Is there any game the Giant Bomb crew is good at?

• 71 results
Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I'm just curious after watching so many videos of them humorously sucking, it seems impossible. They all seem to lack gaming common sense and it's quite a sight to behold.

Are there any games that you know of that they are good at?

EDIT: I in no way think gaming skills are a status symbol, and I understand the reasons why the Giant Bomb crew might appear to be "bad" at a game and it doesn't take away from my ability to enjoy the videos. I am not saying I am better than them either and this thread does not serve as a way to boost my ego. I had no idea the concept of being "good" or "bad" at a game was such a taboo on gaming sites because I myself am good and bad at a lot of games, but have never been this touchy about it before.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Willy105

I never thought about it, but you might be right.

But it doesn't matter, I think it makes it more entertaining to watch in quick looks (most of the time).

Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that it makes the quick looks entertaining, but it's just mind-blowing how clueless they are at times (but I love that about them).

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Jeff pretends to be good at fighting games.

Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ Yes, I've noticed that as well lol.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Willy105

But there's also those times when their (intentional?) cluelessness makes a Quick Look painful to watch.

Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed about that as well. Especially if they don't like the game because it's "missing a feature" or "too confusing" because they're so clueless and can't find it when it's right in front of them.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rallier

Slots? 

I actually can not think of anything they are good at...

Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MightyMayorMike

Eh, they are playing a game for the first time during most Quick Looks. I wouldn't want to go back and watch a video of my first 20 minutes with a game. I doubt it'd be as entertaining to boot.

I don't think anyone with Jeff's gamerscore actually sucks at games.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Elazul

I was just about ready to scream 'TROLL!!!' at you, but sadly the more I think about it the more I actually agree with you. To be honest Jeff is pretty good most of the time, but the other three are just kind of aweful.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By thatfrood

They have to play a tremendous number of games. They rarely have time to focus on one particular game and become good, sometimes when they have free time they don't play video games.
Because they have to go through games so quickly, it's difficult to excel at any one of them.

So lay off it. It's taxing enough as it is. They'll get "good" at games that they really, truly enjoy, like when Vinny really dug Shadow Complex and got every single last thing and posted about where to find them. Otherwise, don't expect them to excel at every single last thing they play, it's hard to want to play a game well when you're blitzing through 2-3 a week.

Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it could be because they're playing games for the first time, but they still seem to be terrible at games that are derivatives of stuff they've played before (as in sequels). I just get the feeling they struggle more than other people do while they're finding their feet.

I think a possible explanation could be, that they play so many games for review purposes that they confuse game mechanics(?) and are used to skim-playing (game form of skim-reading) so much that they never explore the options available in plain sight to them. Jeff probably is the best of the bunch though.

EDIT: I was just curious about the games they were good at, which is why it's in question form =D I didn't know Vinny dug Shadow Complex.

ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ack

posting this without reading anything in this thread sorry: 

giantbomb crew are better at video games than me 

does this mean i am bad at video games 

(also it's surprisingly hard to play games and talk at the same time!!)

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman
@ThatFrood said:
" They have to play a tremendous number of games. They rarely have time to focus on one particular game and become good, sometimes when they have free time they don't play video games. Because they have to go through games so quickly, it's difficult to excel at any one of them.  So lay off it. It's taxing enough as it is. They'll get "good" at games that they really, truly enjoy, like when Vinny really dug Shadow Complex and got every single last thing and posted about where to find them. Otherwise, don't expect them to excel at every single last thing they play, it's hard to want to play a game well when you're blitzing through 2-3 a week. "
This.

The OP is kinda a dick. Probably wasn't intentional but this thread comes off that way.
obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By obcdexter

Threads like this really make me wonder how old the people posting here are.
I mean, who cares how "good" they are? What would we, as a community, gain from them "rule" at some games?
I much rather watch a sympathetic bunch of people ENJOY a game, than some douches who think gaming skills are a status symbol 
trying to outdo each other.

Oh, and also ...
@ThatFrood said:

" They have to play a tremendous number of games. They rarely have time to focus on one particular game and become good, sometimes when they have free time they don't play video games. Because they have to go through games so quickly, it's difficult to excel at any one of them.

^ this ...

and ...
@MightyMayorMike said:
 I don't think anyone with Jeff's gamerscore actually sucks at games. "

^ this

Sorry if that sounded like a rant, but the motivation behind threads like this - a riddle to me.
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't gain anything from it but sating my curiousity. I don't think gaming skills are a status symbol at all.

People on forums read too much into things, but I probably didn't help matters with the (provocative?) wording. Can't edit the title now though =/

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just remembered. Vinny is a god. He beat Mass Effect 2 on Insane.

So I guess Vinny is the only member good at games. And Dave is probably pretty good at MMORPGs and RTS

But yeah, I agree with everyone else in that who cares. But I took this thread pretty lightheartedly. Didn't seem like too serious of a topic.

Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You would never guess that Vinny is capable of something like that watching the Endurance Runs lol

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Gabriel

I hear Drew's pretty good at Halo 2

Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MightyMayorMike

If you're honest in wondering, a good video to watch may be the Monster Hunter Tri quicklook, Scrumdidlyumptious (I admit I just kinda wanted to type out your name so I could say it in my head - funny stuff). Ryan says that he's spent some time with the game and he's pretty damn good at keeping them dinos lined up. 

It's true that people on forums read into things, sure, but you have to understand that "good at games" threads are inherently douchey.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By thatfrood
There's no "reading into" required here. Please look at your first post:

@Scrumdidlyumptious said:
" I'm just curious after watching so many videos of them humorously sucking, it seems impossible. They all seem to lack gaming common sense and it's quite a sight to behold.  Are there any games that you know of that they are good at? "
Yeah, it definitely didn't sound derisive.
obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By obcdexter

I did read something more into it THIS TIME. Because, sadly, threads like this pop up on here on quite a regular basis.
Now I'm good for another five or six, though, so keep em comin'!

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Elazul
@TripMasterMunky said:
" I just remembered. Vinny is a god. He beat Mass Effect 2 on Insane.  So I guess Vinny is the only member good at games. And Dave is probably pretty good at MMORPGs and RTS  But yeah, I agree with everyone else in that who cares. But I took this thread pretty lightheartedly. Didn't seem like too serious of a topic. "
Vinny isn't great, but he does have an amazing amount of patience, and in his line of work that can be even more useful. Remember that it took him at least a month to finish ME2 on insane, and he did say that a most of that was due to trial and error and re-trying the same sections repeatedly.
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ThatFrood said:
" There's no "reading into" required here. Please look at your first post:

@Scrumdidlyumptious said:
" I'm just curious after watching so many videos of them humorously sucking, it seems impossible. They all seem to lack gaming common sense and it's quite a sight to behold.  Are there any games that you know of that they are good at? "
Yeah, it definitely didn't sound derisive. "
I don't really think what I said was that bad, but maybe it just sounds alright in my head because I come from the desensitized generation. I actually put some thought into how I could word things to avoid this current situation (which is where the pathetic adjective "humorously" came from), but I guess I failed. But I don't see what's wrong with saying "good" when that is what I'm asking.
Gre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Gre

Jeff was a world class player in NFL blitz.  He was as good as the developers, or better. 

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Siphillis

Jeff says he's pretty mean at Jungler.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gosukiller

Jeff seems to be fairly good at (S)SF4. 

But I agree with the OP, especially Vinny and Brad seem to fail to grasp some pretty basic stuff, and by basic I dismiss the "They have only played this game/this kind of game once or twice" arguments, in the majority of their quick looks. I wonder if playing the volume of games that they do on a daily basis affects their attention to detail...

That being said, I don't think any less of the Giant Bomb crew and highly value their opinions about... pretty much everything.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Ghostiet

Dave is a pretty good player.

Also, I only found Brad to suck horridly, but that's because he's not paying enough attention. You can see that in games he actually dug into, he's okay. Not to mention the fact that they are talking during recording - and not from time to time, no, it's constant talking.

StillVictor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By StillVictor

Keep in mind that on the quicklooks they are playing the game for the first time and talking at the same time. That makes a huge difference.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By evanbrau

I don't think it really matters how good they are at games and since a lot of quick look games are picked for their niche appeal or low quality (or so it would seems in a lot of cases) of course they'll miss features/features won't be there or are poorly implemented in the first twenty minutes of play. It all adds to the charm in any case.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By wickedsc3

yea i definatly think they should be better at games i mean u guys say they play tons of games and that is the reason for them being bad??? but i find that should only make them better i mean they thats all they been doing for years now??  And they still cant pick up a game and get the basic controlls sometimes.  Now im not bashing them i mean im obvisouly on this site alot and like it.  But i just hate butt kissers like alot of people on here are, your telling me u never been watching and said to yourself waht the hell how could u miss that or why would u do that????

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sixghost

I'd say that it's a combination of Quicklooks generally being recorded during their first hour with the game + the difficulty of talking while playing + the pressure knowing tons of people will be watching the videos(especially for brad). 

Just look at the later episodes of the P4 ER. Vinny got pretty damn good at that game if you ask me.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#33  Edited By ImperiousRix

Well... it did take Ryan several weeks to get passed that one part of Dante's Inferno. 
Usually, I tend to blame the fact that they've only just started playing the game, but when they miss parts of the tutorial and then don't understand how to do something or do something similar, it's really frustrating to watch.  I hate to say it, but I stopped watching the first Endurance Run because I was getting too frustrated with them making the same mistakes even after having played the game for hours upon hours.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By Animasta
@ImperiousRix: oh you mean like when they only played persona 4 an hour at best each day?
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#35  Edited By ImperiousRix
@Laketown said:
" @ImperiousRix: oh you mean like when they only played persona 4 an hour at best each day? "
Well, over 40 hours in or so, you'd think they's start getting the hang of it regardless of how long their play sessions were.
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sixghost
@Laketown said:
" @ImperiousRix: oh you mean like when they only played persona 4 an hour at best each day? "
They play the game in chunks longer than the individual episodes, then break them up into shorter episodes. They don't play every day.
Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Dogma

I really dislike these kind of comments. I really don't like when people yell "Haha, they suck!" or "Can't they record with someone that know how's to play games"? If it's either om Gametrailers or our beloved Giantbomb. It's sounds extremly elitist and douchy. The only people are trying to communicate is that they are better than someone else, they want to boost their ego and e-penis. It's such a painful and childish thing to read every time. 

I also agree that playing games while you talk (knowing you have an audience) at the same time is hard. I know, I have done it.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mazik765

It should also be noted that Quick Looks are designed to give us a quick look at the starting of the game and rushing through to show us as much as possible in a game they are unfamiliar in is probably a factor. I'm sure anyone who reviews video games for a living has played enough that they are fairly decent at them. Not saying they are pro, or even great, but not as bad as you think.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ChickenPants

Well, firstly they're at work so they probably have a zillion things on their minds at the time. Secondly they're on video so they have the added double task of comenting intelligently on some aspects of the game and more importantly in Giant Bomb's case offering some good entertainment to the viewers(which most often comes in the form of humour here at GB).
 You have to understand that the conditions they play games in are a world away from the conditions we play games, and in my opinion it affects the quality of their play.
But then again, who cares if they're not really good at any games? I know I don't and I'm pretty sure they don't either. I find it ridiculous how obsessive some people get about being good at some dumb game.The main aim for me when playing games is to have fun and if that means goofing around and ''playing badly'' then so be it, who cares? I know the GB crew don't.

Add to that the huge numbers of different types of games the guys have to go through you can't blame them for not being 'pro' at any one particular game. They probably don't have the time/desire to invest the requisite time in a game to get good at them.

I'm really getting sick of people nitpicking and over-analysing everything the GB guys do.

Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Clembo

I thought they were pretty good at some games (judging from the Quick Looks) but Brad has a habbit of dying in the strangest ways.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JokerSmilez
@ImperiousRix said:
"

Well... it did take Ryan several weeks to get passed that one part of Dante's Inferno. "

Weeks? Uh...try a few hours. He said that in the video and on his twitter.

And the Quick Looks and even the Endurance Runs are not a good way to judge if they are "good" at a game. They're intentionally rushing through tutorials, heavy dialogue spots,  anything that would make for a boring video. In action games especially, they rush into the action, not caring if they die or how often. They're posting these videos for entertainment purposes, not to show off how good they are at games.

They've said numerous times that baring a few exceptions they usually play a game to completion in a few days and then never touch it again. They don't spend lots of time with a game to "get good at it." They spend enough time with a game to complete it and then move on to the next game.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mutha3
@sixghost said:
"

Just look at the later episodes of the P4 ER. Vinny got pretty damn good at that game if you ask me.

"
Umm... it took him 140ish episodes to start using physical attacks, never learned the fusion system, still confused the square with the triagle button up until the end of the game and still needed to be reminded what every skill was throughout the entire game. I loved the P4ER but, sometimes they were really aggravating. My personal lowpoint was when they decided to grind a dungeon with enemies 10 levels under theirs  for OVER 2 HOURS. Then they skipped the enemies that were reasonably leveled and complained about the game being ''grindy''.

As for the topic itself: I agree, I have yet to see any of the GB guys play a game competently. I wrote off P4 as an example of them never playing RPGs, so maybe it was one of their first times playing a JRPG. But with Deadly Premonition a shooter/survival horror of which they have played plenty, I.......wow.

On the other hand, I bet Dave's good at RTS's and  Jeff does claim he's good at SF4, but who knows?

@JokerSmilez said:
" @ImperiousRix said:
"

Well... it did take Ryan several weeks to get passed that one part of Dante's Inferno. "

Weeks? Uh...try a few hours. He said that in the video and on his twitter. 

Maybe you should go watch his twitter again. He was stuck for weeks.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fwylo

I'd say yes they are good at games. Hard to compare in quicklook because it's usually just them powering on an playing.  We don't really ever see them playing a game they play constantly and all the time.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mutha3
@fwylo said:
" I'd say yes they are good at games. Hard to compare in quicklook because it's usually just them powering on an playing.  We don't really ever see them playing a game they play constantly and all the time. "
Endurance Run.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They are all pretty good gamers, but you have to take two things into account when watching them play games on quick looks & things:

1. They're usually fairly new to the game. Any game has a certain learning curve, and in most quick looks we're seeing them near the beginning of that curve, before they've had a chance to get used to the game
  2. Playing a game and talking about it at the same time are surprisingly difficult. It's not a normal game playing situation. They have to provide interesting commentary on the game at the same time. And that isn't as easy as you might think.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By dtat

Also, they play games very differently in Quicklooks than they would by themselves. They explain that for a quicklook, you have to move quickly so that the viewer can see a good example of what the game has to offer. So they often play very sloppily.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#47  Edited By the8bitNacho

You guys all care just a little too much about how good some game enthusiasts are at their chosen medium.  It's obviously not stopping them from enjoying it, and last I checked no one was forcing you to watch the Quick Looks.

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Andheez

I recall Jeff saying he won some kind of tournament when he was younger, winning a trip to Mexico or jamaica or something like that, so he must be decent.  I recall Brad had some pretty good scores showing when it came to Geometry Wars.  I also think a few of the other guys are high level WoW players ( personally I think this is more of a dedication thing, but others would argue. ). 

Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cleric
@MightyMayorMike said:

" I don't think anyone with Jeff's gamerscore actually sucks at games. "

I personally don't care if he sucks or not, but this is doesn't make any sense to me. Since when does the gamerscore equal skill? The guy has access to tons of games you probably never even heard of, and for some of them he does not even need to pay because of his line of work. The fact that someone played a lot of games does not necessarily make him good at any of them.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By fwylo
@mutha3:  Ya and they aren't bad at those games.