Giant Bomb is part of Reddit gold?!

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@purplespandex: Well for new people joining the thread I don't think you 'got out ahead of it' quite so amicably.

@development: Hey, I don't like the idea of GB offering a discount to new users from another community whilst ignoring their pre existing user base by postponing past regular premium discount offers of years gone by, that must make me 'fucking ridiculous.' I'm all for GB trying to garner new users into the fold from other communities, the more the merrier, but not at the expense of sidestepping the users they already have.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: Hey, I don't like the idea of GB offering a discount to new users from another community whilst ignoring their pre existing user base by postponing past regular premium discount offers of years gone by, that must make me 'fucking ridiculous.' I'm all for GB trying to garner new users into the fold from other communities, the more the merrier, but not at the expense of sidestepping the users they already have.

Do you not understand how advertising works? They bring in new people on the cheap so they can hopefully get some people who like GB enough to keep re-subbing after the first 2 months. I find it hard to believe you don't understand this, so I'll assume you're playing dumb trying to win an argument. It has nothing to do with "ignoring their preexisting user-base." Like it or not, you people have to realize GB needs to make money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need video game journalism for people that hate video games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I need video game journalism for people that hate video games.

If you like smug people who seemingly hate all video games despite writing about them as a career, check out some of the links that Patrick puts up on any given Worth Reading. I'm only half joking.

I'd say something mean about Reddit, but I don't think the toxic elements of that community could last here very long anyways, cheap subscription or no.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By FreakAche

I think the people in this thread who are dismissive of the Reddit community probably don't realize that there's already a reasonable amount of crossover between the Reddit and Giant Bomb communities. I mean, Giant Bomb videos and sometimes even articles get posted to /r/Games basically daily.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By RazielCuts

@razielcuts said:

Do you not understand how advertising works? They bring in new people on the cheap so they can hopefully get some people who like GB enough to keep re-subbing after the first 2 months. I find it hard to believe you don't understand this, so I'll assume you're playing dumb trying to win an argument. It has nothing to do with "ignoring their preexisting user-base." Like it or not, you people have to realize GB needs to make money.

'You guys' this and 'you people' that, please, tell me, who is 'us' people? I'd love to know. As per my last two posts, I'm all for GB getting new followers. New followers equals the site growing equals a better site, right? It's a win/win for all. Why would I be against that? What I'm saying is in the past there has been these special offers of premium memberships at a discounted rate during Thanksgiving or Christmas (which has always worked perfect for me as I can never use the store coupon anyway as I'm in Euroland). But now they've chose to forego that to go after another ambiguous audience? Do this and do that. Why not both? I don't want to have to sub to reddit gold to get that offer. Quite frankly reddit is a circle jerk, majority rule, cesspool. I'd rather not deal with that to sub to GB at a lower price.

PurpleSpandex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@razielcuts: From what I can tell, you seem upset you aren't getting a discount. SOLUTION: Get a reddit account, send reddit a postcard and get gold. For the cost of a stamp you can get two months of giantbomb and then a discount.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: Just want to say thanks for that explanation. I feel like I understand it, now!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@development said:

@razielcuts said:

'You guys' this and 'you people' that, please, tell me, who is 'us' people? I'd love to know. As per my last two posts, I'm all for GB getting new followers. New followers equals the site growing equals a better site, right? It's a win/win for all. Why would I be against that? What I'm saying is in the past there has been these special offers of premium memberships at a discounted rate during Thanksgiving or Christmas (which has always worked perfect for me as I can never use the store coupon anyway as I'm in Euroland). But now they've chose to forego that to go after another ambiguous audience? Do this and do that. Why not both? I don't want to have to sub to reddit gold to get that offer. Quite frankly reddit is a circle jerk, majority rule, cesspool. I'd rather not deal with that to sub to GB at a lower price.

A new sale may be happening sooner than you think.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By RazielCuts

@purplespandex said:

@razielcuts: From what I can tell, you seem upset you aren't getting a discount. SOLUTION: Get a reddit account, send reddit a postcard and get gold. For the cost of a stamp you can get two months of giantbomb and then a discount.

It's obvious that two people here are reddit users. You and @development, can't you comprehend that maybe people don't want to have anything to do with reddit, let alone get a gold sub? I'm not even 'upset' for myself, I'm just a bit miffed they'd forgo the annual discount they've been doing for years to this promotion in place of.

Okay *edit* was playing online between posting this, just saw @rorie's post, good to hear hopefully, I'd love to hear the thanksgiving turkey music again :D

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By audiosnow

@purplespandex: When people give up a bad habit something has to fill the void: taking up jogging after quitting smoking, for example. Now, when people stop using Reddit, they have something better on which to spend their extra time.

(Just so you know there's no beef, I disliked Reddit long before I heard about Giant Bomb.)

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

We've been working on this for a while - in the end it's mostly intended to try and drive some new people to the site and premium. Let me know if you have any questions!

noooo dont ruin this website by dragging those reddit people over here. They universally suck and destroy everything they touch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is dildos. This part is just made to start arguments. 'people that visit certain sites arent liked by other people' no duh. People like to knee jerk.

All you duders, saying things like "reddit people" or "oh no the reddits" Reddit has millions of unique users pretending they are all bad is ignorant and makes you look less than smart.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never been to Reddit nor do I really understand what it is, but I don't see how this is anything but a positive. Getting bigger is the only thing that'll convince CBSi to fund bigger, dumber shit. At worst, this will create more work for mods, but that's the price of expansion no matter where they advertise.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#68  Edited By Devil240Z

fuck reddit, every time I go there I just get confused and angry. horrible interface, not to mention some unsavory content.

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By EthanML

Your edited OP does nothing but make you come across as being a preachy dickhead without any reason or provocation. Just a heads up.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tourgen said:

@peasantabuse said:

Prepare for an influx of men's rights activists and fedora-atheists.

why stop ranting there? what other groups don't you like? black people, mexicans, protestants? Keep your bigotry rolling man.

hahahahahahahahahaha

this is rich

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

today I learned that this community is full of people I don't like and that makes me sad.

Yeah, like all of those guys from Reddit!

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: there's an undeniable overarching vibe to that site that I just can't get behind. I realize its not all like that, but when I look at the 'front page' or popular corners of that site, its almost all bullshit

There's actually been some minor studies done into why a lot of the good stuff of reddit is behind the smaller subreddits. It basically amounts to the fact that the way reddit's logarithm works means that how quickly the votes come in is everything, and the first 10 votes matter as much as the first 100, which matter as much as the 1000, etc. Because of this, stuff that people can quickly cast judgement on, like a meme or 'funny' picture, and give an up/downvote just as quickly gets pushed to the front page way faster, than say a long, well-researched article that cannot be summarised in a single headline. This is especially true if the content is submitted into one of the 'default' subreddits, which is a subreddit that everyone is automatically subscribed to when they make an account (they can unsubscribe), or what a user that is not logged in sees on the front page.

Anyway, that's my dumb little spiel over, this is a genius marketing move in my opinion. Good job, Rorie! (I think?)

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By development

@razielcuts said:

You're talking about these things like there's some rule that says when one happens another is supposed to happen at the exact same time. Each case has its own set of factors. Rorie eased your worries already, so I'll leave it there.

Quite frankly reddit is a circle jerk, majority rule, cesspool. I'd rather not deal with that to sub to GB at a lower price.

Eugh. This is what I mean when I say "you people." You people who say things like this, therefore giving away that you have no idea what reddit actually is and haven't even taken the time to browse subreddits other than the handful of awful ones on the front page. Reddit isn't the front page. Reddit is thousands of sub-reddits that you choose to attach to your own customized front page, with many smaller subreddits having a very intelligent and well-mannered userbase. Downvotes merely keep the bigots and outright stupid comments at the bottom and hidden, although there's still a good chance the top comment or the 2nd-to-top comment is a joke comment, but you minimize that one and move on.

@razielcuts said:

It's obvious that two people here are reddit users. You and @development,

Uhhh... then go read the thread again. There's a good five+ before you made that comment.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Close this stupid thread already.

Just internet bickering about whether or not Reddit is a decent site.

Ah, fuck it, I'll add fuel to the fire! NeoGAF is a more useful site than Reddit when it comes to video game news, just stick to posting pictures of cute animals, memes and AMA's!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By mike

I'm sending this topic to bed without dinner. Nothing worth salvaging here, you guys really disappoint me sometimes.