Do Gamers have attachments to characters?

• 78 results
DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By DeathByWaffle

Depends on the game. There are some games where I really love and care about the characters, and continue to think about them far after I've beaten the game (Persona 3 and 4, or Enslaved). There are others that I never really think about it again.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By zombie2011

Dude from RDR and everyone in MW2.

Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Leafhopper

I know I have too many characters I am attached to.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By duskvamp

I got pretty attached to John Marston.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55  Edited By N7

Everyone from Metal Gear Solid 1 onward. I grew up with them and I can't let them go. :(

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#56  Edited By Lelcar

I'm always enthralled in the stories, characters, and mythology of videogames. There are pleanty of games that I get emotional playing, and it's great!

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57  Edited By wrighteous86

I was attached to Solid Snake despite all the ridiculous shit in those games. MGS4 made me realize how invested I was in that character and his ultimate fate. John Marston from Red Dead Redemption was also pretty awesome. The whole set of "personal" missions near the end really helped flesh that character out.

I was surprised by how invested I was in Niko's search for that "special someone" by the time that big decision came around in GTA IV (even though I didn't really like Niko much). Took me a few minutes to decide what to do, and it was a pretty tough choice.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#58  Edited By the8bitNacho
izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By izzygraze

I think it depends on the game and the game genre.

In the Metal Gear games you get a lot of cut scenes and through those you get a lot of character development. However, in Zelda Link never talks and we don't really get any character development. That happens in a lot of games with silent protagonists. They're there just as empty vessels.

Then in a lot of adventure games(rpg/action rpg/ etc) you're on a quest and a lot of the characters are either interesting but only there for a short time or are stilted and not very developed.

But yeah, I've grown attached to "my" shepard, Nathan Drake and other video game characters.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By John1912
@Kut_U_Up:   I dont think you know Comic nerds.   The readers and the company that owns the IP are HUGELY over protective of the chars.  It also rare that a game char builds an actual connection with the player,  Often times they lack the facets of a fully developed personality, or time frame to develop it properly.  IE think Mario, do you honestly give a shit if he talks or not? Do you care about the inner workings of his personality, or the Mario universe in general?

Gamers are attached and care about their characters, but its not on the same level.  If this works better think of games as the  movie based off a book.  The book is ALWAYS better.  
Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By awesomeusername

She sucks at video games. That's why she thinks this.

Anyways, yes. One example:

John Marston.:'(
Somadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By Somadude
@CaLe said:

"Nathan Drake and Sully. "

This, Mass Effect (1 & 2) and Final Fantasy IV. For me at least.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By Video_Game_King
@natetodamax said:
" Certainly. Too many to name, in fact. "
Exactly. There are just as many complex video game characters as there are complex comic book characters, so it's easy to see how somebody could become attached to either.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#64  Edited By dtat

I think the main difference is that comics stay with the same characters for decades. You get a lot more stories told about the same character than you do with games and movies. I would say tv shows foster a similar attachment to characters.

Of course there are video game characters we get attached to, but there simply aren't long enough story arcs for us to become upset with the characterization, or the way the character develops. Generally if we like the character, it's because they were developed well, had a good arc, etc. There aren't 400 issues of Red Dead Redemption for us to scrutinize over the different direction they've taken the characters of Mass Effect. 
Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Teaspoon83

Yes, for example Eli. God damn it, I yelled at the monitor as I couldn't do a damn thing but watch. And now I wait.... wait for Valve to finish the damn story and see what happens between Gordon Freeman, Alex and Dog. There hasn't been a movie that has done that yet.

nate6858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By nate6858

Space Quest was one of the first games I ever played and I still have fond memories of ol' Roger Wilco. 

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#67  Edited By Little_Socrates

I absolutely do, which is why I don't want York to appear in any other SWERY title ever, and why I am so angry about what Portal 2 did to Wheatley, a character I liked until the last couple of chapters.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#68  Edited By Hizang

Theres loads, have you watched the Persona 4 Endurance run?
Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Vexxan

I easily get attached to video game characters, I believe it's a good thing since it makes the story of a game way more interesting than if I hadn't given a shit about the characters.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#70  Edited By Yanngc33

Felt kind of sad at the end of Portal 2, leaving GLaDOS

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Ghostin

I think many ppl who play games have attachments to particular characters, but not always because of the games themselves.

I played many games when I was a kid, but I have a real attachment to the characters in Day of The Tentacle, as it was the first game I was ever bought as a christmas present, and played from new over the holidays.  It helps they were amazing characters, for sure... but I think the circumstances that I encountered them made them special to me in particular.

platzkart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By platzkart

If you can play through Mass Effect 2, VtM:B, Baldur's Gate or any similar character-driven game and NOT develop a connection to at least one of the characters, you should be subjected to a Voight-Kampff Test.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#73  Edited By willin

Not exactly what people are discussing but I have an incredible amount of attachment to my main World of Warcraft character. The hours of blood, sweat and tears I have put into that character makes me instantly attached to it. If anything happened to him I will choke a bitch.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74  Edited By Sooty

I love the characters of Enslaved, Persona 3 and Persona 4.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#75  Edited By NMC2008

I had an attachment to Joe from Mafia 2. I mean sure there were more but this one in particular was really something.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By JTB123

Without question, sometimes I even become attached to characters that aren't much of a character if you will.

A good example is Ryu Hayabusa from the Ninja Gaiden series.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By applet0n

I definitely feel it more strongly in RPG games that give dialogue options. Particularly in Bioware stuff like KOTOR, or games like Fallout 3, I start to feel a genuine attachment to certain characters (particularly if they are voiced).

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By MideonNViscera

I'd say overall I have less attachment to game characters than I do TV or movies. Definitely less than comic characters. There are a bunch of game characters I like, but only a handful of incredible games have ever made me actually give a shit about them. Most game characters are so retarded and unfunny I can't wait for them to die. Especially if I've had to rewatch an unskippable cutscene  (why do these still exist btw?) with them in it 10 times. 

It's not really a criticism of the games though. The ones where I care about the characters are story driven games and the ones where I don't generally aren't. Makes sense and it works for me.