Do you worry about the future of the site?

• 111 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5e5bc497650e6
deactivated-5e5bc497650e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I enjoy watching videos on Giant Bomb but find myself watching Twitch and YouTube videos more and more. What concerns me is that the bread and butter of GB is largely the same as the streamers: play a game and talk over it. Nothing wrong with that by any means (the crew is entertaining) but is this strategy viable long-term? The difference in overheads must be astronomical to say the least. How do you think GB will continue to thrive and prosper going forward?

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@fibabanchi: Considering the WSJ posted an article that Pewdiepie made $4 million in the last year, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say playing a game and talking over it will work out for them just fine and if not, I'm sure the GB crew will think of something. Jeff has been in this industry for 20 years now and knows the ins and outs and he saw that written previews were dying and went more into video production and he was right. It's probably why we don't see as much diversity of content like we used to on the site because Jeff saw the numbers and they didn't match the time and effort that went into making it.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheHumanDove

It's almost over. Everyone pack your bags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The majority of topics are likely to be stuff that has been discussed before. Not everyone views or contributes to these forums on a daily or even frequent basis.

Not surprising when you ask what you think to be a legitimate question and immediately get a smarmy reply.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

They keep doing exactly what they have been. Even if you want to compare Giant Bomb's content to the average Youtube streamer, what makes for great content is great personalities with interesting perspectives on the content itself. Giant Bomb's video content has always been diverse enough to cater to the situation - a quick look for a new game, or a running feature for an older one.

I watch a few Youtube personalities. Most of them are lesser known as far as I can tell (though I don't have their numbers to say so). I also subscribe to Giant Bomb. There's a good reason for that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By csl316

Nah.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I wouldn't say worried, more like curious. I think the GB team still has plenty of ideas in them, and as @mrcraggle said there's clearly a lot of life left in talking over video games. Heck, these guys were some of the first to get behind that in a big way. Hearing some of the travel ambitions that come up in Jeff's Jar Time videos cements my feeling that the crew will continue to be able to innovate. I'm more curious about the future staff they plan to hire and how well they mesh with the team.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's almost over. Everyone pack your bags

Yay more time to myself. That's where I'm a viking

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all I got my own problems to worry about, but I do hope for the best for this site.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Superkenon

No sense in worrying. Nothing lasts forever, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the ride.

Besides, they seem to be doing fine. Growing, in fact, as they're getting new people in soon, and Vinny & Alex are setting up a new studio in New York. Whenever Jeff's talked about the numbers, they seem to only be rising.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the future of this site.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By iceman228433

I would not be shocked either way if the site died it would not shock me, if it becomes even better it would not shock me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrewb: I agree, the breadth and production value of content here is very nice. I was just curious as to the overall effect that sites like Twitch have had. I think mrcraggle answered my question with his knowledge of Jeff's number crunching.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a hell of a ride.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

nope

they've got brand power/name recognition and they are very adaptable to changing conditions.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

The future of it? Nah. It's fine.

I think the key part is to see Giant Bomb as a supplement towards whatever your entertainment / video game news needs are, rather than the main contributor. It's easy to go through their backlog or through a period of heavy output and then feel bummed when there's a period of low output. I know quite a few of us went through that after the CBSi buyout.

Besides, I'm mostly here for the podcast these days, and occasionally the community. The community can be more than a little insular, but it can definitely have its golden moments as well.

Now, if they wanted to revive the Giant Bomb Unplugged - Pathfinder...

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I would not be shocked either way if the site died it would not shock me, if it becomes even better it would not shock me.

You are unable to be shocked.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#20 gamer_152  Moderator

I think to a large extent they're doing what makes sense for them, especially in the context of modern games coverage. I think the reasons the staff have increasingly angled towards video content over written content are that A. When researching new games and looking at potential purchases viewers can often get a much clearer idea of what a game is like by seeing it played right there on the screen in front of them, B. The site is very personality-driven and the best way for people to see those full personalities come through is often via video format, and C. A significant amount of the site is about pure entertainment rather than editorials or criticism and video or audio are usually the best mediums for that.

You're right that there are a lot of people streaming out games and talking over them but that's a wide umbrella, and to just look at Giant Bomb and a random YouTube or Twitch channel side by side and suggest that they're doing the same thing because they're both streaming out or recording games and then talking over them is reductionist. I mean PewDiePie and Giant Bomb are both people technically doing that but it's not like they're remotely interchangeable. Firstly, many of these content creators are set apart because they have different goals. Some people are trying to give people a look at new games or games they may not have seen or tried before (TotalBiscuit for example has his "WTF is..." series), some people are trying to display competitive play (most of the stuff on Twitch), and some people are trying to just provide silly, entertaining antics (e.g. SeaNanners, Makiplier, Tobuscus). Giant Bomb cover all three but mostly land somewhere between the first and third option, there are certain kinds of content creators that they're just not in direct competition with. Secondly, the Giant Bomb staff have unique personalities and a unique dynamic between them that can't be replicated which is very important considering their content and a lot of the content they compete with is so personality-driven. Sure, you can go see other people playing games but it's not like anyone is going to think "Oh, Giant Bomb have a stream with Jeff on but I can just go on YouTube and see a stream with Jeff on so why would I bother with Giant Bomb?". No, there's only one Jeff and he's here.

Giant Bomb have managed to dig their heels in pretty deep, they've got a relatively small but very enthused community of people here who are excited to see what they as people do next and as long as they keep doing what they do I don't think most people here are going to start drifting any time soon. If they were going for a broader audience, it might be a different story.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only reason to worry about the site it because there's a pretty strong vibe that none of them really want to be doing this anymore but probably couldn't get a better job.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

No because video game coverage is trending to exactly what they are doing. Video content. And they were ahead of the curve on this one honestly. They were doing long form videos before the whole craze really started to take off. Now you see IGN,GameSpot, Polygon ect... all upping their own video content.

Jeff is a smart guy who has a lot of years in the business. I'm sure he is well attuned to the direction the industry is going.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viking_funeral: It is easy to get addicted to the backlog. EG: I just discovered their bizarre (to me anyway) plane simulator videos.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really ... because what I would want they dont do it anyway (in depth criticism of games ... ala goosegoose with his Half Life 2 videos if you wanna know)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamer_152: You make some good points and can articulate them better than I ever could. This is where i think the line between subscriber and non-subscriber content is key and is probably an impossible thing to juggle without complaints. My impression is that the most personality driven and different content such as 'jar time' and 'SNES Party' series are behind a paywall. Do you think it would be beneficial to have more of this content front and centre?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They're expanding.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

They're in a weird position where they're 50% a games media site, with commentary on industry stories and rumors, inside connections and information, games reviews, and original journalism being done. And then they're 50% a 'personality driven' site much like those streamers, where they build an audience by being entertaining first and foremost, usually by telling jokes while streaming games being played.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CABBAGES

@spraynardtatum:

The more they have been expanding the worse the content and site is becoming.

Back before CBS bought them it was 10 times better.

I don't understand how they go on about needing more staff and editing videos and stuff.

They barely edit videos at all as most is just sit and play a game and talk or just taking in front of a camera.

I will stick by them in hope that things will get better but I am a bit worried that it wont.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@cabbages said:

@spraynardtatum:

The more they have been expanding the worse the content and site is becoming.

Back before CBS bought them it was 10 times better.

I don't understand how they go on about needing more staff and editing videos and stuff.

They barely edit videos at all as most is just sit and play a game and talk or just taking in front of a camera.

I will stick by them in hope that things will get better but I am a bit worried that it wont.

I'm not sure you know how much work it actually takes to operate a website with a skeleton crew, let alone to put out the level of content that they have managed to release.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Avatar image for deactivated-650f737f2e2d5
deactivated-650f737f2e2d5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say I worry, but I do think about it from time to time. On a site that's so video content driven, I wonder why they even bother with written reviews anymore. The idea just seems completely out-dated. I think they're missing an opportunity by not bringing back TNT. The site is very personality driven, so one way to capitalize on that is if the crew engage directly with the audience doing the thing we all love to do (play video games). I'll also be looking at the new hires as a barometer for how forward thinking they're being.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what would a day on the foums be without a random double-digit post doomsayer? :)

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It's weird that there have been a lot of people down on the site's future in the recent weeks. I think the site is perfectly fine with where it is. Yeah, Vinny left San Fran but I think GB East is going to be pretty sweet and I bet there will be a lot of good content from them. Plus if these rumors about Dan Rykert possibly joining the guys in San Fran are true than I think there is a bright future for the site. The formula that they have is working just fine.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I enjoy watching videos on Giant Bomb but find myself watching Twitch and YouTube videos more and more. What concerns me is that the bread and butter of GB is largely the same as the streamers: play a game and talk over it.

I say that is WHY they will be around in five years when some sites are gone. The games media websites the survive will do two things.

1) Have revenue model that is sustainable.

2) Provide content people want in a mode they want...likely video, audio, and some supplementary special written pieces.

I think from the businesses perspective, a outfit like j2 Global, Inc. (IGN) looks at what streamers make thinking, "That's money we could make too." They don't think "Whoops we are losing that cash" they are thinking, "Oh, look extremely unregulated cash we are not tapping...that we could easily tap that for a tidy profit."

The down side of this is, for the current games media, is 'can you work on camera?' Do you look 'okay' and come across well? Can you talk & improvise on camera? Can you build a following? Can you write well enough that an editor can punch it up?

To be honest even an odd looking person as long as they can talk on camera would work...people are accepting reality more and more...streaming proves that just as much as it proves a pretty face will get views. If people cream their pants for Kristen Schaal's face/voice...I know I do... then anyone can be anything folks.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#36  Edited By Sin4profit

I wouldn't call it worry, but more often then not i have to look elsewhere to find the content i'm looking for. There was a time, when some weird game no one has heard of came up on Steam, we'd get a quick look from Vinny. That kind of content has been thin, and what makes matters worse, it was thin during the "gaming drought" where there were plenty of weird games out that could have filled the gap. Patrick does a better job with covering indie stuff but ANY QL featuring just one person isn't going to have the same dynamics that make QLs both fun and informative.

So to answer your question, i'm not worried about their future, i'm excited for what the new changes can bring, but the unnerving truth is, i'm excited for change because i feel like it can't get any worse.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: That is a very condescending view to take. Your opinion is worth the same as mine.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By RonGalaxy

No. I have too many other things in my own life that I incessantly worry about. I love this site, but I have no real control over it's existence. If it were to go away tomorrow I'd be really fucking bummed out, but that's life.

I don't always live by this, but I think its best to appreciate the things you have WHILE you have them. Because when they do go away, at least you'll have the fond memories to cherish/reflect upon. Don't worry for the future, just appreciate what's right in front of you.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By cornbredx

No. Why, do you know something I don't?

Seriously though, not viable long term? They've been doing this for 6 years. I'd say it already has been for them.

And yes I think they are doing fine. A lot of people have been talking over videos of games long before Giantbomb started doing it, and will be long after they stop doing it for whatever reason. Their method of content is not an issue.

@cabbages: They don't need a video editor nor were they attempting to get one. They need more producers and are trying to get one (have got one? I don't know) as their content while not highly edited is heavily produced. Yes, this boils down to a need for someone else to run the tricaster and hold a camera at events. Editing is a tiny fraction of something they need for their content and not really the focus of what they are (were?) looking for. =)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: I would say that Giant Bomb originated the quick look format, at least to me they did. I just fear that the value of what the guys do has been lessened by other services.

BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I worry for it, but not because of some other youtubers or twitch players. The reason why I love this site is because of all the different personalities. Now Ryan has left us early (R.I.P), Dave no longer works here, Patrick has moved out to Chicago, and even though he still makes quality content, it was much more fun when he was with all the other duders, Vinny has moved to NY and he is easily my favorite person on this website. I'm just really afraid that I will not like the person they will hire to fill in their shoes. I especially worry about what will happen with the UPF's, because Brad usually just sleeps in them, Drew does not talk that much and Jeff will not have anyone to banter with.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so. If things were looking grim, Vinny would be leaving entirely instead of helping Alex in NY. I think the fact that they're expanding is a good sign. When one of the main dudes actually quits the site, that's when I'll start to worry.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: The options for watching people talk over games is larger than it has ever been. What will make Giant Bomb stand out to people who are NOT long-term users? It is easy to see the appeal when you have been visiting this websites for many years.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're expanding.

This.

No offense but this topic has come up a lot lately and it's getting tired.

It's a pretty common thing for people to conflate their losing interest in something with that thing becoming less interesting. To not do so requires a conscious effort.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ripelivejam: That is a very condescending view to take. Your opinion is worth the same as mine.

It's not that your opinion is worthless because you've got 20 posts, it's that this discussion or some form of it gets rehashed at least once a week and if you're one of the people with thousands of posts then obviously seeing the same thing being talked about over & over & over & over & over gets pretty annoying.

So no, I'm not worried because I don't work for Giant Bomb so eh. I hope they continue to exist because it's about the only gaming website I visit with any regularity, and I enjoy the personalities and think their content is fun. But if it dies then hey, I'll probably end up finding something else to tell me about obscure indie titles. Maybe and I'll certainly find something else to listen to in the spot of the Bombcast, as much as I'd miss it.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

No, I've only been here coming up on two years here in the fall and I've quickly realized it's the format that wins, not always the characters. Jeff is a huge part of why I'm on this site, but everyone else has been fairly interchangeable other than Ryan. And the few times I've dabbled into Gamespot's looser stuff, I've even found their main roster (Danny, Chris, Peter) to be really enjoyable as well. It's when they're forced to stay on script they can become a bit much to handle, but compared to the IGN guys' podcast/live stuff I'm infinitely more interested in how GameSpot is doing things. You can feel the Bomb's influence on GS and it's already made their site way more interesting in the past 6 months or so.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forkboy: I understand how you would find that annoying so i can only apologise for beating a dead horse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers