Does anyone make the game that I want?

TheBookNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheBookNerd

Bear with me here... But when Fortnite was originally announced like six or seven years ago, it seemed like the perfect game for me: base-building, crafting, persistent world, persistent enemy threats, single-player or co-op as you choose. The idea of building your base to survive ongoing attacks--even some that may occur while you are away--was very exciting. I couldn't wait!

Of course, we all know what Fortnite ultimately turned out to be. I did dabble in Save The World mode a bit, but even that was far from what I initially was so excited about.

In recent months I've combed Steam, the Epic Games Store, GiantBomb (of course) and other sites, as well as polling my friends. I've tried games like RimWorld, No Man's Sky, They Are Billions, Minecraft, Terreria, even Fallout: 76... Nothing really scratches that itch. First-person games feel slow because of the "literal" way you have to navigate the world. Top-down strategy games make me feel removed or don't have a level of graphic fidelity I'm looking for...

So does anyone have any suggestions for other games that would scratch this itch? Am I just being too picky? Is there a secret game out there I don't know about?? Help appreciated.

-MP

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

There are some cool modes that got introduced to fortnite where you survive for a week of game-time. Days are spent scavenging, repairing, and fortifying, and nights are spent in combat.

There’s also a mode where (it’s been a while, so this might be a little off) everyone builds their own mini-base and when you team up, the bases are all joined into a world. You then need to defend all the bases against waves.

These might no longer exist or be on rotation.

I’m with you, the co-op Fortnite is kinda cool and the promise of the pitch was great. I think they might have gotten there if not for the battle royale shit. Good on them, I guess, but it sucks for me.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NTM

Not sure if it'd be what you'd want, but if it's customization you're looking for, maybe Mario Maker or Little Big Planet? Oh, a game I personally do not like at all, but you might like is The Forest. It has you crash land on an island and it's up to you to survive. You need to, ideally at least, build a fort. You have to gather supplies to build things, so wood for fires and buildings, and find stuff like turtle shells to capture water. You're exploring the island to find out what happened to your son while there are cannibals around. They don't attack all the time but you have to be aware, and it's especially dangerous at night. There is co-op in it if you want to go that route. Anyways, that's the best I can describe it, but again, it might be for you, and it is definitely not for me. I really dislike it. It's one of the only games that I felt like I wasted money buying. That said, I generally do not like base building stuff, and extreme survival stuff is a bit off-putting. You should look it up if you haven't already.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Seven Days to Die, maybe? Hm.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not checked in on it for quite some time, and when I did it was still very, very, very early access, but Survive the Nights sort of fits the description you suggest - but more from what they want the game to be than what it is/was. Not near Steam to see it's current state but could be worth looking it up.

Wasn't there a mode in one of the Dead Island games like this too? Didn't play it myself, but seem to remember it be covered on a Quick Look, or UPF or similar. Base building, surviving etc.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#6 fisk0  Moderator

Didn't State of Decay 2 have co-op?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Sounds kinda like The Forest or State of Decay, so maybe give those a shot?

vhdblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you describe a bit more what you're actually trying to find? What do games like Rust or DayZ-Epoch not do or do that you don't like? Rust seems like dead on to what you are looking for. By persistent threats do you mean enemies or players?

TheBookNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I did play State of Decay (the first one) and enjoyed it. I think right now my time is more limited and I also play less frequently.

To the question from vhdblood re: what am I actually trying to find... Aside from everything I mentioned before (base building, crafting, materials collection, survival and a perpetual world) I need something that is more at the strategy level, preferably--like, not a first-person game ideally. And something that I can jump in and out of fairly easily. For example, "They Are Billions" would be ideal if it never ended (and if it was a bit easier!).

Y'all have already given me lots of ideas, so thanks for all of that. In the event that any more come to mind, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, guys!

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10 FinalDasa  Moderator

Dwarf Fortress.

No Caption Provided