Blizzard says there's more Diablo coming this year...

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

...or at least that they'll be announcing something, which I imagine would be happening at Blizzcon:

Greetings heroes, I am community manager Brandy Camel, also known as Nevalistis.

On behalf of the Diablo team welcome back to Sanctuary for our newest season.

For those of you still rocking your heroes in Reaper of Souls, you might have noticed we did something a little bit different for Season 14:Themed Seasons.

The Season of Greed is our first Themed Season and we plan to explore additional themes in the future. If you'd like to know more, click the link in the video description below.

We'd also like to let you know that the forges here at Blizzard are burning hot. And we have multiple Diablo projects in the works. Some of them are going to take longer than others. But... we may have some things to show you later this year.

We hope you stay tuned, while we work to bring these Diablo experiences to life.

None of this would be possible without the support that you have shown us for over 20 years. So whether you first joined us in D3 or you are a seasoned veteran, thank you.

Diablo is, and always will be, part of Blizzard's identity, and we can't wait for the future.

Obviously there are a lot of options here, with probably the most likely either being Diablo III finally hitting the Switch, a Diablo II HD remaster/remake, or maybe Diablo IV getting announced. It's been a while since I checked into Diablo but it's nice to know that they're still working on stuff, even at this point I'd be more likely to load up a Path of Exile ladder than reinstall D3.

There's also a bunch of information on the new season here.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By haneybd87

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was mostly just additions to Diablo 3. More characters or modes or whatever.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diablo 3 on switch. Just think about it. Holy fuck.

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By yagami

...Brandy... Camel.

That's an awesome name.

Looking forward to more stuff.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Hm, I could see it being Diablo 2 HD that they'll immediately release and a Diablo 4 teaser/trailer.

Tried Path of Exile a few times, but something about it never felt as good as Diablo 3.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diablo 3 has been maintained really well. Seasons are fun, the Necromancer is ridiculous. I always keep coming back to it whenever new games lull even a little.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Since they messed around with consoles last time around, I'm curious if they'd do a third person adventure instead of the usual isometric view. Out of all their properties, Diablo is the most console-friendly in terms of translating the design to a controller.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

My dark horse prediction for one of these "multiple Diablo projects" is: a Diablo themed Hearthstone expansion. They dropped "Heroes of Warcraft" from the title quite a while ago and have done some other crossover stuff, so why not do this to help generate interest in some of the longer-term projects/games and inject something new into Hearthstone?

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it is a new Diablo, I hope they hew closer to I and II than to III. III was a fine game, but I think it was a pretty bad Diablo game.

I'm with Rorie. Path of Exile is the Diablo III I actually wanted.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would probably make me buy it a third time.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@frodobaggins said:

That would probably make me buy it a third time.

Right?! That would be amazing.

I would be shocked to also see a DIV announcement. It especially would coincide with a "some may take longer than others". Probably wouldn't be out for at least 2 years, maybe 3. Be pumped for it though if they did announce it!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i’m just about tapped out on d3. i think i would need some new classes or game modes to get me excited about the game i’ve been playing since 2012.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the nature of this announcement and the fact that she kept saying "Diablo experiences" I can't help but think they're doing something mobile focused.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would play Diablo 1 and 2 remasters.
Didn't like 3.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I couldn't remember if they'd already officially announced Diablo 2 HD and then I found this and wow, seems worth checkin out. Wonder if they'll get cease and desist'd once the official remaster/remake inevitably comes out.

Loading Video...

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bmccann42

@maxszy: Sorry but Diablo 3 on Switch does nothing for me. I like the Switch, but haven't touched it in months. I'm glad more software is coming to the platform, but I just can't get behind the bandwagon that wants everything on Switch.

Diablo 3 alone would probably be more than the system memory packed in with the Switch could handle. And I recognize memory cards aren't expensive, but that's an extra $20 on top of an already $80.00 (welcome to Canada) game that will play better on PC or PS4.

Just my thoughts at the moment.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cmblasko

@theht: Wow, how has that not been ceased and desisted yet? Looks really good, though.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I will happily play a HD version of Diablo 1 or 2. If it’s anything for 3 though, consider me uninterested.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Seikenfreak

Cautiously, yet very much looking forward to the Diablo 2 HD thing that has been rumored for awhile. They could easily mess it up with just an art style change IMO. If they decided to "clean" it all up and align it with their current Blizzard universe aesthetic.

I could see a Diablo 4 being teased at the end of that but a ways off. I think it was a long time for Diablo 3 from announcement to release? I remember the web page they had, was practically just black and it gradually revealed itself to be Diablos face. Felt like an eternity from then to release.

Oh and couldn't care less about the Switch.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By pweidman

Finally some news, TY Rorie.

I still play D3 seasons and still love the game, but I just wish they'd let us in on the development of Diablo 4. They hired a bunch of people to make it over a year ago. D3 has just a skeleton crew now; they don't even patch for seasons anymore, so D4 is what they're all working on I have no doubt. A D2HD version would be cool in the meantime. D3 on Switch I highly doubt. Hopefully they'll announce this Diablo stuff at Blizzcon this fall. The fact they allowed the community managers to reveal projects gives me some hope. As far as PoE, I get why people like it, and I respect GGG's efforts, especially the skill map and build diversity in the game, but it just doesn't keep my attention or click with me anywhere near like Diablo does. But, whatever blows up your skirt of course.

Dropaduski breaks it down some and echoes my thoughts pretty well btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMD3XxfCAYA

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cautiously, yet very much looking forward to the Diablo 2 HD thing that has been rumored for awhile. They could easily mess it up with just an art style change IMO. If they decided to "clean" it all up and align it with their current Blizzard universe aesthetic.

I could see a Diablo 4 being teased at the end of that but a ways off. I think it was a long time for Diablo 3 from announcement to release? I remember the web page they had, was practically just black and it gradually revealed itself to be Diablos face. Felt like an eternity from then to release.

Oh and couldn't care less about the Switch.

No clean all that shit up so that I can get round two of everyone freaking the fuck out over a rainbow being spotted in a screenshot.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Seikenfreak

@efesell: Yeeaaa.. I'll admit, I was definitely a small part of that crowd. I can't remember but I assume I was just a bit disappointed. Diablo 3 is certainly a pretty good game now, thanks to them making major changes off the poor launch and regular updates, and I've put plenty of hours into it, but it is its own thing. Aside from the secret area, it isn't all rainbows and unicorns, but it definitely isn't the same vibe as Diablo 1 or 2.

For the D2 HD update, I really just want them to redo the art assets to modern high resolution, but still keep the gritty, textured look of it all, higher quality audio. Make the internet side of it work in their modern Battle.net stuff. Putting it on some consoles would be a weird, neat idea. Bonus if they like.. somehow add features to the game like an endless random dungeon or a 6th act just to explore. Doubt they'd go that far though.

For Diablo 4.. Ehh I don't know what they could do. I'd really like it to go back to the previous art style but that'll probably never happen. Who knows, they could make it a third person action hack and slash thing with their signature classes and loot system.. No idea. I wouldn't necessarily be upset if they did something like that. If its some super clean art style and simplified gameplay for better phone play or Switch compatibility? Then I'm pissed.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I have nothing but love for Diablo 3, as someone who first played it long after the auction house fiasco launch happened. Jumped back in earlier this year and had a ton of fun, so would be very interested to see if they're going to announce a Diablo IV.

Also, y'all really want D3 on Switch? The game that requires a constant network connection and is a point-and-click action game? Would that work at all? I don't own a Switch, but Diablo 3 always seemed to me like a game that could only be on PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have nothing but love for Diablo 3, as someone who first played it long after the auction house fiasco launch happened. Jumped back in earlier this year and had a ton of fun, so would be very interested to see if they're going to announce a Diablo IV.

Also, y'all really want D3 on Switch? The game that requires a constant network connection and is a point-and-click action game? Would that work at all? I don't own a Switch, but Diablo 3 always seemed to me like a game that could only be on PC.

D3 doesn't require constant network on consoles and actually plays really well on consoles too. Can't imagine a switch version would be very difficult.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theoriginalatlas said:

D3 doesn't require constant network on consoles and actually plays really well on consoles too. Can't imagine a switch version would be very difficult.

It plays significantly better on console too, it maps to controller so well that I'm still baffled that they never brought that over into the PC version.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asmo917 said:

My dark horse prediction for one of these "multiple Diablo projects" is: a Diablo themed Hearthstone expansion. They dropped "Heroes of Warcraft" from the title quite a while ago and have done some other crossover stuff, so why not do this to help generate interest in some of the longer-term projects/games and inject something new into Hearthstone?

I could see this. Difficult to imagine it's Diablo 4. I mean what would a new Diablo sequel have to offer that isn't possible with Diablo 3?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: A complete redesign of class and loot progression. Since the launch of 3 they've learned a lot about what makes for a satisfying Diablo experience, and at this point 3 is very much a patchwork of ideas stacked on top of each other. There's plenty of stuff that has become redundant, and the game has been stuck in a state of constant upscaling for a while. At a certain point it just makes more sense to start fresh than to try to stack more stuff into a game where you have to account for a bunch of features that ultimately doesn't matter.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By haneybd87

@ares42: If they were to announce D4, which I’m still skeptical about, I’m guessing they would structure the gameplay in a way that would turn it into a perpetual money making machine like Overwatch or Hearthstone.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By flaminghobo

I hope one of these projects gives me a reason to care about Diablo. Come on, Blizz, you've managed to reel me in with every other franchise!

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

My guess is an FPS, something similar to vermintide.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: Oh god hook it to my veins.

I know that yes, it's a shallow experience all told. But I think I'd be lying if I didn't say that D3 is probably one of my favorite games ever and this is great news. This is coming from someone who never really touched D2 (which I'd surely give a shot with a remake) and no other ARPG really took a foothold with (Torchlight games were close). There's just something so insistently satisfying about its gameplay loop... *scratches neck*

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am still butthurt over the always online and server side reliance of the PC version, I don't have a console so that's no go for me. I get why they did what they did but now that they are free from the real money auction I think it is worth unhooking that aspect of the game, hopefully if they release a new or remaster Diablo title they will make that shift or else I will likely have to pass on that also.

Not sure how DII remaster is going to be like, those sprites were pretty dated, and didn't they upres it once already to 800x600 way back when that was still relevant? I mean new sprite work looks like it will be a daunting task to do it justice. Plus I honestly didn't really like some of the changes and the direction they were going post 1.09.

Also how about a Diablo point and click adventure game? I mean, the gameplay is very similar...

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

The thought of them releasing Diablo IV soon seems crazy, which is an even crazier thought to have. Diablo 3 is 6 years old...It's insane to think how much longevity Blizzard games have that after years and years they still remain relevant and feel new. Starcraft 2 is on 8 years and I can't imagine them even being close to announcing a new starcraft game. It just funny to realize how old D3 is and that for any other franchise/company it would seem long past time for a sequel.

It has to be Diablo 4 though, right? They added a ton of content for free to D 3 over the years, expanded the game in a ton of ways. It's been 4 years since Reaper of Souls, I can't imagine after all this time they will release a second major expansion. They must be announcing some small new stuff for future D3 seasons and then Diablo 4, as well as that Diablo 2 HD game.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intrigued. I really like Diablo as a mindless podcast game.

I'd love to see 1 and 2 on mobile.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A 1 and 2 hd remake would be nice, Kinda hoping for Diablo 4 but that chance is probably really small, it's probably gonna be a new class for 3.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: A lot of longtime fans are bored of or unhappy with the base of diablo 3. Diablo 4, theoretically offers more than an expansion because it is a clean slate that doesnt have to build off of the core of diablo 3.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers