• 52 results
dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By dvaeg

I'm about to wrap up the end of Mass Effect 2, and I need a new game to play at work.   I tend to play on my lunch break on my laptop, but I do not have Internet access while at work, so it can't be a networked game (or else WoW or LOTRO would be my default picks).    I own the following PC RPG or RPG-like games installed and ready to go.   In some cases I will need to replay the game, since I lost a bunch of saves last year: 

Oblivion 
Neverwinter Nights 2 + both expansion packs 
Dragon Age: Origins  - replay an origin
Starcraft 2 
 The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - replay 2/3 of the game
Bully 
Borderlands 
Freedom Force  
Gothic 2  
Baldur's Gate 2 
Planescape: Torment

I like varying environments, quest hub based gaming and a good story.    I'm not much for loot collecting (my MMO play-style is exploration and story) or just point and click gameplay (which is why Torchlight is not on this list).   I play for 1 hour or so at a time, max, so I need good management of my quests via a quest log or journal).   I loved ME2, so that's why Borderlands is on this list, hybrid games tickle my fancy. 

Any input would be appreciated.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By yinstarrunner

I say go for Oblivion with some mods.  It should easily hold you until New Vegas comes out, then you should be playing that.

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

If you haven'y played Starcraft 2 yet, play that

If you already have, I'd say flip a coin between Oblivion and Freedom Force.

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jimbo7676

Oblivion with mods to fix the dumb leveling system would be good. I'd go with BG 2 just because I love that game.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Potter9156
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Planescape: Torment or The Witcher.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Morrowind, kotor

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox
@Potter9156 said:

" Arcanum  
Fallout 1 
Fallout 2 
Morrowind  All have journals and save anywhere. "

You just saved me a post. But I made it anyway. I recommend these games in this order. Arcanum and each Fallout is only $6 at GoodOldGames.com

Also get STALKER Call of Pripyat. It's much more of an RPG than Borderlands. If you must play games in order then Shadow of Chernobyl is good too, but not as good as CoP. Clear Sky can be skipped.
Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Inf225

Oblivion, but go to steam forums, there is a sticky about an excellent mod setup. Follow that, and enjoy.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho

If you don't like loot collecting, dear god stay away from The Witcher. Sometimes I wonder if people recommend shit they never played because they "hear good things". Honestly, you read the post then say "oh you hate loot, play the Witcher". Seriously kids, read then respond. 
Neverwinter Nights 2 is the best game Obsidian ever did, and I'd say its better than their work with Black Isle too (as interesting as the Planescape universe is, the gameplay itself? Not super great). I'd go with that.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

BG2 or Planescape.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SlasherMan
@ryanwho: Loot? In The Witcher? The same game that only has one piece of armor, and every other weapon besides the two swords is useless? :\
 Whatever other types of loot the characters drop you're not really required to pick up unless you need it for a quest, or want to sell for money. Are you sure you played the same game I did?
SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlightConfuse

KOTOR or oblivion  

i heard good things about the whichter

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I heard Risen is pretty good on the PC, don't really know since I haven't played it myself. 

Personally though, I'd recommend Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. Apart from the combat, it's a great game. The atmosphere, characters, abilities, it's all perfect. It has a pretty good sense of humor, and some parts of the game are pretty shocking as well.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By BunkerBuster

Farmvile is a PC RPG, you should go play that.  300 million people can't be wrong, right?

But if I had to choose from your list I would go with ES4 Oblivion or Borderlands.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude
@FancySoapsMan said:
" I heard Risen is pretty good on the PC, don't really know since I haven't played it myself.   Personally though, I'd recommend Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. Apart from the combat, it's a great game. The atmosphere, characters, abilities, it's all perfect. It has a pretty good sense of humor, and some parts of the game are pretty shocking as well. "
I played the Risen demo on my PC. It wasn't bad at all. If I had time, I would probably get it. Actually, I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it.
martindn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By martindn

Definitly the kotor series, but make sure you get mods - as there pretty much vital, adding removed story content and weapons/robes etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yinstarrunner said:
" I say go for Oblivion with some mods.  It should easily hold you until New Vegas comes out, then you should be playing that. "
@LordCmdrStryker said:
" I'd say flip a coin between Oblivion and Freedom Force. "
@Jimbo7676 said:
" Oblivion with mods to fix the dumb leveling system would be good.

@MrKlorox said:
"Also get STALKER Call of Pripyat. It's much more of an RPG than Borderlands. If you must play games in order then Shadow of Chernobyl is good too, but not as good as CoP. Clear Sky can be skipped. "
@Inf225 said:
" Oblivion, but go to steam forums, there is a sticky about an excellent mod setup. Follow that, and enjoy. "

@slightconfuse said:
" KOTOR or oblivion  "
@BunkerBuster said:
"ES4 Oblivion or Borderlands. "
u reed gud 

Anyway, The Witcher has one of the worst quest logs in any game I can remember playing. The combat is also extremely boring and repetitive. You're also constantly (well, I was) picking up shit from all over the place. That said, it has fantastic story/world/lore/characters/atmosphere/etc. Some of the best of any game I've played in fact. It's also mature, and by that I don't mean tits, pussy and GORE. I mean the game doesn't treat you like a fucking child and the interactions with other characters are very realistic (relatively speaking of course). 
dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dvaeg

Lots of Oblivion love, obviously. I tried it on the 360 when it first came out and I think I created a build that couldn't advance past the first gate. I was one-shotted by everything it seemed.

I'm surprised nobody has said Dragon Age though. the origin I played before I lost my save was a lot of fun. I'll probably decide by mid week.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FunExplosions

No matter who you are, even if you hated Oblivion - like me - you should check out a mod that was JUST released for it. It's called Nehrim. It's a total conversion mod for Oblivion. And it's free. Make sure you get the English version, though, unless you know German. 

Besides adding a shit load of awesome story and gameplay, you can now set your resolution manually, pre-load larger parts of the game, tweak the water effects, as well as a few other cool things. 

Oh... I see some other people have already mentioned this...

Zaalbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zaalbar

If you haven't played Starcraft 2 yet I would definitely suggest that first. But if you have then I would say either DA:O or KOTOR even though that's not on your list. If you don't mind playing a bit of an old game KOTOR is definitely one of the best RPG's as far as story is concerned.

dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dvaeg

I went through KOTOR and KOTOR 2 earlier this year. Part two was a bear to push through.

Thanks for the advice do far everyone. To expand, I think I want something with good set pieces and locations. Atmospheric dungeons or towns or countryside. I know Sarcraft 2 seems to have good setpieces and setups. Does that help narrow it?

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RadixNegative2

Definitely Oblivion

martindn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By martindn
@FunExplosions said:
" No matter who you are, even if you hated Oblivion - like me - you should check out a mod that was JUST released for it. It's called Nehrim. It's a total conversion mod for Oblivion. And it's free. Make sure you get the English version, though, unless you know German.  Besides adding a shit load of awesome story and gameplay, you can now set your resolution manually, pre-load larger parts of the game, tweak the water effects, as well as a few other cool things.  Oh... I see some other people have already mentioned this... "
WOW. that mod looks fucking amazing, im totally taking out my copy of oblivion for the first time in 2 years...RIGHT NOW.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FunExplosions
@MartinDN said:
" @FunExplosions said:
" No matter who you are, even if you hated Oblivion - like me - you should check out a mod that was JUST released for it. It's called Nehrim. It's a total conversion mod for Oblivion. And it's free. Make sure you get the English version, though, unless you know German.  Besides adding a shit load of awesome story and gameplay, you can now set your resolution manually, pre-load larger parts of the game, tweak the water effects, as well as a few other cool things.  Oh... I see some other people have already mentioned this... "
WOW. that mod looks fucking amazing, im totally taking out my copy of oblivion for the first time in 2 years...RIGHT NOW. "
Lol. I didn't mean to sound so hyped about it. It's a good mod, is all.
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By valrog
@dvaeg:  Gothic II, but only if you finished Gothic I. Or you can go with Risen, it's a spiritual successor after all.
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By fjordson

The Witcher. Definitely my favourite out of that list. After that Planescape and then Freedom Force.

martindn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By martindn
@FunExplosions said:

" @MartinDN said:

" @FunExplosions said:
WOW. that mod looks fucking amazing, im totally taking out my copy of oblivion for the first time in 2 years...RIGHT NOW. "
Lol. I didn't mean to sound so hyped about it. It's a good mod, is all. "
Did you think i was sarcastic ? Im serious lol Oblivion is one of my fav games of all time and i poured a few hundred hours into the game, so im glad you told everyone about this it does look amazing the amount of stuff thats changed, i think the only problem ill have is the german dub, does that affect it alot ?
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scrawnto
@MrKlorox said:
" @Potter9156 said:

" Arcanum  
Fallout 1 
Fallout 2 

You just saved me a post. But I made it anyway. I recommend these games in this order. Arcanum and each Fallout is only $6 at GoodOldGames.com

Also get STALKER Call of Pripyat. It's much more of an RPG than Borderlands. If you must play games in order then Shadow of Chernobyl is good too, but not as good as CoP. Clear Sky can be skipped. "
This is pretty decent advice.  I loved both Fallout 1 and 2. However, I can't vouch for Morrowind. I haven't played it. And I was never able to get into Arcanum. I just can't get past the janky art and battle system. The setting is cool though, and you can find it cheap, so you might still see if it works for you. 

As far as RPG/Shooters go, STALKER CoP and Borderlands are both excellent, but if you aren't one for loot collecting and prefer exploration, go with CoP for certain. Tons of exploration to do. Oblivion is also great for exploration. 

@Khann said:
 Anyway, The Witcher has one of the worst quest logs in any game I can remember playing. The combat is also extremely boring and repetitive. You're also constantly (well, I was) picking up shit from all over the place. That said, it has fantastic story/world/lore/characters/atmosphere/etc. Some of the best of any game I've played in fact. It's also mature, and by that I don't mean tits, pussy and GORE. I mean the game doesn't treat you like a fucking child and the interactions with other characters are very realistic (relatively speaking of course).  "  
 But it also means tits. You even get a little card for each woman you sleep with! Collect them all!
I don't really mean to knock The Witcher, but the way the game treats the witcher's relationships with women is a little odd.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By vidiot
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Daveyo520

Out of those, Baulder's Gate 2 or Never Winter Nights. I would also Suggest Dragon Age, Kotor, or any of the Fallout games.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Raven10
@ryanwho said:
" If you don't like loot collecting, dear god stay away from The Witcher. Sometimes I wonder if people recommend shit they never played because they "hear good things". Honestly, you read the post then say "oh you hate loot, play the Witcher". Seriously kids, read then respond. Neverwinter Nights 2 is the best game Obsidian ever did, and I'd say its better than their work with Black Isle too (as interesting as the Planescape universe is, the gameplay itself? Not super great). I'd go with that. "
?? There are what six swords and three pieces of armor in the game? If you don't like loot collecting this is the game to get. Unless you love collecting herbs...
procyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By procyon

Definitely KotOR.

And Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Except you need to get a bunch of patches for that.

Worth it, though.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FunExplosions
@MartinDN said:
" @FunExplosions said:

" @MartinDN said:

" @FunExplosions said:
Lol. I didn't mean to sound so hyped about it. It's a good mod, is all. "
Did you think i was sarcastic ? Im serious lol Oblivion is one of my fav games of all time and i poured a few hundred hours into the game, so im glad you told everyone about this it does look amazing the amount of stuff thats changed, i think the only problem ill have is the german dub, does that affect it alot ? "
Hah, I generally expect everyone to just be pessimistic in their replies to me :-P

The German dubbing isn't a big deal, for me at least. Just like when you watch movies in another language with English subtitles, you find yourself remembering the scenes as if they were spoken in English. It's really not even noticeable after awhile. Plus, it's really a remarkable acting effort on their part. Maybe it's because I don't know the language, but I feel that it's at least on par with the original Oblivion's voice acting.
Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mono_Listo

I say grab the expansion for Dragon Age and go that route. Just a great RPG experience.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@MrKlorox said:
"@Potter9156 said:

" Arcanum  
Fallout 1 
Fallout 2 

Also get STALKER Call of Pripyat. It's much more of an RPG than Borderlands. If you must play games in order then Shadow of Chernobyl is good too, but not as good as CoP. Clear Sky can be skipped. "

Don't listen to this guy! CLEAR SKY IS THE BEST OUT OF ALL OF THEM. Get a total remake mod like the one by ArtistPavel, and enjoy. 
Other than that, I say Gothic 2. But only if your tolerant to bugs and really brutal gameplay. Same goes for above.
unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By unchained
@Mono_Listo said:
" I say grab the expansion for Dragon Age and go that route. Just a great RPG experience. "
Definitely this. Dragon Age is incredible.  

I know it's not on your list, but I'd recommend this: 

It's a pretty fun and unique rpg, and there is a lot of interesting lore. It's $20 on Steam right now. A little expensive, but grab it next time it goes on sale. 
Zaalbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zaalbar
@dvaeg said:
" I went through KOTOR and KOTOR 2 earlier this year. Part two was a bear to push through. Thanks for the advice do far everyone. To expand, I think I want something with good set pieces and locations. Atmospheric dungeons or towns or countryside. I know Sarcraft 2 seems to have good setpieces and setups. Does that help narrow it? "
Well if you're looking for good atmospheric dungeons and towns I think that you should definitely go with either DA and then pick up the expansion Awakening if you haven't already. If not that then Oblivion.
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Risen is pretty cool. The game offers a lot of choices that have a considerable impact on the world, though I didn't feel like playing through a second time after I had finished it. 

Also, anything from Bioware is better than most forms of entertainment in the world.

jackbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jackbag

I still need to play through the enhanced edition of The Witcher. Played the original when it first came out. Don't remember if I actually finished it or not...

Since DA has already gotten so much love in this thread, I'll recommend Bully. I fucking love Bully. Such a great game. I'm not sure how the PC version is, though. 

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By xshinobi

Sounds like you have finished DA:O so I would play The Witcher.

pabsi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pabsi9
@yinstarrunner agree I still play oblivion n mods just makes the game even better...Try fallout 3, is a great game with very few flaws...
pabsi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pabsi9
@FunExplosions also add the mod that balances the leveling...I hate how enemies fucking level up with u
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@dvaeg: Fallout 3.
laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By laussica

borderlands, dragon age or starcraft 2

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By crusader8463

The Heroes of Might and Magic games would be good. Turn based gameplay, hero units to rank up, armies to build, castle to defend/upgrade and just enough of a story to keep things interesting.

dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dvaeg

I gotta say that a lot of these look really cool, especially Vampire the Masquerade , Stalker, and Risen.   Believe me though when I say my game backlog is so great that I have sworn off buying anything new for some time.   That's why I'm only going to be working off of my pre-installed list only.   

Speaking of which, I realized that I also have Morrowind installed.

So many choices, but it looks like a lot of Oblivion love thus far.

Zenoside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zenoside

Some of my favorite PC games:
-Torchlight
- Homeworld + Cataclysm
- Homeworld 2
- Bauldur's Gate 2 (nice old-school fun here)
- Deus Ex
- Jedi Academy

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TwoLines
@crusader8463 said:
" The Heroes of Might and Magic games would be good. Turn based gameplay, hero units to rank up, armies to build, castle to defend/upgrade and just enough of a story to keep things interesting. "
HoM&M Number 2 and 3 are the best.

Also- the Might and Magic series!
And Wizardry!
Classics!
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By Astras
@TwoLines said:
" @crusader8463 said:
" The Heroes of Might and Magic games would be good. Turn based gameplay, hero units to rank up, armies to build, castle to defend/upgrade and just enough of a story to keep things interesting. "
HoM&M Number 2 and 3 are the best.  Also- the Might and Magic series! And Wizardry! Classics! "
Excellent choices heroes of M+M are excellent, if u go the might and magic direction I would prolly go for M+M 6 first or the heroes turned based games. Cant go wrong with Wizadry either.
Also Temple of Elemental Evil is good, BG2, Icewind dale, Morrowind > Oblivion if u havn't played, Fallout 1 and 2, or get a emulator and play :

Chrono trigger snes
Final fantasy 4,6,7 snes
Dragon quest 6 snes
Vandal hearts psx
Sword of Vermillion Genisis
BOF 3 psx