Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

Duh, he's Link!
 Duh, he's Link!
If you didn't notice the first installment of our Zelda trivia challenge earlier this week (still three chances to win!), you might not remember that there's a new Zelda game due out on the DS real soon now. It's Spirit Tracks, the direct successor to Phantom Hourglass, and hey, I just played it!

This new game directly follows the previous one. It's a hundred years later, and a new kingdom of Hyrule has been founded on the continent that the protagonists of Phantom Hourglass discovered sometime between that game and this one. Wait a minute, that would make Link and Zelda more than a century old, and--hmm, are we just assuming they're immortal at this point? Is there any sort of rationale at work in this timeline anymore?

You know, who cares? It's a Zelda game. The indigenous people of this new land tell of an ancient, legendary battle between the good spirits and the forces of the Demon King Maladus, whose soul was finally imprisoned in a centralized Tower of Spirits. Maladus is down but not completely out; the ethereal shackles that bind him are in fact stretched far and wide across the new land of Hyrule.

And those bonds just happen to be... train tracks! Convenient, since a train replaces Phantom Hourglass' ship as your primary mode of transportation in Spirit Tracks. The game opens with Link training to become an engineer, during which time he realizes that these train tracks are beginning to disappear. There's also a shady chancellor named Cole involved who may in fact be trying to revive Maladus (there's always one bad apple in these games), so Link starts to explore the land to find out what's going on.

You'll be choo-chooing back here often.     
It looks like Spirit Tracks will use a similar framework to Phantom Hourglass, which had a central, recurring dungeon that you explored more and more of as you solved other, standalone dungeons and picked up new items and abilities. The recurring dungeon in this game is the Tower of Spirits itself. Every floor of the tower that you clear will yield a tablet that opens up a new set of tracks, which will lead you to a new area of Hyrule. You'll find a new dungeon in that area, and defeating it will arm you with a new item and send energy back up the newly laid tracks, which then opens up the next level of the tower, and... you probably see how this works.

I got to mess around a bit in the second dungeon of the game, which was--brace yourself--the Snow Temple! Yes, themed dungeons are back. I had an item here that let me unleash a targeted whirlwind that could stun enemies, flip some switches, and even propel me around when I was floating around on a block in pools of water. You'll play through these dungeons solo, but you'll be joined by a controllable phantom when you're playing the Tower of Spirits levels. (I wrote about playing with that guy back at E3.)

According to Nintendo, there will be plenty of things to do on the overworld in between dungeons. You can only hop off and run around at stations and towns, but there will be side activities and quests to undertake both at these larger population centers, and you'll run into some interesting characters as you ride the tracks as well. 

The dungeons are looking like classic DS Zelda. 
You know, it wouldn't be a latter-day DS game if it didn't make you blow into the microphone now and then. That was necessary not only to use that whirlwind weapon I mentioned in the Snow Temple, but also to play the Spirit Flute, this game's ocarina. You play the Spirit Flute by sliding its pipes back and forth across the screen and blowing, pretty much like a Pan flute. I just want to take the chance to thank whoever at Nintendo set the mic sensitivity on this game, because I barely had to breath on the thing to get it to activate. That means I can play this game on an airplane without looking like a loon.

Phantom Hourglass had a neat multiplayer mode that was sort of like Pac-Man, where one player controlled Link and the other directed some Phantoms around (like ghosts) to try to corner and take Link out. The multiplayer in Spirit Tracks is more of a four-player free-for-all where everyone is scrambling to pick up little Triforce gems and hang onto them till the end of the round. But roving Phantoms will chase you if they see you, unless you can get another player into their line of site. And other players can throw bombs at you or hit switches to drop you through trapdoors, as well as pick up some devilish power-ups to take most or all of your gems from you. The multiplayer seems like a neat diversion, and I'm glad it's not just a rehash of the mode from the last game.

The classic Zelda adventure is the thing that you ought to care about in Spirit Tracks, though. It's really just an iterative update to the core gameplay, controls, and graphics from Phantom Hourglass, but I have no problem at all with Nintendo iterating on a game that great.   

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

Duh, he's Link!
 Duh, he's Link!
If you didn't notice the first installment of our Zelda trivia challenge earlier this week (still three chances to win!), you might not remember that there's a new Zelda game due out on the DS real soon now. It's Spirit Tracks, the direct successor to Phantom Hourglass, and hey, I just played it!

This new game directly follows the previous one. It's a hundred years later, and a new kingdom of Hyrule has been founded on the continent that the protagonists of Phantom Hourglass discovered sometime between that game and this one. Wait a minute, that would make Link and Zelda more than a century old, and--hmm, are we just assuming they're immortal at this point? Is there any sort of rationale at work in this timeline anymore?

You know, who cares? It's a Zelda game. The indigenous people of this new land tell of an ancient, legendary battle between the good spirits and the forces of the Demon King Maladus, whose soul was finally imprisoned in a centralized Tower of Spirits. Maladus is down but not completely out; the ethereal shackles that bind him are in fact stretched far and wide across the new land of Hyrule.

And those bonds just happen to be... train tracks! Convenient, since a train replaces Phantom Hourglass' ship as your primary mode of transportation in Spirit Tracks. The game opens with Link training to become an engineer, during which time he realizes that these train tracks are beginning to disappear. There's also a shady chancellor named Cole involved who may in fact be trying to revive Maladus (there's always one bad apple in these games), so Link starts to explore the land to find out what's going on.

It looks like Spirit Tracks will use a similar framework to Phantom Hourglass, which had a central, recurring dungeon that you explored more and more of as you solved other, standalone dungeons and picked up new items and abilities. The recurring dungeon in this game is the Tower of Spirits itself. Every floor of the tower that you clear will yield a tablet that opens up a new set of tracks, which will lead you to a new area of Hyrule. You'll find a new dungeon in that area, and defeating it will arm you with a new item and send energy back up the newly laid tracks, which then opens up the next level of the tower, and... you probably see how this works.

I got to mess around a bit in the second dungeon of the game, which was--brace yourself--the Snow Temple! Yes, themed dungeons are back. I had an item here that let me unleash a targeted whirlwind that could stun enemies, flip some switches, and even propel me around when I was floating around on a block in pools of water. You'll play through these dungeons solo, but you'll be joined by a controllable phantom when you're playing the Tower of Spirits levels. (I wrote about playing with that guy back at E3.)

According to Nintendo, there will be plenty of things to do on the overworld in between dungeons. You can only hop off and run around at stations and towns, but there will be side activities and quests to undertake both at these larger population centers, and you'll run into some interesting characters as you ride the tracks as well. 

You know, it wouldn't be a latter-day DS game if it didn't make you blow into the microphone now and then. That was necessary not only to use that whirlwind weapon I mentioned in the Snow Temple, but also to play the Spirit Flute, this game's ocarina. You play the Spirit Flute by sliding its pipes back and forth across the screen and blowing, pretty much like a Pan flute. I just want to take the chance to thank whoever at Nintendo set the mic sensitivity on this game, because I barely had to breath on the thing to get it to activate. That means I can play this game on an airplane without looking like a loon.

Phantom Hourglass had a neat multiplayer mode that was sort of like Pac-Man, where one player controlled Link and the other directed some Phantoms around (like ghosts) to try to corner and take Link out. The multiplayer in Spirit Tracks is more of a four-player free-for-all where everyone is scrambling to pick up little Triforce gems and hang onto them till the end of the round. But roving Phantoms will chase you if they see you, unless you can get another player into their line of site. And other players can throw bombs at you or hit switches to drop you through trapdoors, as well as pick up some devilish power-ups to take most or all of your gems from you. The multiplayer seems like a neat diversion, and I'm glad it's not just a rehash of the mode from the last game.

The classic Zelda adventure is the thing that you ought to care about in Spirit Tracks, though. It's really just an iterative update to the core gameplay, controls, and graphics from Phantom Hourglass, but I have no problem at all with Nintendo iterating on a game that great.   

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Kohe321

Awesome hands on!

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

I was under the mistaken impression that the Spirit Tracks belonged to Zelda herself =(

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4  Edited By c_rakestraw

So more going back to a single dungeon, eh? Oh well. It should be okay, so long as it doesn't force you to go through levels you've previously cleared like its predecessor. Because that grew tiresome rather quickly.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Legend

Looking forward to this.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Zelda is getting old.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By TheMasterDS

I feel bad for assuming that Phantom Hourglass's main flaw wouldn't return for this. I really want to go cancel my preorder now, though hearing that they've invented stairs makes me feel a bit better. Anyone know if the Spirit Tower is timed, or stealth focused? 

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By RobotHamster

Looking good

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By fishinwithguns

can't wait, there are so few good games on the DS, it seems like only Nintendo knows how to properly deal with their hardware.  Phantom Hourglass was great, despite a few troubling flaws.  I'm definitely on board for the sequel.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FCKSNAP

I was expecting an "I Choo-Choo-Choose U!" joke somewhere.\

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brad
@TheMasterDS said:
" Anyone know if the Spirit Tower is timed, or stealth focused?  "

It appeared to be neither, though they didn't let me play that part.
TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By TheMasterDS
@Brad: That's good then, it shouldn't be nearly as bad as the Temple of the Ocean King then. I suppose I can understand why they chose to retain the central dungeon mechanic even if its lost most of what made it novel, as it was a part of the game where the player didn't expect to get new weapons.
locolukah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By locolukah
@Brad: In the Nintendo Power preview they mentioned that it is broken up into 4 parts and you don't have to go through the old parts unless you want to go for hidden items. There is an elevator in the tower that will take you where you need to go.

Hope that helps.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Milkman

"It looks like Spirit Tracks will use a similar framework to Phantom Hourglass, which had a central, recurring dungeon that you explored more and more of as you solved other, standalone dungeons and picked up new items and abilities." 

Aw crap, that was, by far, my least favorite feature of Phantom Hourglass. That one goddamn dungeon that you had to go through over and over and over again.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Shaanyboi

I'm so glad that the game just skips you past the levels in the tower you've already completed.   And no time/stealth bullcrap?!  YAY

And Brad, these are a different Link and Zelda.  It almost ALWAYS is a different Link and Zelda

It's Zelda.... I'm fucking stoked

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JazGalaxy

The prospect of Link developing a relationship with Zelda over the course of the game is so appealing that I don't know why they didn't save that for a proper console Zelda game. It's a first for the series and long overdue. 

That being said... Nintendo needs to start bringing more to the table where Zelda is concerned. It's getting way too gimmicky. It's essentially become the same game year in and year out with one minor change of gimmmick. Hat, Flute, Sword, whatever... 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks
@locolukah said:
" @Brad: In the Nintendo Power preview they mentioned that it is broken up into 4 parts and you don't have to go through the old parts unless you want to go for hidden items. There is an elevator in the tower that will take you where you need to go.  Hope that helps. "
This. Aonuma and Miyamoto are aware people didn't like the central dungeon concept, it was the first thing they became aware of concerning PH.
raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By raggedglory

I guess you could say they're on the right TRACK

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By JonathanMoore

...yay? I dunno... it just looks like more Phantom Hourglass to me...

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GunnBjorn

Isn't this just unbelievable?! 

Just a few months ago i utterly pounded this one into the dust. 
Now, i'm totally stoked to buy and play this game! 
Is there some marketing voodoo-magic going on here? 
Or am i such an erratic, capricious individual?    
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By penguindust

Charming.  I really like the Wind Waker design for these DS games.  This one looks very cute and, well, heartwarming.  I enjoyed the stylus control of the Phantom Hourglass and this one looks to continue with that game play.  I'm looking forward to this one.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By guthwulf

Man that looks awesome! Although I'm still a little sceptical about the railway stuff, I still can't wait to play this.

Valor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Valor

lookin forward to pickin this up
Mister_Snig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mister_Snig
@raggedglory said:

" I guess you could say they're on the right TRACK "

YEEEEEEEEAAAHHH
 YEEEEEEEEAAAHHH
I'm so sorry.
astrofizzix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By astrofizzix

They're a different Link and Zelda, Brad. This Zelda is a descendant of Tetra from The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass. As for the timeline, it's certainly messed up.

JoEDigiTECH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JoEDigiTECH

It might have just been a mechanic of the "Phantom Hourglass" but, are their any "timed" dungeons?

frans130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By frans130

New weapons look cool. The dead Zelda is a neet twist to the series, although very annoying that they show it, before the game launches. I would love to be surprised by such a turn of events. Also I hate, they're still retaining that bullshit hub-world from Phantom Hourglass, it's really limiting the freedom of the game, watering it down to a bunch of minigames and dungeons. Also the boat-sections in PH became dull over time and I doubt it will be different here
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By Willy105
@dudeglove said:
" A TRAIN?! Bloody hell, that looks totally retarded. The graphics don't look up to scratch either. And bring back Ganon godammit! "
The train is the reason I'm excited.

And yes, this is a different Zelda and Link. Remember that every daughter of the throne of Hyrule is to be named Zelda as a result of the actual Legend of Zelda. As for Link, you can always name him whatever you want, so he's just a nameless hero named Link by default.
ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By ArcBorealis

Sounds good. I just hope the tower of spirits doesn't get as tiring to go through as the Ocean King's temple in PH.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Lies

Can not get it up for this one, dunno why. I'd much rather see cell-shaded Zelda return to consoles, but that's never going to happen :(

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#32  Edited By jacksukeru

Reccuring Dungeon = Unsold 
I hated that part in Phantom Hourglass. 

Edit: reading comments helps, as I am now slightly less unsold on the game.

Myrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Myrmidon

FUCKIN' TRAINS BRO

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GalacticPunt

"get another player into their line of site."  Should be "line of SIGHT".   

I am... the phantom copy-editor!  *raises cape and drops smoke pellet*

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Media_Master

That music makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

2Yewtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By 2Yewtz

Huh. Looks neat. Thanks for the write-up Brad.

The music at 1:00 reminded me a lot of Legend of Legaia... ah... memories.

AaronAlex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AaronAlex

Thanks for the write up Brad! I might go pick up the previous Zelda DS game.  
Will i have had to have finished the Wind Waker to make these games more enjoyable?

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#38  Edited By MeatSim

The trains gotta be better then that annoying talking boat.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Kyle

Wait a second... I just realize: Isn't this a direct sequel to Phantom Hourglass and Wind Waker? If so, where's all the water??? Or maybe something happens at the end of Phantom Hourglass because I never beat it . . .

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ashogo

"You'll be choo-chooing back here often."

For some reason this caption made me laugh.

It's too bad you aren't able to make ds quick looks, there are loads of great previews you could do. Are you guys thinking about a capture setup for ds, eventually?

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GunnBjorn

I'm so glad that we in Europe will get the more civil, charming box-art.
myghart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By myghart
@MisterSnig said:
" @raggedglory said:

" I guess you could say they're on the right TRACK "

YEEEEEEEEAAAHHH
 YEEEEEEEEAAAHHH
I'm so sorry. "
lulz, that was perfectly appropriate.
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JazGalaxy
@frans130 said:
" New weapons look cool. The dead Zelda is a neet twist to the series, although very annoying that they show it, before the game launches. I would love to be surprised by such a turn of events. Also I hate, they're still retaining that bullshit hub-world from Phantom Hourglass, it's really limiting the freedom of the game, watering it down to a bunch of minigames and dungeons. Also the boat-sections in PH became dull over time and I doubt it will be different here "
Well, the problem with that is that we're getting WAYYYY too many Zeldas for every single one to have dungeons and take place all over Hyrule. The gameplay is essentially the same and their ruining the impact of future Zelda games if they follow the exact same structure on the handheld versions as well. Frankly, I want to see them do a Zelda 2 and make something completely different yet the same.
hb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hb

I hate constantly just trying to get past the guards in the temple. It gets so boring. Glad you don't have to repeat floors though.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#45  Edited By King9999
@GalacticPunt said:
" "get another player into their line of site."  Should be "line of SIGHT".     I am... the phantom copy-editor!  *raises cape and drops smoke pellet* "
And where it says "breath," it should be "breathe."  I got your back.
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By skrutop

I don't know.  Phantom Hourglass was alright, but Spirit Tracks looks kinda dumb.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By Willy105
@Kyle said:
" Wait a second... I just realize: Isn't this a direct sequel to Phantom Hourglass and Wind Waker? If so, where's all the water??? Or maybe something happens at the end of Phantom Hourglass because I never beat it . . . "
From the end of Wind Waker and all through Phantom Hourglass, Link and the pirates are searching for a new land to call Hyrule after the old one was destroyed in Wind Waker. This game takes place when they found the new land, 100 years after the original two games.
Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By Kyle
@Willy105 said:
" @Kyle said:
" Wait a second... I just realized: Isn't this a direct sequel to Phantom Hourglass and Wind Waker? If so, where's all the water??? Or maybe something happens at the end of Phantom Hourglass because I never beat it . . . "
From the end of Wind Waker and all through Phantom Hourglass, Link and the pirates are searching for a new land to call Hyrule after the old one was destroyed in Wind Waker. This game takes place when they found the new land, 100 years after the original two games. "
Ah. Okay, thanks.
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#49  Edited By Siphillis
@VisariLoyalist said:
" Zelda is getting old. "
Better to wear out than rust out.
Dimorgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Dimorgh

Games like these are called money-milkers. Looks really cheap to make and sells quite a few million on the Zelda name alone. Good business, boring news.