• 177 results
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Drebin_893

Will this go up as an archive at any point? Call me entitled but I'm a subscriber who doesn't like not seeing content just because I live in Europe and have a social life at night.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#102  Edited By Daveyo520
@Drebin_893 Probably. Everything is these days pretty much. They did not say one way or the other but I would be surprised if it was't.
SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By SlashDance

@Drebin_893 said:

Will this go up as an archive at any point? Call me entitled but I'm a subscriber who doesn't like not seeing content just because I live in Europe and have a social life at night.

No Caption Provided

Joking aside, my guess is it will be archived there at some point.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By jozzy

@Humanity said:

Well we all know that if not for Mass Effect 3 that word wouldn't even be thrown around as much, if at all. I especially hate it when someone asks for any little thing and they get shouted down as being an entitled crybaby. Making unreasonable demands is one thing, and thats not even acting entitled 90% of the time rather just being stupid - but asking for something pretty reasonable as a consumer that has paid money for a product is something completely different.

The word came up a lot during the minecraft craze too, people that paid $10 for the beta and were crying about Notch not updating the game fast enough. I personally think it's a great word of used correctly, which it was in this thread.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#105  Edited By Humanity

@Dagbiker: But at the cost of site-skins? Who could get excited for site-skins? The most of abhorred of advertising right next to pre-rolls on video content.

@jozzy: While I agree that for 10 bux people got a lot more than they would otherwise anywhere else - all money concerns aside the frequency and quality of updates for Minecraft down the road started becoming laughable at the least.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Dagbiker

@Humanity said:

@Dagbiker: But at the cost of site-skins? Who could get excited for site-skins? The most of abhorred of advertising right next to pre-rolls on video content.

I agree, i hate site skins, but with out money there is no site at all.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#107  Edited By Claude
@Dagbiker said:

@Humanity said:

I like site skins. I remember when Giant Bomb had this one on the Halo ODST page.

No Caption Provided
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#108  Edited By Humanity

@Dagbiker said:

@Humanity said:

Well I'm wondering then if the situation was so dire that GB was bleeding money for years while under Whiskey Media or if they were turning a profit. If it's the latter then the move is just to make even more money - which from a business perspective I completely agree with. It's just that I thought GB was supposed to be "above that" in a way. Also maybe I'm completely wrong but I thought that working this deal out with CBS was supposed to get the guys out of that danger zone of not having any money all the time.

@Claude: While certain skins look alright when it's a game you actually like - it becomes intolerable when something you really don't like is plastered full monitor all over your most visited site.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#109  Edited By Claude
@Humanity: That skin was only on the ODST page. I'm not sure how they would do something like that now. And I can't stand Halo, but still loved that skin. The used to skin the front page during E3 with an E3 logo. That wasn't game specific, but I would like to see more of that.
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dagbiker said:

@Humanity said:

That being said I agree that talking about a site redesign that affects both subscribers and regular users alike should be viewable by everyone. Whatever though it's their call. Jeff even mentioned recently how he's excited that they're going to start putting in more ads and site skins, finally breaking GiantBomb into that market of earning revenue - which seems completely out of touch with what GB is supposed to be about, but maybe it's just all the users that were out of touch with what the crew originally had in mind for it.

I think Jeff was more excited that there was going to be money coming in.

Yeah, the reason they never had many ads on the site before was just because they couldn't really get any good ad deals. They always wanted to have ads, but they are committed to making them relevant to the audience.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#111  Edited By Daveyo520
@Humanity

@jozzy: While I agree that for 10 bux people got a lot more than they would otherwise anywhere else - all money concerns aside the frequency and quality of updates for Minecraft down the road started becoming laughable at the least.

That is pretty funny since they are going to start do preroles soon.
Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#112  Edited By Brother_PipPop

@wisdumcube said:

because I feel more entitled to it

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By alexisg

I figured I'd jump in and add some actual "design talk" to this thread. The radio/call-in show has always been a premium subscription event. Usually the topics vary wildly and I guess since this week we picked a topic which affects the entire site I can see why everyone would want to see it.

• Communication: I will most likely as usual be pretty transparent with stuff I am working on when I can. In the past I have asked for feedback from the entire community and it has always been helpful. I don't really have a structured way of doing this though. It has been a combination of forum threads, videos, and randomly in the chat room before or after shows.
  • Design: I touched on this during the show but there are obvious parts to the site which I want to update. There is an obvious divide in the site of when I came in a year ago (homepage, video pages, news, topnav, and the chat room) and the stuff which we have not yet been able to update (wiki, forums, profile pages, reviews).
  • News and Review: These for me are glaring spots which I think need more love. I'd like to give Patrick and the rest of the editorial team more options on showcasing their work. Different layouts, better image options etc. Patrick came in to the site just as I was redoing the homepage and at the time I was not able to get his feedback on what he needed out of the promo areas. I'd like to fix this.
  • Wiki: This is such a huge job. I started on this before we joined CBSi and had stared making some good progress. Since we are now rebuilding the site, I'll hopefully have time to go and refine this.
  • Theater mode: I have ideas for this which I am just not ready to share just yet. Dave mentioned on the show that no one uses it and that is kind of a bummer. Theater mode was around before I came around and the only thing I did for it was the tiny little 16x16 icon. I really like that icon mostly cause it has way more layers in it than any 16x16 icon should. My hope is that theater mode will be reborn as a different thing which personally I get excited about, but this is probably a ways off.
  • Skins Ads: I am probably not the one to touch on this too much. I think Dave and Jeff have done a decent job of trying to let people know as to why we still need your support. I think we have been pretty honest about the fact that ads were not brining in a lot of money for us. Being a part of CBSi will hopefully change this. Premium memberships still have and will probably always have a huge impact for us. Premium members let us stay stupid. There are plenty of sites out there that are supported completely by ads and I think its safe to say that those sites have to be much more cautious on how they represent themselves. As long as we have you in our corner we can keep doing the things we do. And we appreciate your support like you wouldn't believe.

Thanks to everyone who was in the chat room on Friday. We have been talking about having more developer style videos for those who are interested in more behind the scene's stuff. Reaction to the few times I have been able to talk shop with people have usually been good. Dave and I have definitely been scrambling as of late but hopefully things will calm down a little once and we can do more of this. I believe the video for Friday's show should be going up at some point. I am almost certain Ryan found the record button but I'll know more on Monday.

Here are some links where I post stuff:

http://dribbble.com/alexisg

http://twitter.com/alexisg

https://vimeo.com/channels/317372

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/alexisg/forums/

drshilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By drshilliams

Hi Alexis,

I had one question about the redesign, specifically the forums. Will you be adding a max-width to the main container at all? With the main div at 100% the measure of the type gets a little too long and the legibility suffers. Perhaps something more in line with the width here http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/alexisg/forums/.

Cheers

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#115  Edited By ThePickle

Yeah, seems kinda weird they put that behind the wall.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#116  Edited By Little_Socrates

I will not mind if GiantBomb eventually goes exclusively premium. They are a business and have a right to operate however they wish. If you don't like it, don't be a customer. This is not me being rude to non-premiums or white-knighting, this is me acknowledging reality. Giant Bomb, like most any website, is a business that may choose to economize however they wish.

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By alexisg

@DrShilliams said:

Hi Alexis,

I had one question about the redesign, specifically the forums. Will you be adding a max-width to the main container at all? With the main div at 100% the measure of the type gets a little too long and the legibility suffers. Perhaps something more in line with the width here http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/alexisg/forums/.

Cheers

I think it's say to say that I am fan of the 1140px wide grid. In an ideal situation I'd like the option to flip the forums from our fixed width grid you see on the homepage to the old school style 100% width forums and make everyone happy.

drshilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By drshilliams

@alexisg said:

@DrShilliams said:

Hi Alexis,

Cheers

I think it's say to say that I am fan of the 1140px wide grid. In an ideal situation I'd like the option to flip the forums from our fixed width grid you see on the homepage to the old school style 100% width forums and make everyone happy.

Yeah I can see the need for the option to switch back to the 100% width. Some people just don't like change, especially when it comes to design.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By MrKlorox
@DrShilliams
You can always just horizontally resize your browser window, can't you? Whereas those who prefer the full width wouldn't be able to widen it so easily if it was changed to 1140 pixels. But yes, a built-in toggle would be the best solution.

@alexisg said:

The radio/call-in show has always been a premium subscription event. Usually the topics vary wildly and I guess since this week we picked a topic which affects the entire site I can see why everyone would want to see it.

Oh, that explains it. I (and I assume many others) didn't realize it was supposed to be a regular Dave's Radio Show except with a topic this time. It seemed like it was a different thing since Ryan was hosting and you guys were talking about major things happening to the way users interact with Giant Bomb. The CBSi announcement video probably affected non-subs less than this talk would, so you can see why folks assumed there would be an archive for everyone.
drshilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By drshilliams

@MrKlorox: Having to change my browser size to get an optimal line length shouldn't really be necessary, the goal should be never to force the user to do anything like that. Whilst some people may prefer the 100% width (I have no problem with that by the way), optimal line length is a large part of typographic theory and is proven to increase legibility.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By hockeymask27

Thanks for the info my gold medal friends. Also It deserved to be premium content.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Dagbiker

@Humanity said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Humanity said:

Well I'm wondering then if the situation was so dire that GB was bleeding money for years while under Whiskey Media or if they were turning a profit. If it's the latter then the move is just to make even more money - which from a business perspective I completely agree with. It's just that I thought GB was supposed to be "above that" in a way. Also maybe I'm completely wrong but I thought that working this deal out with CBS was supposed to get the guys out of that danger zone of not having any money all the time.

@Claude: While certain skins look alright when it's a game you actually like - it becomes intolerable when something you really don't like is plastered full monitor all over your most visited site.

Getting more ads on the site is part of getting out of the "danger zone." CBSi isnt a charity. If Giantbomb doesn't make money then they will scrap it. But i assume the first, they probably where bleeding money.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By EmuLeader

@VIGGO123 said:

I understand where you are coming from, but I disagree. I think the paying members deserve to get a better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes, as we are more "invested" in the site.

The rest of the userbase will surely get to know the changes that comes in the redesign before it goes live, Dave will probably do a write-up soon.

I think this sums it up the best. Even if they don't do a write up, knowing about the changes certainly isn't going to make a difference. If you don't like the changes before they happen, then you won't like them after they happen, so nothing changes. When it goes live everyone will know and after the change I'm sure they will post something so everyone is aware. The paying members are more "invested" as stated in the quote. It's not crucial that either the paying OR non paying find out before it happens, but the people who actually put forth money to support the site have much more right to know if something is going to change.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Dagbiker

@EmuLeader said:

@VIGGO123 said:

I understand where you are coming from, but I disagree. I think the paying members deserve to get a better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes, as we are more "invested" in the site.

The rest of the userbase will surely get to know the changes that comes in the redesign before it goes live, Dave will probably do a write-up soon.

I think this sums it up the best. Even if they don't do a write up, knowing about the changes certainly isn't going to make a difference. If you don't like the changes before they happen, then you won't like them after they happen, so nothing changes. When it goes live everyone will know and after the change I'm sure they will post something so everyone is aware. The paying members are more "invested" as stated in the quote. It's not crucial that either the paying OR non paying find out before it happens, but the people who actually put forth money to support the site have much more right to know if something is going to change.

A right is absolute, you ether have it or you don't. I agree with what you are trying to say, i just wanted to point that out.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By MrKlorox
@DrShilliams said:

@MrKlorox: Having to change my browser size to get an optimal line length shouldn't really be necessary, the goal should be never to force the user to do anything like that. Whilst some people may prefer the 100% width (I have no problem with that by the way), optimal line length is a large part of typographic theory and is proven to increase legibility.

That's also subjective. I find it much easier to read a paragraph of three long lines than six medium lines. The greater number of times I have to look back to the left, the more chances I have to lose my place within a paragraph. 

Also with monitor resolutions getting higher and higher, and the disparity between 'high' resolutions and 'standard' resolutions (is it considered to be 1280 width currently?) getting greater and greater, the users are going to need to start scaling and sizing containers appropriately themselves. I've got Giantbomb set to 120% scale for my 1920 width monitor and it matches my preferences for long lines that aren't too long, and text isn't too small. Out of curiosity, do you use scaling in your browsers or the increased font size option inside windows? Or do you find those to be unreasonable compromises?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#126  Edited By jakob187

The thing isn't any official announcement. It's a spitball session. People need to chill out about it being premium only.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#127  Edited By jakob187

@Hailinel said:

This was not some sort of secret "Members Only" cabal in which users were allowed to determine the fate of Giant Bomb.

If it were, Ryan obviously would've been voted off the island.

doomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#128  Edited By doomed

Why isn't this on the site anywhere?

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By dtat

@Doomed said:

Why isn't this on the site anywhere?

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Where's my burrito?! I mean, where's my podcast?!

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By alexisg

Should go up eventually. I bugged Ryan about it and he said the file was like 88 gigs and was taking a while to copy over. Maybe tomorrow?

Th3irdEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Th3irdEye

Jesus. What kind of format are you recording in for the file to be 88 gigs. That seems a bit excessive.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#133  Edited By alternate

@Dagbiker said:

@Humanity said:

That being said I agree that talking about a site redesign that affects both subscribers and regular users alike should be viewable by everyone. Whatever though it's their call. Jeff even mentioned recently how he's excited that they're going to start putting in more ads and site skins, finally breaking GiantBomb into that market of earning revenue - which seems completely out of touch with what GB is supposed to be about, but maybe it's just all the users that were out of touch with what the crew originally had in mind for it.

I think Jeff was more excited that there was going to be money coming in.

People still think GB was started as a non-profit or some sort of vanity project for Moneybags Bonnie.

They went from saying how they hated dick pill ads and mocking crass site skins - to realising that getting any paying ads at all was quite the battle - to running the meebo bar and google ads just to keep the lights on.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#134  Edited By alternate

@Th3irdEye said:

Jesus. What kind of format are you recording in for the file to be 88 gigs. That seems a bit excessive.

It will be a raw output of whatever they currently use to capture. Due to the nature of their off site compression they have to edit and upload that whole file before the compressed formats get spit out.

GS must use a similar thing as I remember Tom Magrino being asked why the new video Hotspots were only an hour long and he said something along the lines of 1 hour = 50gb and it takes a $20k PC just to edit the monster.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#135  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@Th3irdEye said:

Raw video files are big. Before you add compression video files are huge. 88 GB is smaller than I would have guessed.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

They should just focus on making material for the site not redesigning it for..... ? To hold all the awesome shit they've given us since joining Gamespot? Or to make awful glitchy kinect quick looks easier to find?

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@Claude said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Humanity said:

I like site skins. I remember when Giant Bomb had this one on the Halo ODST page.

No Caption Provided

When done well, site skins can be great....

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Come on guys, post it up already.
I love design/backend spitballing sessions.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By cyraxible

I work nights and thus sleep most of the day. Since I miss most live events it really is a bummer when the archive takes ages.

ramprat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By ramprat

@cyraxible: This.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#141  Edited By crusader8463

Curse whoever bumped this dam thread. I thought for a moment that they had finally uploaded the dam video and that I had some how just missed it.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#142  Edited By Radar

@crusader8463 said:

Curse whoever bumped this dam thread. I thought for a moment that they had finally uploaded the dam video and that I had some how just missed it.

Seriously :( I would have watched it live but my shift started as soon as the livestream did.

Korosuzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Korosuzo

Bumping just to keep this in their minds hopefully. Would love to have this archived as I completely missed it and whole love to listen to it on my way to work, etc.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By toowalrus

Bumping, because doing so will get them to post the video at 1AM on a Sunday.

Tag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Tag

bump because I want this video posted as well

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Akyho

Yeah I am needing to throw my hat in as-well into wanting to see it.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#147  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Any word on if it is even coming?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#148  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@rmanthorp said:

Any word on if it is even coming?

Things like that take time, I would expect to see it in a few months in the best case.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#149  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@Mr_Skeleton: Really? Was it not just a video? How is it any different from TNT which get's uploaded right away? I'm not moaning or complaining btw I'm just curious...

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Buscemi

I'm a paying member and I have no idea what this redesign is.