I've been eager to play a dating sim lately, but all you ever hear about these games are the weird outliers with gay dads, llama people, disability girls and bird boys. I want some recommendations for a good dating sim that suits my tastes, cause I sure have no idea where to even begin. Some guidelines for what I'm looking for:
- I want to date women. Not men, anthropomorphic animals, robots, pidgeons, holographic representations of dead people or whatever else might be going on. I'm not super into the bishoujo artstyle, but I get that that's what most of these are gonna be. I prefer characters that are kinda down to earth or nerdy, and I can't stand the whole idol thing in particular.
- No Katawa Shoujo, I already played it. Thought it was basically fine but a little dull.
- It can be porny or not, either is fine.
- I hate the writing in the Huniepop games from what I saw, so none of that whole thing.
- It's nice if there's a coherent story between all the different routes. My favorite experience with these sorts of games was Tsukihime. That game wasn't just about your romance, it also explored your character and family's backstory and the secret society of vampires and monsters of the setting. Playing through the whole thing left you feeling like you had learned everything and was able to have a relationship that made everyone involved happy, even from the other routes.
- I've played all the newish Persona and Bioware games except Mass Effect Andromeda, so no need to suggest those if you were thinking of them.
- It's got to be in English. I've got a PS2, PS3, PS4, Wii and 360, and games on a PC are probably fine. No 3DS or anything. It's nice if it's digital, that's so much easier than trying to dig up an old physical copy of something.
I hope there are a few people here with some good suggestions, thanks in advance.