I think overpowered characters in videogames should...

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Slaker117 said:
" @Jay444111 said:
"True, but it does kinda ruin the atmosphere of some videogames and their stories however, where you are basically a God in the gameplay, but in the cutscenes you are vulnerable. It wasn't the way that devs meant it to be played."
This is actually a good point, but I don't feel like it was an issue in any of the games you mentioned. In RDR where Marston gets downed by one shot and has to be tended to afterwards is a little ridiculous when for the rest of the game he soaks up bullets like he doesn't care and heals from gunshot wounds by simply not being shot, but that's a sacrifice you have to make to keep both story and gameplay interesting. "
Even then doesn't he go down really quickly?
Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@Jay444111 said:
" Oh, and can the people here PLEASE stop acting like jerks for once? Please, My God, the mods here are lazy. espically considering on how much I am being harassed ON EVERY ******* BOARD!!!! and by the same people no less. Just shows ya who is the real immature kids on this site. (looks at a good 75% of posts filled with childish moronic stalkers.) "
this is your fault isnt it?  maybe if youre writing was clearer and you actually made quality threads for once...  uhhhh there was a poll about user ages and a majority of the members here are in their 30s/20s
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By Slaker117
@SethPhotopoulos: He dies pretty fast if you're in the open, yeah, but the fact that the game opens with you being shot in the gut and almost dying from it, there's still a huge disconnect when you walk away from any gunshot wound totally fine.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#54  Edited By Daveyo520

No

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

That's internetting on the drugs.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Lemoncookie01
@Jay444111 said:
" Oh, and can the people here PLEASE stop acting like jerks for once? Please, My God, the mods here are lazy. espically considering on how much I am being harassed ON EVERY ******* BOARD!!!! and by the same people no less. Just shows ya who is the real immature kids on this site. (looks at a good 75% of posts filled with childish moronic stalkers.) "
If you're getting harassed on ''Every fucking? Board'',maybe it's you.
IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By IBurningStar

I like Jay444111. His threads amuse me. Less because of him, more because of what everyone says back to him.

Actually, maybe I don't like him. Hmm.

Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By darkdragonmage99

If I didn't want my character to walk up to death himself bitch slap him and laugh I wouldn't spend the time necessary to make her that strong. I want my characters to be a almighty killing machine it's why I grind levels like some sorta  obsessive compulsive monkey.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Agent47
@Jay444111: The Alex Mercer bit was pretty hilarious and true.It would be sweet to see him collide with Hulk.Maybe some easter egg for beating Prototype 2?I wish.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By chrissedoff

how about instead of taking away everyone else's overpowered characters, you go play arma ii or something and then we can all have our fun.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61  Edited By Simplexity

just change all video game characters to literally survive 1 bullet, and if you get shot in the leg you literally can't walk.

That will make video games alot more fun, literally.

..Literally.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By kingzetta
@Jay444111 said:
So your pissed that people think your ideas are stupid? Welcome to the internet.
Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Lukeweizer

I don't care about being overpowered in single players games. The player should be rewarded for their hard worked.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By JasonR86
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" I think we've all gone to far!  Self destruct imminent! "
Literally!
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By JasonR86
@Jay444111 said:
you like this don't you?
Ok...
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By iam3green

the only thing that i hate is overpowered AI against me. i'm playing need for speed shift 1 and the races that are 1 vs 1, the AI in that are overpowered. i was playing at race that was one car vs another and i picked one car the guy just went away, i restarted and used the other car and the same thing happened, the car flew by me.

i sometimes enjoy having an overpowered character. sometimes it's great to just start killing every AI that you see. other times it can be pretty boring being the best character in the game.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By McShank
@JasonR86 said:
" @Jay444111 said:
............you like this don't you?Ok... "

He Literally does.
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By WickedFather

I think overpowered characters are great if they finish their thread titles properly.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I guess if you dislike overpowered characters you could always play Super Meat Boy or Demon's Souls...or Battletoads. Literally.

Also I noticed in another thread that Jay (I just call him Champ now) posted in...he uses GameFAQers as an insult...but he keeps threatening to go back to GameFAQs. There are many questions I have. 1) If he uses GameFAQers as an insult...why does he keep threatening to go back there? 2) Why does he assume he'll be missed if he does leave, as if without his guidance our lives have no meaning. And 3) He has threatened to leave here and go back to GameFAQs at least 3 or 4 times...why hasn't he just left yet? My guess is he did the exact same thing on his chosen GameFAQs board "If yuo guys dun't stop being jerks im gonna go to Giant Bomb where people arent all jerks" until no one could deal with him anymore and he was driven out like Frankenstein's monster. If he keeps this act up he'll be in the IGN boards before he can say "yous alls is jerks". Keep it up, Champ!

No Caption Provided
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DystopiaX
@kingzetta said:
" @Jay444111 said:
So your pissed that people think your ideas are stupid? Welcome to the internet. "
Seriously...do you see everyone on here being harassed? Don't be stupid and don't be an asshole, and people here will treat you well.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By JasonR86
@MariachiMacabre said:
" I guess if you dislike overpowered characters you could always play Super Meat Boy or Demon's Souls...or Battletoads. Literally.

Also I noticed in another thread that Jay (I just call him Champ now) posted in...he uses GameFAQers as an insult...but he keeps threatening to go back to GameFAQs. There are many questions I have. 1) If he uses GameFAQers as an insult...why does he keep threatening to go back there? 2) Why does he assume he'll be missed if he does leave, as if without his guidance our lives have no meaning. And 3) He has threatened to leave here and go back to GameFAQs at least 3 or 4 times...why hasn't he just left yet? My guess is he did the exact same thing on his chosen GameFAQs board "If yuo guys dun't stop being jerks im gonna go to Giant Bomb where people arent all jerks" until no one could deal with him anymore and he was driven out like Frankenstein's monster. If he keeps this act up he'll be in the IGN boards before he can say "yous alls is jerks". Keep it up, Champ!

No Caption Provided
"
I'm not sure this guy deserved such an elaborate image.
xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#72  Edited By xpgamer7
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" Thats the point of some characters dude and others where they eventually become overpowered is a good feeling.  I want to get to a part of some games like Fallout or Origins where I am pretty much God because I've worked hard to get to that point. "
what he said. And Prototype wasn't that easy he wasn't invincible, just strong. It felt awesome and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#73  Edited By Lazyaza

Overpowered characters are the funnest to play as in my opinion.  Games haven't even begun to scrape the surface of empowerment yet. Seen the Asura's Wrath trailers? I want that x 1000.  I won't be satisfied until I am punching a galaxy sized end boss through time and space as the universe around me collapses from the sheer force of the impact.

That said yeah sure realistic, sutble and highly challenging games have their place too, I enjoy plenty of those as well.  Just saying games are typically at their best when the on screen action is ramped up to the point of insanity, eg; Bayonetta, God of War 3.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#74  Edited By wrighteous86
@MariachiMacabre said:
" I guess if you dislike overpowered characters you could always play Super Meat Boy or Demon's Souls...or Battletoads. Literally.

No Caption Provided
"
Don't give us false hope that he'll actually leave someday. I get the feeling that he's the greatest troll ever known, the Joker of the GB boards. He's just a dog chasing cars, an agent of chaos, and we're destined to do this forever. 
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Hitchenson

I was expecting a rubbish post based off the thread title, I'm glad I wasn't mistaken.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#76  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Jay444111 said:
" Oh, and can the people here PLEASE stop acting like jerks for once? Please, My God, the mods here are lazy. espically considering on how much I am being harassed ON EVERY ******* BOARD!!!! "
The Mod team does not exist for the sole purpose of babysitting your threads, believe it or not. If there is a problem then flag it or send us a PM and it will be addressed.

Oh and for the record, insulting us is not the best way to get us to help you. 
Avatar image for anamericanpatriot
AnAmericanPatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wrighteous86 said:
" @MariachiMacabre said:

No Caption Provided
"
Don't give us false hope that he'll actually leave someday. I get the feeling that he's the greatest troll ever known, the Joker of the GB boards. He's just a dog chasing cars, an agent of chaos, and we're destined to do this forever.  "
MAYBE it's more THAT HE'S the Faulkner of OUR GENERATION, AND we poor PLEBIANS CANNOT grasp his genius.

ON TOPIC though, ALL of those examples are CHARACTERS THAT you willingly took THE TIME to make OVERPOWERED. AND DON'T even start on that level scaling bullshit. FUCKING OBVLIVION.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ryanwho

Deathpunching everything was my favorite part of FNV. Also, FNV is a shitty example because they went out of their way to offer a challenge for people who wanted it.
Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By Colin

I literally don't understand whats going on!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By penguindust

I find becoming over powered my reward for having stuck with a game long enough to reach that level of aptitude.  I find games where I'm still struggling to kill the trash after putting in 50+ hours to be unnecessarily stressful.  I think we, as players, gauge our progress by how easy it is to kill something.  And, I'm not just talking about rats and spiders.  If I am hacking away at a tomato monster at level 2, I don't want to also be hacking away at a spectral dragon at level 40 in the same way.  I want to be one-shotting things because I am so awesome.  I want the work I put into a game to feel like it has amounted to something.  

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#82  Edited By imsh_pl

I find it quite funny that you act like you haven't threatened us like 5 times with you leaving Giantbomb.

I also find it quite funny that you're still using the phrase charactor.

No Caption Provided
The plural is characti, btw:

No Caption Provided

Literally.

On-topic: Having powerful characters is good sometimes, but I do agree that when you've just slaughtered 50 dudes it's kinda frustrating to see you act like a complete amateur in the next cutscene.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#84  Edited By thatfrood

I think text games should go the way of overpowered characters. We need more of em.

Brad_360i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Brad_360i

The only time you should be worried about overpowered characters is in stuff like fighting games where it actually effects other people, otherwise in single player games, so long as you have to work your ass off to get overpowered from being a super weedy character, what's your problem?

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ninjakiller

I agree with OP.  I want videogames to be more like real life.  I want a fps where you take on hordes of undead/aliens/whatever and your weapon jams and you get killed, and it's game over.  Or better yet, damage should be more realistic in videogames, you get hit by an alien beast, and you're instantly crippled with a concussion, and all you can do is lie there as the alien approaches and then rips  you apart.  Game over...no restarts or checkpoints.    Wait..that's fucking retarded.   

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By sameeeeam
@imsh_pl said:
" Literally.On-topic: Having powerful characters is good sometimes, but I do agree that when you've just slaughtered 50 dudes it's kinda frustrating to see you act like a complete amateur in the next cutscene. "
Yeah, that kind of consistency issue is something that really bugged me in Mass Effect.
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@AnAmericanPatriot said:
" @Wrighteous86 said:
" @MariachiMacabre said:

No Caption Provided
"
Don't give us false hope that he'll actually leave someday. I get the feeling that he's the greatest troll ever known, the Joker of the GB boards. He's just a dog chasing cars, an agent of chaos, and we're destined to do this forever.  "
MAYBE it's more THAT HE'S the Faulkner of OUR GENERATION, AND we poor PLEBIANS CANNOT grasp his genius.ON TOPIC though, ALL of those examples are CHARACTERS THAT you willingly took THE TIME to make OVERPOWERED. AND DON'T even start on that level scaling bullshit. FUCKING OBVLIVION. "
What is with the completely random capitalization here? It's making my brain hurt.
Brad_360i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Brad_360i
@Jay444111:  seriously, you ever heard the Phrase if you can't take the heat stay outta the kitchen?
stop bitching and stay out.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Wrighteous86 said:
" @Slaker117 said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" I thought you were sick of all of us jerks and were going back to Gamespot. "
Wasn't it "Gamefaqs" since nobody here could understand how he felt and his life and junk like that and how he's an amazing writer and.. stuff? "
Oh, was it Gamefaqs? That just shows what a jerk I am. Can't even get my tauntings straight. "
You jerk!  "
To be fair, GameSpot and GameFAQs boards are literally the same thing. "
Literally. "
They are both OP in terms of suck?
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Aronman789

Sometimes it makes sense to have over-powered character, like in morrowind, people complained that you would basically become god after a while, but think about it, one: you are basically a reborn hero, and two: you're the only one going out and killing all these horrible things while everyone else is hanging out.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ninjakiller
@SeriouslyNow said:

" @Wrighteous86 said:

" @Slaker117 said:

" @ZeForgotten said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" I thought you were sick of all of us jerks and were going back to Gamespot. "
Wasn't it "Gamefaqs" since nobody here could understand how he felt and his life and junk like that and how he's an amazing writer and.. stuff? "
Oh, was it Gamefaqs? That just shows what a jerk I am. Can't even get my tauntings straight. "
You jerk!  "
To be fair, GameSpot and GameFAQs boards are literally the same thing. "
Literally. "
They are both OP in terms of suck? "
Gamespot ated gamefaqs, and now the once reliable user-created faqs/walktrough site has turned into shitstorms of random comments and non-sequiturs.  

example::
YuriLowel
Posted 4/17/2011 8:11:57 AM
message detail
I will mention only balancing issues for the patch and not glitches. I will use the first three or four digits for HP because I personally think that this is not DBZ and the last three digits doesnt matter that much any way like e.g Thor has 1,250,00 HP so I will say 1250 HP and for dante has 950,000 HP I will say 950 HP.

CHUN LI: Her health should be increased about 50 but her lightning legs starting frames should be increased a lot and also she should be pushed back by advance gaurd a little more while she uses lightning legs because even if you push her, you cannot do even a L or a QCF or QCB motion. Also her hitbox of lightning legs should be removed from her back because she hits you with those legs even if you aproach her from her back. They should do it in a way that she should be at least crossed up while doing lightning legs.

Dre_Day6690
Posted 4/17/2011 8:29:52 AM
message detail
This topic should be about one's love for breakfast....I love the big steak omelet from Ihop, god is it delicious!
---

The Answer lies.......In the heart of battle...

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By CaptainObvious

This is great. Literally.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#94  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Ok, this discussion has gone as far as it's going to go. Way to derail the thread, guys.