Polygon launch is nigh. Do you plan on frequenting the site?

• 190 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By beepmachine

I'll probably check it out because hey, it's a brand spanking new website. But I don't know anything about the people there or the history of the site, so I don't have any expectations. After this site, every other video game site just seems kinda lame.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By WMWA
@MariachiMacabre
Can someone explain the Gies hate to me? I'm curious to know what it is about him people seem to active dislike.
If he didn't have a twitter, he would be perfect. He just comes off as an insecure, self-fallating asshole. His actual journalistic output is top notch, though.

I'm gonna visit Polygon for their reviews and features, as they've already demonstrated they do those extremely well. Not interested in just "news"
SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By SomeJerk

At least they were public about where the money came from.  It's a psychological thing. If you want to review a song I made and I give you candy because you ask if you can have some, you're going to think better of it. Jeff could talk a lot of good about this in a Jar Time if somebody sends him a question about it, making reviewers buy the games they review with their own money in order to get a more honest opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I don't like any of the asshats working on it (Justin not included for the most part). I don't like their holier than thou attitude. I don't like their pretentious documentary. And I especially don't like that they're in Microsoft's pocket.

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By rawrnosaurous

I don't see why I should care about it, I like Justin and Griffin but I could really careless about any of the others. In the end they are just going to be another video game news site, we haven't seen any video content come out from them other than the circle jerk that is their documentary. I keep a hefty list of sites for video games because they each do something great on their own that others don't.

GameInformer has their replay videos and are one of the first places to get information on just about anything.

The Escapist has some of the best articles you can find with their writers along with Yahtzee.

Rock Paper Shotgun is my one stop for anything PC gaming related

Gamasutra for when I want to read more industry specific stuff

Giantbomb for the podcast and quicklooks

and Penny Arcade Reports for the sheer amazing and thought provoking articles that Ben writes

What is Polygon going to do that could differentiate itself from these sites? Why would I go there and not to one of these that I have been visiting for more than a couple years for some? So far they have cornered the market on self-aggrandizing so I guess they have that going for them.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I'm one of the six people on the planet that actually like Gies and definitely plan to keep up with his stuff on Polygon.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By YOU_DIED

If the writing quality is more than adequate, yes. I get my fill of articles from RPS, Eurogamer, and GB, and my news from forums.

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By tsiro

I've been following them on The Verge for a while, and I've been really digging their output. Only now that they've pulled away from there in preparation for their site's launch am I realizing how frequently I actually checked for new content (very frequently). I'm super excited to see the final output!

Also, I'm really excited to see the site itself. They've been talking a big talk about the tech behind the site, and so I'll be interested to poke around with the design.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Ghostiet

Not really. I don't like any of the personalities involved and that documentary promo was such a hilarious exercise in pretentiousness that it managed to scare me off completely. I'll check it out, but no, I'll probably won't frequent it.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#60  Edited By AndrewB

@kishinfoulux said:

...He's not on it... Not sure if they'll launch a more standard podcast though.

That was what I was getting at.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By kpaadet

I'm not a very big fan of Gies and Crecente, so I probably won't visit very often. It dosn't help that they seem to be sponsored by MS, kinda makes the site look like a joke.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By mordukai

No. The only reason I come to this site is because of the community.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Azteck

Not really, but I do dig the logo they have. Very minimalistic and stylish

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By toowalrus

I like their logo. I don't like the fact that they've got ads up before the site even launches. Really though, we'll hvae to just wait and see. I sometimes find myself needing another podcast to listen to, so maybe I'll check it out (if they, ya know, have a podcast).

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Financed by Microsoft for $750,000. 

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By JasonR86

No. I like Phil Kollar and a few of the other guys seem ok some of the time. But it just looks like a stale, boring site to me.

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

Financed by Microsoft for $750,000.

and?

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Levius

Occasionally, when I'm bored or want a review of something. Increasingly though I am less and less interest in the 'art of video game design' games journalism and just want to know if a game is cool or not and have a laugh along the way, which Giant Bomb is the leading outlet of. Twitter is good enough for news and Edge magazine is good for previews and gives me enough analysis.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By chilibean_3

Not really, no. The McElroys and Chris Grant are cool but they aren't enough to get me to visit more video games sites than I already do. I kind of get all I need from Giant Bomb and Joystiq with the occasional outside link. Plus, that documentary nonsense. My god. Double plus, the Vox Media designers are just the worst, you guys.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#70  Edited By Genkkaku

I really liked there story / interviews with the creative directors of Dishonored so I will check it out and if it lives up to the hype I will frequent it

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By M_Shini

I have no about the dudes behind this polygon site thing, i feel i should know, who are they someone please?

And like most people, GB is already enough and then some for me.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#72  Edited By pr1mus

Sure, it's one of the many places i get my gaming news already and i'm eager to see the real site.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Doctorchimp

Only for justin...

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By swoxx

Nope

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By AlmostSwedish

Probably. I really like most of the people (Gies is one of the few game writers who I really respect), and I have read their writing on the verge and enjoyed it. I think it could be cool and interesting.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Animasta

@M_Shini said:

I have no about the dudes behind this polygon site thing, i feel i should know, who are they someone please?

they are dudes from other video game websites

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By YoungFrey

I was wondering why I kept seeing "polygon" mentioned from time to time. So I visited the site and was utterly turned off by the page design. I have not been back.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By altairre

If they do something interesting with the site then sure. It's too early to tell at this point.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Dogma

I like their writing. The reviews are among the best I've read this year and their articles range from good to amazing! The Mirror Men of Arace was one of the best pieces of game writing I read all this year. I am very curious of what these guys and gals will do with their own website.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Ben_H

Absolutely 
Not! 

I barely have enough time for GB. Plus they came off as snobby in that trailer.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#81  Edited By jorbear

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of The Besties and the McElroy brothers in general.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Dogma

@Animasta said:

@M_Shini said:

But they are guys with pedigree. Their EIC is the former EIC of Joystiq. From the same site you have the enjoyable Justin McElroy. Brian Crescente, former EIC of Kotaku and editor Michael McWhertor from the same site. Russ Pitts, former EIC of The Escapist. Arthur Gies, former editor in Gamespy, IGN and also podcaster on Rebel FM. Phili Kollar, former editor of 1Up and Game Informer. The last one I know of is Matt Leone that is a former editor of 1UP and EGM. So it's quite a nice bunch of editors they got there. Very impressive line-up.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Animasta

@Dogma said:

@Animasta said:

@M_Shini said:

But they are guys with pedigree. Their EIC is the former EIC of Joystiq. From the same site you have the enjoyable Justin McElroy. Brian Crescente, former EIC of Kotaku and editor Michael McWhertor from the same site. Russ Pitts, former EIC of The Escapist. Arthur Gies, former editor in Gamespy, IGN and also podcaster on Rebel FM. Phili Kollar, former editor of 1Up and Game Informer. The last one I know of is Matt Leone that is a former editor of 1UP and EGM. So it's quite a nice bunch of editors they got there. Very impressive line-up.

as I said

dudes

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#84  Edited By ajamafalous

The only person on their staff that doesn't make me want to kill myself is Griffin McElroy, so no.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Nentisys

I actively detest several of the personalities on the site and their circlejerking. So no.

GB is the only video game site I frequently peruse but I frequent several forums (neogaf etc) so I get most of my information from there. GB is just for crazy video content and the bombcast.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Vexxan

I like the McElroy brothers so I'll probably check it out.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By colourful_hippie

I'll check it out at first and check in over time to see if it's going to be anything worth looking at but GB will and always will be my main go-to site.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#88  Edited By Marz

I kind of read Arthur Gies reviews, but probably won't be a regular member of polygon.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By nightriff

Mainly I enjoy everyone on the Besties so I'll go to the site, if they do good work I'll keep going to it. Love the McElroys so that is reason enough to give it a chance.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By pr1mus

@MariachiMacabre said:

Can someone explain the Gies hate to me? I'm curious to know what it is about him people seem to active dislike.

I don't know much about his character but i actively hate his reviews. He can be incredibly critical of the most inconsequential details in games people wouldn't expect to be important or GOTY material when the year comes to an end. And at the same time he throws out the window every last ounce of integrity he has when reviewing games that are going to be massive and definitely expected to be GOTY material and just ignores all the most glaring issues these games may have.

Best example i can think of is him saying that because Blizzard has a good track record up to now that they have earned the rights to NOT be criticized for the failings of Diablo 3. I mean how can you acknowledge the game has some serious issues and then say that we shouldn't even bring these issues up in the same sentence and call yourself professional?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By MikkaQ

Um sure, if they give a good reason to frequent it. So far it just seems like another video game site, albeit with some talented folks behind the wheel.

But like... news is news, doesn't matter where I get it. If their editorial content is strong like it is here then I'd check it out here or there. It's gotta have some good hooks though to keep me coming.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#92  Edited By StarvingGamer

Dunno, the only two people from Polygon that I have any awareness of are Gies and Frushtick. Gies is an arrogant jerk so I have no interest in anything he has to write. And Frustick did a guest appearance on 8-4 Play where he came off as the biggest imbecile imaginable. If they think a moron like him is worth having on staff then they clearly have no interest in increasing the level of discourse in gaming. Seriously, fuck that guy.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#93  Edited By rachelepithet

So what is Polygon/Verge? What was their old site called? (Where Justin McElroy is known from)

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#94  Edited By Romination

I didn't even know that the site hadn't launched. Silly me!

MaxxS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By MaxxS

Can someone explain to me what's so good about the McElroys in terms of video game writing. The only stuff I've seen from them has been boring generic news coverage like the stuff Alex does for Giant Bomb. That and Justin's Nier review.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By thatdutchguy

Nope

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By mrcraggle

I used to frequent Joystiq a lot and still frequent the site for news but the site lost a lot of its personality and the change to the podcast was the worst thing they could've done. It's just a shame they couldn't get Ludwig.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#98  Edited By Winternet

What? No. Why would I do that? Dedicating myself to one videogame website about videogames already takes massive chunks from my day.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Coafi

I thought they had already launched the site! Damn, I can't believe they have taken so long. I might check it out once it's alive, if I remember, but I doubt I'll frequently visit them.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By ShadyPingu

Don't even know who any of those people are, apart from the McElroys, and even them I know only from MBMBAM. They could be bad at their real jobs for all I know.

Though on the upside, that means I don't already hate any of the site staff, so I'm at least open to being convinced.