Polygon launch is nigh. Do you plan on frequenting the site?

• 190 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yeah why not. I signed up there, wont be on there nearly as much as here probably but I like the McElroys and Chris Plant, a few of the other people seem cool. The site looks pretty slick, few things I'm not a fan of, I like the layout of these forums way more. The Polygon forums seem a little more form over function. Overall though, I like it. I'll give it a shot.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By DukesT3

I have no idea who any of those guys are. The only gaming "journalist" I've ever kept up with have been the old Gamespot crew and I'll probably never visit the site since I just heard about like 10 minutes ago from twitter. Giant Bomb is actually the right amount of gaming content I care to know.

isaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By isaiah

Doesn't look very nice on my phone. I'll be honest at least 50% of my web viewing is done via smart phone

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Kerned

@coribald: I give it a 3.7645

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#156  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese

The site is slick-looking and there's some decent talent involved, but I can't seem to shake the feeling of pretentiousness that surrounded the development and launch of the site.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#158  Edited By Aaron_G

I think the site is beautiful. Their article pages are very well done.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#159  Edited By Animasta

@coribald said:

@envane said:

what happens when you put a bunch of polarizing hipsters on the same website ...polygon happens

So it's Pitchfork for video games?

at least pitchfork isn't that much of a pain to navigate

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By WMWA
@Phatmac

QUICK GUYS GIVE ME A GOOD/DUMB NAME FOR POLYGON

Phatmac
Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That website is atrocious. WHY are there only like four things allowed on my screen at once??

Ho_Blivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Ho_Blivion
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By PillClinton

Eh, GB's enough for me. That promo video kinda soured me on Polygon anyway.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By NegativeCero

Eh, what the hell, I'll give it a shot. It would be the first time I'll have been around for a site launch. If anything it will be fun seeing how the community matures. The staff over there seems enthusiastic, which is always cool. Though I doubt that will keep up.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Skyrider

Probably not. I'll give it a gander once it launches if I actually remember it exists, which I don't most of the time.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By ShaggE

I'll keep going there to listen to The Besties, but I won't become a regular just yet, as much as I love the McElroys.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#167  Edited By winsord

Nope. Don't like most of the writers for the site, so there's not much there for me. Things like the Forza Horizon review really turned me off when they were on The Verge, riddled with fact-based errors in both comparisons drawn to other games and about the reviewed game itself. Also just not a fan of how a lot of the stuff is formatted on the site, both from a visual and a written perspective. It looks pretty, but I'm not a big fan of how the actual text gets layed out as a result (minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, though). Mostly just not interested in reading this style of news article; the main ones I read on GiantBomb are the articles where Patrick has interviewed a dev or done a lot more editorial work than just deliver flat news, like The Authorship of a Video Game.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By chrissedoff

I'll go to the site to read Arthur Gies's reviews.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#169  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Nah.

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#170  Edited By kingofpeanuts

Nope

Avatar image for zombiesatemycereal
zombiesatemycereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No. Any site that thinks they need their own documentary is not worth going to.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By zeforgotten

Something seems messed up, while reading the MoH review (just.. because .. well it's the only new thing to read on there) some of the images take up the whole width of my screen.  
Might just be chrome that's weird or the fact that I'm on a TV.. looks stupid though 

But meh, other than that it looks fine. Might check back at a later date (like next year) to see how things are going

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By NekuCTR

I liked the design for a while, but once I noticed that there weren't wiki links, comment sections, and forum links EVERYWHERE it kind of lost it's luster. GiantBomb has changed my views on websites forever.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By MiniPato

@ZeForgotten said:

Something seems messed up, while reading the MoH review (just.. because .. well it's the only new thing to read on there) some of the images take up the whole width of my screen. Might just be chrome that's weird or the fact that I'm on a TV.. looks stupid though But meh, other than that it looks fine. Might check back at a later date (like next year) to see how things are going

It's not you or your browser. It's how the layout of the site is. It looks pretty, almost like a magazine, but it is not practical for reading on a monitor.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By zeforgotten
@MiniPato said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Something seems messed up, while reading the MoH review (just.. because .. well it's the only new thing to read on there) some of the images take up the whole width of my screen. Might just be chrome that's weird or the fact that I'm on a TV.. looks stupid though But meh, other than that it looks fine. Might check back at a later date (like next year) to see how things are going

It's not you or your browser. It's how the layout of the site is. It looks pretty, almost like a magazine, but it is not practical for reading on a monitor.

Doesn't look that pretty to me. 
And the tiny little images (like GB has in their articles, whatever they're called) look fine but then 

That's not pretty! That's annoying as hell 'scrolls past huge image to read more stuff' 
That's not pretty! That's annoying as hell 'scrolls past huge image to read more stuff' 
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#176  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Ho_Blivion

@MariachiMacabre: @MariachiMacabre said:

Can someone explain the Gies hate to me? I'm curious to know what it is about him people seem to active dislike.

Dude gave Transformers: Fall of Cybertron a 9/10 http://www.polygon.com/game/transformers-fall-of-cybertron/2483

Oh shit he has an opinion that doesn't match yours? How has he been allowed to live this long?!
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#177  Edited By Skald

Yes.

I like Giant Bomb's Quick Looks, but I need a site for news and reviews, and Polygon has been excellent for that so far.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#178  Edited By 71Ranchero

Nope, got enough fluff video game news here to last me several life times, no need for multiple sites worth of it.

blakout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By blakout

Its launched and I really like how it looks also love the Mcelroy brothers and Arthur gies

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By ViciousReiven

Absolutely, not only do I adore some of the people who now work there from other places, but they've been making some fantastic articles for The Verge for quite awhile now that you just don't see in many other places, that kind of behind the scenes meet the developers sort of thing that just barely gets touched on by many big name game sites. 
On top of that I find what they've shown of the design to be very pretty, something I don't think 95% of websites I visit are, which while not important still means something to me.  
I don't yet care for their reviews, but only because I haven't had the chance to get to know about most of the personalities, I'm sure once they get some video content going it'll sink in.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#181  Edited By matthew

@ZeForgotten said:

@MiniPato said:

@ZeForgotten said:

And the tiny little images (like GB has in their articles, whatever they're called) look fine but then

Yeah, just found that out...it makes a really hard read.

Also what makes a hard read...All that white. And color. Where is the black version of the site??

Also, one more thing, their review system is based on what Jeff handled back in GS before he left. 4.5, 8.5, etc. That part of it feels antiquated. I am interested to see how they are going to implement their 'bump' aspect.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#182  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Maybe if I remember to. I usually prefer to get my reviews and news from podcasts more than sites most of the time. They're podcast "The Besties" is actually pretty good if you want some good iPad game recommendations.

heat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By heat

The design is pure INSANITY. It's a pretentious giantbomb

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#184  Edited By musclerider

EVERYTHING IS PRETENTIOUS.

I'm a big fan of Gies, Grant, and the McElroys and I have faith that they will continue doing a good job so I'll regularly visit the site.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#185  Edited By pr1mus

So they essentially kept the same design they got on The Verge and added big ass screenshots that take the whole screen to maximize eye strain and unreadability.

WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#186  Edited By WJist

I wish them all the best - this industry could always use another voice/viewpoint. (But I agree with everyone about the design, particularly on their reviews pages. Woof.)

I wonder if they'll be able to keep up with the "bump" thing they're going for. Sure, expansions, patches, and DLC change how games are perceived overtime, but I wonder if they are chasing the wrong dragon by keeping up with multiple games in this way. To me at least, added content is a more binary "Buy It" or "Don't."

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Matthew said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@MiniPato said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Yeah, just found that out...it makes a really hard read.

Also what makes a hard read...All that white. And color. Where is the black version of the site??

Also, one more thing, their review system is based on what Jeff handled back in GS before he left. 4.5, 8.5, etc. That part of it feels antiquated. I am interested to see how they are going to implement their 'bump' aspect.

Think the point they were getting at is the design seems a little heavy handed on the magazine style. With a magazine, it's nice for pictures to break up the text, but on a computer, images can be placed around the text smartly to cater to those checking out screenshots and the people reading the reviews. On magazines, you don't have to scroll to see what you want, because typically there's one half picture, the other side text, at the most. It's Polygon putting design over usability. You might say this is a little thing, but it's big if you read a lot of reviews on sites, it's annoying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I signed up. Whether I frequent the site or not is up to the future quality of the site.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#189  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm honestly not sure why I should?

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#190  Edited By Jost1

I'd rather visit IGN, flawed as it may be. At least they have Up At Noon.

I don't enjoy polygon.com whatsoever

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#191  Edited By zaccheus

Giant Bomb has all I need.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Branwulf

Why are people excited about a review site? To be honestly I tend to get most of my gaming news from podcasts or here, also I don't like the site design. Scrolling for 4 hours to get to the bottom of the page for the win.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Seems they put out some low review scores to get people to go there. 4.5 for MOH and 6 for Forza Horizon

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#194  Edited By sweep  Moderator