Multiple Sources: Super Mario Remakes Coming to Switch in 2020

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Multiple sources, between EuroGamer, Video Games Chronicle, Gematsu, and Venturebeat have all heard and confirmed the same things. That is to say in 2020, the Nintendo Switch will have multiple Super Mario remasters for the Switch. The rumour seems to state that most of the main Super Mario games will be remastered, to coincide with the 35th anniversary of the series. The list so far confirmed by the above sources include:

• Super Mario 64
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Super Mario 3D World

The articles also mention that a new Paper Mario is also in the works.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

still think mario galaxy doesnt get enough love. 1 and 2. spoiler...........ending with the entire reset ect. The game is creative and fun.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By liquiddragon

Sunshine doesn’t get enough love...cuz it doesn’t deserve it.

Glad 3D World is finally getting the port.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

My 5 year old will freak the fuck out if any of this is true. I'll get all the games just for the kids. Not the biggest Mario guy myself.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So awesome. Didn't own a Wii or a Wii U so I'm very excited to finally get to try these out. I doubt they'll do it but imagine all these games in one box a la Super Mario All Stars.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By liquiddragon

@chango: I feel like at least some of these games might be packaged up. It’s so unlike Nintendo to blow their load like this, usually they stretch out their releases to maximize the potential profit. It’s a tough ask to expect ppl to buy all these individually. If it’s about celebrating 35th anniversary, it makes sense to provide some kind of bundle. Of course 3D World Deluxe will be sold standalone.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigsocrates  Online

I would buy all of these, though not if each is $60. I wonder if they're going to do a full remake of Mario 64 or just do an upscale and HDification. I think a full remake in the Odyssey engine would be pretty amazing and they already have some of the assets for the hub world (not that the game is that big by modern standards.) If they do just do an uprez I hope they fix the camera and some of the jank. That game is an amazing classic but it was also a very early 3D game and it is showing its age a lot more than something like Sunshine or Galaxy, even though Sunshine is only like 6 years newer. That was a huge 6 years.

I know people are getting tired of the Switch as a port machine, and it's definitely an issue, but right now with everything going on I would love some more Nintendo nostalgia and the cheery upbeat worlds of Mario would hit the spot perfectly. Of course by the time this comes out the Coronavirus might not be as big an issue, but man if I could snag HD versions of Galaxy 1 and 2 right now I'd definitely start playing through them tonight.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe this is controversial but this is entirely too much Mario.

I'd play Galaxy again though.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Galaxy is utterly fantastic and I can’t wait to play it and the sequel again.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Nice to hear that these rumours mention a possible return of Paper Mario. It's been a dark time for Nintendo RPGs. Let me break it down:

Mario & Luigi: AlphaDream decided to make 2 different remakes on 3DS instead of making a new game, and subsequently filed for bankruptcy. Their last new game was 2015's Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, followed by 2017's Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions (3DS remake of a GBA game), then 2019's Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey (3DS remake of a DS game). Releasing a 3DS game in 2019 was honestly a pretty crazy business move, but I wonder how many 3DS-centric developers had trouble scaling up their development studio to the Switch's specs, so maybe this was the best they could do with the resources they had. Sadly, the series is way too niche to try to do a victory-lap-easy-sales remake. I assume both remakes were probably losses for the studio, given that anecdotally I don't know anyone in person or in games journalism who talked about buying them at all. fwiw, Bowser's Inside Story is quite funny, and the core concept of being inside Bowser and the assorted goofs make it pretty much the pinnacle of the series.

Paper Mario: There hasn't been a truly good Paper Mario since 2004's Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. 2007's Super Paper Mario is a poor gameplay concept that, to their credit, they lavished with as much production value as possible, but it's fundamentally a really dull platformer, though at times the writing and world design still have the flair of TTYD. I have no firsthand account of 2012's Paper Mario: Sticker Star and 2016's Paper Mario: Color Splash, because the combat system looked abysmal and I didn't really care for the way they tried to rebrand the series as papercraft by really playing up the "everything is paper!" angle, and having stickers and real-world objects all over the place.

So I look forward to any kind of improvement on either of these series on the Switch, because it's been pretty rough for quite a few years.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would be very happy to have an easy way to play Mario 64 and 3D World again. Galaxy and Galaxy 2 without Wiimote/Nunchuk controls, even more so.