Farewell and best wishes to Dan!

• 183 results
nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

@doombot13: If Dan “left” and continued on as Jeremiah, never acknowledging that he’s actually Dan, I would love that.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Dan was such a great inclusion to the staff and responsible for some of the best content on this site. From Demo Derby to Die Another Friday he was prominent for creating some amazing features on this site. He’s gonna be missed for sure. But I do wish him the best for his future endeavors! Hopefully he could make some visits as a guest even though he’s leaving the games industry entirely.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Not too surprising, but looks like he's WWE bound:

I'm sure whatever his role is, he'll kill it.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Aw well damn, that's disappointing. I've always enjoyed watching Dan be awful at video games and say really dumb stuff. He will be missed.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we get Drew to dress up as Snake from MGS3 and do the salute with a single tear thing in-front of screenshot of Dan’s tweet?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Thanks for the memories, Dan! You will assuredly have—and make new—raving fans wherever you go.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I’m going to be selfish and say this fucking sucks.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn. Sucks for us but presumably great for Dan.

On anything other than the most stupid awesome of action stuff I tend to vehemently disagree with Dan. But I always enjoyed his explanations for how he could be so wrong

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This is a huge bummer, the Beastcast and GBE was one of the last things I really liked on GB, and Dan was a huge part of that. He just had such an enthusiasm for games, that even though I don’t play many games nowadays I enjoyed.

Apparently After a quick google search he is doing podcasts with some wrestling group? Not verified or anything

sa_drone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By sa_drone

@conmulligan: Aw, and here I was hoping he was AEW-bound. WWE is an questionable organization and while I'm sure Dan will contribute in a positive way, it's kinda a shame to see him contribute his skills to getting people like Vince McMahon more money.

At any rate this is really sad news, but I'm happy for Dan following his dreams. Dude brought a shit-ton of personality and energy to the site at a time when it needed it the most, and without him the site continues to get just that much... sleepier and lazier, if I'm completely honest. I really, really miss the days of Giant Bomb taking chances, getting creative, and being scrappy and a little bit out there... pretty much since Ryan's untimely death/acquisition by CBS it's been going in the opposite direction (safer, quieter, less exciting) save for Dan's drive to push new and interesting content, even if it doesn't always land (the B-Game series, etc.).

Fingers crossed that his replacement is Mike Mahardy. I've felt like that one's been telegraphed for quite some time. Or who knows, maybe we get some more Austin now that he's not E-in-C at Waypoint.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to miss him, but I wonder who they will choose to replace him. Someone already known to the community or a complete unknown?

The obvious choice of Mike Mahardy can probably be shelved, since he seems to be doing just fine over at Gamespot, so I'd imagine some new face. Whoever it'll be, they definitely can't replace Dan. Not saying that they couldn't be an awesome person, I just don't think there's a single other being out there that could compete with the Forest Gump that Dan was.

KTipcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan Ryckert for president in 2020.

sa_drone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ktipcorn: You know what? Yes. Yes, this. Please.

AzlamOrlandu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan is one of the funniest, most unique and lucky people that has ever walked this Earth. I will miss his presence on this site and in this community.

I recently started to rewatch Metal Gear Scanlon and now I'll certainly keep going.

Best wishes, Dan!

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sodapop7: this was my 666th forum post apparently so that fits.

DocWattson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Not sure if this has been posted but here is a story about his new podcast

https://www.newsweek.com/kofi-kingston-day-feel-power-podcast-interview-contract-extension-retirement-1478277?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

It's with the New Day, or what ever they are called. I'm not a wrestling fan so while I am happy for those that are and will follow him this pretty much is the end for me and Dan... for now at least.

I went from HATING Dan on the West Coast and thinking he is ruining Giant Bomb to being really sad hes leaving the East coast thinking Gisnt Bomb will have a tough time replacing him. Hes grown up a lot these passed few years and become a pleasure to watch and listen too.

I hope Giant Bomb East finds someone with industry experience to hire (maybe another Game Informer staffer that got let go?). I love Abby but I dont know if I could take two, aka 50%, of Gisnt Bomb east beng new to the industry.

On a side note Dan mentioned moving again. I wonder if that means leaving NYC. He seemed to love it here. Would be sad if he goes. I would guess he's moving to Connecticut where the WWE main offices are but I could be completely wrong about that.

It was a good run Dan. You proved me wrong about you. I wish you well and hope you stop by once in awhile.

RockSteady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bye dan and good luck for the future.

StrifeStriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By StrifeStriker

I don't like when there is change on my favorite gaming site 😞 But I wish you the best Dan

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dan's going to produce the New Day's podcast. Austin is going to write the New Day's graphic novel. What is it about the New Day that draws in the Giant Bomb alumni?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots said:
@berfunkle said:

I'm going to miss him, but I wonder who they will choose to replace him. Someone already known to the community or a complete unknown?

The obvious choice of Mike Mahardy can probably be shelved, since he seems to be doing just fine over at Gamespot, so I'd imagine some new face. Whoever it'll be, they definitely can't replace Dan. Not saying that they couldn't be an awesome person, I just don't think there's a single other being out there that could compete with the Forest Gump that Dan was.

true enough- tremendous shoes to fill. it's my sincere hope that they go with a relative unknown- 1) because it's always nice to give the new kid a shot and 2) someone without baggage from another personality-driven site probably has the best shot at integrating into this weird little corner of the internet. not saying it can't happen (dan came from GI after all), but it would be nice to get some new blood in.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This was inevitable, wasn't it? Dan was always going to get to wrestling, and the natural conclusion to all of this will be him usurping Mcmahon at some point.

Best of luck in all future endeavors, duder! Hope to see you back here from time to time.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#72  Edited By berfunkle

As for a replacement, I guess the most obvious choice is a You Tuber. This person after all has to be comfortable in front of a camera, knowledgeable about games and above all, entertaining, but given IGN's bit of trouble last year with a You Tuber, I suspect whoever they choose will need to be vetted thoroughly.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Dooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but.... wrestling is bad?

CupOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess this is the inevitable conclusion of Dan spending 15 years talking about wrestling on video game websites.

I wish him well in all he does.

btsjigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to thank Dan for the countless hours of entertainment & being a go-to source when I need a pick me up. Best wishes in your new adventure, zero doubt that you’re gonna kill it!

fireproofneo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is hitting me way harder than it should. Good Luck Dan! You will be missed!

Unknown450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Unknown450

I tweeted this to Dan(a version of it), but I'll just go ahead and share it here too..

Congratulations Dan! I became a fan & had respect for you ever since your days at Game Informer. I didn't know much about Giant Bomb until I heard you were heading here. Been a premium member ever since. Came to love all the crew here so I won't leave this place but it will be so strange not seeing you around, You'll be missed. Always knew one day you'd end up in WWE in some capacity. You finally got there & I'm super happy for you! Goodluck!

EDIT: At some point Try and convince WWE to work on a decent wrestling game. :P

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Thank you for all the great times and best of luck in all your future endeavours!

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still trying to process all of this, especially considering the shake up at Collider yesterday.

Sad to see Dan go as he was a huge source of entertainment here at Giant Bomb, but man...good for him getting a dream job like this which could and should open up other doors for him once they realize what a talent they have on their hands. Hope he can keep his anxiety under control and maybe transition to some sort of tv role down the line, I mean they hired Sam Roberts for crying out loud, Dan should be a shoe-in for a pre-show spot!

But yeah, bye Dan, gonna miss ya...despite giving you crap occasionally for your opinions on wrestling games, good luck with the new position, and take care!

In regards to the idea of finding a YouTuber to fill the open spot(?), I was gonna suggest someone...then noticed their view count, I just don't know how enticing a position like this would be in comparison if it's someone that's relatively well known on that platform. There's a lot of great talent out there though.

Unknown450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is hitting me way harder than it should. Good Luck Dan! You will be missed!

Yeah last night I was rewatching the Mario Party 11 rounds they did last year when they brought in Drew for the holidays. Not having a clue what would be happening today with Dan leaving and the guys having one last Mario party day.

Crazyness... Sad times.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WWE took the one person on this website who championed Shenmue. I will forever curse/hate the WWE because of this.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dammit. This completely blindsided me. Love ya, Dan! Keep on kicking ass and bending our reality to your will and strange sensibilities.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wishing Dan all the best in the future, thanks for everything you did on the site and the great segments you helped create. You'll be missed!

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You will be sorely missed (he had a genuine enthusiasm that complemented well with Alex dourness), but every change done willingly is a good change, so the best wishes goes to you in your new (probably wrestling related) career.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Loading Video...

Good-bye Dan, have a safe journey through life. Explore the big wonderful world; and keep trying, learning and experiencing it with the same wonder you brought to Giant Bomb.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved Dan. He was always part of, if not the driving force behind my favorite content. Losing him is a major blow to the site.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally agree with the "Dan Rykert" era being a thing and I will look back on it fondly, but nowhere near as fondly as the "Dan Rykert/Austin Walker/Drew Scanlon era of 2015/16." Regardless, this news is as exciting as it is sad and I wish Dan luck. Actually no. Dan is already the luckiest motherfucker that ever lived. I wish him...less anxiety (and maybe less drinking).

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ktipcorn: @sa_drone: As much as politicians would have you believe the other guy running for president would be the downfall of western civilization...with a president Dirty Dan, they’d probably be right for once.

iammattz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congratulations Dan and all the best! You will be sorely missed, and I can't help but think my chances of getting an aneurysm from listening to the beastcast in the future have gone way down... 🙃

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can Dan get a slappers-only rematch before the end of his final stream?

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bittersweet news about Dan, but I'm happy for him.

However this leaves an open spot at GBeast and I would LOVE if they were able to hire Natalie Watson (formerly from Waypoint) into that role. She has video producer experience, is a great personality with a new perspective, has the wonderful exuberance that Dan brought, and is currently looking for work. It would be amazing to have her interact with the East crew.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm someone that hates change, but the older I've gotten the more I've come to accept it as an inevitability. As I've been swept up with life I haven't had as much time to watch all of the site's video content, but the Beastcast has always been highlight of my Friday, in no small part to Dan. Thanks for all the hours of entertainment. Going to miss all your goofy as hell stories.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, Daniel! :( It's awesome that you're going to finally going to be working in your dream field, but still a sad day for GB. You'll be missed, duder!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the best to him. When he came here he didn't know what a pirate was. Now he's enriched.

Morka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Did he ever eat that hat?

mike28212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best of luck Dan. Hope all goes well with WWE.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Bittersweet news about Dan, but I'm happy for him.

However this leaves an open spot at GBeast and I would LOVE if they were able to hire Natalie Watson (formerly from Waypoint) into that role. She has video producer experience, is a great personality with a new perspective, has the wonderful exuberance that Dan brought, and is currently looking for work. It would be amazing to have her interact with the East crew.

That would be incredible, though I don't think she alone could fill the void.

hughj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the bright side, maybe this will free up Dan to do independent streaming. As great as Dan was on the East coast, I feel like their production resources really didn't leverage him anywhere near as well as it ought to have -- he seemed to be far more active on the West coast in terms of features he spearheaded as well as just the raw number of on-air hours per week.