In light of this news, does the site continue?

Sidewalkchalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My two cents are: if Ryan was still enjoying and enthusiastic about Giant Bomb, I would hope it would continue with his memory intact

If the rest of the crew and Ryan himself were feeling like it was sort of winding down, I hope they'd do what they wanted to.

I honestly just want them all to be happy. They've provided me much happiness, I can only wish the same in return.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Of course it will. I cannot imagine Jeff, Brad, Vinny, Drew, and the rest of the crew would be so cold as to disrespect Ryan's legacy by cutting ties after such a horrific event. I can see the next couple of weeks, months maybe, being a tad bit awkward, but I believe this community had such a relationship with Ryan that we will continue to support them during this time, and understand where it all comes from.

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#153  Edited By hardindr

With GB being an established brand owned by CBS, there is no way the site is shutting down. I am sure there will be many changes and a long transitional period as they find a person/people to fill Ryan's role on the site. People need to be patient and not panic.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I hope so but who can say. This is a huge loss and things will never be the same.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Yes.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course. Although this is the worst hit to the site, they've had other crew members leave before (abeit under less tragic circumstances).

Kaowas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I kind of get the way Jeff works, and if anything this might strengthen the resolve of the crew and push this website in amazing new directions. Ryan will be missed, but what he worked towards and stood for won't be forgotten. Don't forget that we still have, basically, the same crew and that a few of the gang have just spread out a bit.

Nothing stops Giantbomb, and I'll be damned if I'm going to give up hope on the site so soon. We should never forget the fact that this website brings some amount of joy into all our lives, because Jeff, Brad and Vinny sure as hell don't forget. They love this site as much as we do and then some.

habibyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By habibyjohnson

The show must go on.

Its what Ryan would have wanted. But it is very hard to imagine. Those guys were practically married to him, him being one of their best friends working next to them every day.

The first video with Ryan's empty desk will be heartbreaking :(

rip.

Avatar image for christopherson329
christopherson329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

does any one know how he died?

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@darson said:

Ryan would want the site to continue as it always has been. I bet he thinks we're acting like a bunch of pussies right now.

In total agreement. Giant Bomb stops for no one. Ryan knew this.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

If it does end, I will have no other place to go. I've tried other gaming sites, but nothing compares to Giant Bomb.

I always always have a Giantbomb tab open in my browser. Same here. As if my nearly 10k post count doesn't give it away I post here a lot not having Giantbomb would be soul crushing. I love these guys way to much.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#162  Edited By CastroCasper

I can't imagine Ryan would want the staff to back down at this point.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anything, giving up on the site would be a dishonor to his memory. Of course they're going to continue.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This site was Jeff and Ryan's dream. I can't imagine Ryan would want it to end, and I can't imagine Jeff would allow it to. It's no doubt going to be rough goings for a bit, I always felt that Ryan was kind of the face of Giant Bomb. He had respectability and validity, but was also a goof, the guy who was there to make sure that everything stayed fun. It'll take time, but the guys will persevere. And we'll all be there for them, every step of the way.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I can't speak for Ryan, but given what we know of him as a person he would want the show to go on. This website is part of his legacy and I don't think he'd want to see it gone.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course it will continue, Ryan was an amazing guy, but so are the rest of the crew and this is their job. Ryan will be missed, and his absence will be noticed, but the bomb will go on.

InsaneGenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By InsaneGenis

Yes. This website goes on.

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a matter of whether or not it will continue, but a fact that it's difficult to handle all of the changes we've gone through over the past year in a half. The CBS merger, Whiskey split, Dave leaving, Patrick moving, now this...

I have zero doubts they'll continue to keep it going, but this is really rough. I have no idea what will be of this site in the coming months.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By bombedyermom

Imagine how fucking pissed Ryan would be if he saw giant bomb decline because of this.

His death is even more reason to carry on.

CoconutBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They aren't going to let the site go on the decline, GiantBomb will always find a way.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Of course it'll be fine.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Ryan would want them and us to soldier on.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#173  Edited By Lukeweizer

Of course it will continue. It'll definitely take some getting used to, but there are still 3 other guys that I go to this site to hang out with.

Andy_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you asked Ryan Davis, he'd say yes. So, yeah, I think so.

Things "not being the same" is totally no excuse to stop doing anything. You either break down, or you adapt, and Giant Bomb's staff has shown an incredibly strong will to adapt to their surroundings. It might be sad, or bittersweet, yeah, sure. And it won't be "the same". But that does not mean it doesn't have to be, too.

pottsynz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To remember the man you do not destroy what he built, you go on, make it better and a great legacy to his life.

rbal5491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing stops the Giantbomb

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, bunch of doubters and debbiedowners. Holy shit man! This site ain't going anywhere, if anything Jeff will probably want to rededicate everything to this site. This was Ryan and his duder-baby since Jeff was fired and they started the APD podcast. There's no way Jeff lets Ryan's co-legacy go to waste like that. As for the other changes... So? Change is never a bad thing and Patrick and Alex are putting out more content then ever before. Drew was playing host for the Freedom Stream and did a wonderful job in my opinion, and let's face it... Brad will get teleported inside of Dota 2 if he doesn't have this job to anchor him to the real world.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#178  Edited By grilledcheez

Yeah, I think the site will continue to go on and quite possibly get better with age. It will be different for everybody, but it will be good.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure it will continue, what else are they going to do? They've built a great website with a great community and the best staff in the industry. Ryan's passing is terrible and will hurt for a long time to come, but I don't see it ending.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it will continue.

The site as we knew it won't ever be the same, but as long as the guys are passionate about games and want to keep the site and community going, I will hang along for the ride. And I believe most people here will, as well.

It will not be the Giant Bomb that we knew, but no matter what it is in the future, I'm in it for the long haul with these guys.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By sirdesmond

@darson said:

Ryan would want the site to continue as it always has been. I bet he thinks we're acting like a bunch of pussies right now.

My thoughts exactly.

Also, I don't see Jeff abandoning his love of games or his love of talking about them anytime soon. It may just be a (tragic) time of change, maybe a new person or two will be added to the mix. Who knows? For now, I'm enjoying looking back at all the great videos of Ryan and thinking about the GB duders and Ryan's family.

ElmerGlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Letting the site fall seems like admitting defeat. Everyone is due their time to mourn Ryan's passing, but I doubt they'll let the site go.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still heartbroken and devastated by learning that Ryan passed, but I do think, for some fucked up reason, that because of his shocking passing, the guys will lose their jaded edge and become humble and normal video game people again.

So to answer your question, the site will be back, a little smaller and more focused, and with more relevant opinions and real gameplay rather than the current affairs which I consider to be a continuous cynical mockery.

No hate, I feel real sorry for these guys and I hope they come back stronger than ever, I just hope this change will lead to positive improvements.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Jeez pessimists. We're a big part of Giantbomb too, don't count them out yet, we ought to be here for them now more than ever. The guys are always there for us.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure they are going through hell at the moment and it's up to them, but I got a feeling it will definitely keep going!!
Like old Churchill said "If you're going through hell, keep going."

I have a feeling keeping the site alive, with the help of us, the community is exactly what Ryan would have wanted!

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By CptBedlam

As others have said: the show must go on.

It will be different, it will be awkward for a few months. But time heals all wounds.

I wish they would get Rorie on the editorial side of the site for QLs and reviews. Hiring Kessler would also be a great thing to do, especially now his enthusiasm would help a lot.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#187  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I imagine Ryan would be angry if he heard that the site was shutting down because of this. It will take time and it will be painful but the site would live on. It's what he would have wanted.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm sure it will go on but damn it's going to be weird.

havoc414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm shocked that this question is even being asked, but more shocked that so many people seem to think the answer is "no"

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By matti00

You only need to listen to a few minutes of Jeff talking inside baseball about running a video game website to know that that guy is a motherfucking genius who knows his shit. If anyone can recover from this, it's these hard ass motherfuckers right here. I can't wait to see what the next chapter of Giant Bomb looks like.

Improvise, adapt and overcome bitches!

havoc414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

It will go on. It won't be the same, but then it doesn't have to be. Change happens always. Giant Bomb will still be an honest source of info. It will not have the same amount of laughs without Ryan, that will change. But the mentality will remain the same.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I respect every single one of you, and how devastating this news is, to say this website will cease to be because of this is being way too pessimistic. The show WILL go on, I'm sure of it, heck Jeff has even said as much himself.

Will it be the same? No of course not...but it will continue and it will continue to be the best place on the internet to have dumb fun with video games.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Unilad

Ryan would never want this website to stop! He (and Jeff) built this for the long haul.

It is a difficult situation, and I know it must be hard on all the crew, but in memory of Ryan it should continue.

figurehead00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NOTHNG STOPS GIANT BOMB.

jchenderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My prediction and hope for all of this is Giantbomb comes out of this like AC/DC. Tragic loss early on with a massive following that stays strong for many years to come. But fuck right at the moment it is the biggest kick to the balls.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's a tragedy but the other guys need a source of income to continue living. The real shitty part is that despite everything they need to keep moving forward.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course the site will continue, what else would the guys do?

Loading Video...

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By abendlaender

@humanity said:

It's a tragedy but the other guys need a source of income to continue living. The real shitty part is that despite everything they need to keep moving forward.

What's really terrible is the way how GiantBomb works. It wouldn't be that much trouble (I guess) to continue writing articles and such but that's not what they do. Sitting down right now to talk about games (and in an entertaining manner) seems impossible to me, but they probably can't afford to just skip a week.....
I wouldn't be surprised if we see more written content this and next week instead of Quicklooks.

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know that if I died, I wouldn't want the things I poured my heart and soul into to go up in smoke with me.

The show must go on. Ryan worked too hard on all of this for anyone to even consider giving up now. Of course he won't be replaced, that's why this is such a sad day. Giant Bomb will never be quite the same. But that doesn't mean it can't continue to be a good site, even if things are slightly different, with new personalities. I still love the other guys and I think they deserve our support right now.

While I believe and hope that the site will go on, I don't think the 'new personalities' option is really an alternative. Giant Bomb is these four guys (now three). It's not a brand that could exist across generations of people. Giant Bomb doesn't really deal with exclusive or broad or ample coverage of games. What they have is these well-known veteran personalities that give their specific take on it all.

I hope they move forward with Giant Bomb but I think that if they start thinking about 'handing the torch' to new people then that would be the end of Giant Bomb. No one should try to fill the space Ryan left.