Gigantic game announcement coming on August 14th. Speculate!

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By avidwriter

Oh I'm sure it'll be something huge. *sarcasm* Come on, are any of these "huge" reveals usually that huge? It's going to be something everyone figured or was rumored already. I highly doubt it'll be something no one was expecting.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#152  Edited By Trilogy

@mcderby4 said:

@Trilogy: I honestly thought San Andreas was one of the lesser GTA titles. I actually preferred the more realistic approach that GTA IV took.

Yea, most people usually sit on either side on the fence on that one. I love em both for different reasons. It's kind of hard for me to pick a favorite.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By RedRoach

@Christoffer said:

Titan or Half-Life 3 sounds like the best guesses so far.

I don't think they put any blood into the issue, that is clearly an exaggeration, else I'm kind of impressed.

No way. Both Valve and Blizzard are too big for magazines. Blizzard has it's own damn convention. They don't need someone else (magazine, website, or even e3) to promote their new game because they can do it themselves.

I'm sad that Mirrors Edge is too small to be this.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#154  Edited By jakob187

Honestly, there's a lot of evidence that can lean in multiple ways here...

THE ILLOGICAL ONES

The Grand Theft Auto V Theory

The Half-Life 3 Theory

The Bungie "Destiny" Theory

• No. Activision and Bungie both basically said that it'll be another year before they have any information to give out on that. I would even doubt that Activision will release that game on current consoles.

THE LOGICAL ONES

The Respawn Entertainment Theory

• Respawn recently came out with their announcement for support on the Ouya, which means that they are ready to start talking about their new IP. Moreover, EA recently in their press release for the lineup at Gamescom 2012 pointed out "new content", then went on to point out that there will be at least three new games announced at Gamescom. To think that the Respawn game isn't one of them seems to be a little bonkers, especially if there is a chance of Respawn stealing some thunder from Black Ops II multiplayer that is being showed off for the first time. We know how EA and Activision are with this vendetta and such... HOWEVER, back in July, Zampella tweeted that they had no plans to be at Gamescom "so far". There could've been a change of heart on that.

The Black Ops II Multiplayer/Black Ops Declassified Theory

• We know that Activision is going to be at Gamescom, and they have already said they will be offering the first hands-on with Black Ops II multiplayer. At the same time, they've also got the first details of Black Ops Declassified coming out for Vita as well. This is something that no one has any idea about as far as I know, so it seems logical as well (but far less exciting).

THE MOST LOGICAL OF THEM ALL

The Sony Theory

• The Game Informer piece points out that it's a worldwide reveal at 4pm on August 14th. This coincides precisely with Sony's press conference. Sony has announced they will be showing off two new unannounced games at Gamescom as well, and trademarks were registered for "Rain" and "Until Dawn". It is known that one of the games to be announced is from Sony's Japan Studio, while the other is a Move game. Until Dawn is a trademark they previously had registered for a Move horror game. Rain is wholly new...and Sony went on record to say that they "will be revealing the future of PlayStation". With "Rain" being an unknown game (as the trademark is for computer software/game software), it's easy to believe that it's a next-gen game that will be shown off during their press conference.

The only other real options outside of this: Capcom, who is also announcing new games...or maybe something from Ubisoft.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Trilogy

@Ares42 said:

@Trilogy: Although I bet you wanted an answer from the guy you replied to, I think it's fair to say that games like Arkham City, Red Dead Redemption and I would personally say SR3 and Just Cause 2 all blew GTA4 out of the water as far as being open-world games (that's not to include RPGs as they are somewhat of a different beast). They all embrace the strength of open-world in way better ways than GTA4 did. I would even go as far as saying GTA4 didn't even need to be open-world. With what they were trying to do with it it would've probably been better if they just went straight up shooter, both for gameplay and story.

I love all of those games. Not to sound like a noncommittal person that loves everything (I'm definitely not) but open world games are my favorite genre. That and rpgs. You mentioned rpgs being a different beast but I think it's fair to point out that Skyrim was an excellent example of what open world games should strive for in terms the scope and freedom of the world. One of my biggest pet peeves in games is hand holding so I always appreciate an open experience. That's not to say that it's always appropriate. You mentioned GTA4 shouldn't have been an open world game but I think Arkham City was a better example of a game that didn't need to be open world. A lot of people preferred the Arkham Asylum because of that and I kind of see where they're coming from although I think they could of made the open world elements of Arkham City more meaningful.

I've got nothing but love for Red Dead. It was my GOTY for 2010 and that was a tight year with ME2 and SC2. It's probably the only game you mentioned that I would agree on with being better than GTA4. I wouldn't use the term blow out of the water but that just my opinion.

I got a ton of enjoyment out of Just Cause 2 but it wasn't the full package for me. There were far too many issues with that game to even rival the GTA games or any game that you mentioned in your post. It had repetitious mission design, horrendous voice acting and story (I had to mute the voice work on my second playthrough), horrible vehicle controls (I can forgive that because who the fuck actually drives in that game anyway), and a painfully broken and annoying wanted system. Holy shit did I ever despise the wanted system in Just Cause 2. It escalates far too easily and takes too long to deteriorate because the helicopters always have you in line of sight. Why in the hell wasn't there an option to turn off the police after you completed the game. I remember one instance where I got a full wanted level for not doing anything at all. Its the only thing that kept me from going for 100% in that game. The health system was also poorly designed. Why don't you have fully recharging heath? There's no cover in the game so you're often times taking a lot of damage. This leads to the player to stop what they're doing and start searching for a health kit. Just a pain in the ass. Even through it's flaws, I still really liked Just cause 2. I wouldn't have played it twice if I didn't. The ludicrously fun and rewarding grapple/ parachute system is just plain brilliant. It gives you ultimate freedom to explore a damn fine looking world and its a varied one at that. Just Cause 2 is just a seriously fun sandbox. I just wish the outer edges were better polished.

Like I told somebody else who quoted me, I love the saints row games. SR3 was about as fun as open world games can get. They really let loose and unleashed the player to have as much fun as possible while being as over powered as possible and I really appreciate that. Most game developers are too scared to let players being over powered but Volition said, "fuck it" and let us obtain god like status when leveled up. That coupled with the bat shit crazy and hilarious story makes it easy to see why so many people really love that game. I'm right there with you guys. Saints row just doesn't cover all the bases for me personally. And like I told the other guy, it doesn't need to. I don't want Saints row to be serious and I can't wait to see what they do with SR4. I'll put it to you like this... Saints row is like a really fun one night stand. GTA 4 is like along term relationship. The GTA games just resonate with me more and longer than most games do.

Sorry that was so fucking long. What was this thread about again. =P

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#156  Edited By BeachThunder

I think that new leaked Prince of Persia game makes the most sense.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#157  Edited By Deranged

@Trilogy said:

@mcderby4 said:

@Trilogy: I honestly thought San Andreas was one of the lesser GTA titles. I actually preferred the more realistic approach that GTA IV took.

Yea, most people usually sit on either side on the fence on that one. I love em both for different reasons. It's kind of hard for me to pick a favorite.

To this day, I think Vice City had the best city and gameplay but GTA IV had the best story and characters.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#158  Edited By Dalai

They already announced SimCity months ago so in my opinion, nothing can be more gigantic than that.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Trilogy: You're a bastard. How dare you like multiple games in a single genre! On a forum even! Don't you know what the internet is for?

Tolshakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#160  Edited By Tolshakk

Gex 4

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Zella

@BeachThunder said:

I think that new leaked Prince of Persia game makes the most sense.

Now that you say it, yeah it totally does.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By MikeGosot

DooM 4.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#163  Edited By jakob187

@Tolshakk said:

Gex 4

I could only hope and pray...

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Trilogy

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Trilogy: You're a bastard. How dare you like multiple games in a single genre! On a forum even! Don't you know what the internet is for?

FUCK, SORRY! I HATE EVERYTHING. FUCK EVERYBODY. VIDEO GAMES ARE THE WORST! ... RABBLE ROUSER, RABBLE ROUSER!!

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By andrew2696

@thebipsnbeeps: I don't think GameInformer would do a cover story on a indie game. Besides people know what his next game is, The Witness.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#166  Edited By ShadowKnight508

GTA5 is my guess for now (fingers crossed for Source Engine 2 and Half-Life 3)

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By inkerman

Probably Titan, if it was Half Life related I would have expected a crazy alternate reality game being underway by now. GTA V has kind of already been announced, I don't see why they wouldn't let a cover be released.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By handlas

Boogerman 2

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#169  Edited By Raven10

@AhmadMetallic said:

The COD popularity is about COD, not the people who made COD. Which is why the Respawn Entertainment shindig is not significant because==> The significance of COD or anything COD related is its insane popularity and sales. The Respawn dudes can no longer make COD games, which means the element of insane popularity is gone. And when it's gone, all Respawn is is another shooter developer.

Just because Call of Duty has become a pillar for uncreative boring repetition doesn't mean the series wasn't pretty revolutionary to start. It popularized the iron sights mechanic that is used in almost every shooter today. It redefined WW2 shooters when everyone was tired of them. In Call of Duty 4 they popularized and helped solidify the idea of persistent player progression in multiplayer and became one of the first console shooters to achieve above 50 fps at almost all times. Since 4 it hasn't really reinvented the wheel but in its early days Call of Duty was a pretty trend setting game.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Perhaps it's the next xbox or playstation. I hope it's Half Life 3 though.

MrXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#171  Edited By MrXD

I bet anything that the cover will be leak out.

Mixwizzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Mixwizzard

Im hoping for some GTA V. One of the old marketing sites for San Andreas from 2004 got updated with a link to a twitter page, so heres hoping.

Otherwise it'll be some lame-ass generic shooter.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By RedRoach

Why does everyone keep saying titan? Blizzard doesn't need a magazine to promote a new MMO from fucking blizzard. They don't even attend E3 cause they're just that big. The only place see Titan being announced is at Blizzcon or maybe e3.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'As of right now the cover must remain a secret." It actually means. "Share this facebook post, speculating what the new game informer edition will be about, then profit."

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By RedRoach

@ShaggE said:

Big Rigs HD remake for iOS.

hahaha, truly the next step for the series, digital game pads.

And here I thought it couldn't get more broken.

Lokar36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Lokar36

I get the digital version of GI. The cover story for September is Army of Two: The Devils Cartel September Cover Story Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel We've got a world-exclusive first look at the latest game in EA's Army of Two series, as well as a bonanza of special co-op-themed coverage including the top 30 co-op games of all time and a look at future co-op titles. Pretty much the worst possible thing it could have been:(

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MikeGosot said:

DooM 4.

It's been confirmed already at the latest Quakecon, and the 'leaked' photos didn't generate much hype at all last year, so I'm thinking Id is going to do a slow news stream seeming no one is really desperate for details.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boogerman reboot.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#179  Edited By nightriff

Eternal Darkness 2...Eternal Darkness 2....

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RedRoach said:

@ShaggE said:

Big Rigs HD remake for iOS.

hahaha, truly the next step for the series, digital game pads.

And here I thought it couldn't get more broken.

I wept just thinking about it.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#181  Edited By ch3burashka

Persona 5.

Duh.

Lokar36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Lokar36

Guys, I'm serious. It's army of two 3. Could not be more disappointed. I got the digital version of next months GI on Tuesday.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#183  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I'll say Half Life 3. If that's what it is, the amount of shit ton hype this will create will destroy the entire universe!

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#184  Edited By TJ311

I have the latest version of Gi right in front of me and it's Army of Two: The Devils Cartel, part of the "Co-Op Issue"

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#185  Edited By Phatmac

A new game from Sony Japan which will hint the PS4.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By TruthTellah

A launch title for the XBOX 365.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By FengShuiGod
Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, it's going to be Army of Two.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By FengShuiGod

@GnomeonFire said:

Yup, it's going to be Army of Two.

Nope. Look at the OP. That's Game Informer AU. The Army of Two cover is already known and is coming out of Game Informer US.

Lokar36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Lokar36

Ok, if that's the case we need to decide what kind of major announcement would be made in an Austrailia only GI. I can't see any of these major games being announced in such an odd way. And MS and Sony? No way Jose. Not buyin it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Army of Two, Australian edited version. With ponies and rainbows.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By FengShuiGod

@Lokar36 said:

Ok, if that's the case we need to decide what kind of major announcement would be made in an Austrailia only GI. I can't see any of these major games being announced in such an odd way. And MS and Sony? No way Jose. Not buyin it.

Exactly. It seems kinda weird that huge games would be announced via GI AU. Although Valve does make plenty of jokes about Australia......

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Deusx

@GunslingerPanda said:

No Caption Provided

There is only one game that can get away with this shit.

It is finally happening.

Half-Life 3.

That´s not going to happen. They can´t release 3 games at the same time. Dota 2 and Counter Strike are getting out of "beta" soon.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Gruff182

EA probably thought that the new Army of Two was a huge game reveal.

So were here wanting to hear MGS5 or HL3, but it'll end up being something we already know or or something like 'hey guys, a new red steel!'

No ta.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deusx said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

No Caption Provided

There is only one game that can get away with this shit.

It is finally happening.

Half-Life 3.

That´s not going to happen. They can´t release 3 games at the same time. Dota 2 and Counter Strike are getting out of "beta" soon.

Unless...this is the only way for Valve to beat the curse of 3.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#196  Edited By AngelN7

Don't flatter yourselves obviously is Valkyria Chronicles 2! (yes I'm skipping the other 2 and going backwards).

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#197  Edited By BeachThunder

@GnomeonFire said:

Army of Two, Australian edited version. With ponies and rainbows.

Sounds better than the actual Army of Two...

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#198  Edited By willin

Guys.

Army of Three.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick, what games have anything to do with Australia. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger FPS Reboot? ...DiRT 4? 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the new Xbox.

But I hope it's Half Life 3.