Conversations - List or Wheel? What's your Preference and Why?

• 67 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli

I thought of me as a 'Conversation Wheel' man for the longest time. Being a Mass Effect fan and enjoying Bioware's trademark convo-wheel as much as I do. I think the best iteration of the wheel type mechanic is to be found in Alpha Protocol - since it adds an aspect of pressure to it, by making every decision time sensitive. Nonetheless, it's more suited for decision making than organic conversation.

I'm currently playing Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning, which features the classic expansive and expanding list of talking points - reminiscent of Oblivion and other games before that (it also has a rudimentary convo-wheel for decisive moments). The expansive and expanding list mechanic seems unwieldy at first, but it allows for a much more organic flow of conversation - at least if I invest into it and pick my talking points according to what naturally comes up in conversation. It's much better suited for roleplaying a regular conversation. Amalur's presentation isn't even that well-made with its silent protagonist and wooden animations, as well as frequently redundant lines when it comes to quest goals - but when I'm truely just engaging in a conversation and pick my talking points naturally, as they come up - the conversational flow feels so much more real and lifelike and much less scripted.

I am for a broad return of the expansive and expanding conversation list in RPGs. Just imagine how awesome it could be, if executed perfectly.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By h0lgr

Wheel, cause it fucking looks badass.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I want the game to roll a die based on my character's charisma level and then give me a list of awkward answers based on my aptitude for speech craft.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Sambambo

Does it really make a difference?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

List with number key shortcuts.

Also, why did you post after you made the poll? o_O

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By galiant

I can't vote, because it doesn't make a difference to me. It's whether the choices matter or not that I find interesting.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By xpgamer7

best I can think of is Indigo Prophecy/Heavy rain style dialogue. you have a limited time,and limited answers, so you choose fast and well.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox

The array doesn't matter in the slightest. The wheel only came about because picking from a vertical list on a controller sucks. It's really comes down to how well the short description fits the tone and intent of the actual line once it's said. Since ones in a list generally have the whole line of speech written out (because it'll actually fit on screen this way) I guess I'll have to choose that.

But in games that list a bunch of words or phrases you might have heard (talking points), and don't have any lines of dialog associated to picking them from the list (like older Elder Scrolls), I'd rather just not engage in any conversation at all. That's lazy writing and boring to the player.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jetsetwillie

its really difficult for me to care either way.

i'm indifferent you might say.

it something i've never really thought about until now and even after spending 4 minuets thinking about it i still don't have a concrete answer for you and perhaps never will.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seppli
@MrKlorox said:

The array doesn't matter in the slightest. The wheel only came about because picking from a vertical list on a controller sucks. It's really comes down to how well the short description fits the tone and intent of the actual line once it's said. Since ones in a list generally have the whole line of speech written out (because it'll actually fit on screen this way) I guess I'll have to choose that.  But in games that list a bunch of words or phrases you might have heard (talking points), and don't have any lines of dialog associated to picking them from the list (like older Elder Scrolls), I'd rather just not engage in any conversation at all. That's lazy writing and boring to the player.

The big upside of the list is that it can offer practically unlimited choices, where-as the wheel ususally caps-out at six.

Yes - when a list consists of 10+ talking points and even might expand organically when new talking points come up, it's a daunting thought at first to engage in a deep conversation. I found that if I was willing to put in the time and 'roleplay' the conversation though, I feel like it's the only way to go. The mechanic scales better with player effort.

By the sheer amount of talking points, the choices become granular enough that it feels like I truely interact with the characters, rather than chosing between a couple of scripted cinematics, respectively conversations.
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti

Proper dialogue TREES. (Fallout 1, 2, BG series, Planescape, etc...) With branching options, choices, avenues of questioning, different outcomes, indepth sentences from both parties.

Not a wheel or a list.

Amalur "converation" feels artificial as shit: take quest + blatant list of useless exposition monologues. Just UGH. Worst ever.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ChaosDent
I'm in favor of lists for dialog trees, if only because the way the wheel is presented paraphrases what your character will say, usually inaccurately.

@LordXavierBritish said:
I want the game to roll a die based on my character's charisma level and then give me a list of awkward answers based on my aptitude for speech craft.
Fallout 1 and 2 had this, so did Arcanum and to a lesser extent Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Based on your intelligence score or sometimes your race, the written text for your lines and often the NPC responses would vary pretty extremely.
RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RazielCuts

I like wheel because is the 'new' ish, but usually with the wheel you only get 6 options, where as with a list you can have as many as you like, but then if you have too many it means theres options under the fold you don't see right away.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wheel. It feels snappier.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Dagbiker

Tree

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Marz

alpha protocol had a really good convo system... i really want to see more games copy it.

Crypt135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Crypt135

@Galiant said:

I can't vote, because it doesn't make a difference to me. It's whether the choices matter or not that I find interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@h0lgr said:

Wheel, cause it fucking looks badass.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By spartanlolz92

depends i dont mind if you can scroll through the list but if you have to click every time to move it then id say wheel

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Give me a wheel with some unfolding menus (the Investigate option in Mass Effect) over a list.  Putting everything in a Goddamn list is really making me not want to talk to people in Amalur.  It scrolls so fucking slow, and you can't even go up at the top to wind up at the bottom.

If not a wheel, give me button presses that correspond to a selection (Alpha Protocol and Deus Ex did this). 

@Tennmuerti: This about presentation, not construction.  You can put a dialogue tree into a wheel or a list (all those games you used as examples used lists).

Only part I dislike about dialogue trees are if it allows you to loop.  Or if you have to loop back through stuff you've already heard in order to ask a different question and branch off somewhere else.  Trees should be constructed so that anything worth hearing gets shared.

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lagaroth

List, the wheel seems to force developers to attempt to summarize the actual line, and I've had a few cases where I hit something and my character says something I find completely different.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheHT

List, like in Dragon Age Origins.

I like seeing everything that's going to be said. I don't remember if Deus Ex listed everything Denton says, but that was OK too.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Deleth

Wheel and List are pretty much the same thing. With the wheel being newer and easier to control. So I go with wheel.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Tennmuerti said:

Proper dialogue TREES. (Fallout 1, 2, BG series, Planescape, etc...) With branching options, choices, avenues of questioning, different outcomes, indepth sentences from both parties.

Not a wheel or a list.

Amalur "converation" feels artificial as shit: take quest + blatant list of useless exposition monologues. Just UGH. Worst ever.

This.  Fuck, I really don't know why we can't speech to text parsers and proper interactive dialogue by now.  We get all thrilled when tiny phone ELIZA smartmouths but nobody thinks about implementing something like that on powerful hardware made for gaming.
Fozimuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fozimuth

I guess wheel is more convenient, but Bioware doesn't make very good use of it. Upper right for Paragon, left right for Renegade.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wheel for gamepads, list for keyboard.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By crusader8463

List. I hate how dumbed down game choices are when they use the wheel, and how it limits the way they can progress a story. When they are forced to use a wheel the game just boils down to the same stupid story with slight dialogue variants to make it seem goodie goodie, snarky dumb ass, and douche bag. I never feel like my choices mean anything when it's the wheel because you just decide from the get go what kind of character you want to play and you stick to picking the same spot every time because you are playing the good/bad guy. Compare that to the list in something like Dragon Age where I have literally spent a good 5-10 min trying to decide what option to pick because the game was able to have its story designed around everything having good/bad in every choice it feels like I'm playing a dumbed down game whenever an RPG uses a wheel.

When I play an RPG I want to make my character, my back story and feel like I'm making choices that fit my character. When you have to pick option A/B/C to fit in a predefined story progression it limits/destroys any re-playability for me because the changes in how the story progress have to be kept so minimal that it leaves me with no incentive to want to replay the game again with a different build when I'm done.

I really wish Bioware never invented that stupid wheel, and I hope other developers stop copying it. Whenever I see a game using it I lose a lot of interest in it on the spot for the above mentioned reasons.

EDIT: Also, I fucking HATE how the little summarized things never match what my guy says, and in many cases doesn't even come close to the feel or implications of what he actually says when I pick it. I can't recall specific examples, but I have had several occasions where I have picked a choice meaning for it to be sarcastic or jokingly ribbing a friendly character, because of how they summarized it, only to have my guy start chewing out a character or bitching and moaning. Whenever that happens it really takes me out of the game and makes me not want to play it.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29  Edited By zyn

List, because Skyrim.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jack268

List, because then the developer can map the first option to 1, the second to 2, etc., so you can hotkey through. For consoles though, the wheel is better.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By BulletproofMonk
@TheHT said:
List, like in Dragon Age Origins. 
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Lists, cause I'm used to it. And cause lists are boss. Feel boss.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Azteck

The Mass Effect style wheel.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Wheel feels much better, fluid and organic. List is so hardcore aspie imo. HERES THE STUFF I CAN TALK ABOUT, no dynamic sectioning or aspects of a topic to discuss.

And yes Alpha Protocols convos were great, everything else was terrible tho.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#35  Edited By StarvingGamer

After getting used to the wheel with ME and DA2, lists have become grating to my eyes. I can't stand them.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Spoonman671

Doesn't make a difference.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zeforgotten

Wheel with number shortkeys...  
So how the conversation wheel has worked for some time now (or.. since forever)

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rattle618

I think it is time for conversation mechanics to evolve into the next thing so I went with other. Of course I have no idea what the next thing should be...

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By Video_Game_King

Other: I just yell at the game until it decides to transcribe my yells into something that happens.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By nintendoeats

Wheels allow the developer to put the options in some kind of logical fashion without actually making one seem like a priority over the others. It also prevents you from accidentally selecting the first option before you've had a chance to read them all. Lastly, it reduces the number of button presses between the player and the option that they want to choose.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

Isn't a wheel just a round list?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By Humanity

The wheel to me is just another list. If Mass Effect just had a list that I thumb sticked up and down on it wouldn't change the gameplay for me one bit.

As a matter of fact sometimes, even though I knew it would never happen, I would get nervous that maybe my finger would slip on the analog and I'd choose the wrong dialog option.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tennmuerti

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the best example of a very good hybrid conversation system for everyone. You had 1-3 word options on basically a wheel for those that can't be arsed to read. Yet it provided the actual words you would say in a sentence if you hovered over the option, pleasing those who like their conversations beefy. It also held true to old school RPGs in allowing dialogue branches, choices, alternative questioning. And the best persuation system I have seen in any game to date.

@nintendoeats said:

Wheels allow the developer to put the options in some kind of logical fashion without actually making one seem like a priority over the others. It also prevents you from accidentally selecting the first option before you've had a chance to read them all. Lastly, it reduces the number of button presses between the player and the option that they want to choose.

From 1 to 0? Only ever took me 1 click or button press to select a dialogue option in pretty much every RPG. :)

@Brodehouse: This is the case where presentation is now affecting construction. Recent games like Skyrim, Reckoning have started to dumb down even lists to 1-3 words to match the wheel. :(

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By Red

I think the wheel, if done right, has the capacity to be better. Sometimes voice snippets can repeat through its use, or sometimes two options on the wheel can have the exact same line of dialogue. Also, the voice actor for the character given doesn't always work for specific kinds of characters, I.E. Mark Meer doesn't do a good voice if you wanna be a scoundrel-type character.

That being said, giving your character voice makes dialogue more involving to the player, and gives conversations a far more cinematic effect. It feels like you're playing an actual character in the story instead of just some blank slate.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nintendoeats

@Tennmuerti: I assume that you are referring to the usage of number keys rather than scrolling down to select an option. This is reduces clicks, but reduces reliability (since it's very easy to misclick if the game doesn't confirm). This also requires you to change mental modes when in dialog, since you go from thinking in terms of direction to the number keys. I suppose that this makes sense in older CRPGs that tend to be more hotkey based, but it doesn't make sense for games that are primarily direct-control.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Tennmuerti

@nintendoeats said:

@Tennmuerti: I assume that you are referring to the usage of number keys rather than scrolling down to select an option.

Most RPGs i've played over the years don't rely on scrolling at all since there are but a few lines in dialogue (quality over quantity) so i am referring to both number keys and simply clicking an option with the mouse.

This is reduces clicks, but reduces reliability (since it's very easy to misclick if the game doesn't confirm).

It's just as easy to select a wrong option with a wheel as with a list. Both methods can provide confirmation by highlighting the option. Personally I can't remember when was the last time I selected a wrong dialogue option by misclicking.

This also requires you to change mental modes when in dialog, since you go from thinking in terms of direction to the number keys.

I play RPGs with a mouse. No "changing mental modes" required.

I suppose that this makes sense in older CRPGs that tend to be more hotkey based, but it doesn't make sense for games that are primarily direct-control.

It has less to do with type of game and more with method of input. K+M is better suited to lists. Gamepad is better suited to the wheel. You can play direct control games with k+m.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By nintendoeats

@Tennmuerti said:

This is reduces clicks, but reduces reliability (since it's very easy to misclick if the game doesn't confirm).

Fist you say the wheel reduces button presses. Now you are chaning it to the reverse ...

It's just as easy to select a wrong option with a wheel imo as with a mouse. Neither way provides confirmation. Confirming every dialogue option, i honestly can't even remember any games doing that, regardless of method of input. People would go mad if they had to confirm every line.

Well, assuming key presses here (not mouse control which solves most of these problems comes with it's own nuisances), there is a damn big difference. With a dialog wheel you select an option then confirm it by pressing a button. It is more or less impossible to accidentally select an option, unless a cat jumps on your lap violently.

A mouse works pretty much the same way, but for games that do provide a lot of options (dear god Fallout New Vegas) things get clunkier. Of course dialog wheels don't always handle this scenario all that well either.

The biggest problem with a mouse is that moving the cursor through a big list is actually a lot more work than moving an analog stick, especially on the 24" monstrosities of today. This may sound like whining, but in really choice heavy games this can start to be really frustrating.

On the whole, those two input methods both have upsides and downsides. But as you said, they are each better suited to certain control methods. On the whole I prefer the dialog wheel, to the point where I would prefer to play that type of game with a controller unless the gameplay dictates otherwise.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tennmuerti

@nintendoeats: I read what you said more carefully realised you were talkng specifically about number keys and changed my line, I do that a lot when writing on forums, sorry :)

Fallout3 and hence New Vegas menus were designed by Bethesda primarily with consoles in mind hence they were huge on PC with like hat 3-4 lines visible? That's why people put out mods pretty much day 1 to allow PC players to see more options. Also most people who play on PC have mouse sensitivity pretty high. Moving the cursor through a big list isn't an issue at all.

Anyway my initial point is that both methods require only 1 button press or click with controller and mouse respectively.

I get what you were saying that it would take more button presses to go through a list with a controller.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By huntad

They both just seem aesthetic. In that case, either one is fine. I just want more depth and trees that branch off to different dialog choices. I don't want to say the good thing and then immediately get good points. I want to work my way there through trees, and feel like I actually had a conversation.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By nintendoeats

@Tennmuerti said:

Anyway my initial point is that both methods require only 1 button press or click with controller and mouse respectively.

It's true, they do. I can see why somebody might prefer the mouse option, but the added movement time turns me off of it. There is also the fact that you have to press a button on the same object that you are using to point at your selection, but that's mostly an issue for me because my desk is too high and I don't have as good a grip on my mouse as I would like.