Might and Magic X announced; I am the only one who cares

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#1  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As Giant Bomb's resident "Guy who likes Might and Magic", I feel the need to bring this to your attention. I've found Ubisoft's handling of the license to be pretty decent, for as much as the bitter, unpleasable fanbase disagrees. I probably like Heroes V more than the average person, and I found Heroes VI to be interesting despite its flaws. With this new title keeping the same numbering and those few flashes of gameplay seeming to evoke Might and Magic III-V. I'm actually kind of excited. And, I imagine, I'm the only one who is excited.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I care.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By icicle7x3

Id probably like Heroes VI if I could play it...still waiting on that patch Ubi.

Anyway, I never cared much for the original Might and Magic series, just the Heroes stuff, but I'll give this a shot.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SuperWristBands

I liked the look of Heroes VI but I'm not so certain I would play it much so I've been waiting for a Steam sale.

Wait, is this new game a first person dungeon crawler? If so, well then

@pr1mus said:

I care.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@superwristbands: Heroes VI is neat, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily better than Heroes V. The standalone expansion is coming out pretty soon if you want to jump in at that point

Also, it's pretty great that I finished World of Xeen recently, because that's put me in the mood for a game like that.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I think I just pooped myself a little in excitement!

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I loved V thought it was great last PC CD game I bought...lol

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

Seriously, that's terrific news. I loved most of the games up until IX, and I just reinstalled VI-VIII. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I don't play the games but I think this is kind of a big deal and am passively interested.

I might get into these series some day, who knows.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not true! I'm way excited, especially since I don't care at all about the Heroes spin off series, but I did have the collection of Might & Magic I-VII.

It's interesting that they are taking it back a few iterations, design-wise. I guess they decided they couldn't out-Elder Scrolls Bethesda, and then Legend of Grimrock showed old-school dungeon crawlers could still be successful.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By StarvingGamer

I dunno, I've dabbled here and there but haven't had a Might & Magic game click with me since 3. I'll give it a go, in any case.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fredchuckdave

It doesn't have a "Heroes of" attached so my interest is limited. However you could easily turn the Might and Magic franchise into a Dark Souls clone at which point I'd be on board 100%. Heroes V is one of the most difficult games ever made so why can't regular old M&M follow suit?

Dark Messiah is a ton of fun to mess around with.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I've replayed Heroes V so much over the years. And I recently got Heroes 3 as well, and then I finally found out where you got your avatar image from. I love the Heroes of Might and Magic franchise, but the DRM killed my interest for VI.

Never tried the Might and Magic series though, and from the looks of it, I will not. Oh well, time to go back to the annoying Inferno Campaign.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Bollard

Yes.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I'm interested. As someone who came into PC gaming when this genre of RPG had long been dead I'm very interested in giving it a go because it seems really interesting to me. As long as it's turn based and not real time like Dungeons of Grimrock count me in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know absolutely nothing about Might and Magic except I played a demo for one on 360 one time and it seemed okay.

Someone educate me; what kind of game is regular Might and Magic? What makes Heroes of Might and Magic different?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@soapy86 said:

I know absolutely nothing about Might and Magic except I played a demo for one on 360 one time and it seemed okay.

Someone educate me; what kind of game is regular Might and Magic? What makes Heroes of Might and Magic different?

Might and Magic is the series of first person RPGs dating back to the 80s. Heroes of Might and Magic is the Turn-Based Strategy spinoff that actually became more popular than the base series. There hasn't been a new RPG in this series since 2002.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've been wanting to play through all of them, but it was a huge chore to even just figure out how to perform basic interface functions with the first one, so I put it off for awhile.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've only ever really been into the Heroes side of the Might & Magic franchise, and by that I mean that I love Heroes of Might & Magic III to death, but I really dug the style of this trailer. Consider me mildly intrigued.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@branthog said:

I've been wanting to play through all of them, but it was a huge chore to even just figure out how to perform basic interface functions with the first one, so I put it off for awhile.

Oh man... I don't even bother with the first two games. They're past my threshold of old game crap I am willing to deal with. Personally, I'd just play VI or VII and go from there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soapy86 said:

Might and Magic is the series of first person RPGs dating back to the 80s. Heroes of Might and Magic is the Turn-Based Strategy spinoff that actually became more popular than the base series. There hasn't been a new RPG in this series since 2002.

Thanks. Heroes of Might and Magic seems like it might be up my alley. I'll check it out some time.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

I'm surprised they made a new one and honestly a bit surprised they decided on what looks to be the tile based approach seen in the pre-VI games. Not exactly sure if I'm a fan of that honestly. There is a reason games started having freedom of movement. I think this will appeal to the really oldschool gamer but everyone who started playing this series in the 90's will maybe not be as much of a fan.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JazGalaxy

@raven10 said:

I'm surprised they made a new one and honestly a bit surprised they decided on what looks to be the tile based approach seen in the pre-VI games. Not exactly sure if I'm a fan of that honestly. There is a reason games started having freedom of movement. I think this will appeal to the really oldschool gamer but everyone who started playing this series in the 90's will maybe not be as much of a fan.

I disagree.

Just because something became trendy, doesn't mean it's better. There was a lot of nuance to tile-based dungeon explorers that real time "free range" combat just can't replicate.

Saying "there's a reason why games aren't like this anymore" is ignoring the fact that video games are just flat out trendy. There's no more logic behind it than there is behind the whims of pop music. The Legend fo Grimrock turned people back on to these types of games, and if MMX does well, you'll see even more of the same.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@raven10 said:

I disagree.

Just because something became trendy, doesn't mean it's better. There was a lot of nuance to tile-based dungeon explorers that real time "free range" combat just can't replicate.

Saying "there's a reason why games aren't like this anymore" is ignoring the fact that video games are just flat out trendy. There's no more logic behind it than there is behind the whims of pop music. The Legend fo Grimrock turned people back on to these types of games, and if MMX does well, you'll see even more of the same.

Of course, there was always the compromise present in the later games where it was real time but you could make it turn based at any point. Struck a nice balance, though I'd argue that the combat in the grid-based iterations of the series was never especially complicated regardless.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

@jazgalaxy said:

@raven10 said:

I disagree.

Of course, there was always the compromise present in the later games where it was real time but you could make it turn based at any point. Struck a nice balance, though I'd argue that the combat in the grid-based iterations of the series was never especially complicated regardless.

Exactly. You could still have turn based combat in the later ones but you could also freely explore the map. It was kind of the best of both worlds.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti

Hmmm, ve vill see.

There are a coupe of pointers that make me very cautious. They are reusing the exact same models from the last Heroes game. Tacking on "Legacy" at the end of that title brings about some unpleasant associations with throwaway Facebook games.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I've never really played any of the Might & Magic games, at least not on my own. I used to watch a friend play 6 and 7, but I always found the presentation of those games really off-putting and even moreso now. How are the older games, specifically 3-5? I've always liked first-person party-based RPGs like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Legend of Grimrock, so I'm somewhat excited to see this announcement.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up on the old might & magic games, but Im not too excited about this. I just cant imagine it will be any good. However, if they manage to make a good or even a great game, I'll be first in line to buy it.

gunninkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am very excited. The old ones are still fun to play.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 212

#30  Edited By Mento

I care! I recently beat M&M VII after that Brief Jaunt I did got me hooked on it all over again. Given where the series left off with IX, though, they've got an uphill climb to bring everyone back. I hope the combat goes back to all that crazy crowd-control stuff; I'd love to see a Serious Sam-esque resurrection of that particular format.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#31 fisk0  Moderator

The Might & Magic games were among the first RPG's I played, and while the Heroes spin-off was pretty good, I didn't like how that pretty much replaced the mainline series. Haven't we had like 3 or for 4 M&M Heroes games since Might & Magix IX (which I think was better than it's reputation, though not quite in the same league as Wizardry 8 and Morrowind that were released around the same time)?

But, hell yes I care, I was hoping the success of Skyrim 2 years ago would make the suits at the other publishers start looking at their abandoned franchises and bring back Might & Magic, Ultima, The Bard's Tale and Lands of Lore again.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#32 fisk0  Moderator

@svenzon said:

I've never really played any of the Might & Magic games, at least not on my own. I used to watch a friend play 6 and 7, but I always found the presentation of those games really off-putting and even moreso now. How are the older games, specifically 3-5? I've always liked first-person party-based RPGs like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Legend of Grimrock, so I'm somewhat excited to see this announcement.

I think 4 and 5 are fantastic, 1-6 are available in a bundle on GOG:http://www.gog.com/gamecard/might_and_magic_6_limited_edition

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that series had peaked for me at VII. I don't need more of it in my life.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last one that came out was pretty bad,so I don't know...

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

When they make Dark Messiah 2, I will care with all my heart and soul.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

never played this series, only met the composer of these games at VGL

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

@raven10 said:

I disagree.

I like the tiled movement and I'm pretty excited we're getting another Might and Magic!

Tiled movement can work really well either as turn-based or real-time. I'm happy they chose to go that way. You can still use a tile movement system but allow free camera look too. Best of both. I think if the game is more strategic and highlights unit positioning as an important strategic element then a tiled system makes much more sense. AI pathing and world construction are cleaner and easier. The player has a much more concrete grasp on the situation - what can fit between what, rough distances are easier to gauge by eye, etc.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By Zekhariah

I have a lot of trouble taking announcement trailers as a significant thing any more. Playable gameplay or bust really.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Karkarov

Awesome, it is about damn time they came out with something. I was afraid they were going to let the REAL series end on the note of a weird romp in viking land fighting your way through loki's bathhouse.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last one that came out was pretty bad,so I don't know...

The last one that came out also came out 11 years ago and was shipped in a half-finished state. It's not going to be hard to do better.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Russian site has screenshots, it looks like might & magic. Which is great, I didn't expect that 11 years after the last one came out.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By Tordah

If it is anywhere near as approachable and "modern" as Legend of Grimrock was, then I might be interested. Never played anything from the core Might & Magic series, just the Heroes games, which I love.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gike987

From Reddit.

• Plays more like the pre-mandate of heaven games with a grid style movement system instead of free roam.
  • there are 12 classes (didn't tell me what they were) and then "advanced" classes for each of them. I suppose this is like the system in 6-7-8 where you do a quest to promote from a Knight to a Champion or whatever.
  • there will be 23 dungeons.
  • aiming for september release
  • there is no training. When you level up you just get your skill points then and there.
  • You still will level your skills and have to train to expert, master, and grand master. Expert and master you just go find the trainer and pay gold when you have the necessary skill points, and for grandmaster there will be a quest.
  • It will be totally non-linear after the initial area where it teaches you how to play. Kind of like 7, where you were confined to the island until you completed the first quest.
  • In the demo you never had more than 2-3 monsters at a time. I asked if this is representative of the whole game, and he said "it depends on the level. Sometimes you will be surrounded, sometimes it is just a few more powerful enemies." Was kind of vague.
  • The movement is like Grimrock, but Grimrock was still a real time game. This is turn based 100% of the time, which imo makes the combat much more interesting.
  • There is a skill bar, but its not like WoW or other MMOs where you have special attacks... the abilities that were on the skill bar were just melee attack, ranged attack, defend (idk what this did, never used it), and then you can put spells and potions on there too.
  • I looked but didn't see any "self" magics in the skill trees of the characters I had, but I didn't pay attention to what classes I had in my party. its possible I just didn't have a character who could learn them.
  • No blasters / sci-fi elements.
  • There will be hirelings. You can have two in your party at once. They don't fight with you, just provide your party with a bonus. For a price of course.
sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks great. It's like Grimrock, with true turn based combat (preferable) and a big, varied world. Very, VERY good idea.

This is such a good idea in fact, that it seems like a kickstarter. The fact that somebody, somewhere in a suit actually greenlit this is a great sign for the future of games and RPGs.

Might and Magic was done as a serious AAA contender, but this approach lets it do what it does best, on its own terms. If this gets priced right and is easy to download, I could see a sleeper hit.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Alright, color me stoked for this! I think I'll pick up one of the bundles from GOG later and give 'em a try before this new one comes out.