User Lists: 11

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

That sure is a Paul W S Anderson looking trailer.

Really hoping the military stuff is minimal cause this looks like a really western focused kind of movie.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By vaiz

Oh cool, just what I always wanted from a Monster Hunter movie, modern military hoo-ah characters as the protagonists making modern pop culture references.

I guess the monsters look cool, at least?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@finaldasa said:

That sure is a Paul W S Anderson looking trailer.

Going into this cold, my first guess was Uwe Boll, but they're pretty much the same person in regards to filmmaking and utilizing a Milla Jovovich-esque character, so I basically wasn't wrong.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

The trailer is very serious - if the film proper is as goofy and irreverent as the game then this could work cause the monsters look perfect.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: It's a Paul WS Anderson film. Paul WS Anderson of the Resident Evil film franchise. This movie is going to be 100% dead serious.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaiz said:

@humanity: It's a Paul WS Anderson film. Paul WS Anderson of the Resident Evil film franchise. This movie is going to be 100% dead serious.

Much less dead serious than a Christopher Nolan movie at least. And more playful.

But boy, did he watch some Mad Max: Fury Road!

jazzylament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

They said Palicos and Meowscular Chef are in the film, so there probably is going to be at least some quirkiness, not that you could tell from the trailer. Cowards xD

VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Here's the (better) international trailer, with much more footage of Tony Jaa and proper Monster Hunter stuff.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vincentvendetta: if it’s anything close to the quality of a Nolan movie then I’m all for it.

VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@vincentvendetta: if it’s anything close to the quality of a Nolan movie then I’m all for it.

I rewatched The Dark Knight and Inception this summer; those were the only Nolan movies I liked. And then I realized I didn't like Inception anymore and hated The Dark Knight. Tenet is okay, but that's because it's the first movie of his I can call a "dumb action flick".

I'd still probably take a Nolan movie over the homogenous soup of Marvel, or any wannabe-Nolan (Looking at you, Denis Villeneuve! Fuck you!), but the amount of reverence people have for Nolan is insufferable.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They seem to have gotten the weapons and monsters right, so maybe the sequel might be good?

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vincentvendetta: That does look much bigger and dumber than the US trailer, and I'm actually kind of into it.

martyns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man alive

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By petesix0

So...Google has given me nothing and after rewatching the trailers I feel sure there's no Palico in either of the trailers. Imdb lists an actor for "Palico". I know this might be performance capture or voice acting, but as this actor has no listings on imdb for VA/VO, and is a short actor...Is it possible Paul WS Anderson is the kind of director that chooses to have an actor in a suit playing the Palicos?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vincentvendetta: Inception is really good because there is just enough consistent logic to make the experience rewarding in the end. Tenet is just a tough watch at times.

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now after reading the IGN GR and Eurogamer coverage of the director's quotes on Palicos/Palicoes, I'm not even sure they've said "It's a big cat". These might be Goombas, guys. I mean lol for me being a crazy fuckup later, but...irl Palico might be more than the world is ready for.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh. The alternative take is they follow the games exactly and the characters hunt for sport.

VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petesix0: I'm sure it's a stand-in; someone in a suit who can act opposite the actors, and that they can then improve later in post-prod (and if they can keep the actor's voice instead of dubbing it afterwards, good for them), instead of having just a tennis ball floating in mid-air. Like, you know there was a guy inside R2-D2, right? They didn't actually build an autonomous, fully-functioning robot for Star Wars.

Besides, I just read the director's interview with Polygon, and every design had to be approved by Capcom, so I'm sure they'll be fine. (I particularly like how, after the success of Monster Hunter: World, that so many Hollywood companies tried to get their hands on the licence, only to find it had been locked up for several years!)

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vincentvendetta: Absolutely all of this. I hope I'm wrong I just have a Dander for bad ideas and this got it upupup.

Speaking of ideas that didn't pan out but seemed promising:

No Caption Provided

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Only true Monster Hunter fans will risk getting COVID to see this in theaters.

I've said it before, this looks like dumb fun (this is coming from someone who recently watched all of the live action Resident Evil movies), but god I fucking hate the displaced soldier trope. It's not interesting. At all.

Trust your audience to get invested in the world your movie lives in. It worked for Warcraft.

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been going round in my head for a while, take out the displaced soldier trope(That exists to appeal to the same audience as loves the bad Transformers movies), and I'm not sure how you do it - and be successful. Mainly because while I only know the story beats of MHW and nothing about the earlier games, a movie about a collection of fantasy weapon-equipped warriors chasing monsters to study them by killing them(Slowly) might be a hard sell. Not saying there'd be no market for that, but Tarzan the Captain of the Japanese whaling fleet seems like it would maybe have problems, in places.

Is there a MH game with a less problematic story position for the characters than in World or are they all like that?

(Also this is not me saying there are no good ways to tell stories, my own thought would be make it about a person going on a long, lonely voyage - think climbing the tallest mountain or getting lost in the deepest jungle - and make it without conversation for 30mins+ before shockingly: monsters are real. But I do know that won't sell enough.)

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this looks like absolute shit.

Also in Monster Hunter lore aren’t humans descendants of monsters or something? Can’t believe they’d do me like this.

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only thing that's making this a Monster Hunter movie are the monsters, and I think I saw only two?
It's gonna be faithful to the source material as RE movies were.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why... I don't see any reason why they couldn't just make a movie in the MH universe.. Why include a real-world element and a stupid dimensional portal and a "we gotta get home" plot ?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42 said:

Why... I don't see any reason why they couldn't just make a movie in the MH universe.. Why include a real-world element and a stupid dimensional portal and a "we gotta get home" plot ?

I imagine a real-world thread is a way of giving western casual audiences a bit of rope to get them interested instead of a big crazy monster movie from start to finish. The average movie goer is more inclined to see a real world flick with fantasy elements than go see full anime on screen.

Also as good as the monsters look, to echo @ulfhedinn above.. if Rathalos is the big baddie of the whole flick then man Tony Jaa is a real low level hunter I tell ya what..

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had never heard this story at all personally and I thought I would share for those who don't know about Paul W S Anderson. This is guy sucks to let this happen in the first place, and then he tried to screw this woman out of her money after. And then another guy died on the set of one of the RE movies.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toughshed: This story was pretty big a while back. The stunt actor in question got severely injured on top of losing the arm which is tragic. It is insane that after such a life changing accident the stunt company would try to argue against her. This womans career is basically over and she has, in addition to the loss of an entire arm, severe spinal and nerve damage. Business as usual in the world of business.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I dunno. The biggest movies/franchises over the last 20 years are like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Marvel Universe, Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Wars. Thinking people need a real life hook to come watch seems like a stretch to me =)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: Hmm don't recognize any of those films! Are they foreign?..

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Business as usual in the world of business.

Is it? isn't that why it was a big story? I don't hear about stuff like this much from other directors. Sounds like he's a POS.