[iOS App] Giant Bomb Video Buddy

CorranHorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Get the error too. Notice it only happens when Im on my home wifi (Comcast isp with Netgear router). If I am on 4g network then it works fine.

MrPutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#352  Edited By MrPutz

@corranhorn: Confirmed that this is the case for me as well. Interesting. (although this is on my droid(s)) Comcast, as well.

Hobonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appear able to download videos, but I only get Jeff's sultry voice announcing an error message when I try to stream. Halp!

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey all, I wanted to pop into the thread to try to comment on some of the issues that have been cropping up in the last week or so. Based on this thread in the Bug Reporting forum, it appears that there's been some trouble in API-city of late. I'm afraid I don't know any more than what can be found in there at the moment, but the good news is that Giant Bomb's team is on the case.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh,

but the good news is that Giant Bomb's team is on the case.

Top Men are on it? That's all I needed to know. Thanks for the hard work All-Involved!

(Just for the record; my error has been that every video I download is 11 MB and just has an error message from Jeff. My account is Linked to the app.)

OneFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soup_menu: Awesome to hear. Does this explain the constant lag when playing any of the live shows? Everything pre-recorded seems absolutely fine. Cheers for keeping up the good work.

Torbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357  Edited By Torbot

When I attempt to play the latest Mario Party Party, it launches the video player and shows the buffering wheel, but the video itself does not start playing. I've let it buffer for several minutes, but haven't had any luck on both high and low quality settings.

profbobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By profbobo

Video buddy not functioning for me at all right now. Tried unlinking and logging in again to no avail. Anyone else?

Edit: closing app and reopening it seems to work so far after relinking. Weird!

espiox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Any progress on iOS 9 Picture-in-Picture support? Recently picked up an iPad Pro 9.7 and would love PiP/Split View for when I'm doodling.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have this app on my iphone and sometimes, not always, when I delete a video after watching it it stays downloaded on the app. Now it says that the video is gone in the app but if I go to the manage my storage function on my phone it will usually say the app is taking up a couple GB's of space even though there isn't anything to delete in the app. The only solution I have found so far is deleting and reinstalling the app. Anyone else have this issue?

JayPee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...the video is gone in the app but if I go to the manage my storage function on my phone it will usually say the app is taking up a couple GB's of space even though there isn't anything to delete...

Yes I have this now. Guess I will delete re-install, but I imagine this will also wipe the dimmed "watched" videos.

Might be nice to have a "reconcile downloads" option or something. I think this is happening when a download fails mid-way through.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By Ericjasonwade

@jaypee: Yea I'm not sure what exactly is causing it. Deleting and reinstalling the app and then having to sign back up is an inconvenience but not the end of the world.

espiox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've been having the same problem. I deleted and re-installed but obviously lost my dimmed video history. Would be nice to be able to clear storage without losing that (or sync played video info over iCloud?)

marokazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364  Edited By marokazam

Has Giant Bomb been considering doing their own app so that their live streams can be viewed in that rather than in a Web browser on a phone or possibly is that being considered for this app? Like this app, but would like to be able to watch live premium member live streams in an app.

loudghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep getting this error when trying to Chromecast with VB.

Resetting my Chromecast works temporarily (one or two videos) then I get the error again.

Any ideas?

http://imgur.com/thrSfKc

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Having troubles resuming videos in GBVB as of the last 24 hours. Seeing a lot of similar problems posted in a variety of threads so might not be app specific. I'm on ios, 8.3, mini2.

Also, the Injustice 2 trailer won't hide under "latest" view with the "hide trailers" option check, it is always visible. Super minor but I hope not a sign of things to come!

SpeckledJim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The app seems to be completely broken as of the last day or so for me on iPad. A video will start to play for maybe less than a second and then pause, like it's not able to stream any data. This is definitely not connection related, as I get a sustained 35-40Mbit down across my wi-fi, and playing any of the same videos via youtube shows no issues.

Vindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah same here on iPhone. I only get a couple seconds at a time of video. I love the app and I hope it gets fixed. Thanks

Orexis97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, same issue as the above on iPad Air with the latest iOS here.

protoculture27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same issue as those above as well

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

Same! I thought it was just Chromecast at first but watching solely on the iPad is either broken or so slow it's nonfunctional.

robthefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Error 94. Broken for us chromecasters :(. I will say that this is the only problem I've ever had with this app. And I'm a heavy user. Please fix the app. I've run out of veins.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b7ee273746a
deactivated-64b7ee273746a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Anyone else on iOS suddenly able to download video via cell data? I noticed it was doing this today, and then at&t texted me about my astounding data usage, which suggests it's been doing this for the past few days.

calcarrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just had an error I've not seen before- the latest UPF says 'No Video Files Found' where you would select quality. Any ideas anyone?

calcarrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376  Edited By calcarrington

@monkehhh: noted, guess I'll just wait for the downloadable version so it works right- thanks!

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@interfect: same issue, thumbnails have been gone for a couple days. iPhone 5 on newest iOS.

robthefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

App is broken.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@interfect: same issue, thumbnails have been gone for a couple days. iPhone 5 on newest iOS.

I have noticed an issue where none of the thumbnails for the videos are appearing anymore. I have tried relaunching the app as well as uninstalling and re-downloading. Turning my phone off and on doesn't fix it either. My phone is an iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 9.3.2 if that helps st all.

Running into the same issues here.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

for the last while videos have been playing just choppy. video and audio is constantly stuttering.

incandenza137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you make it so when you switch away from the app, the audio continues playing in the background? Seems some iOS apps do this and some don't.

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you make it so when you switch away from the app, the audio continues playing in the background? Seems some iOS apps do this and some don't.

Yes, this seems to work for me on both my iPad and Android phone. It will automatically pause, but you can hit the play button from the lock screen to continue listening.

My first time commenting on this thread, so let me just say what a wonderful little app this is. Thanks to the dev(s)!

incandenza137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah yeah, I mean that some do it even more automatically, e.g. YouTube (w/ Red) and the WWDC app, where you don't even have to press play from the lock screen. But I'm sure it's a matter of what the libraries and APIs provide etc.

Thanks for the app!

GamerChiCcK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387  Edited By GamerChiCcK

Bug report: I can't see any thumbnails for any of the videos anymore. I don't remember when it started happening but it's been a few months for sure.

Thanks for the app!

m2thek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about a checkbox to hide/show watched videos?

Okinopolytrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to trouble, but as of this morning, trying to download the newest Shenmue run, the app gives me an error "Premium subscription required, please log in if you're a subscriber." I am, and my account is successfully linked. I even unlinked and linked again.

xXHesekielXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thank you very much! I'll use the app more than the website from this day forward.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@okinopolytrans: same problem here unfortunately. For a moment I thought my membership had lapsed.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soup_menu: Same here, the app refuses to download videos, saying I require a premium membership while my account is still linked.

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393  Edited By soup_menu

@okinopolytrans: @august: @bsw:I just took a look and the trouble is that the API isn't currently returning an HD version for the latest installment of the Shenmue Endurance Run. Normally, not having an HD link indicates that you don't have a premium membership, which is why the app is refusing to download that video. The good news is that, as soon as the HD version gets posted, that video will become available for download. The bad news is that I'm not sure when that will happen. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If anyone is finding themselves unable to download ANY video, the first thing to check would be that your membership is still current. We're in the midst of a membership sale, so if you need to re-up, now's a great time to do so!

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soup_menu: Thanks for looking into so quickly, much appreciated. Good to know the app still works fine.

CrawBogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ever thought of a mode to have audio only and allow it to play while screen locked? There's just some videos you can enjoy the banter and not need to watch so it would be amazing to be able to treat them like a podcast and save battery from no video render.

No idea how feasible that is btw!

Great app though!

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mreibmoz: It actually should be possible to do that now. If you start a video and lock the phone, you should be able to tap the play button on the lock screen to resume playback. You can also press the home button while a video is playing, then swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up Control Center and press play there.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soup_menu: problem has returned with the Deus Ex Playdate. Maybe GB East isn't planning on posting hd versions of some videos?

soup_menu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@august: It looks like the next episode of the Shenmue Endurance Run is up with its HD version in tow, so this is more likely to be an oversight than a deliberate change. I spotted a thread in the Bug Reporting forum about it already, so odds are good a fix will arrive in the near future.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last couple of downloads have thumbnails now.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#400  Edited By wchigo

Just popped in here to see about the Shenmue and GBE Playdate Deus Ex videos and got the answers I was looking for.

In addition, just wanted to throw out my thanks and major props to @soup_menu for this amazing app. Honestly, it may be my most used app on my iPad and the only other one that comes close is probably YouTube. Love it and it makes it so easy to keep up with all the great content GB comes out with. Convenient too as my internet slows to a crawl most nights so being able to download them during the day and avoid downloading/streaming at night is a plus. Thanks again duder!