Aren't you bummed that achievements were removed?

• 53 results
sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

I am sure this has been spoken about before, but I can't find anything after a cursory look at the forums. Can anybody tell me why they took away Achievements and Trophies. I always thought that it was a critical part of what made the original site so unique. I'm really bummed that these features were taken out. How about you?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Calm your panties they will think about bringing it back in a couple of months !

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

yeah it's a real bummer.

They didn't actually remove the feature - technically they had to rebuild the entire web site from ground zero + the old database (I think?).

I guess they just didn't have time to completely rebuild the achievement feature. It's possible the person who originally built it isn't even working at the new Giant Bomb. When you consider what it must take to make that feature work I think it's at least a little understandable.

Casualty of the GB sale I guess. I miss it too.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that and the lack of forum activity on the main page are notable by their absence.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldnt care less about achievements, but the front page forum thingy needs to make a retun.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dungbootle

It was a great feature but they might bring it back later

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super bummed!

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achievements are terrible, thanks xbox

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes, I am. Can we move on, now?

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Yeah mega bummed

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't miss them much. I do miss trivia.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Catarrhal

The real tragedy behind their removal is that--because the database no longer exists--people can no longer post comments pertaining to any individual achievement; there was a lot of helpful information that's now vanished.

As far as tracking your own achievement progress is concerned, though--sure, it was a cool feature, but ultimately no one cares about your achievements.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah, I miss the feature. I moved to Raptr for the time being, their achievement tracking is pretty cool too :)

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No because i had more Steam achievements than any other kinds and those don't give magical internet points that no one but me ever looks at.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#15 gamer_152  Moderator

To quote Jeff:

"Everyone wants achievements, too, but that’s a much stickier situation. We’ll probably wait until the new consoles launch and see if anything related to achievements/trophies change and then consider our options. Building site scrapers and all that other junk only to have them break whenever anyone makes a change (or blocks your IP because you’re scraping their achievement/trophy data) was a colossal pain. I feel bad for anyone trying to build an entire business around that data."

I miss the feature quite a lot, I liked seeing my new achievements pop up on my profile, and raising my rank for games, but I understand why they had to go. Hopefully the console manufacturers will launch the next set of consoles with proper APIs for achievements and trophies, but I'm not holding my breath.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope but like someone said before i did like the trivia

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I am. And I'm even more bummed about the removal of quests and trivia. But that's just the way it is.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I haven't even used that feature in over a year.

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By sopachuco13
@pr1mus said:

No because i had more Steam achievements than any other kinds and those don't give magical internet points that no one but me ever looks at.

Yeah, but they still showed up. I look at achievements more according to the total number completed in each game. I don't really think that an overall number is really that important for me. I am sure that I am in the minority on that issue.

@morrow said:

Yeah, I miss the feature. I moved to Raptr for the time being, their achievement tracking is pretty cool too :)

Does Raptr have Xbox, Trophies, and Steam? I liked that Giant Bomb had all of them.

@gamer_152 said:

To quote Jeff:

"Everyone wants achievements, too, but that’s a much stickier situation. We’ll probably wait until the new consoles launch and see if anything related to achievements/trophies change and then consider our options. Building site scrapers and all that other junk only to have them break whenever anyone makes a change (or blocks your IP because you’re scraping their achievement/trophy data) was a colossal pain. I feel bad for anyone trying to build an entire business around that data."

I miss the feature quite a lot, I liked seeing my new achievements pop up on my profile, and raising my rank for games, but I understand why they had to go. Hopefully the console manufacturers will launch the next set of consoles with proper APIs for achievements and trophies, but I'm not holding my breath.

I understand too, but I would think if everybody wants them they would go through the pains of getting them back up.

P.S. Thanks for the official answer.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By NoobSauceG7

It is a bummer, it was one of my favorite features of the site but Dave and the guys are working their ass off so it is ok.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22 sweep  Moderator

Was thinking about this earlier - Giant Bomb had to be one of the few sites around who actually cultivated such a wide range of data, right? I mean, I had every achievement from Steam, my Blizzard accounts, my PS3 Trophies and my Gamerscore - what other website can boast that? That's gotta be a pretty strong USP for anyone visiting the site. I'd like to think it would be worth the effort to keep that stuff around - but then I'm not the one who has to actually make that effort, so maybe not :D

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Funkydupe

I didn't much care for the achievements system, it seemed like a lot of effort went into it though.

illegalnull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I will miss achievements and quests. I used to go questing to learn random things I didn't know, and it was a cool way to surf through the wiki to places you'd not normally visit.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be fine if achievements were removed from games altogether. I don't like the fact people have become so dependant on them, to the point where some people refuse to buy certain games that don't support them.

So no, I don't really miss the feature.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

I'm a little bummed that achievements were whacked, but I can see their reasoning behind dropping the feature. The same goes for trivia and quests. Those features were neat when they launched and a good way to bring in some new people, but at this point the site is established enough that they really don't need them anymore.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

The real tragedy behind their removal is that--because the database no longer exists--people can no longer post comments pertaining to any individual achievement; there was a lot of helpful information that's now vanished.

As far as tracking your own achievement progress is concerned, though--sure, it was a cool feature, but ultimately no one cares about your achievements.

No they don't, but I did like comparing against the community as a whole.

You're right about the database part of it. Each achievement having it's own comment space was useful for help and trading tips. It would be great if they could just bring back that part of it, without tracking the individual users, but I think the way they got new achievement sets in was by doing the site scrapes, so it probably isn't feasible

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@catarrhal said:

No they don't, but I did like comparing against the community as a whole.

You're right about the database part of it. Each achievement having it's own comment space was useful for help and trading tips. It would be great if they could just bring back that part of it, without tracking the individual users, but I think the way they got new achievement sets in was by doing the site scrapes, so it probably isn't feasible

The could just let users edit in the sets like they do for info on the wiki though.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I found them annoying and am glad they're gone. The only achievements that should exist are those that go toward improving the community, which basically means they should be focused on wiki work.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Branthog

@delroylindo said:

Yeah, that and the lack of forum activity on the main page are notable by their absence.

It's because they're ashamed of all of us in the forums and figured taking us off the front page would help hide us from the rest of the GB audience. It's like when you were in school and all the kids that had problems with randomly biting other kids all had their own class, to keep them out of gen-pop.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

Not really. It was a great feature to check your own achievements against others and having them all in one place is really the only thing that makes me care about them since there are so many different systems for them, like WoW, steam, live, etc. But Raptr already does achievement tracking better and faster in addition to hour tracking, so there are alternatives out there for that kind of stuff.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#32  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@sopachuco13 said:

To quote Jeff:

I understand too, but I would think if everybody wants them they would go through the pains of getting them back up.

P.S. Thanks for the official answer.

No problem. I'd really like them to start looking at bringing the achievement features back before the next console generation, but right now the engineers are still going through a lot of pains just trying to make sure this site functions like it was meant to.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope ... never really cared for that.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Nah, I'm good without them. I think they the whole feature was a waste of time and resources.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not that bothered about the achievements, they mostly just made me panic every now and again that I wasn't doing enough, although it was nice to get a ping every now and again when I went on some random wiki page.

Really miss the top forum disussions not being there - feel like I am missing out on the conversation all of a sudden. Like everyone at a party just walked out of the room and left me on my own.

seamus85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Yeah, I miss the feature ,but i only used it for looking at the rarely of my achivements

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Nah I don't miss this feature.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Way bummed about achievements.

Kidable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, because of the same reason I don't care about video game achievements. It cheapens experiences. The real "achievement" is the good feeling you get after communicating with good people bro, no tiny jpg with a number next to it can give you THAT Brosephiroth.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Fuck no.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#42  Edited By bibamatt

After being a lurker since the beginning, the achievement tracking is what finally made me sign up as a member. And here I am, years later, as a paying premium subscriber. Might've been different if they weren't here. I certainly wasn't interested (at the time) in the forum and I didn't need to register for any other reason.

Yeah, I miss them!

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I liked the achievement system but I really didn't actively try for them as much as I thought I would. It would be cool if they brought them back but it's not a big deal for me.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent a week trying to get achievements when I joined. Oh well.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Half the people in here seem to be talking about quests.

There was a certain satisfaction in seeing that I'd gotten enough achievements or trophies in a game to warrant an A rank, or even the occasional S rank. Although no one else cared. But I cared!

The achievement information also factored into my purchasing or rental decision slightly as all else being equal, the system I would choose to play a game on came down to how attainable the majority of the achievements were. Easy? 360. Difficult? PS3. Why? I don't know. I guess I just hate beating a game and only having 300/1000 points for doing so, or something along those lines.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

it will come back and it ain't no thang

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it was a cool feature

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm a little more bummed that everyone is now Nintendo "aligned". Seriously, I think they should give us the ability to choose our user name colors only this time they don't mean anything. All this red is a bit boring.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't miss them much. I do miss trivia.

Demoninu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blah who cares. Also as long as the site runs I'm good.