeling so LUCKY I’m not 13 in 2018

Escape from New York 6/2/18 Yea it’s good

Snake Plissken is one of those “so stupid that I’m totally on board” characters and his movie is no different

Fantastic Beasts:The Crimes of Grindlewald 11/15/18 eh, it’s fine

I really dig fleshing out the world of Harry Potter, however I just don't find Newt Scamander’s journey though it that interesting. He seems unnecessary and lost among the larger themes of this movie.

The Favourite 12/18/18 Stunning!

A great new twist on All about Eve. Marjory Coleman will blow you away

Happy Death Day 4/2/18 eh it’s fine

I have a weakness for any movie akin to ripping off Groundhogs Day. They may not be good but I secretly like them all

Hardcore Henry 9/10/18 This Is Great!

I can’t believe they made this. The whole movie is in heart pumping first person view. What action, what choreography, I was baffled multiple times while watching this. Is it good? Doesn’t really matter, it’s impressive.

The Hitman’s Bodyguard 4/2/18 Yea it’s good

Funny, nothing much to add

Guardians of the Galaxy 4/24/18 This is Great!

Still good

The Godfather 8/20/18 Stunning!

I hadn’t seen this since I was a teenager and now that I’m an adult...yea it’s just as good as everyone says. The way Coppola is able to convey pages of exposition without having an actor utter a single word is breathtaking. Top to bottom brilliance

The Godfather II 8/23 /18 This is Great!

Yea I really didn’t care for this as much. Seemed like a 180 from the first film as it literally starts with pages of exposition on screen, then has this self aware slant as if it knows the first Godfather was a hit. It really threw me off. That being said, the tale it tells is beautiful and the journey of the Corleone family is powerful.

The Godfather III 8/25/18 Yea it’s good

Never saw this before. The ending of this trilogy surprised me, I didn’t expect it to take place canonically so long after the last movie. Seeing The actors age through this epic family drama was really cool. Al Pacino sounds so weird though.

Green Book 12/31/18 Stunning!

It's a movie ass movie. Hits every staple to make you go "wow, now that's a film" (for example: based on a true story, topical relevance, dramatic scenes in the rain, trying to get home for Christmas...). Not a complaint, I bought into it and loved it all the more. At first it just feels like a twist on Driving Miss Daisy. Well actually...it's very close to that, but it makes strides to flesh out the two main characters and to show differences of power and race. Powerful Performances.

I Am The Pretty Thing that Lives in the Walls 11/11/18 not for me

Nakia...why….

The Incredibles 6/21/18 This is Great!

I did not like this movie when it first came out. Thought it started great but fizzled out quickly. I take all of that back now, love it the whole way through

The Incredibles II 6/22/18 Yea it’s good

Not many thoughts about this, successfully told the next episode of this super family

Insurgent 3/31/18 Yea it’s good

Fun series, that’s it

Kid Gorgeous 12/11/18 This is Great!

John Mulaney is some of best shit out there

Kubo and the Two Strings 11/8/18 Stunning!

G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S

La La Land 11/22/18 Stunning!

Oh this movie, it makes me smile and water up every time.

Ladybird 3/4/18 This is Great!

Really great slice of life flick. The relationship with her mom is striking to watch

Liberated: The New Sexual Revolution 10/21/18 Yea it’s good

Fascinating documentary looking at hook up culture. Sad, scary, cool, enlightening

Mamma Mia! Here we Go Again 7/20/18 This is Great!

I can’t tell how much I enjoyed this Movie Musical. I didn’t care for the first one, but this sequel was great. I think the original tried bringing a stage experience to film while this was built for film from the start. I think it makes a huge difference. Lily James is darling, and her strength in this character shines. They also cut Peirce’s singing time WAAAAAY down.

Mary Poppins 12/17/18 Stunning!

Mary Poppins is so pretty, Dick Van Dyke is so handsome. Both are out of this world in their own right. Mandy and I tried to breakdown Mary Poppins magic through D&D logic, twas fun

Mary Poppins Returns 12/30/18 Stunning!

Nostalgia factors in heavily when thinking of this. It captures the whimsy and frivolity from the original and by staying the course they deliver a delightful journey of love and exquisite imagination. They follow the beats of the first movie pretty much one to one. At times you can see them REALLY trying to make a “-like” songs as catchy as the originals, time and kids will let us know if they did. Also some cameos knocked me on my ass, so good. Meryl Streep's “Turning Turtle” is my jam though: Link: Turning Turtle

Meeting the Enemy 6/25/18 This is Great!

Great Doc about a Muslim Women taking the chance to real meaningful conversation with the Alt-Right

Mute 6/12/18 not for me

Dumb

Ninja Batman 5/ 8/18 This is Great!

Not Dumb

The Ninjago Movie 6/24/18 This is Great!

Hilarious, I like whoever is making these LEGO movies

Oceans 8 6/16/18 Not for me

On paper, this should be the coolest flick of the year. In action it simply lacked my favorite element from the previous movies: Chemistry

Only Lovers Left Alive 2/14/18 This is Great!

Tilda and Tom Hiddleston are total forces of nature in this. Worth seeing just for their combined screen presence

Pop star: NeverStop Neverstopping 1/24/18 Yea, it’s good

Dumb...but in a fun way

The Purge 7/7/18 Yea it’s good

Yea, this was pretty wild. Hated the kid in this though, so forced

The Purge Anarchy 7/7/18 eh, it’s fine

Not great, still love the overall premise of this series though

Ready Player One 4/10/18 Yea it’s good

Totally fun blockbuster movie. Although I feel like this was just Spielberg’s long winded way of telling his grandkids to get off Fortnite and come to dinner

Roma 12/18/18 Stunning!

Wow. If you wanna see a filmmaker at the height of his craft, watch this movie by Alfonso Cuaron

The Shape of Water 1/9/18 Stunning!

Beauty. Odd. Awesome. So glad this won Best Picture.

Solo a Star Wars Story 5/25/18 eh, it’s fine

A little too fanservicey for me. Saw a lot of missed opportunities, but hey a special appearance at the end had me out of my seat in excitement

Sorry to Bother You 12/14/18 Stunning!

Floored me. I can’t think of one thing I didn’t like about this. Still chewing on everything it set up. damn.

Spider-Man Into The Spiderverse 12/16/18 Stunning!

The feel good film of the year. You wanna smile for a straight hour and a half, watch this. Brilliant.

Stitches 10/29/18 Not for me

What should’ve been a dumb killer clown movie actually had some value in the form that the horror was kinda clever and funny

Thor 4/1/18 This is Great!

Still fun

Thor The Dark World 4/24/18 not for me

Baaaaaad

Thor: Ragnorok 4/15/18 This is Great!

The series developing its own self aware humor really helps extend the interest in it. Also it’s hilarious

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri 3/1/18 Stunning!

Brilliant performances across the boards. Sam Rockwell kills me.

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before 12/20/18 Yea it’s good

A Fun watch. Infuriating rom com tropes aside I really liked the main actress

When We First Met 8/20/18 eh, it’s fine

Again I’m a sucker for movie that rip off Groundhogs day.

The Wiz 3/08/18 This is Great!

So weird. It’s great. The music floors me every time.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

SHOWS/SERIES

Top Shows/Series I watched this Year!

10. Big Mouth Seasons 1 & 2

No Caption Provided

Well Written, Raw, More than meets the eye

9. Castlevania Season 2

No Caption Provided

Brutal, Tragic, Epic

8. Arrested Development Season 5

No Caption Provided

Insane, unexplainable, frenzied

7. Disenchantment

No Caption Provided

Quick, Clever, Silly

6. Wild Wild Country

No Caption Provided

Eye opening, raw, unfortunate

5. American Vandal Seasons 1 & 2

No Caption Provided

Scary, Funny, Impressive

4.Grown

No Caption Provided

Deep, Endearing, Organic

3. Dear White People Season 2

No Caption Provided

Thought provoking, Consistent, Crisp,

2. End of the F***ing World

No Caption Provided

Delightful, Measured, Brilliant

And my favorite show this year is!

1.Barry

No Caption Provided

Precise, Hilarious, Threatening

Once, Seried(34 shows seen)

13 Reasons Why S.2 8/16/18 yea it’s good

At first I couldn’t understand why a second season was in the works. Upon watching it, I do find it important to tell the story after a loved one takes their life. The story doesn't end and I think it's cool they explore that.

American Horror Story: Cult 10/20/18 Yea, it’s good

I Really enjoyed the set up to this season. The real world election process brought a dread to me that I saw depicted on screen, and I identified hard with it. But it doesn't hold steam till the end and spins into weird filler territory which wore out the shows welcome.

American Horror Story: My Roanoke Nightmare 10/14/18 Not for me

The idea of a TV show about a Tv show about a haunting is cool, the result was uneven and barely interesting to me

American Vandal 9/14/18 Stunning!

I was not expecting to be blown away from this series. At first I thought it was just a funny dick joke and I did not expect it to be interesting pass the first episode. I was wrong. This is a perfect case of “not judging a book by its cover”. Hats off to all those involved in this title

American Vandal S.2 9/18/18 This is Great!

They continue to make impressive content despite what at first seems like a flimsy premise. Kudos!

Altered Carbon 2/3/18 Yea, it’s Good

No joke I enjoyed this sci-fi caper. Instead of dying, have your consciousness uploaded to a new body, pretty convenient...for those who can pay for it.

Arrested Development S.4 9/11/18 Stunning!

Herbert Love

Arrested Development S.5 11/18/18 Stunning!

What beach house?

Ballers Season 3 1/17/18 eh, it’s fine

Entertaining to watch but mostly forgettable

Barry 5/31/18 Stunning!

A hit-man discovers his love for acting. Yea this title has it all. Just watch it.

Big Mouth 11/28/18 This is Great!

Every trailer I saw of this, turned me off. A few friends talked highly of it and after giving it a chance...they were right. Behind the shit and boobs jokes is a really smart sincere and brutally honest story about coming of age. Not flawless, but great nonetheless.

Black Mirror S.4 7/9 This is Great!

More of the same. This show has become a parody of itself. Still great though

Castlevania S. 2 12/14/18 This is Great!

Wow. The art style alone could be enough for me to love this. The deep lore and beat to beat story is compelling to boot.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina 11/11/18 Yea, its good.

Waaaaaaayy better than I thought it would be. Their reverence for the dark arts is pretty fascinating. Ambrose is one of the most interestingly charismatic characters on television right now.

Coach Snoop 2/9/18 Yea it’s Good

I love Snoop’s love for youth, people, and sport in this documentary. I don’t love how he thinks a teenager’s confidence problems should be solved by getting him laid. Weird dumb masculine mentality crap.

Dear White People S.2 5/16/18 Stunning!

Crisp, Smart. Poignant, even better than the first season.

Deathnote 12/10/18 Stunning!

The Anime is spectacular, great voice acting, great animation, great soundtrack. Wraps up satisfyingly

Disenchament 9/7/18 This is Great!

Won me over. I’m fully in to see what mishaps and misadventures Bean, Luci and Elfo get up to from now on.

The End of the F***king World 9/1/18 Stunning!

This shit is genius to me. I rarely see material do this much in such a small amount of time. Has become one of my favorite shows to date.

Evil Genius 6/5 eh, it’s fine

Starts off intriguing as hell, but then drags on as you start to realize the makers don't have much more story to tell

GLOW S.2 7/3 yea, it’s good

Continues the arcs of the great cast of characters from season 1, but then falls into filler zone with a slew of episodes that just don't move the plot anywhere.

Grown 5/22/08 Stunning!

Brilliant. Shining light on the beauty that is the Haitian American experience in Miami is monumental. Characters that win your heart over and a plot that makes you feel right there in the thick of it.

Jessica Jones S.2 10/11/18 This is Great!

I really like where they took this plot. Jessica is a complex character to roll with . I hope to roll with her for another season

Joel Mchale Show with Joel Mchale 5/12/18 Yea, its good

Dumb and funny. The right kind of nonsensical irreverence I wanted from it. Also it helped me keep up what was happening on tv these days

Lost in Space 5/18/18 Not for me

Weird and slow. Contrived, yet visually appealing.

Orange is the New Black S. 6 8/2/18 This is Great!

The series continues to dole out interesting content for characters I'll follow till the end

The Punisher 9/25/18 This is Great!

Violent and tragic. I appreciated them going into depth to deliver multiple threads a Vet story, and the hardships that can come of it.

She-Ra Princess of Power 12/14/18 This is Great!

Truly wonderful. A colorful cast is fun over the top epic fantasy tale. Every episode Felt a bit like watching a D&D session.

Skylanders Academy S.2 6/30/18 This is Great!

Only Mandy and I like this show, and it just keeps going

Thirteen Deadly Sims 5/4/18 This is Great!

Hilarity from such an unexpected platform: The Sims 4

Voltron Legendary Defender S.4 6/11/18 This is Great!

I love this series

Voltron Legendary Defender S.5 6/22/18 This is Great!

Show cranks out content like it’s no one’s business

The Walking Dead S.8 9/28/18 eh, it’s fine

Pretty dry, Just watching to see how it compares with the comics at this point

Wild Wild Country 6/22/18 Stunning!

This chronicles a religion that pushed America...and America pushed back. No side is clean in this enlightening documentary

And that’s a wrap. Thanks for reading. If you are morbidly interested in more, here is a list of previous lists!

2017: One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, REVIEWFISH!

2016: A Review Askew!

2015! Reduce. REVIEW. Recycle!

2014: Reviewsical the Musical!

2013: Reviewtiful Joe!

2012: A Review to a Kill

Happy New Year!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1 chaser324  Moderator

Wow! This is thorough.

XenturiK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 19

@chaser324: yeah, hah. you're not wrong. Thanks for perusing

MrCropes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Absolutely beautifully written with top-notch taste!

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

2018: Olivia REVIEWton John! 1/6/19 Stunning!

XenturiK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 19

@acura_max: This is the nicest compliment I've ever gotten. Danke