Notorious BoG's best games of 2008 A.D.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Edited By BoG

Live from Salt Lake City, it's BoG's favorite games of the year 2008!

To begin, I just have to say that this year has been the bomb. Plenty of excellent video games were released, and somewhere in the middle, the world's greatest video gaming community (GiantBomb) was established. I must say, I've had more fun banning noobs and putting all of you in your places then actually playing video games! Ok, just kidding. It's been an honor to serve this community, which only gets better every single day.
Anyways, back to gaming. Personally, I anticipated one of the greatest years for gaming ever. Smash Bros. Brawl, GTAIV, Metal Gear Solid 4.... How could those established names, in addition to new stuff like No More Heroes, ever disappoint? Well, at least for me, the big names were the ones that disappointed, despite how much I loved the year. It wasn't the established franchises, rather, it was all of the new stuff that I really loved this year.  Here are my top 10 games, in a traditional, ordered fashion. Let me tell you, it was not easy to pick:

It still isn't better then this game
10. Fallout 3

"But BoG, you HATE Fallout 3 and everyone knows you hate it!" I don't hate it, ok! I just thought it was overrated, and that many publications failed to even notice certain aspects of Fallout 3 that would have been the downfall of every other game. If I've learned anything this year, though, its that a game can be clunky and anticlimactic, yet still tons of fun. Bethesda are masters of the open world, which really is what makes this game great. I can leave the vault and walk to my distant left, and I'll find tons of stuff to do. In most games, I tend to stick to the path I'm supposed to follow, but I'd often find my self miles off course in Fallout 3 because I saw a house, then saw another, then saw some kid, and wound up exterminating a colony of ants all day. When I try to get back on track, I just end up deep underground in a raider facility, trading junk with some guy before I kill him to see what he has in his locker that is so important that he must threaten me when I look at it. Few games can truly be so open, yet so fun at the same time. Games don't have to be perfect to be a blast, and Fallout 3 is a testament to this.

Things tend to get hectic in TWEWY

9. The World Ends With You

I don't know how the gaming world missed a brand new SquareEnix IP illustrated by Tetsuya Nomura. It had everything fanboys desire: Boring, angsty main characters (Squall, Sora, Vaan, Cloud, Tidus), brainless bros (Zell, Wakka) , and a giddy chick ( Yuffie, Selphie, Kairi, Rikku, Penelo). Of course, I think I know what was ultimately the game's downfall: Each of the characters turned out to have another side to them, and were well developed as the game progressed. It also had other, unique characters unlike those in any other game, all of whom were great. It also has an innovative battle system utilizing every aspect of the DS' functionality, and innovated the RPG genre in many other, progressive ways. TWEWY is not like any other RPG or game before it, and does so much new, and each aspect is brilliant.
    I guess those who love Nomura's past works just aren't big fans of new, original, and great games. Whatever, I guess, because I absolutely loved The World Ends With You.

8. Left 4 Dead

caption
caption

I'm really happy that Valve continues to innovate and create new IPs, because in their postion, they could just sit back ala Blizzard and milk their established titles. Half-Life, Counter Strike, and others are among the most beloved franchises in gaming, yet Valve makes something new like Left 4 Dead. Everyone at Valve: I love you. Please, continue to make fantastic, original games. I will buy them all without much thought, really.
    Alright, I feel like I need to talk about Left 4 Dead, not it's developer. L4D is the best thing to happen to multiplayer since Team Fortress 2 (thank you again, Valve) and has nailed down the co-op formula. L4D performs some kind of sick witchcraft which resulted in cooperation between a totally legit player named "Gunitpimp69420," some potty-mouthed nerd, a ten year old, a very bitter young woman, and myself. In any other game, we'd probably have ended up hating each other, but in L4D, we communicated to become an effective zombie eradicating machine. Ok, that is a bit of an exxageration, but the fact that so many pick up groups proved to be effective in this game amazed me. Not only that, but each fantastic zombie saying scenario was a blast to play, the game is brilliantly balanced, and the AI director never pulls the same moves twice. Valve has once again masterfully designed a video game that we'll all be playing two generations from now.

I HATE THAT FLOWER
I HATE THAT FLOWER

7. Mega Man 9

Who would have thought, a new entry in the Mega Man series, actually good. In fact, who could have imagined a new NES game would be any good? Mega Man 9 does the unthinkable, revitalizing a tired franchise with a HUGE step backwards. Mega Man 9 is more then simpyl nostalgia, and luckily for all of us, the folks at Capcom knew they'd need a superior product to win back gamer's hearts. Mega Man 9 is a game with superior level design, great bosses, and tons of content. Each version has a number of achievements, which for me were more fun to achieve then many in other games. Mega Man 9 is packed with features, with bonus levels, time trials, and leaderboards. But, what matters most, Mega Man 9 is controller-throwingly diffcult old school gaming at its finest. I loved every minute of it.

It does not get any better than this, folks.

6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Super Smash Bros. Brawl breaks no new ground, revolutionizes nothing, and is not overly complex or deep. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is just a really fun game to play both casually and competitively. There are loads of options, items, and characters providing endless ways to enjoy yourself. Each level is masterfully crafted, each with its own quirks. The roster is robust, yet has been wisely selected. I'm very happy that Nitendo has not made the game a poorly made, unbalanced mishmash of every character to ever grace a console. Fortunately, the designers at Sakurai have hand picked the most important and most creative characters and put them together to form a great game. I also loved the soundtrack, perhaps the greatest compilation of video game tunes ever. From parties to tournements, there is so much fun to be had with Brawl, and I mad the most of it this year.

5. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

That Sneaking suit must be really warm. I wish I had one to wear skiing.
    Undoubtedly my most anticipated title of 2008, it probably wouldn't be this high on my list of this low if I wasn't an absolute Solid Snake fanboy. Metal Gear Solid 4 plays fantastic, it surprised me how many actions Kojima Productions fit on a single controller. Technically, the game is unmatched with breathtaking graphics, emotional character expressions, brilliant sound, and tight mechanics. The game is varied with a fantastic mix of stealth, shooting, and all sorts of other scenarios. When it comes down to it, Metal Gear Solid 4 is a design masterpiece.
    Unfortunately, it was a total letdown for a huge MGS fan. Granted, it was still a blast, but in my eyes it will never surpass the previous three titles. There is more run and gun then a stealth title should have, and the game relies too much and large scale battles for gameplay. As much as it relies on those big battles, however, it relies even more on the previous games for content.  MGS 4 is essentially a fanservice, with old environments returning for gameplay sequences, old friends making appearances, and old enemies giving Snake a hard time. My biggest complaint is it's reliance on the past, and because of it, it fails to create new memories. I was also reminded that some things are better left as mysteries, and I will forever curse nanomachines, MGS4's answer to ABSOLUTELY EVERY QUESTION. For me, the game was more of a reminder of how great previous MGS games were instead of a new experience to cherish. 
    Oh, and I absolutely love Metal Gear Online.

I hate those wolves.
I hate those wolves.

4. Professor Layton and the Curious Village

I don't know what pushed me to buy Professor Layton. It must have been some unseen force, and I must thank that force, because I adore Professor Layton. Everything about it. How in the world did no one come up with this concept before now? An adventure game full of riddles and puzzles! Fortunately, the concept works best on the DS, the home of Layton and his assistant, Luke. The game tells the story of these two and their adventures in St. Mystere, a very odd little hamlet full of folks who can't get enough puzzles. Layton and Luke are tasked with finding the town's best kept secret, but end up uncovering a whole lot more. The story is remarkable, not anything like what I was expecting, and doesn't leave any question unanswered, even explaining the obsession everyone has with puzzles.
    The puzzles in the game are unique and varied, always fresh along the way. The few repeats are welcome, and only the best puzzles tend to have siblings. Both the Puzzle and Adventure genres are a dying breed these days, yet hybrids such as Professor Layton are keeping both alive. Layton is a game everyone can enjoy, and something everyone should have. You won't see the end of the games many puzzles, or how much fun you're having.

I don't think I'll ever forget this scene
3. Prince of Persia

When Prince of Persia was first shown, I recall it being met with much animostity. No one wanted more Prince after Warrior Within, nobody wanted lame cel shaded graphics, and nobody wanted a series reboot only three years after the last entry was released. I wasn't a part of this group however, and I was excited what looked to be a magnificent game with gorgeous artwork. I was not, however, expecting what turned out to be one of my favorite titles this year. 
    Many others before me have described the game as an "experience," and I couldn't agree more. Prince of Persia is not about difficulty, it isn't about precision, it is about flowing movements, wonderful landscapes, edge-of-your-seat battles... It's quite different then gaming's standard fare, this many lives and you die, jump precisely here or die! In fact, Prince of Persia may benefit from guiding players through the platforming elements, because another title released this year, Mirror's Edge, became unfun after so many perfectly executed jumps that were centimeters off. Prince of Persia truly is a game you must play all the way through, and the ride is a lot of fun.

I really wish that I studied as much in real life as I did in Persona.
2. Persona 4/ Persona 3: F.E.S.

I hate pairing games up, but the two are so similar, I said to heck with it. Not only that, but I didn't want to put an expanded version of a game from 2007 so high on the list. Whatever, all I know is that I've spent around 150 hours (combined) playing these two games, and I've loved them all. For those of you not familiar with the series, first: shame on you; and second: go play them now. The games are an RPG/dating sim hybrid, and one that works tremendously well. Your first impression may be"It's a dating sim? ICK!" However, I assure you that the DS elements in Persona are not boring, are not lame, and, in fact, are tied into the games quite well. You must establish and build friendships to increase your efficiency in battle. Those battles, I might add, are great fun thanks to a tremendous battle system.
    Both games have their merits, including excellent characters, fascinating stories, tons of hours of gameplay, and a stylish presentation. To give you an idea of how much fun I've had with these games, I had to tear myself away from P4 to come and write this, and I'll probably play it all night once I'm finished. Some of you may not like JRPGs, or the RPG genre to begin with. You're missing out.

The beginning of a magnificent journey

1. Braid

I first made my top 10 list at work on a receipt, listing Prince of Persia as my favorite game. As I looked it over, it just didn't feel right. Prince of Persia was everything I wanted in a game: Good story, great 
music... it was another example of "games as art" that I just couldn't ignore. For some reason, however, I just couldn't do it. As I pondered why, it finally hit me: I enjoyed Prince of Persia for the same reasons as I enjoyed Braid. When I thought about both games, though, I realized that I had simply had more fun playing Braid then Prince of Persia or anything else this year. Why had I not selected it in the first place? Well, it is because Braid doesn't have the big budget, the hype, or anything that so many other titles have. Quite simply, Braid is just a brilliant game.
    As I'm sure you have heard from so many others, Braid is a game that ties every aspect of story and gameplay together. You simply couldn't read Braid as a book; to grasp the concepts presented in the game, you need to play it, you must experience it, making the story and gameplay more engrossing. To enhance the game even further, the gameplay aspects and puzzles are all absolutely brilliant. Each one will not fail to satisfy, and by the end of the game, you can't help but pat yourself on the back.
    Yes, the graphics, the sound, everything about Braid isn't quite next gen, however, the most important part is that the package as a whole makes for an ingenius, progressive game title. For these rasons, Braid is my top title of 2008. I'd also like to say kudos to my fellow moderator Oni, because he's the one who convinced me to get it.

Other Awards

I've always been a fan of stupid awards like "Best ______," so I just had to do a few my self.

Best Story:

Professor Layton and the Curious Village
    I don't know why this game hasn't gotten any story nods, because personally, I found that it was one of the most engaging, well written stories in a long time. It's fun, and surprisingly dark, packed full of twists.

Best graphics:

Prince of Persia
    This is a completely arbitrary graphical award, because technology doesn't matter if it doesn't look good. Prince of Persia has the most gorgeous visuals since Okami. Some dude said in one of the developer diaries that the team wanted to make the game look like the concept art. They accomplished that goal, and then some.
On trial
On trial

Best "Old School" game:

Chrono Trigger
    This award goes to my favorite port of the year, whether it was on a download service or a portable system. Remakes are not eligible, however, expansions are. Chrono Trigger wins because it is a fantastic game that I was able to experience for the first time. I loved the characters, gameplay, and everything about the title.

Game that I most wanted to play but never got around to:

Sins of a Solar Empire
    I love GalCiv, but just couldn't get a chance to buy and play Sins. Someday, hopefully.

Best New Character:

Sylvia, No More Heroes
    It has nothing to do with the fact that she is a hot french babe, and more to do with the fact that she uses this brilliantly to manipulate Travis Touchdown throughout NMH. I am 1,000% certain that there was not a more creative character this year. Trust your force, and enter the garden of MADNESS!

Game that made me feel like a girl:

LittleBigPlanet
    Can't...stop...accessorizing! I must have new duds for my ADORABLE sackperson!

Age of Booty: one of the few places you'll find so many dudes seeking Big wood.

Game I most enjoyed playing with fellow GiantBombers:

Age of Booty
    Sweep, I'll never forget all all that pillaging, plundering, and raping. 
    Oh, and playing Age of Booty, too.

Most important lesson I learned while gaming:

Persona 3/4; Chrono Trigger
    The absolute most effective way to be considered an honest, open, kind, respectable gentlemen, get dates with whatever girl you want, and make tons of friends is to hardly ever speak.

Biggest disappointment that wasn't Metal Gear:

Mirror's Edge
    There was so much potential, unfortunately, it didn't all fall in to place.

Other games I just feel like I have to mention for no good reason:

Fable II
    Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift

Thank you so much for reading! I truly do appreciate the time you gave to even browse over my selections. I hope we can have another great year here at GiantBomb, building wikis and communities along the way.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BoG

Live from Salt Lake City, it's BoG's favorite games of the year 2008!

To begin, I just have to say that this year has been the bomb. Plenty of excellent video games were released, and somewhere in the middle, the world's greatest video gaming community (GiantBomb) was established. I must say, I've had more fun banning noobs and putting all of you in your places then actually playing video games! Ok, just kidding. It's been an honor to serve this community, which only gets better every single day.
Anyways, back to gaming. Personally, I anticipated one of the greatest years for gaming ever. Smash Bros. Brawl, GTAIV, Metal Gear Solid 4.... How could those established names, in addition to new stuff like No More Heroes, ever disappoint? Well, at least for me, the big names were the ones that disappointed, despite how much I loved the year. It wasn't the established franchises, rather, it was all of the new stuff that I really loved this year.  Here are my top 10 games, in a traditional, ordered fashion. Let me tell you, it was not easy to pick:

10. Fallout 3

"But BoG, you HATE Fallout 3 and everyone knows you hate it!" I don't hate it, ok! I just thought it was overrated, and that many publications failed to even notice certain aspects of Fallout 3 that would have been the downfall of every other game. If I've learned anything this year, though, its that a game can be clunky and anticlimactic, yet still tons of fun. Bethesda are masters of the open world, which really is what makes this game great. I can leave the vault and walk to my distant left, and I'll find tons of stuff to do. In most games, I tend to stick to the path I'm supposed to follow, but I'd often find my self miles off course in Fallout 3 because I saw a house, then saw another, then saw some kid, and wound up exterminating a colony of ants all day. When I try to get back on track, I just end up deep underground in a raider facility, trading junk with some guy before I kill him to see what he has in his locker that is so important that he must threaten me when I look at it. Few games can truly be so open, yet so fun at the same time. Games don't have to be perfect to be a blast, and Fallout 3 is a testament to this.

9. The World Ends With You

I don't know how the gaming world missed a brand new SquareEnix IP illustrated by Tetsuya Nomura. It had everything fanboys desire: Boring, angsty main characters (Squall, Sora, Vaan, Cloud, Tidus), brainless bros (Zell, Wakka) , and a giddy chick ( Yuffie, Selphie, Kairi, Rikku, Penelo). Of course, I think I know what was ultimately the game's downfall: Each of the characters turned out to have another side to them, and were well developed as the game progressed. It also had other, unique characters unlike those in any other game, all of whom were great. It also has an innovative battle system utilizing every aspect of the DS' functionality, and innovated the RPG genre in many other, progressive ways. TWEWY is not like any other RPG or game before it, and does so much new, and each aspect is brilliant.
    I guess those who love Nomura's past works just aren't big fans of new, original, and great games. Whatever, I guess, because I absolutely loved The World Ends With You.

8. Left 4 Dead

caption
caption

I'm really happy that Valve continues to innovate and create new IPs, because in their postion, they could just sit back ala Blizzard and milk their established titles. Half-Life, Counter Strike, and others are among the most beloved franchises in gaming, yet Valve makes something new like Left 4 Dead. Everyone at Valve: I love you. Please, continue to make fantastic, original games. I will buy them all without much thought, really.
    Alright, I feel like I need to talk about Left 4 Dead, not it's developer. L4D is the best thing to happen to multiplayer since Team Fortress 2 (thank you again, Valve) and has nailed down the co-op formula. L4D performs some kind of sick witchcraft which resulted in cooperation between a totally legit player named "Gunitpimp69420," some potty-mouthed nerd, a ten year old, a very bitter young woman, and myself. In any other game, we'd probably have ended up hating each other, but in L4D, we communicated to become an effective zombie eradicating machine. Ok, that is a bit of an exxageration, but the fact that so many pick up groups proved to be effective in this game amazed me. Not only that, but each fantastic zombie saying scenario was a blast to play, the game is brilliantly balanced, and the AI director never pulls the same moves twice. Valve has once again masterfully designed a video game that we'll all be playing two generations from now.

I HATE THAT FLOWER
I HATE THAT FLOWER

7. Mega Man 9

Who would have thought, a new entry in the Mega Man series, actually good. In fact, who could have imagined a new NES game would be any good? Mega Man 9 does the unthinkable, revitalizing a tired franchise with a HUGE step backwards. Mega Man 9 is more then simpyl nostalgia, and luckily for all of us, the folks at Capcom knew they'd need a superior product to win back gamer's hearts. Mega Man 9 is a game with superior level design, great bosses, and tons of content. Each version has a number of achievements, which for me were more fun to achieve then many in other games. Mega Man 9 is packed with features, with bonus levels, time trials, and leaderboards. But, what matters most, Mega Man 9 is controller-throwingly diffcult old school gaming at its finest. I loved every minute of it.

6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Super Smash Bros. Brawl breaks no new ground, revolutionizes nothing, and is not overly complex or deep. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is just a really fun game to play both casually and competitively. There are loads of options, items, and characters providing endless ways to enjoy yourself. Each level is masterfully crafted, each with its own quirks. The roster is robust, yet has been wisely selected. I'm very happy that Nitendo has not made the game a poorly made, unbalanced mishmash of every character to ever grace a console. Fortunately, the designers at Sakurai have hand picked the most important and most creative characters and put them together to form a great game. I also loved the soundtrack, perhaps the greatest compilation of video game tunes ever. From parties to tournements, there is so much fun to be had with Brawl, and I mad the most of it this year.

5. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Undoubtedly my most anticipated title of 2008, it probably wouldn't be this high on my list of this low if I wasn't an absolute Solid Snake fanboy. Metal Gear Solid 4 plays fantastic, it surprised me how many actions Kojima Productions fit on a single controller. Technically, the game is unmatched with breathtaking graphics, emotional character expressions, brilliant sound, and tight mechanics. The game is varied with a fantastic mix of stealth, shooting, and all sorts of other scenarios. When it comes down to it, Metal Gear Solid 4 is a design masterpiece.
    Unfortunately, it was a total letdown for a huge MGS fan. Granted, it was still a blast, but in my eyes it will never surpass the previous three titles. There is more run and gun then a stealth title should have, and the game relies too much and large scale battles for gameplay. As much as it relies on those big battles, however, it relies even more on the previous games for content.  MGS 4 is essentially a fanservice, with old environments returning for gameplay sequences, old friends making appearances, and old enemies giving Snake a hard time. My biggest complaint is it's reliance on the past, and because of it, it fails to create new memories. I was also reminded that some things are better left as mysteries, and I will forever curse nanomachines, MGS4's answer to ABSOLUTELY EVERY QUESTION. For me, the game was more of a reminder of how great previous MGS games were instead of a new experience to cherish. 
    Oh, and I absolutely love Metal Gear Online.

I hate those wolves.
I hate those wolves.

4. Professor Layton and the Curious Village

I don't know what pushed me to buy Professor Layton. It must have been some unseen force, and I must thank that force, because I adore Professor Layton. Everything about it. How in the world did no one come up with this concept before now? An adventure game full of riddles and puzzles! Fortunately, the concept works best on the DS, the home of Layton and his assistant, Luke. The game tells the story of these two and their adventures in St. Mystere, a very odd little hamlet full of folks who can't get enough puzzles. Layton and Luke are tasked with finding the town's best kept secret, but end up uncovering a whole lot more. The story is remarkable, not anything like what I was expecting, and doesn't leave any question unanswered, even explaining the obsession everyone has with puzzles.
    The puzzles in the game are unique and varied, always fresh along the way. The few repeats are welcome, and only the best puzzles tend to have siblings. Both the Puzzle and Adventure genres are a dying breed these days, yet hybrids such as Professor Layton are keeping both alive. Layton is a game everyone can enjoy, and something everyone should have. You won't see the end of the games many puzzles, or how much fun you're having.

3. Prince of Persia

When Prince of Persia was first shown, I recall it being met with much animostity. No one wanted more Prince after Warrior Within, nobody wanted lame cel shaded graphics, and nobody wanted a series reboot only three years after the last entry was released. I wasn't a part of this group however, and I was excited what looked to be a magnificent game with gorgeous artwork. I was not, however, expecting what turned out to be one of my favorite titles this year. 
    Many others before me have described the game as an "experience," and I couldn't agree more. Prince of Persia is not about difficulty, it isn't about precision, it is about flowing movements, wonderful landscapes, edge-of-your-seat battles... It's quite different then gaming's standard fare, this many lives and you die, jump precisely here or die! In fact, Prince of Persia may benefit from guiding players through the platforming elements, because another title released this year, Mirror's Edge, became unfun after so many perfectly executed jumps that were centimeters off. Prince of Persia truly is a game you must play all the way through, and the ride is a lot of fun.

2. Persona 4/ Persona 3: F.E.S.

I hate pairing games up, but the two are so similar, I said to heck with it. Not only that, but I didn't want to put an expanded version of a game from 2007 so high on the list. Whatever, all I know is that I've spent around 150 hours (combined) playing these two games, and I've loved them all. For those of you not familiar with the series, first: shame on you; and second: go play them now. The games are an RPG/dating sim hybrid, and one that works tremendously well. Your first impression may be"It's a dating sim? ICK!" However, I assure you that the DS elements in Persona are not boring, are not lame, and, in fact, are tied into the games quite well. You must establish and build friendships to increase your efficiency in battle. Those battles, I might add, are great fun thanks to a tremendous battle system.
    Both games have their merits, including excellent characters, fascinating stories, tons of hours of gameplay, and a stylish presentation. To give you an idea of how much fun I've had with these games, I had to tear myself away from P4 to come and write this, and I'll probably play it all night once I'm finished. Some of you may not like JRPGs, or the RPG genre to begin with. You're missing out.

1. Braid

I first made my top 10 list at work on a receipt, listing Prince of Persia as my favorite game. As I looked it over, it just didn't feel right. Prince of Persia was everything I wanted in a game: Good story, great 
music... it was another example of "games as art" that I just couldn't ignore. For some reason, however, I just couldn't do it. As I pondered why, it finally hit me: I enjoyed Prince of Persia for the same reasons as I enjoyed Braid. When I thought about both games, though, I realized that I had simply had more fun playing Braid then Prince of Persia or anything else this year. Why had I not selected it in the first place? Well, it is because Braid doesn't have the big budget, the hype, or anything that so many other titles have. Quite simply, Braid is just a brilliant game.
    As I'm sure you have heard from so many others, Braid is a game that ties every aspect of story and gameplay together. You simply couldn't read Braid as a book; to grasp the concepts presented in the game, you need to play it, you must experience it, making the story and gameplay more engrossing. To enhance the game even further, the gameplay aspects and puzzles are all absolutely brilliant. Each one will not fail to satisfy, and by the end of the game, you can't help but pat yourself on the back.
    Yes, the graphics, the sound, everything about Braid isn't quite next gen, however, the most important part is that the package as a whole makes for an ingenius, progressive game title. For these rasons, Braid is my top title of 2008. I'd also like to say kudos to my fellow moderator Oni, because he's the one who convinced me to get it.

Other Awards

I've always been a fan of stupid awards like "Best ______," so I just had to do a few my self.

Best Story:

Professor Layton and the Curious Village
    I don't know why this game hasn't gotten any story nods, because personally, I found that it was one of the most engaging, well written stories in a long time. It's fun, and surprisingly dark, packed full of twists.

Best graphics:

Prince of Persia
    This is a completely arbitrary graphical award, because technology doesn't matter if it doesn't look good. Prince of Persia has the most gorgeous visuals since Okami. Some dude said in one of the developer diaries that the team wanted to make the game look like the concept art. They accomplished that goal, and then some.
On trial
On trial

Best "Old School" game:

Chrono Trigger
    This award goes to my favorite port of the year, whether it was on a download service or a portable system. Remakes are not eligible, however, expansions are. Chrono Trigger wins because it is a fantastic game that I was able to experience for the first time. I loved the characters, gameplay, and everything about the title.

Game that I most wanted to play but never got around to:

Sins of a Solar Empire
    I love GalCiv, but just couldn't get a chance to buy and play Sins. Someday, hopefully.

Best New Character:

Sylvia, No More Heroes
    It has nothing to do with the fact that she is a hot french babe, and more to do with the fact that she uses this brilliantly to manipulate Travis Touchdown throughout NMH. I am 1,000% certain that there was not a more creative character this year. Trust your force, and enter the garden of MADNESS!

Game that made me feel like a girl:

LittleBigPlanet
    Can't...stop...accessorizing! I must have new duds for my ADORABLE sackperson!

Game I most enjoyed playing with fellow GiantBombers:

Age of Booty
    Sweep, I'll never forget all all that pillaging, plundering, and raping. 
    Oh, and playing Age of Booty, too.

Most important lesson I learned while gaming:

Persona 3/4; Chrono Trigger
    The absolute most effective way to be considered an honest, open, kind, respectable gentlemen, get dates with whatever girl you want, and make tons of friends is to hardly ever speak.

Biggest disappointment that wasn't Metal Gear:

Mirror's Edge
    There was so much potential, unfortunately, it didn't all fall in to place.

Other games I just feel like I have to mention for no good reason:

Fable II
    Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift

Thank you so much for reading! I truly do appreciate the time you gave to even browse over my selections. I hope we can have another great year here at GiantBomb, building wikis and communities along the way.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Thrawn1

i almost feel as if reading through it would take as much effort as it took you to write it. almost. ok, not even close.

Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Joker

Good list.

I still have to play a few of the games on you're list   :(

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Pepsiman

I'm glad there's someone else who loves those two particular Persona games as much as I do. It's been a long, long time since a JRPG has really held my interest at all, but I'm really grateful I took the plunge into the Persona series earlier this year. FES and 4 are both great experiences, but I find myself more attached to the latter now that I've beaten it. I found that it made a lot of really intelligent refinements and improvements that made the experience as a whole even better.

But yeah, you've gots another Persona fan in the stands. I even went out of my way to edit my weeks-old list to include Persona 4, so yeah.
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Pepsiman

PS: Does that screenshot from Prince of Persia happen to be an homage to Shadow of the Colossus by any chance? Because that sure as hell is the impression I get, camera angle and all.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Shaunage

Is... is that screenshot an ending spoiler to a game less than a month old?

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Oni

Man the fact that I made even a single person play Braid and love it makes me feel all warm and tingly. It was my pleasure! Good list man.

Also is that PoP shot a big spoiler? I just started the game today :(

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Good list, you made unique choices, so it's not like all the other GOTY lists out there.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BoG

I guess that PoP image could be considered a spoiler, but it isn't huge. Let's just say that it's not what you think. I'd change it, but I can't right now.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By whackmypinata

Good list. I lol'd at the Age of Booty picture title.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By atejas

Call me crazy, but I find that Oblivion+mods>Fallout 3.
Also,
"What is a grain of sand in the desert?
What is a grain of sand in the storm?"

SteepInKline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SteepInKline

Nice work. May all remember 2008 as the year BoGgy Smalls hit the floor.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

That's a nice well rounded mix of games... you're  a better gamer than me.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By sweep  Moderator

It's important to have big wood, otherwise you cant upgrade and perform at maximum speed.

/end innuendos

(In-YOUR-endo)

Dammit...

The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By The_Icon

You are a brave man, well put. But honestly.......I am also an MGs fan and I thought it was great.

eXists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By eXists

Agreed that Fallout 3 is overrated, Oblivion was just better, sorry Bethesda...

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By suneku

Finally got some time to read these, cool list. I like how you gave best story to Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karmum

...BoG...I thought you loved...Mirror's Edge?!?!

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By brukaoru

I agree that MGS4 relies heavily on past games. Which is why it's unfortunate when newcomers to the series start off with 4, I don't think they would ever be able to fully grasp the emotional sequences without playing the other games. I also think it was a great game, but didn't flow as well as the other games in the series.

I never had a problem with Prince of Persia's art style. When I first heard about the game not having game over screens, I was a little skeptical. Playing through the game made me realize that being saved all the time wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I wish there were other difficulties to choose from, but I still think it's a great game.

CraZyBryaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By CraZyBryaN

Glad you 'threw in' FF:TA2 it was awesome. Liked your list, a little different but was still comprised of A+ quality games