Ever bought a game just to be part of the conversation?

• 74 results
JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By JayEH

Yeah I usually do it a few times a year. Can't name any recently off the top of my head but I'm sure I'll do it plenty this year.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@cmblasko: I purchase games way after release too. We should start a club.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@ntm: You're reading way too much into what I'm saying. I have a lot of fun talking about what makes a game good or bad, notions of storytelling, integrating gameplay into storytelling, what can be done to make a game better. But discussions that extend beyond what makes a game good or bad - all this stuff that's arisen about sexism, for example - are only going to sour the experience for me. It almost managed to do it with Tomb Raider, and the commentary on that game was relatively tame/silly.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By NTM

@veektarius said:

@ntm: You're reading way too much into what I'm saying. I have a lot of fun talking about what makes a game good or bad, notions of storytelling, integrating gameplay into storytelling, what can be done to make a game better. But discussions that extend beyond what makes a game good or bad - all this stuff that's arisen about sexism, for example - are only going to sour the experience for me. It almost managed to do it with Tomb Raider, and the commentary on that game was relatively tame/silly.

Oh, then I guess you're correct. Sorry about that. And I also agree with you, but I feel like if that's the case, it's a little off topic, kind of, like you're reading too much into the question. At least in how I interpreted the question. Thanks for the clarity, and again, sorry for the mistake. That kind of conversation you talk about somewhat bothers me as well, but that's why I don't pay much attention to it, and it never hinders my game experience or want to play a game.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

Yes.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

Fez, and I ended up loving that game.

Yup. One of my favorite games from 'last generation'

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I bought Bioshock Infinite at launch. Like, I was going to anyways, but if I waited for a sale, then I would have to avoid the hundreds of fucking Bioshock articles and threads that were everywhere after that game came out. So I'm completely glad I did buy that game at launch.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LA Noire, and I regretted it horribly.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By bluefish

I got The Walking Dead and Gone Home somewhat to play them before people had talked them to death.

But I was also very much down for what they were offering, so it was more for my own pleasure.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By schlorgan

I rented Aliens CM. That's about it though.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DayZ. I am completely intrigued by the stories that people have about human encounters in that game.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ltsmash

Bioshock Infinite and GTA V. Got my money's worth in both cases. Though I did sell both off soon after completing them.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm, I can think of two right now. I rented and beat The Last Of Us just so it wouldn't get spoiled for me and Brothers because Giant Bomb.

I probably would have played both anyway, though.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Dark Souls.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Walking Dead, for sure. Well, not so much to be a part of the conversation, but to understand the conversations that I had witnessed. Next to nothing about the basic facts and raw description of that game (zombies, post-apocalypse, adventure game, based on a comic book, etc.) would have gotten me to purchase it on its own but i decided to give it a go because of the reviews and discussions that were going on about it. Frankly, I still don't get it.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't think I have. I used to feel like I should, though. I'd rather play through stuff at my own pace and/or only play what I really want to than spend precious time preparing for a conversation that might not happen.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#66  Edited By LackingSaint

Absolutely. If I only played games that were immediately interesting to me just for my own sake, i'd have an extremely limited variety of games I played, and never would have got to enjoy fantastic games like Dishonored and Dark Souls. That said, the newer TellTale Adventure games are the only games i'll pre-order and play immediately specifically because I want to be able to talk about it immediately without a chance of spoilers.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to be part of the conversation but I guess being caught up in the hype. I wanted to get GTAV anyway because it's GTA, not one of those is made everyday and it's kind've a big event in gaming as a whole. I played through the first heist and was about to start the second and I haven't gone back to it since. I'll get back to at some stage but I'm in no rush to, the intrigue and pazazz has kind've worn off for me, I just know what that game is and I don't expect for it to change drastically.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, thats a silly reason to buy a game.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for noctisluciscaelum
NoctisLucisCaelum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

No.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I get what you're saying. I just figured that if the conversation about a game is about how good it is, I buy the game because it's good, not to be part of the conversation, so that left conversations that weren't about the game being good.

@ntm said:

@veektarius said:

Oh, then I guess you're correct. Sorry about that. And I also agree with you, but I feel like if that's the case, it's a little off topic, kind of, like you're reading too much into the question. At least in how I interpreted the question. Thanks for the clarity, and again, sorry for the mistake. That kind of conversation you talk about somewhat bothers me as well, but that's why I don't pay much attention to it, and it never hinders my game experience or want to play a game.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Yes I have, probably more often than I think. Most recent was BioInfinite where the talk on the bombcast got me so excited I bought the game and beat it as soon as I could before the crew did there spoiler/Vinny beat BioInfinite Stream.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Nope. I don't have that kind of money to throw away. I only buy a game if I'm interested in it myself. Sometimes that happens to be a game everyone is talking about, but more often then not it isn't.