• 75 results
bcooper56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bcooper56

Really simple for me with one thing and that is melee. Now back in the day when the PC was the king of the FPS we have a system that worked perfectly. The melee weapon has it's own slot you had to highlight and select. It was a last resort, an inconvenience just like In real life where you would run into a battlefield with a knife.

Now however since Halo every FPS under the sun has adopted this stupid I win button system. Where you hit a button and it locks you into an animation with the enemy for a one hit kill. Sometimes it even lunges you forward 20ft to kill them if you have perks or whatever it's called in COD.

Frigging every game has now just become about melee fights in close combat and it is really annoying. I play an FPS to have guns, otherwise I'd play beat em ups or something man. It's getting so annoying and especially when it locks you into an animation you can't get out of. When playing Halo beta the other week I wondered why everyone liked it. Frigging the guns are so weak, the jumping is so floaty and all anyone is doing is hitting the melee button. Frigging even now Halo is locking you into an animation and it looks frigging stupid.

Counter Strike got it perfect!

Knifing is a last resort or something for an opening round laugh. You never want to run at someone with a knife in Counter Strike because just like in Real Life, the person with the gun wins. Guns are very powerful and kill you very quickly and if you're that much of a noob you then switch to your pistol. If your aim still sucks then you switch yo your knife. There are other situations too like sneaking up on someone and knifing them, but there's never any of this running straight at them to melee like console FPS.

The other great thing is it isn't a one hit kill if they're at full health and it doesn't lock you into any animation. You have to manually select the knife to sacrifice your pistol, so you can't use an I win button and straight away start shooting with your gun.

That's what I hate about these console shooters today. Because of all this regenerating health bollocks guns feel even weaker. Just like in real life when someone gets shot they hide behind a wall for a few seconds and then they're completely fine. Fair enough in Halo it was a shield but then Bungie went and ruined the series with the health crap.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By eclipsesis

Accessibility for the now larger gaming demographic. 

bcooper56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bcooper56
@eclipsesis said:
" Accessibility for the now larger gaming demographic.  "
but why do they use same controls for pc game it's stupid.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

No Caption Provided

bcooper56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bcooper56
@Meowayne said:
"
No Caption Provided
  "
lol
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By trophyhunter

get with the times PC loser

tane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By tane

I could mention far worse influences console shooters are having, like the arcady-styled small maps where everyone rushes, shoots, dies, repeats with literally no tactics at all, that most shooters seems to follow.
I can't enjoy MW2 at all since they went a lot further down this road, whereas MW1 at least had decently sized maps. But I still don't mind other people enjoying these games, I just think that it's %&!/

Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wrect

Its a very good point.  I can't say that I agree that melee kills are "ruining" PC fps', but it is a good point.
Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

people still play pcs?

some1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By some1

Counter-point: Arma 2

tane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tane
@hedfone said:
" people still play pcs? "
You can keep the screaming kids.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo

Wait...didn't you post this exact thread before?

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Andheez
@tane: 
I had some problems with MW2, but BY FAR my #1 complaint was the maps.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By warxsnake
@trophyhunter said:
" get with the times PC loser "
yeah get with the times of acting like a troll like this guy does.
TURbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TURbo

Boo hoo, there is 25 million people out there that spend money to buy a game that has different mechanics than you wish those games had.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pazy

I love realism in games, I spend all day playing Desert Bus over and over because its the only way I know to truly simulate the experience of driving from Tucson to Las Vegas.

I can appreciate your point that close range is an instant kill scenario in Cod since it can get quite annoying for me, it might be one thing if your using the Perk(?) that gives you a tactical knife with your pistol since you would then be holding it but it seems a little unrealistic to be able to pull out a knife and lunge forward that fast while holding an assault rifle or LMG but equally this is a game so realism isnt the most important things its just whether people think its fun. There have been a few times where I've felt the path a genre seems to be going down I dont appreciate, for example the move to baseless RTS games, but that dosent mean they have "ruined" that genre just that it dosent appeal to me anymore.

Sadly the fact of the world is that it keeps moving, and technology moves faster than the world seems to. When your talking about a Book, you remember them right? The little papery things stained with ink all over them to form odd picturesque shapes to speak to you?, or a Film you can go back to them individually and enjoy them but with Multi-player shooters you need someone on the other end at the same time willing to play the game. If Multiplayer FPS games, or at least there mainline, move on to a place you dont agree with and you stop enjoying then you cant follow them and your only options are to keep playing the same games, say Counter-Strike, and hope that its still fun years later or hope that your niche exists somewhere with a small fanbase, for example the Egoshooters (like Quake/Unreal) being kept alive by indie guys modding on the open-source IdTech3 (Quake 3) Engine.

While I seem to be arguing a different point than you, partially because I dont agree with you point, I can understand why you feel that way. Though I dont feel like its "Console" games ruining PC Fps's, to me it feels more liek the greater FPS direction.
DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
@tane said:
" @hedfone said:
You can keep the screaming kids. "
Because no one is racist, mic-spams, cheats, exploits or is annoying on PC games! /sarcasm.
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By EdIsCool
@DarkGamerOO7 said:
" @tane said:
" @hedfone said:
Because no one is racist, mic-spams, cheats, exploits or is annoying on PC games! /sarcasm. "
its much less prevalent because your average xbox live player i.e prepubescent retard dosent have a gaming pc.
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kishan6
@DarkGamerOO7 said:
" @tane said:
" @hedfone said:
Because no one is racist, mic-spams, cheats, exploits or is annoying on PC games! /sarcasm. "
yes but we dont have annoying screaming 12 year olds 
except for maybe the occasional counter strike 4 year old which is completely hilarious
tane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tane
@DarkGamerOO7 said:

" Because no one is racist, mic-spams, cheats, exploits or is annoying on PC games! /sarcasm. "

Did you actually read the post i replied too. If you did, would you then care to explain why you are giving me a lecture on exaggerating?
HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By HaroldoNVU
@EdIsCool said:
" @DarkGamerOO7 said:
" @tane said:
" @hedfone said:
its much less prevalent because your average xbox live player i.e prepubescent retard dosent have a gaming pc. "
Bullshit.
Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Clinkz
@bcooper56 Well my take on the whole melee system is what the majority of what your complaints were with is that it was an INNOVATION to move it to a single button. Having to switch to your melee is old and outdated which is why no other modern shooter on PC or xbox will change back.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@EdIsCool said:
" @DarkGamerOO7 said:
" @tane said:
" @hedfone said:
its much less prevalent because your average xbox live player i.e prepubescent retard dosent have a gaming pc. "
The average PC gamer is an obese 26 year old with a speech impediment and lives in his mother's basement.  I can say stupid things too.   
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By monetarydread

If all you long for are games like counter strike then go back and play counter strike. I for one prefer twitch deathmatch style shooters so I can honestly say that for me MW2 destroys Arma 2, Counter Strike, Bad Company 2, etc. If you don't like the mechanics then don't play, I for one will be having fun killing and being killed in MW2 on the PC.
If you are going to really bitch about console FPS's bitch about games like Far Cry 2 where the developers don't support proper widescreen without a patch, and even then have such a console style FOV that makes the game almost unplayable on the pc. Or how about Bioshock, where you can't turn on V-Sync because it effects mouse lag.

Edit: As for Modern Warfare, for some reason everyone seems to forget that whole point of this game is to replicate action movies, not be based on real life. Your complaint is about as valid as those r-tards complaining about Last Stand and Martyrdom in the original Modern Warfare. I also want to mention that the whole dedicated servers issue sucks, but it hasn't actually effected me in one bit. If anything I enjoy it more because I don't have the experience of logging into a game and having everyone say "No Bunny Hopping, No Martyrdom, No Last Stand."

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#26  Edited By dudacles
@Meowayne said:
"
No Caption Provided
  "
Fantastic.
Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Azrail

i care because in general console fps's are ruining fps 
seems like generic unbalanced fps are the norm...

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I like the way the op thinks, I agree with him. There are a ton of other examples and downgrades besides that.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Coombs

PC was king 10 years ago,  It's day in the sun has passed and never again shall the old glory return.

SubaS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SubaS77
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" @EdIsCool said:
" @DarkGamerOO7 said:
" @tane said:
" @hedfone said:
The average PC gamer is an obese 26 year old with a speech impediment and lives in his mother's basement.  I can say stupid things too.    "

Lmao, awesome.
Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bobdaman18
@Coombs said:
"PC was king 10 years ago,  It's day in the sun has passed and never again shall the old glory return. "

;(
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CL60

I kind of agree, on many occasions, they just port the console version to PC and half ass the controls.

And I also want another game like Raven Shield :( But the new generation of console players probably wouldn't like a game like that.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gike987

Could people stop the PC bashing and actually talk about the topic melee weapons in PC FPS.

LinkinMedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By LinkinMedo
@gike987 said:
" Could people stop the PC bashing and actually talk about the topic melee weapons in PC FPS. "
+1
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iamjohn
@bcooper56 said:
" Knifing is a last resort or something for an opening round laugh. You never want to run at someone with a knife in Counter Strike because just like in Real Life, the person with the gun wins. Guns are very powerful and kill you very quickly and if you're that much of a noob you then switch to your pistol. If your aim still sucks then you switch yo your knife. There are other situations too like sneaking up on someone and knifing them, but there's never any of this running straight at them to melee like console FPS. The other great thing is it isn't a one hit kill if they're at full health and it doesn't lock you into any animation. You have to manually select the knife to sacrifice your pistol, so you can't use an I win button and straight away start shooting with your gun. "
With all due respect, what the fuck game were you playing?  Not only is the knife (not to mention almost every melee weapon in Valve games) very powerful, but you get the obvious benefit of you run way faster with the knife equipped.  Unless you're running headfirst into some dipshit, it behooves you to use the knife - not to mention that it's not like hitting the Q button to instantly switch back to your piece is that much of a penalty. 

They're both perfectly fine ways of designing a game with their own strengths and weaknesses.  Stop being a whiner.
Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Chyro

Truthfully,  I hate the way that you can just auto switch to knife and one shot someone.  And it always feels really wonky when I use it.  I'll go in to knife a guy while he is facing a different direction and it will randomly miss or literally go right through him.  It makes you lose control of your character for a second.  Just never liked the way it makes you lunge forward. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa!  You're saying videogames aren't like real life?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FreakAche

Halo is fun. Quake is also fun. They are very different.

The End!

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By sopranosfan
@InfamousBIG said:
" Whoa!  You're saying videogames aren't like real life? "
Yeah I know and jumping around was used as a second to last resort.  Not to mention Tea-bagging probably isn't done as much in real life either.
Avatar image for mercurycrusader
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MercuryCrusader

The PC still has Quake 3/Quake Live, so it aint like there needs to be newer FPS games anyways.

mdsteil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mdsteil

Console fps games had seperate slots back in the day for knives as well. Games as a whole have changed, and not because of the (kind of old) new xbox or ps3. I honestly prefer it this way, as the old way heavily favored the kids that played the game non-stop all day. (twitch reflexes, etc.)

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Azrail

wait fps games arent at least partially about reflexes!!?!?!? 
sigh... 

and knifes take 2 hits to kill in css, so they arent that powerful 
in games like mw2 its an auto kill 

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Green_Incarnate

All I can say is that it worked in Halo 2. Melee was perfectly balanced with the weapons. I don't think there has been a game since that has accomplished that though.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By 234r2we232

Go to bed, old man.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bionicicide

I guess it would be better if the CoD's made you switch to your knife before using it, but consoles aren't to blame for that.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Azrail
@Green_Incarnate: yeah because u couldn't kill someone in one clip...
Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Green_Incarnate
@Azrail:  Yes you can. And besides that one melee doesn't kill you, so what's your point?
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Spoonman671

This thread is stupid.  It's obnoxious enough when PC players bitch about the real influences that the popularity of consoles is having on PC games, but now they're complaining about game mechanics that aren't even correlated with console gaming.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By themangalist

I'm still playing pre-2004 games (thanks to a slowass rig) and i don't know how retarted knives are in MW2 but i have to say... Gun Melee is a great addtion to the fps genre. I'm telling you, i'm not going to fucking pull out the knife ever if i get close to an enemy back. i spray fire the shit out of him. the knife completely useless, so may as well take away the feature. However, fps have moved on as a genre. Melee has become part of it.

In halo:CE, it worked perfectly. It took 3 full hits to kill anyone, and simply it's going to expose you for so long that if you're run head on to melee, you'd die quickly against someone's who's actively shooting you. HOWEVER, it's a risk you could take if you're in a reloading animation and so close to get the kill. Other times, fighting in tight spaces and you can't aim properly with precise gun anymore, and it could be a life saver.  Halo 2 had a melee weapon that is one hit kill, but it takes up an oh so precious weapon slot. it's a risk vs rewards situation. 

i do think melee gives a new dimension to fps games. i cannot agree with you. melee never takes the spotlight in halo 1 or 2, and i think they have done the best job in implementing this mechanic. 

i think what you're talking about is much like the "right button grenade spam", also started by halo in the first place. It's so much more convenient, it brings a weapon you'd hardly ever use to play, adding variety to the heated gunplay. Think about it, in battlefield BC, would you use the gun with the grenade launcher or switch to throwing seperate grenades?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NTM

You can blame Halo, but it's not the consoles fault. I'm going to guess you're in your mid-20's? So I'm going to say that, of course you'll feel this way. I'd like to say I know how you feel, only because this is what my brother pretty much complains about from time to time, although he played games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark instead of Half Life, Quake, or Unreal back in the day when we either didn't have the money, or we just didn't really know enough about PC's to play them. So it's not the consoles bro, it's the games.  

I'm so glad that we've been playing both console and PC games for a very long time now, excluding the earlier years. It's definitely safe to say we've been fully introduced to both and I can tell you that there isn't a problem other than the fact that what Halo brought to gaming you don't like. Which is totally fine. I'm just saying, try not to blame everything on the consoles and say that consoles suck, because they don't. You just need to play with a controller other than keyboard and mouse to understand that neither one is better than the other.  

If you don't like the auto-lock in games on consoles today, just stick with PC games. Halo doesn't have auto aim in PC, nor does Call of Duty, and about the regenerating health.... Ok, yeah. I like it, but it's not realistic at times. I don't think anyone can tell you that that's good or not. You'll have your opinion while everyone else will have theirs. There really isn't any point in trying to argue whether it should be there or not. 

Alright, this is all I'll say. If this is a case of "These mechanics suck, because I don't want to admit it, but I ain't any good with the way they work. So I wish it was like the good old days where I can just do it the way I remembered it and loved it!", you'll just have to handle and get better at games -shrugs-. I'm sure you're the type of gamer that just loves blasting whatever it is in the face, and is totally content with that. Well, it's not like that anymore.