Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Mystyr_E
http://kotaku.com/5743970/autistic-boy-branded-a-cheater-by-xbox-live

not even sure if he was actually cheating or not but....wow, Microsoft, really?
Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

fuck im too lazy to copy and paste the link...  explain?

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Akeldama

Thats pretty disgusting. Nobody as MS could give her a straight answer? I suppose questionable business practices are MS's MO.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Chris2KLee
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
" fuck im too lazy to copy and paste the link...  explain? "
MS thinks he's a cheater, while his mother says his autism makes him extremely focused, and therefore very good at games. MS zeroed his score and labeled him cheater.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

DUDE...the kid has autism...wtf microsoft -.-

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kjellm87

That was a new one...

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@Chris2KLee said:
" @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
MS thinks he's a cheater, while his mother says his autism makes him extremely focused, and therefore very good at games. MS zeroed his score and labeled him cheater. "
You could have just done this for him!
Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#8  Edited By Mystyr_E
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: 

whoops, forgot this ain't like other sites where posting a link makes it clickable, gah
Th3dz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Th3dz

Having autism doesn't make it impossible to cheat now does it? So why not wait for some confirmation on that before judging MS. They're not likely to do that kind of thing without a reason.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SuperWristBands

Whats to say he didn't do something to cheat? Hes 11, kids do stupid things.

To be fair I don't know MS policy on cheating. Do you need to hardware mod to be branded or can it be for simply exploiting? Either way, if the fault is on MS I bet we will see a lot more people become branded.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By AlexW00d

Who the fuck cares? 
What if I cheated and then claimed I was autistic to Ms to get my shit back? 
They need to be completely strict regardless, else people will take advantage of such things.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Sambambo

Bs. He cheated.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hunkulese

The mom sounds crazy. 

I bet he cheated. They don't label you a cheater for having a high gamerscore.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FluxWaveZ

He probably cheated.

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By s7evn
@Th3dz said:
" Having autism doesn't make it impossible to cheat now does it? So why not wait for some confirmation on that before judging MS. They're not likely to do that kind of thing without a reason. "      
Microsoft most likely won't release any information on how they confirmed that he cheated which is why we'll never truly know if the boy did or not.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman
@SuperSambo said:

" Bs. He cheated. "

That was my thought after reading that article. 

I think it's kind of funny. Whether he actually cheated or not though, there are other means of online social interaction this kid can partake in if he absolutely refuses to leave the house.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArchScabby

He probably did cheat.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chris2KLee
@ShaunassNZ said:
" @Chris2KLee said:
MS thinks he's a cheater, while his mother says his autism makes him extremely focused, and therefore very good at games. MS zeroed his score and labeled him cheater. "
You could have just done this for him! "
That would take effort!
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Three0neFive

implying the little shit didn't cheat 

"b-b-but my little snowflake is autistic, he couldn't have cheated because he's the bestest little angel!". no, fuck you lady. you have no proof besides your word - microsoft has hard evidence, otherwise they wouldn't have dared to take this measure.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@Chris2KLee said:
" @ShaunassNZ said:
" @Chris2KLee said:
You could have just done this for him! "
That would take effort! "
You just write a word, press a button and do copy and paste, easier than making a summary.
billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By billyhoush

How do you cheat? I know people who have modded systems so they play tons of games and have lots of achievements but I have no idea how people cheat. Also, look at the amount of gunk built up on those controllers!

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By craigbo180

If this is true and he just got banned because he was so good they could not conceive that anyone could be this amazing, then that's kind of a big compliment.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow i hate it how people freak out about this kind of news...  i mean microsoft wouldnt just accuse u of cheating just for a high gamerscore.  he probably "maxed" out  on all the achievments made.  like seriously though what does the fact that he's autistic have to do with anything?  i mean they could just talk about how its unfair treatment towards an 11 year old kid but noooooooo.  they have to point out that he has autism and the writer even includes a whole paragraph on what autism is.  this is why i hate journalism nowadays.  i guess its true that bad news does sell

@ShaunassNZ: and thank you for doing that for me

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BraveToaster

Meh, no need to get bent out of shape over a gamerscore.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@billyhoush said:
" How do you cheat? I know people who have modded systems so they play tons of games and have lots of achievements but I have no idea how people cheat. Also, look at the amount of gunk built up on those controllers! "
I don't know, but my time playing Modern Warfare 2, on the 360, in the past definitely proves that there are cheaters.
billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By billyhoush
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
" wow i hate it how people freak out about this kind of news...  i mean microsoft wouldnt just accuse u of cheating just for a high gamerscore.  he probably "maxed" out  on all the achievments made.  like seriously though what does the fact that he's autistic have to do with anything?  i mean they could just talk about how its unfair treatment towards an 11 year old kid but noooooooo.  they have to point out that he has autism and the writer even includes a whole paragraph on what autism is.  this is why i hate journalism nowadays.  i guess its true that bad news does sell "  
All stories are written with an angle. That's what makes them news worthy. Are you new to the media or under 25 years old?
Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Onno10

Oh noes not the gamerscore!

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fwylo

Sad :(.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pinworm45
@Axxol said:
" Meh, no need to get bent out of shape over a gamerscore. "
Yeah, let's throw logic at a child who has a mental illness that prevents him from seeing everything in a logical point of view.
JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30  Edited By JTB123

Anyone else notice the fact an 11 year old was playing Dead Rising and 50 cent was completely fine in that video? Pretty sure you have to be older than 11 to play those games...

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By beforet

Well, guess it's time for a PS3.

Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fontan

I have a friend whose PS3 controller is dirtier than that. Really. Much, much dirtier. 

A piece of me dies whenever I see it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xyzygy

What if he actually did cheat and he gets away with it just because he's autistic?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Like many people on Kotaku said..  I think it's best to wait for MS to officially respond to this.  Obviously MS customer support is going to have no clue about the workings of banning systems, but from what I understand they have a fairly complex system to determine whether or not somebody has cheated and it can only ban someone if they earn an unrealistic amount of achievements in a small time frame..  Like unlocking 1000/1000 in under a minute.  The situation reminds me of when Reach came out and people on the boards were kicking and screaming about how they "never did anything wrong".  When Bungie employee's personally checked the logging system to make sure it wasn't accidental..  it turned out they were cheating liars. 

Wouldn't surprise me if this turns out to be a similar situation.  But even if it's not and it turns out this kid is some kind of gaming god, I still don't see how Microsoft are to blame.  It's not like they could have known, and I don't think marking his profile as "autistic player" is much of a solution to the problem.  At most, this just shows a lack of communication between MS and their customer support. 

And as someone who works at the citizen's advice bureau, I can't say I've ever dealt with a helpful customer support line.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By StaticFalconar
@Mystyr_E: If he's really that good, shouldn't he be playing SC2 for money?
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By keyhunter
@Mystyr_E:  They must've had a legit reason. I've made gamerscore gains of 7000 in a period of 24 hr's. And I've modded my borderlands savegame to complete quests that were bugged and otherwise un-completable for achievements.
And I got banned by Bungie from Halo 3 for "speaking italian" which is by all means, cheating. So this kid must've been up to some shady shit to have that happen.
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KarlPilkington

God these cheating autistic kids, they're fucking everywhere.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By meteora

Autistic kids tend to excel in a particular field of area and do VERY well at it, so its no surprise that some will be very good at games.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MikkaQ

I like how they call just sitting there and shooting people online all day his only form of "social interaction". Just go on Omegle or something. 

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rebirth1337
@Hunkulese said:
" The mom sounds crazy.  I bet he cheated. They don't label you a cheater for having a high gamerscore. "
Yeah I have a kind of high gamerscore and they don't tag me as a cheater. I also have someone on my friends list with about 100k but he doesn't cheat either. 
drgrumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By drgrumbles

OH  Noes not my gamer score that means nothing..   
The only 0 out your score if they think you have manipulated it.
Make a new account and get over it if you dont want the cheater tag.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@JTB123 said:
" Anyone else notice the fact an 11 year old was playing Dead Rising and 50 cent was completely fine in that video? Pretty sure you have to be older than 11 to play those games... "
No, you don't. There are plenty of 11-year-olds that are able to handle games like that just fine.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By WickedCestus

That seems fair. It's their system after all, and it's not like he's losing that much.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iam3green

pretty crazy man. i don't know what to think about it. microsoft does have ways to tell if you cheated or not.

NickyDubz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NickyDubz

Does anyone else find it funny that his mother who's worried about his lack of social skills is allowing him to play 50 cent blood in the sand? I guess its not my prerogative to raise her child but come on lady....ole jack thompson would have a field day with that, probably citing the violence caused his autism....ok I'm getting off the point just found it funny.  

Microsoft cannot be blamed for this......they have a strict set of rules that must be followed... its like if u are counting cards in Vegas they can kick you out and declare u a cheater autism or not its a private company trying to guilt them in to changing there rules is not the way to deal with it. if kids are harassing him turn off his voice chat its not like thats the kind of social interaction he needs unless he needs to hear racist and homophobic comments again and again

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" @JTB123 said:
" Anyone else notice the fact an 11 year old was playing Dead Rising and 50 cent was completely fine in that video? Pretty sure you have to be older than 11 to play those games... "
No, you don't. There are plenty of 11-year-olds that are able to handle games like that just fine. "
I'm pretty sure his point was that they are both 18 rated games and he shouldn't be playing them because of the content of the games not the skill needed to play them. 
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Just because he's autistic doesn't mean he isn't capable of cheating. My mom works with autistic kids at a middle school and she tells me stories about how some of them try stealing, cheating, and lying to get what they want because they don't know any better. 
 I'm curious what prove Microsoft has of his cheating. Normal they ban for getting achievements using outside help, not a high gamerscore.

Also why is that kid playing rated M games? Even if his only friend is his Xbox 360, thats still bad parenting.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By endless_void

Poor kid, to have such a lousy mother. ''He's lonely and has no friends'' Maybe she could help him out to make some? Bad parenting at its best.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Buck_Sexington: I wasn't talking about skill whatsoever. There's no law or anything saying you have to be a certain age to play a game. Many people under the age of 17 are able to handle the content of M-rated video games because, like most people, they know the difference between a video game and reality. It's up to the kid's parent/guardian to discern whether or not the kid is able to handle content like that, and most kids can. I would have missed out on a lot of great games if I didn't play M-rated games when I was around this kid's age. 

JTB said, "  Pretty sure you have to be older than 11 to play those games...  ", and I was simply saying that isn't the case. You don't have to be any specific age to play an M-rated game.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GreggD
@wasteguru said:
"  Just because he's autistic doesn't mean he isn't capable of cheating. My mom works with autistic kids at a middle school and she tells me stories about how some of them try stealing, cheating, and lying to get what they want because they don't know any better.  "
Exactly. I have Asperger's Syndrome and I can safely say I've cheated and lied a ton in my life. Now that I'm in my mid-20's, I see the faults in that kind of behavior, so I don't do it anymore, outside of reason. This kid probably did hack his account to raise his gamerscore. Hell, someone probably was talking about it in one of the games he was playing online, and he got the idea to do it from them.