Premium-only meetup at PAX Prime; signups begin Thursday.

• 77 results
rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rorie

Hey, we're going to be doing a meetup/event thingamabob on Friday, August 29th, at a restaurant/bar a block or two from the Seattle Convention Center, probably around 8 PM. Giant Bomb staff will be in attendance, we'll talk a bit, have a few drinks; we'll probably have some stuff to give away to people who manage to make it out, as well. Technology allowing, we're going to try and stream something from the event as well.

OMG IT'S PARTY TIME
OMG IT'S PARTY TIME

Attendance for the event is limited by the restaurant's max capacity, but we are hoping to get around 100 people to join us inside. There are a few qualifications, though: you must be 21 or over and a current Premium subscriber to get on the list to attend. There won't be any +1's for this, so if you want a friend to come along, they will likewise have to be a current Premium subscriber and RSVP separately. You will also have to have your real first and last name saved in your profile as we'll be checking both usernames and real names at the door to confirm RSVPs. (That means that you'll have to have a valid ID with your real name on it, as well; if you can't get into a bar, you can't get into this event.) You can add that to your profile via the Settings menu if you hover over your avatar up top. You'll also need to have a valid email address tied to your account, as we'll be sending out RSVPs via email.

As I want to give a bit of time for everyone to read this before the signup time comes, I'm going to open up signups in a post in this here General Discussion forum on Thursday the 14th at twelve noon Pacific Time. We'll accept 120 signups before I lock the thread; 100 people will be on the list, and the last 20 will be in reserve in case we get cancellations from people in the first 100. So, if you're going to PAX Prime and want to attend this event, be here on the forums on Thursday at noon. Do not sign up in this thread; only sign up in the thread I will post on Thursday. If you sign up here, it won't count and you'll be sad. Feel free to ask any questions in this thread and I'll try to answer them.

TLDR:

• Party at PAX Prime, Friday the 29th around 8 PM.
  • Must be 21+ and a current Premium subscriber with your real name in your profile to attend; no +1's.
  • You must have a valid email address attached to your account, as that's how we'll be getting in touch.
  • Signups will start on Thursday, August 14th at noon Pacific Time, in another thread here in General Discussion.
  • Only the first 100 RSVPs will be guaranteed entrance.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I came into this thread to joke about how you were going to identify premium members. "What? Are you going to ask them for their ID?"

Turns out that's a more practical idea than I gave it credit for.

TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Oh man this should be fun I plan on going as long as I can get off work that Friday. I'll keep my eyes peeled this Thursday.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Corevi
@video_game_king said:

I came into this thread to joke about how you were going to identify premium members. "What? Are you going to ask them for their ID?"

Turns out that's a more practical idea than I gave it credit for.

Giant Bomb Premium ID cards would be pretty cool.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

The username / first last name is the same system I used to distribute PAX shirts =]

The impromptu last minute location change meetup at PAX East was real chill and nice. This one also sounds like it'll be a ton of fun~ Hope I can RSVP in time =P

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hmmm... I would like to go to this but I don't really want to ditch people I'm hanging out with to go.

Hard life decisions.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: This makes me even more sad for not going to Prime, but I get to meet all you awesome duders at the meetup at East this year so I guess it's fair others will get the chance! Enjoy :)

Meepasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds awesome! :D

Ekami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ekami

I hope everyone likes inconsistent eye contact, because that's what I'm bringing!

kevers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By kevers

I really wish this was how the PAX East Meetup was set up.

Ekami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll also bring cookies, but you have to give me a poorly aimed fist bump that limply glances off my arm to get any.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Sounds fun!

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ekami: Maybe my favourite comment ever! :)

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I wish you guys did this last year. Maybe next year ill go.

mjbrune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does this meet up require you being at Pax Prime or can you show up even if you didn't get into Pax? I see the restaurant is separate from the convention center so it sounds like it's up to you guys to require people having attend Pax or not.

Ekami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gregorygold: Thanks! Cookies for you. You'll be able to find me at the party because I'll be the guy yelling "AYO METAL GEAR!" every time I feel a friendship is formed.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Dunno why, but that pug reminds me Half-Life 1. Like a headcrab or a houndeye attacking you in a bathroom.

This seems like a good way to avoid another PAX East situation.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

feels a bit surreal to actually be like "Hey im going to Pax Prime this year!, i can totally get in on this!"

that is providing i make it to the thread on thursday in time.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The no +1 rule sounds like this is a recipe for awkwardness. I can understand why it is in place but I certainly wouldn't want to attend any kind of event run like that. (Not that I'm going to PAX anyhow) Still, glad they are trying to get as many members in as possible. Good stuff guys, have fun everyone going to the event.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WalterCrunkFite
Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Corevi
@ekami said:

I'll be the guy yelling "AYO METAL GEAR!" every time I feel a friendship is formed.

No Caption Provided

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cooljammer00

PAX East coulda used something like this. But what do I know, I fell asleep in my hotel on Friday afternoon after getting off the bus, and woke up at like 2AM after everything had ended. Eh, there's always 2015!

Mully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mully

Wait. So where will we put out real name in our profile? Just in the description?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@mully: No hit settings and there should be a spot specifically for your name.

use this link www.giantbomb.com/profile/mully/settings/ to get to your settings

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

Man, I hope I can get into this! I wish it was Wed instead of Thurs but I'll give it a shot from my phone anyway

arthup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds awesome!

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to be honest. When Rorie typed thingamabob I thought that was a terrible misspelling of giant bomb.

Also I hope there will be bingo and/or a meat raffle.

Mully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PAX East coulda used something like this. But what do I know, I fell asleep in my hotel on Friday afternoon after getting off the bus, and woke up at like 2AM after everything had ended. Eh, there's always 2015!

I don't know that waiting in the line was a thrill a minute, for a lot of minutes

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully somethign like this happens next PAX Prime because I might actually go to that one. Sounds like a ton of fun though, so hope the people that do/can go have that fun thing happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

here's hoping for anyone attending, that this get together actually works out as opposed to the PAX East debacle.....

my prayers are with you

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CatsAkimbo

@rorie: Are firstname/lastname's on profiles publicly visible? It looks like they're not, but I may be overlooking a page somewhere.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By csl316

Cool. Subscriber-only meetups seem like the ultimate reward, not to mention the best way to avoid a few crazies.

tildebees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

next year I'll be 21. next year!!

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By The_Nubster

I won't be able to make it regardless, but could this be posted as a news story for people who don't frequent the forums? Or make the actual sign-ups a news story with a link to the forum thread or some such?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bacongames

This already seems like a million times better than the plan going into PAX East this year. I was there, I can tell you it wasn't pretty. I just hope the PAX schedule gets posted before the sign-up time so I can work out if something else is happening at the same time.

Musai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darn, I was hoping to go to Prime this year, bummed that I can't go to this. Will you guys be having a premium meetup at East next year, too?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If only I were a mere year older. Oh well, here's to future meet ups.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By frymillstrum

If only I didn't live across a massive ocean... And then some...

iotanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

AAAAAGH, I'll be at work at the time for sign up! Maybe I can get a friend to sign up for me at that time using my profile? Seems like my only option for getting in. :/

jzo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There better be POGS at this shindig

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Well, even though I'm not going to PAX, at least I can find comfort in the fact that the not being able to bring a +1 would rule me out anyways...?

Meepasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This already seems like a million times better than the plan going into PAX East this year. I was there, I can tell you it wasn't pretty. I just hope the PAX schedule gets posted before the sign-up time so I can work out if something else is happening at the same time.

It was just posted, and the Cards Against Humanity panel will be happening at the same time.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Sweep going to be on the door or something?

Fake_Empire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Total noob to the GB forums, is it gonna be posted in the PAX 2014 board or on general discussion?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meepasaurus said:

@bacongames said:

It was just posted, and the Cards Against Humanity panel will be happening at the same time.

Luckily for me this exact situation presented itself at PAX East this year so I should have no trouble deciding again. Barring any unknown or unannounced meet-ups at that time, I should be all clear to attend.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Total noob to the GB forums, is it gonna be posted in the PAX 2014 board or on general discussion?

It'll be posted here in General Discussion.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie can you guys do this for PAX East next year please.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warchief said:

@rorie can you guys do this for PAX East next year please.

We'll see!