• 92 results
JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By JudgeDread

Which is the game you BOUGHT and played in 2008 that you were the most disappointed with?
The game you thought was good but regretted buying.
Demos does not count.

Mine is Civ 4: Colonization.
I find it boring, limited and mundane, compared to Civ 4: BTS which is one of the best games ever made.
And since I bought it on steam my disappointment is greater since I am stuck with the game

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By zitosilva

Wait, it doesn't matter when it came out, just when I bought?

If that's the case, then the most disappointing thing I bought in 08 was Assassin's Creed. God I hate this game.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Spore

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Illmatic

Mine is Lost Odyssey. Reviewers said it was mediocre but I trusted internet message boards and decided to pick it up anyway....why did I not listen. It just wasn't my cup of tea, which makes others calling it the best RPG on the 360 a little disheartening. Hated the characters, the story, and the environments. Only factor that kept me interested was the battle mechanics but that only took me through a couple of discs before I just gave up on it and sold it.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I didn't buy any disappointing games in 2008, however it will always be a year of loss for me, in more ways than one.

It was the year I lost my job, my girl, my apartment and my game collection (I was robbed)  all in the same month. Life is a funny thing, yes?

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zitosilva
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Spore"
I change mine to this.
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By ZombiePie
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Spore"
I agree, that game had so much potential and the pieces for a great game were there, but they never came together. It just felt so watered down and disjointed.
RichieRaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RichieRaw

I wouldn't say it's bad, but most disappointing was PGR4. Got it for a good price at Target, but it just didn't suck me in the way pt. 3 did...wasn't just launch day excitement either, I was still playing it here and there 2yrs later.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By MasturbatingBear

I usually always read reviews before I buy NEW games so I often know what I am getting into. Used games though. Like last January,

Mech Assault the first for xbox :bought it to mod my xbox on a friday only to realize that was not the correct version to mod an xbox with, tried playing it and hated it.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The original game for xbox gamecube ps2, based off of the t.v show. I played it years before and liked it despite most reviews. Traded in Metroid Prime Hunters for it. I liked the game a good amount but then my xbox just stopped reading discs, I can still play games I put on its harddrive but nothing disc.

Advance Wars Days of Ruin: One Full Priced game I bought in 2008, Read reviews seemed awesome, I knew bout its difficulty and figured yeah it would be troublesome but id still like it. I never really played it once I got to hard missions. Cause its just so hard. Got to mission 15, and you rely on an ai to move its units to safety to win. Can never beat it.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By RHCPfan24

Mercs 2.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Mercs 2, Saints Row 2, Far Cry 2, The Last Remnant.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EvilTwin

Probably Too Human.  I liked it, but it couldn't hold up on multiple playthroughs, which is how it was meant to be played.  So, in retrospect, it was kind of broken.  There was also very little difference in how most of the classes played.  The story was a huge letdown as well.  Overall, worth playing, just wish I'd waited until it was cheaper to do so.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By AgentJ

Frankly, i can't think of a game i played in 2008 that was dissapointed with. Almost all of the games i actually bought last year were great, especially TWEWY and Castlevania OOE. BTW I feel for you Bullet Joe. Lost my job too, at Nintendo no less. plus the Seattle sports scene was worth commiting suicide over. 

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Megalon

The only game that came to mind immediately was Spore. I really wanted to like that damn game, but it just didn't happen.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_

Either Far Cry 2 or Prince of Persia.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187

I have to say that I personally didn't purchase any bad games in 2008.  Maybe it's because I'm very selective about what I BUY.  I'll rent just about anything, and given where I work, I don't have to rent or buy that many.  However, my "bought" list for last year is short and sweet:

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Left 4 Dead
Fallout 3
Warhammer Online (which I didn't stick with, but it's still an awesome game)

...and that's it.  I enjoyed every one of them and thought they were excellent.
granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By granderojo

Fallout 3 and Super Smash Bros.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By Knives

Fallout 3. I was going to say Metal Gear Solid, but I knew what I was getting in to, so disappointing isn't the right word.

supercubedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By supercubedude

Fallout 3 and Spore.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Crono11

Mine is easily Call of Duty World at War. It was so disappointing to me. I played it for about a week and then went back to Call of Duty 4 and wished I hadn't spent my $60.

TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGodPoet

Easily WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shadows_kill

gta4 one of the worst games i remember playing.....

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23  Edited By dsplayer1010

Spore

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hexpane

Madden 09 - they turned it into an arcadey bunch of nonsense all for the sake of a new animation system

GTA4 is a close 2nd.  It's not like I don't like it.  But I *loved* GTA:SA.  GTA4 was like.. ok I guess I need to take this annoying douchebag bowling?

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tebbit

I guess Spore

BUT: Can I say Linger in Shadows?
It has no right being called a game, but it cost like $4.95, it was released on PSN, and you pressed buttons on the controller which occasionally caused things to happen. Close enough, and it was worse than being fucked in the face by a hammer.
Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Maru

Gears of War for PC, which I purchased early 2008.

This game is so boring and dull, that I still have not beaten it yet. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tebbit said:
, and it was worse than being fucked in the face by a hammer.
"
You obviously haven`t seen the ukraine hammer murder video.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheGreatGuero

None. After Super Mario Galaxy being my most disappointing game purchase of 2007, I decided that in 2008 I would make sure I played every game before buying it to prevent that sort of thing from happening again.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ImpendingFoil

Warhammer Online.

I really loved this game and would have stuck with it had my server and guild not crumpled up and died within the first month.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jayge said:
"Either Far Cry 2 or Prince of Persia.
"
Really?  I thought you loved Far Cry 2. 
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jayge_
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Jayge said:
"Either Far Cry 2 or Prince of Persia.
"
Really?  I thought you loved Far Cry 2. 
"
I do. The parts of it that are playable. Unfortunately, as you progress through the game, this turns out to be a pretty low percentage of parts.
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Games I bought in 2008: (All of these games I got for PS3)

Oblivion
Motorstorm
Fallout 3
Unreal Tournament 3
Assassins Creed
Mortal Kombat VS Dc Universe

The only one I was disappointed in was UT3. The game mechanics were decent, and the weapons were varied, but the online community was about as lively as a graveyard, and there weren't enough weapons in my opinion. The campaign failed to keep me interested beyond learning the basics of each weapon and game type. I still haven't finished the single player in that game. I would, I just have no desire too. Big disappointment considering I was genuinely excited about the online portion of the game. 
Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By Serker

I bought Counterstrike on a whim for Steam and its not too great... and STALKER like Jeff did for $5... played it for a few minutes and decided it wasnt for me. Gears of War 2 i regretted for the first month of owning it but now its growing on me. Fallout 3 was disappointing in comparison to my Oblivion sized expectations.

Also, Shadowrun. For like $5.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By c1337us

Glad to hear that I am not the only one here that was prepared to choose Fallout 3. Hands down choice for me as it was my most anticipated release all year after we all got done with Metal Gear Solid 4, so I was hyping myself for it for a long time and I barely played it in the end.

The obvious choices like Too Human and FRACTURE I didnt really consider because I did expect anything out of them going in. So in those cases I was pleasantly suprised to find that I enjoyed them, as was the case with Kane and Lynch.

The runner up most disapointing game I would give to Condemned 2. Only because it wasnt as good as the original in my eyes and it completely went off the boil by the end of the game. Edit: I totally forgot to include Far Cry 2 here.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Unreal tournament 3
It was total shit I expected better from epic.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By Karmum

I found Fable II to be a bit underwhelming, perhaps I just had too much hype for the game. I purchased very few games in 2008, so it was kind of hard to pick which one. Gears of War 2 might be up there, since I really don't play it much anymore, and in my opinion, haven't had the fun I did in the original game.

Monkeymantjg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Monkeymantjg

Frontlines: Fuel of War  ...............

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JudgeDread
ImpendingFoil said:
"Warhammer Online.

I really loved this game and would have stuck with it had my server and guild not crumpled up and died within the first month."
oh... yes I forgot about this.
pretty good game (at least potentially) but severely lacking in the PvE and exploration department. I did not continue after the trial month due to this.
though I wish they would import the party mechanics,  RvR and PvP from this game into WOW
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Monkeymantjg said:
"Frontlines: Fuel of War  ...............
"
agreed with that too that game was total shit.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Advanced Wars Day of Ruin.

They had such a good thing going.

All they had to do was make some new maps and add online play.

Why Advanced Wars? Why did you forsake me so!

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Fallout 3 and Resistance 2.  But Res. 2 was a gift.  But I still regret asking for it.  Fallout 3 is ok, just failed at what it wanted to be.  Res. 2 was just horrible on all levels.  I straight up hate that game now.  Main reason I am waiting to buy anything PS3 exclusive.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42  Edited By kush

I would have to say Far Cry 2 out of all the games I purchased new last year...I was extremely disappointed with that game, which may be associated with playing it on the 360 over the PC.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Snail

I have to say... Sonic Unleashed. I kinda had hopes for that game. Kinda. Kiinndaaaa.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By penguindust
SathingtonWaltz said:
"Games I bought in 2008: (All of these games I got for PS3)

The only one I was disappointed in was UT3. The game mechanics were decent, and the weapons were varied, but the online community was about as lively as a graveyard, and there weren't enough weapons in my opinion. The campaign failed to keep me interested beyond learning the basics of each weapon and game type. I still haven't finished the single player in that game. I would, I just have no desire too. Big disappointment considering I was genuinely excited about the online portion of the game."
I agree with you 100%.  I was excited by the idea of downloading new maps and seeing what the user created content might look like, but except for a few sites [http://www.ut3mod.com/] it was hard to find and lacking compared to previous UT community support.  I see now the Epic is releasing a big addon pack (free, I hope), but I wonder if I will take the time to dig it out of my collection, download the new mods, and see what's what with it all.  Do I really want to invest that time on something I found to be lackluster and empty?
ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShiroMe

GTA 4 got me physically angry. How could they screw up on so many things? You would think by chance that they would get at least one thing right.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By super_machine

Far Cry 2 above all.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#47  Edited By citizenkane

I didn't buy that many games last year, so I selected wisely.  The game I played the least, though, was Civilization Revolution.  It's a good game, but didn't keep my attention long.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Steve_C

These days i only buy games after a lot of research, so i usually enjoy whatever i buy. While i didn't find it disappointing as such, i'd say Advance Wars: Days of Ruin.

I ended up not being too bothered about the change of art style which i thought i would, and the gameplay was solid as ever. It was just overly difficult. I got stuck on like the 20/21st mission and haven't played it since. I was also wished that they had kept in the RPG-lite elements from dual strike. That said, I really want to go back to it at some point. I hate having unfinished games.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Alex_V

Not one single dud for me last year - just double-checked my shelf. It's credit to reviews like those found on Giant Bomb for steering me clear of disappointments. If I really had to pick a game I would choose Prince Of Persia, but I enjoyed that nonetheless.

Some of the nominations here are games that I absolutely adored, so if anyone wants my advice (which they don't) they should re-play some of these games and WAKE UP! Fable II, GTA 4, Counter-Strike - wonderful games.

LuchaDeerFear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LuchaDeerFear

Definitely Lost Odyssey. Had been hearing it was the best RPG for the 360 at the time. Too bad that didn't mean much. The 30 second delay between getting into a random battle and actually starting it is what mostly killed it for me. Also not a fan of the boss fights which required a ton of retries.