Is Farmville the most popular video game ever made?

• 82 results
bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bunnyboiler

79,331,014 monthly active users

79 million :/

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@bunnyboiler said:

" Is Farmville the most popular video game ever made? "

?
Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Aetos

Never played it.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Whisperkill
@bunnyboiler said:
"  79,331,014 monthly active users  79 million :/ "
I would hardly call creating a farm and never doing anything with it active. Not a lot of people actually play it.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yeah, it probably is. But it's still dumb.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Chyro

Everybody I know plays it constantly. 

I weep for the future of mankind.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's no Harvest Moon so no it isn't.

Ataxia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ataxia

the pinicale of social networking....farming...online.....
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Skytylz

maybe tetris?

bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bunnyboiler
@Skytylz: 79 million people playing tetris now?
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Skytylz
@bunnyboiler:  well i meant people that have ever played it.  i've never played farmville but i bet 99% of the people on this site have played tetris before.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd hardly even classify it as a game.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By CowMuffins
@bunnyboiler said:
" @Skytylz: 79 million people playing tetris now? "
You said ever made, idiot.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By flaminghobo

It's Tetris, you fool.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Brendan

It makes sense.  A game with nothing that stands out and takes nothing to run is playable by the most people on a website that most people visit.  Did tht sentence make sense?  Whatever.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By xMP44x

I wouldn't count FarmVille as a game at all. Yes, it's a Flash game, but there's very little gaming value in it. All you do is click here, buy some stuff, click there to use some stuff and then leave for the day. I would hazard a guess that it is the most popular 'game' of all time though. And that is truly terrible. A game where you point and click. Has beaten real games.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArchScabby

What's a Farmville?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JJOR64
@Skytylz said:
" maybe tetris? "
That's what I say.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mushir

It got 79 million users because of people who are completely addicted to it and keep sending their friends invites.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By penguindust
@Tactical_Kill said:

Never played it.

Me too.  I really don't understand the fascination with social network websites.  Of course, that might seem like an odd kind of thing to say on a video game forum site, but I don't think they are the same thing.   Maybe it is.  Either way, I have no desire to play a web game like Farmville when I can go play Mass Effect 2 or some other high quality game. 
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Probably the game with the most players, however it's browser-based, has very high accessibility and is free. I'm sure if it was console-based and required paying some kind of price (assuming it was very small price, to match the amount of content in the game) there would be a massive drop in player figures. However, I think under any circumstances player figures shouldn't necessarily be taken as an indication of how popular a game is. Some people may find one game highly enjoyable but only play through once or twice due to the structure of the game, while they could "sort of like" another game and pour hundreds of hours into it simply because the game lends itself to that style of play. Given this I don't think it's fair to say that Farmville is the most popular game ever made.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By dbz1995

Most popular? Obviously. Its on Facebook. Its like if there was a Snake game on Google.
Most played in minutes? Doubt it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" @bunnyboiler said:

" Is Farmville the most popular video game ever made? "

? "
Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't consider it a videogame, more of an application if you ask me.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@ArchScabby said:
" What's a Farmville? "
It's a crappy facebook game.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Axersia
@xMP44x said:

" I wouldn't count FarmVille as a game at all. Yes, it's a Flash game, but there's very little gaming value in it. All you do is click here, buy some stuff, click there to use some stuff and then leave for the day. I would hazard a guess that it is the most popular 'game' of all time though. And that is truly terrible. A game where you point and click. Has beaten real games. "

I hope you weren't implying that games where you point and click can't be "real" games. Otherwise my little friend here would like to have a word with you:

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xMP44x
@Axersia said: I hope you weren't implying that games where you point and click can't be "real" games. 

Nope. Not implying anything of the sort. At least in the majority of point and click games, you can do more than 30 seconds of play before getting bored.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I don't consider Facebook games to be real "videogames". 

So no! :#

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bjorno

natsume is probably kicking themselves for not making it first

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FunExplosions

This is a Facebook thing? Yeah, those numbers are probably just all the people that forgot to delete it.
Edit: Hell yeah. 1,000 posts. I think I'm gonna go party.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Jambones
@xMP44x said:

" I wouldn't count FarmVille as a game at all. Yes, it's a Flash game, but there's very little gaming value in it. All you do is click here, buy some stuff, click there to use some stuff and then leave for the day. I would hazard a guess that it is the most popular 'game' of all time though. And that is truly terrible. A game where you point and click. Has beaten real games. "

Recant your slander, good sir!!! 

Saying that pointing and clicking is not a valid control scheme for a video game is sheer blasphemy! Monkey Island, Sim City, Civilization, Company of Heroes...  

Kidding aside,  yes, Farmville is hardly a game, more of a diversion amongst friends (or old friends who are not really your friend anymore,) then anything; but if you enjoy it, knock yourself out.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By jakob187
@xMP44x:  @xobballox:  @MattyFTM:  @Whisperkill:
Real quick question to all those calling it stupid:  you ever play The Sims?  Take that, make it to where you don't have to really do anything except once a day, and you've got it.  Hell, look at SEAMAN!  THAT was a game where you didn't do much except for once a day.  Therefore...how is Farmville "not a game" and "stupid"?

I play Farmville...Fishville...Petville...Mafia Wars...Happy Island...Ponzi...  They are good time killers, as well as incredibly social - in a GOOD way.  I'm about to break level 30 on Farmville, and it's not like the game is hard or anything. 

Also, there's no addiction there.  I could let it go now and it's not going to affect me in any way.  There are people that are "addicted" to it out there, but no more than something like WoW or Halo or Modern Warfare.  I mean, seriously, putting down casual gamers on a regular basis is...personally...just fucking stupid.  Once I started playing Farmville, I saw the interest in it.  Sure, I don't have to really DO anything for more than 15 minutes at a time, and then just wait a day to do the stuff I need to, but it's perfectly enjoyable. 

So if you REALLY feel the need to knock it, then do so...but it just means that YOU'RE the stupid one for refusing to be open-minded in an ever-changing world of what "gaming" is. 

Also...Tetris IS the most popular video game ever, but that would solely be based on sales numbers.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xMP44x
@jakob187 said:
" @xMP44x:  @xobballox:  @MattyFTM:  @Whisperkill: Real quick question to all those calling it stupid:  you ever play The Sims?  Take that, make it to where you don't have to really do anything except once a day, and you've got it.  Hell, look at SEAMAN!  THAT was a game where you didn't do much except for once a day.   Therefore...how is Farmville "not a game" and "stupid"? I play Farmville...Fishville...Petville...Mafia Wars...Happy Island...Ponzi...  They are good time killers, as well as incredibly social - in a GOOD way.  I'm about to break level 30 on Farmville, and it's not like the game is hard or anything.  Also, there's no addiction there.  I could let it go now and it's not going to affect me in any way.  There are people that are "addicted" to it out there, but no more than something like WoW or Halo or Modern Warfare.  I mean, seriously, putting down casual gamers on a regular basis is...personally...just fucking stupid.  Once I started playing Farmville, I saw the interest in it.  Sure, I don't have to really DO anything for more than 15 minutes at a time, and then just wait a day to do the stuff I need to, but it's perfectly enjoyable.  So if you REALLY feel the need to knock it, then do so... but it just means that YOU'RE the stupid one for refusing to be open-minded in an ever-changing world of what "gaming" is.  Also...Tetris IS the most popular video game ever, but that would solely be based on sales numbers. "

How is FarmVille stupid or not a game: Because, surprisingly, that is my opinion! I don't class FarmVille as a game. And if we're fair, neither does Facebook. It's in the Applications sections. Or it was when I looked. How is FarmVille stupid? Well, you spent five minutes planting some crops and harvesting the old ones, before buying stuff you need for your farm and so on. And then you can log off for the day. With The Sims and the like, you could at least put some time into it. With FarmVille, you can't.

Putting down casual gamers: Nope. FInd a part of my post where I did such a thing. Go on. I dare you. At no point did I say anything about casual gamers. Or how they're 
stupid. That won't hold up, bro. So sorry. While this 'game' is intended to a more mainstream audience, I would never call anyone a casual or a hardcore gamer. Because those two terms make no sense. There are games that are more mainstream and 'newb friendly', if you want to put it that way. But no such thing as a casual or hardcore gamer in my book.

I'm stupid for having my own opinion: Oh lawdy lawdy! The Thought Police are after me! I'm sorry, but I have an opinion. This is a forum, and I am entitled to express my opinion in a suitable thread, as long as I do not violate any of the rules. And to my knowledge, I did not.  
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Whisperkill
@jakob187 said:
" @xMP44x:  @xobballox:  @MattyFTM:  @Whisperkill: Real quick question to all those calling it stupid:  you ever play The Sims?  Take that, make it to where you don't have to really do anything except once a day, and you've got it.  Hell, look at SEAMAN!  THAT was a game where you didn't do much except for once a day.  Therefore...how is Farmville "not a game" and "stupid"? I play Farmville...Fishville...Petville...Mafia Wars...Happy Island...Ponzi...  They are good time killers, as well as incredibly social - in a GOOD way.  I'm about to break level 30 on Farmville, and it's not like the game is hard or anything.  Also, there's no addiction there.  I could let it go now and it's not going to affect me in any way.  There are people that are "addicted" to it out there, but no more than something like WoW or Halo or Modern Warfare.  I mean, seriously, putting down casual gamers on a regular basis is...personally...just fucking stupid.  Once I started playing Farmville, I saw the interest in it.  Sure, I don't have to really DO anything for more than 15 minutes at a time, and then just wait a day to do the stuff I need to, but it's perfectly enjoyable.  So if you REALLY feel the need to knock it, then do so...but it just means that YOU'RE the stupid one for refusing to be open-minded in an ever-changing world of what "gaming" is.  Also...Tetris IS the most popular video game ever, but that would solely be based on sales numbers. "
wow, someone had a rough fucking day.. calm down buddy.
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By sopranosfan
@MattyFTM said:
" Yeah, it probably is. But it's still dumb. "
Growing vegetables.  I can't wait for the sequel.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Farmville eh? ... I have nothing to say to this really. I don't really consider it a game. It's a lifestyle.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By OllyOxenFree

It is not, mah boi.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jakob187
@xMP44x: So...since Bejeweled Blitz and Super Farkle are ALSO in the "Apps" section, they aren't games either?  Because they are...just like Farmville and the likes are absolutely games.  The reason they are in the "apps" section of the site is because they are just that:  applications that allow a Facebook user to access the Zynga websites without actually going to the Zynga websites.  That's why I laugh at something like: 

@Vito_Raliffe said:

" I don't consider Facebook games to be real "videogames".  So no! :# "

...and 

@MattyFTM said:

" @ArchScabby said:

" What's a Farmville? "
It's a crappy facebook game. "
...because these are NOT "Facebook" games.  They are merely games that can be accessed THROUGH Facebook...almost the same way that Giant Bomb can now be accessed THROUGH Facebook. 

As for the rest of your comments, not every portion of my post was aimed directly at you.  Therefore, just look at the pieces that fit into what you ORIGINALLY said and take that with you.  Don't believe that everything I have to say it directly attacking each individual person.  I merely summed up everything into one big pot.  As a matter of fact, the only thing that was directed at you was the first part about how Farmville isn't a "game".  Just because YOU don't consider it a game...that doesn't mean it ISN'T a game. 

Hell, folks...I could make an EASY argument that stuff like Mass Effect and Dragon Age aren't games.  They are just hours upon hours of dialogue trees and talking to people, walking around, surfing through menus...and then every now and then, you do combat.  Hell, Star Ocean and Metal Gear Solid are more cutscenes than "game".  The Sims and Seaman, while they may require more than 15 minutes worth of work, are STILL nothing more than a ton of menus and basically just CONTINUOUSLY doing what it done in Farmville and the likes. 

So, I guess the real question comes down to this:  what is the definition of a "game"?
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By captain_clayman

fuck that shit  
i'm never gonna play farmville 

and i got like 26 invites to

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jakob187
@captain_clayman said:
" fuck that shit  i'm never gonna play farmville   and i got like 26 invites to "
Then hit "block this application" on the invites and you won't get them anymore.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

" @xMP44x:   @xobballox:   @MattyFTM:   @Whisperkill: Real quick question to all those calling it stupid:  you ever play The Sims?  Take that, make it to where you don't have to really do anything except once a day, and you've got it.  Hell, look at SEAMAN!  THAT was a game where you didn't do much except for once a day.  Therefore...how is Farmville "not a game" and "stupid"? I play Farmville...Fishville...Petville...Mafia Wars...Happy Island...Ponzi...  They are good time killers, as well as incredibly social - in a GOOD way.  I'm about to break level 30 on Farmville, and it's not like the game is hard or anything.  Also, there's no addiction there.  I could let it go now and it's not going to affect me in any way.  There are people that are "addicted" to it out there, but no more than something like WoW or Halo or Modern Warfare.  I mean, seriously, putting down casual gamers on a regular basis is...personally...just fucking stupid.  Once I started playing Farmville, I saw the interest in it.  Sure, I don't have to really DO anything for more than 15 minutes at a time, and then just wait a day to do the stuff I need to, but it's perfectly enjoyable.  So if you REALLY feel the need to knock it, then do so...but it just means that YOU'RE the stupid one for refusing to be open-minded in an ever-changing world of what "gaming" is.  Also...Tetris IS the most popular video game ever, but that would solely be based on sales numbers. "

Er, calm down just a little, man.  I didn't call it stupid, or bash casual gamers.  I think the whole "casual vs. hardcore" gamers thing is stupid.  My post did come as me trying to be an elitist douche bag, but this was not my intention.  I simply don't think that it is a video game, because as you put it, it's a great time killer.  It is my opinion, I don't classify it as a video game.  I, personally, just classify flash games on the internet in a different category than video games.   There was no need to go off the handle and call me stupid for saying it's not a game.  I can see why people enjoy it, and that's cool for them.  
mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mano521

i can safely say that there about as many users who hate it as people who actually like playing it. 

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xMP44x
@jakob187 said:
" @xMP44x: So...since Bejeweled Blitz and Super Farkle are ALSO in the "Apps" section, they aren't games either?  Because they are...just like Farmville and the likes are absolutely games.  The reason they are in the "apps" section of the site is because they are just that:  applications that allow a Facebook user to access the Zynga websites without actually going to the Zynga websites.  That's why I laugh at something like: 

@Vito_Raliffe said:
" I don't consider Facebook games to be real "videogames".  So no! :# "
...and 

@MattyFTM said:
" @ArchScabby said:
" What's a Farmville? "
It's a crappy facebook game. "
...because these are NOT "Facebook" games.  They are merely games that can be accessed THROUGH Facebook...almost the same way that Giant Bomb can now be accessed THROUGH Facebook.  As for the rest of your comments, not every portion of my post was aimed directly at you.  Therefore, just look at the pieces that fit into what you ORIGINALLY said and take that with you.  Don't believe that everything I have to say it directly attacking each individual person.  I merely summed up everything into one big pot.  As a matter of fact, the only thing that was directed at you was the first part about how Farmville isn't a "game".  Just because YOU don't consider it a game...that doesn't mean it ISN'T a game. "

Since I've never played Bejeweled Blitz or Super Farkle, I'll say the same. I class them as applications. And I don't mind if you disagree. That's the beauty of opinions. We can all have different ones,  and we don't need to force them on anyone. And I don't care if they are Zanga controlled 'games'. Because once again, my opinion is my own. And I agree with @Vito_Raliffe . And MattyFTM. 

As for your post not being aimed directly at me, you should have broken it up. From my view it looked like it was directed in entirety at all of us.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I started up a game because everyone was on my facebook was bitching to me about it. I played it two days I think before I couldn't stand it anymore, but I still have a farm sitting there. I have a sneaking suspicion that I am counted as an "active" user.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jakob187
@xMP44x:  http://www.giantbomb.com/bejeweled/62-57/ 

Also, I feel that maybe I should point out another Flash treasure:   http://www.giantbomb.com/alien-hominid/61-17452/ 

Hell, a user here on our very own forums has been working on an Ice Cube-themed beat-em-up Flash game for quite some time now.  It IS a game!

This: 

@xMP44x said:
"Since I've never played Bejeweled Blitz or Super Farkle, I'll say the same. I class them as applications."
...is wrong.  There's not an opinion to be had about it.  They are games, plain and simple.  It's like I said before:  just because YOU don't call them "games", that doesn't mean they AREN'T games.  This isn't a matter of opinion.  This is a fact.  This is proven.  I mean, that's like saying "well, golf isn't a sport because there's no physical contact like football or basketball or baseball".  It doesn't matter how YOU classify it - Farmville IS a game.  World Domination IS a game.  Fishville IS a game.  Petville IS a game.  It doesn't matter if you don't classify them as "games".  They ARE games, and THAT is the point that I'm trying to make.
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By Belonpopo

Facebook is fucking stupid, same as Myspace. Don't get me started on Twitter.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jakob187
@Belonpopo: At least Facebook isn't drowned in drama.  At least, mine isn't.  MySpace, on the other hand...*ugh*. 

Although, I will admit that I'd like Facebook to go further back to its roots, where it was a very exclusive type of social networking setup.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By xMP44x

Look, I don't agree with you. But I don't want to argue, because we both feel differently on the subject and I can't be bothered with it.