• 68 results
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Demyx

I don't usually say this word, but the second sounds better to me.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By buzz_clik
@GIVEMEREPLAY: That pretty much occurs in any dialect of any language, not just Australian English. For example, in Japanese the word 'kami' can mean spirit, hair or paper (although their symbols are different).

Check it: American Homophones.

The great example given is 'chalk' and 'chock', two words that sound pretty different in Australian English.
Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Rockanomics

When I was younger I did A, now I do B

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Organicalistic_
@onimonkii said:
" poly gonal  i also say diagonal die agonal "
same here
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By Jadeskye

i can't help but look at those choices and see something vaguely racist.

MrLandmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By MrLandmaster

Australian English (like British English) is a non-rhotic dialect, which means Rs are not pronounced in syllable-final position.  In such dialects, "ligger" would be pronounced "ligguh".  It might look unusual to most North American speakers, but given this fact the spelling of the second choice makes sense.

Regarding the pronunciation of "Obamer", this is the result of a phenomenon known as "intrusive R" through which superfluous Rs are systematically inserted in specific phonetic environments.  This phenomenon is common to (surprise, surprise) non-rhotic dialects.

Also, I pronounce it puh-ligger-null.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#57  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@4thHorseman said:
" Puh-Lig-A-Nul.  Least, that's how I do it. "

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By Red12b
@buzz_clik:  
Ligger 

Actual Liger 

A lion Tiger, be scared, very very scared. 
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Hourai

po-lig-a-nul

DreamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60  Edited By DreamR
@buzz_clik said:

" @GIVEMEREPLAY: That pretty much occurs in any dialect of any language, not just Australian English. For example, in Japanese the word 'kami' can mean spirit, hair or paper (although their symbols are different).

Check it: American Homophones.  The great example given is 'chalk' and 'chock', two words that sound pretty different in Australian English. "

Hold up. Where in America do people say 'chalk' and 'chock' the same? I just checked their American pronunciations on Dictionary.com, and they sounded different -- much like they do in Australia (but more nasally).

I'm also Australian, and this discussion is blowing my mind. "Puh-ligger-null" and "puh-lig-a-nul" are the same.

I've heard people say "polly-go-nal," but never "polly-gonnal." I think puh-ligger-null / puh-lig-a-nul is correct.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By buzz_clik
Man, I'm honestly just sitting here laughing at what this has turned into. I am so sorry for opening this can of worms, everybody. Well, I say I'm sorry but it's still making me chuckle.

@DreamR said:
" Hold up. Where in America do people say 'chalk' and 'chock' the same? I just checked their American pronunciations on Dictionary.com, and they sounded different -- much like they do in Australia (but more nasally). "
You don't think this sounds very similar to this? In Australia the difference is "chork" and "chock" and they have much more distinction.

@DreamR said:
" I'm also Australian, and this discussion is blowing my mind. "Puh-ligger-null" and "puh-lig-a-nul" are the same. "
I'm with you here. The essence is the same for both, regardless of where you're from. I think JJ got where I was coming from and pretty much answered accordingly without implying that Australians are somehow getting it wrong. Even if you don't agree with the minutiae of what I've offered, I think I at least conveyed the different syllable emphases... didn't I? Maybe I didn't. *confused frown*

@DreamR said:
"   I've heard people say "polly-go-nal," but never "polly-gonnal." "
Watch the linked video in my opening post. It's not the first time I've heard it, either.
DreamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62  Edited By DreamR
@buzz_clik said:
You don't think this sounds very similar to this? In Australia the difference is "chork" and "chock" and they have much more distinction. 
Oh yeah, that's a small distinction. It's more clearly defined on the Dictionary.com samples -- see here and here. 

@buzz_clik said:
Watch the linked video in my opening post. It's not the first time I've heard it, either. "
I saw that. It's the first and only time I've heard it said that way -- at least, the first I can remember.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

B. sounds kind of racist! But I used to say A, but now I say B since that seems to be the correct way. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By HitmanAgent47
TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By TwoLines
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

According to the free dictionary it's this way.     [pəˈlɪgənl]

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/polygon    

"
Closer to B then. But without the 'r'.
So Puh-ligguh-null.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By buzz_clik
@HitmanAgent47: What about 'polygonal', though? That's a different word. Although I'm not really asking what the official way is, I guess, rather than being curious about how others say it.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By HitmanAgent47
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By buzz_clik
@TwoLines said:
" @buzz_clik said:
" @HitmanAgent47: What about 'polygonal', though? That's a different word. Although I'm not really asking what the official way is, I guess, rather than being curious about how others say it. "
Both are on that website, if you'd just click the link Buzz. "
Sorry, I meant for the pronunciation buttony thing, which I saw wasn't there after I'd clicked the link - no need to get tart, ya cheeky thing.