• 80 results
mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144

So when I first read about the changes being made to Ninja Gaiden 3 my initial reaction was that the game would probably be bad. They were taking away the complexity of the combat, the difficulty, and some of the upgrades in favor of a dumbed down game to appeal more to the masses. Well as we all know the game that came out was just a bad game that neither old fans or potential new fans would like.

This got me thinking, what games did you know would be bad just by reading/watching some of the coverage of it?

Before you name the game please limit it to games that are actually bad and not games you dislike. Every time I see GTA, MGS4, Mass Effect 2, to name a few, listed as bad games I just want to strangle that person. JUST BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S BAD.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By theodacourt

I guess Duke Nukem Forever is a safe bet.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jking47

Mass effect 2, GTA, and MGS4 to name a few

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheHumanDove

@jking47 said:

Mass effect 2, GTA, and MGS4 to name a few

he troll!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By crusader8463

Dragon Age 2. My love of Origins let me hold out hope until I got it in my hands, but from the first time I saw how they butchered that games combat and skill tree I knew it was going to be terrible beyond belief. Sadly I was correct.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That game that Jeff gave a negative score. The one that takes place on a floating man-made arch with two factions fighting eachother on multiplayer maps. The one with the parcour.

Damn, I've actually forgotten its name, but that looked like shit to me from the start.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pyrodactyl

@S0ndor said:

That game that Jeff gave a negative score. The one that takes place on a floating man-made arch with two factions fighting eachother on multiplayer maps. The one with the parcour.

Damn, I've actually forgotten its name, but that looked like shit to me from the start.

Brink

Amtiskaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Amtiskaw

Command & Conquer 4, Dragon Age 2 and probably a few others I can't remember.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By BlastProcessing

Mass Effect 3

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl said:

@S0ndor said:

Brink

Yes, thank you. Shows just how forgettable it was for me, I guess.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By matthias2437

Brink. I had high hopes for that game at first but the second game-play started being released and they delayed it I knew it was going to fail.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Basically any game that has went from pc focused to console lead focus.

Fear 2. Dragon Age 2. Crysis 2. Bioshock. Syndicate. Whenever a game I like (pc game) becames console focused, I avoid it like the plague. At best it's a steam sale.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread topic is inherently subjective.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikeGosot
@mikey87144 said:
Before you name the game please limit it to games that are actually bad and not games you dislike. Every time I see GTA, MGS4, Mass Effect 2, to name a few, listed as bad games I just want to strangle that person. JUST BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S BAD.
But wait... If i don't like a game... It means it's bad. For me.
seannao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By seannao

Brink.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By Justin258

@mikey87144 said:

JUST BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S BAD.

Actually...

There's no such thing as an objectively good game because what I enjoy might not be what you enjoy. You can argue all day long about why such and such is a great game in your eyes, but it doesn't mean that I'm going to give a fuck.

I don't have an on topic answer.

EDIT: I have given a response to the "but some games really are objectively good" argument. It is on the second page. I have yet to see anyone refute me there - if you wish to further argue this point, read that first and quote it.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By amir90

Idk, rouge warrior?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

Fear 2. Dragon Age 2. Crysis 2. Bioshock. Syndicate.

Pretty much. A game gets downgraded from the control schemes and infinite resources of the PC to the gamepad and limited resources of a console, except it to suck pretty hard. 
mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mikey87144

@believer258 said:

@mikey87144 said:

Actually...

There's no such thing as an objectively good game because what I enjoy might not be what you enjoy. You can argue all day long about why such and such is a great game in your eyes, but it doesn't mean that I'm going to give a fuck.

You can enjoy something that's bad. Think about all the bad movies you've probably seen. Also even if there is a lot of subjectivity to whether you like something or not you can still come to a reasonable conclusion of whether it's actually good or bad. One of my favorite movies of all time is Texas Chain Saw Massacre New Beginnings. It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen yet I own it on VHS and DVD.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SSully

Fear 2. Dragon Age 2. Crysis 2. Bioshock. Syndicate. Whenever a game I like (pc game) becames console focused, I avoid it like the plague. At best it's a steam sale.

Hey.... I really liked FEAR 2 on PC. It was FAR from being as good as the original, but it was a very good shooter.

I would have to say Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. I didn't play it, but it is getting horrible reviews. I called that shit the moment I saw Slant Six was behind it. It's to bad too, that game could of been neat.

fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fourby

Mario Party 9.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@pyrodactyl said:

@S0ndor said:

Brink

That. I remember being so perplexed at why people were excited for that game.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By dietmango

Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Well, the dialogue/voice acting and characters anyway. Gameplay is fine as it is. So it's not really bad, just mediocre in my eyes.

Also:

@Centimani said:

Mario Party 9.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By tourgen

Dragon Age 2, but only after I played the demo

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Phatmac

Postal 3.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Justin258

@mikey87144 said:

@believer258 said:

@mikey87144 said:

Actually...

You can enjoy something that's bad. Think about all the bad movies you've probably seen. Also even if there is a lot of subjectivity to whether you like something or not you can still come to a reasonable conclusion of whether it's actually good or bad. One of my favorite movies of all time is Texas Chain Saw Massacre New Beginnings. It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen yet I own it on VHS and DVD.

You're talking about from a critical perspective. Yeah, I guess there's a middle ground here, but it's quite a broad middle ground. I could say that Far Cry 2 sucks but many people would disagree with me. In fact, the middle ground is so broad as to be almost irrelevant, except in very obvious cases like yours. And even then, how do you objectively prove what's good and what isn't? How could you objectively prove that Skyrim is a good game when it's got so many bugs, the game is really easy to break as far as difficulty goes, the combat consists of mashing the left and right triggers to flail a sword around or throw some spells, etc.? I love Skyrim but I wouldn't ever say it's objectively good because something can't be totally objectively good. Even Portal 2 has the complaint that it's short and there's no replay value, and your Texas Chainsaw movie could be said to have a redeeming value in how bad it is.

Thereare evena number ofdifferent tropes for this.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By HadesTimes

Well I will be playing Ninja Gaiden 3 and Operation Raccoon City this week, and I know they will be bad.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sanryd

@believer258 said:

@mikey87144 said:

@believer258 said:

@mikey87144 said:

Actually...

You're talking about from a critical perspective. Yeah, I guess there's a middle ground here, but it's quite a broad middle ground. I could say that Far Cry 2 sucks but many people would disagree with me. In fact, the middle ground is so broad as to be almost irrelevant, except in very obvious cases like yours. And even then, how do you objectively prove what's good and what isn't? How could you objectively prove that Skyrim is a good game when it's got so many bugs, the game is really easy to break as far as difficulty goes, the combat consists of mashing the left and right triggers to flail a sword around or throw some spells, etc.? I love Skyrim but I wouldn't ever say it's objectively good because something can't be totally objectively good. Even Portal 2 has the complaint that it's short and there's no replay value, and your Texas Chainsaw movie could be said to have a redeeming value in how bad it is.

Basically, this. All someone would have to do is answer Deadly Premonition and the whole thing would blow the fuck up. A divisive game if I've ever seen one, regardless of it's popularity here on GB because of the ERs.

Duder_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Duder_Me

Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One

Need For Speed: The Run

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 :P

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By VierasTalo

@mikey87144 said:

One of my favorite movies of all time is Texas Chain Saw Massacre New Beginnings. It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen yet I own it on VHS and DVD.

Dude, you don't even know the name of one of your all time favourite films? Lame. Kudos for liking that one though, an alien-Matthew McConaughey hanging around with a transvestite Leatherface is fokin' money.

On topic, I'd say Metroid: Other M. I knew from the first cutscene I saw online that they were taking this down the entirely wrong path.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jasta

Condemned 2, still I went there anyway.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By Sooperspy

RE: Operation Raccoon City.

Avatar image for favoritobandito
FavoritoBandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FavoritoBandito

Brink, I had a lot of friends that were pumped for the game but it seemed like a likely flop to me throughout the design cycle. When it came out my friends felt so bad with their purchase they all traded it in within the first week.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By Humanity

@Jasta said:

Condemned 2, still I went there anyway.

You take that back - that was an awesome game that goes batshit crazy in the end. Nothing wrong there. You fight a crazy super-grizzly.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mandude

Dragon Age 2

Which I bought it anyway. :(

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TentPole

Should I be ashamed for liking Ninja Gaiden 3 as much as 2?

mynthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mynthon

SWTOR

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Vexxan

Duke Nukem's a safe bet...Need for Speed: The Run seemed pretty bad right off the bat as well.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mazik765

@believer258 said:

@mikey87144 said:

Actually...

True, but I think you could make an argument that there are objectively well done qualities in a game. I think there is a certain degree of objectivity at the foundation of what makes a game fun or not, and even though you might not like a game doesn't necessarily mean it's bad on those objective grounds. I hated FFXIII subjectively, but objectively is was a very well put together game that just wasn't for me. Similarly, there used to be a guy on these boards who swore that Dragon Age 2 was the worst game ever made. Now I know a lot of people didn't like Dragon Age 2, or were disappointed by it (hell, I was), but I think most sane people can objectively agree that it is not the worst game ever made. Or maybe I'll get flamed for that and your point will be proven...who knows?

As to the topic, I usually try not to look down on game too much until I play them, but NeverDead always looked pretty rough to me.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StrikeALight

RE: Operation Raccoon City, based on the history of the developer.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Jeust
  • Force Unleashed 2
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Silent Hill Homecomming
  • the xbl and psn version of Castlevania
Bleeble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bleeble

Do you mean a game that you knew was going to be bad and purchased? or a game you just knew was going to be bad? I could compile a very long list of the latter.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Justin258

@mazik765 said:

@believer258 said:

@mikey87144 said:

Actually...

True, but I think you could make an argument that there are objectively well done qualities in a game. I think there is a certain degree of objectivity at the foundation of what makes a game fun or not, and even though you might not like a game doesn't necessarily mean it's bad on those objective grounds. I hated FFXIII subjectively, but objectively is was a very well put together game that just wasn't for me. Similarly, there used to be a guy on these boards who swore that Dragon Age 2 was the worst game ever made. Now I know a lot of people didn't like Dragon Age 2, or were disappointed by it (hell, I was), but I think most sane people can objectively agree that it is not the worst game ever made. Or maybe I'll get flamed for that and your point will be proven...who knows?

As to the topic, I usually try not to look down on game too much until I play them, but NeverDead always looked pretty rough to me.

I've already seen this argument and already written my own response to it, quoted below:

@believer258 said:

@mikey87144 said:

@believer258 said:

@mikey87144 said:

Actually...

rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By rm082e
  • Ninja Gaiden 3 - For obvious reasons
  • Hunted: The Demon's Forge - Because it sounded like a cool concept, but no one was talking about it
  • Crysis 2 - Because the writer was ragging on Halo and boasting about how Crysis 2 would blow it away
  • Brutal Legend - Because they kept the RTS shit a secret until 2 months before release
  • Fable 3 - Because Fable 2 was terrible and things only get worse after the sequel
  • Final Fantasy 13 & 13-2 - I still had a sliver of hope for 13, but I knew in my heart they would fumble and fuck it up
Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Vorbis

Can't say I have ever thought that, doubts yes, "knew", no. I have always given games a chance rather than judging them based on speculation, there's always a chance it could be a hidden gem.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By donkeycow

When my friend told me "Hey check out this new game i'm renting... it's called Viking, it's really cool!" i knew right off that bat it was gonna be a terrible game... and i was right! Also when this same friend said "Hey, check out this new game i'm renting.... it's called Sacred 2 and is JUST LIKE DRAGON AGE" i had a feeling this was going to be a special kind of bad. We booted it up and even the intro cinematic made me cringe like there was no tomorrow.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By valiantgrizzly

Fear 2. Crysis 2. Bioshock. Syndicate. Whenever a game I like (pc game) becames console focused, I avoid it like the plague. At best it's a steam sale.

Stop it. As OP said, you not liking something does not mean it is bad. It's a sure-fire way to sound like an asshole, though.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Donkeycow said:

When my friend told me "Hey check out this new game i'm renting... it's called Viking, it's really cool!" i knew right off that bat it was gonna be a terrible game... and i was right!

I actually think Viking was very underrated *shrug*. Actually a good modern take on the beat em up, which no one really tries to do well. (if they do, it's more of just a bad God of War). Also, it has fucking vikings, so that's only a good thing.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By donkeycow

@Stephen_Von_Cloud: I'll admit the combat felt alright but became quickly repetitive after 10 minutes or so. Everything else about it in my opinion was just off putting and bad.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By renmckormack