Sounds like more Bioshock is coming down the pipe

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Not that it's a huge surprise (although I always heard that Infinite was a bit of a disappointment in sales-versus-budget terms) but this long look at the Mafia III developer over on Kotaku is the first I've heard of a new Bioshock being in development.

This caused some tension, as some developers at Hangar 13 looked over and wondered, Why are we not there? The Parkside team was working with the familiar Unreal engine rather than volatile proprietary technology, and BioShock has a ton of cachet among developers and fans. Between Mafia III’s mediocre reviews and Rhapsody’s constant shifts, some members on the Hangar 13 team were desperately hoping to move next door. A few got to do it, but not everyone.

“The issue is that Parkside’s not ready for lots of people,” said one person involved. “They’re trying to be really smart about figuring out what the core thing is. They’re careful about not falling into the same problem every studio has, where they have too many people and nothing for them to do.”

Sounds like it's still probably a year or two away from being released.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I'd definitely be into another game in that vein, for sure. I loved all three of them, and Infinite is one of my all time favorites. Looking forward to hearing more about this.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Give me a 4th game, put it on Switch, and you shall have allllllll the money!

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I LOVED Bioshock 1 and 3. I thought 2 was a misstep in that it kinda felt more like an expansion where they just flopped the politics around.

I don’t know that I need it, but I’d be curious to see what it looks like.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also really liked 1 and 3, but to me, Prey was kind of the best BioShock game. I’d be open to a new BioShock but I’m curious where they’re going to set it.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still waiting for that Vita game

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100 Big Daddies jump out of a plane flying over the ocean...

Sad to hear Hangar 13 isn't turning out too hot, but hopefully the "people next door" have a good idea of where they wanna take Shock from here.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

If there is, I hope there’s a shift towards telling a story of the world within the game itself rather than through objects in the environment. Give me a taste of these crazy characters interacting personally before the shit hits the fan.

gam3rdud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gam3rdud

Another Bioshock could be cool :)

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Bioshock one feels almost like a different lifetime ago. It was the first game that really set the tone for what the console first person experience could be like. I remember being wowed by all the water and interactive stuff while you could move. Again though ages ago.

I have no idea what they will do with a new one. Honestly removing it from the previous games stories entirely is probably the smartest move, maybe easter eggs or hidden connections, but no more rapture and no more Columbia. Needs to be an entire new setting with new characters and hell, I'd argue probably some new gameplay ideas too. Interested to see what they are cooking up for it, I actually kind of thought this franchise might of been actually dead.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: They kind of do that with the Burial at Sea DLC's, and it's expanded on some with the novel as it takes place during the construction and downfall of Rapture. It was all kind of bad from the get-go. Also, I think one of the good parts about Bioshock is how it told a story about the already dilapidated place, so it leaves room for the imagination.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By bybeach

I'd be more interested in a System Shock true sequel. And yes, starring my favorite villainess. as I remember, it was left on a horror show mechanic cliff hanger.

Nothing makes me feel better than being called a worm or an insect by my virtual significant other.

Bioshock. I really loved to liked all of it. But it has that completed feeling. Done it's ark.

Not to pre-judge though, we will see.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm always down for more Bioshock but I felt like Infinite wrapped that franchise up real neat that it's sort of a shame to dig back into it.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Since when has a game franchise with critical acclaim been handed over and reimagined from the ground up and also gotten the same level of praise

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bybeach said:

I'd be more interested in a System Shock true sequel.

You're in luck, it's being made. Hopefully it actually comes out, too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b911d3722cb7
deactivated-5b911d3722cb7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm the weirdo that thinks Bioshock 2 is better than the first.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd definitely play another one. Would like a fresh setting but hopefully similar writing team.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as there’s a lighthouse, a man, and a city.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Barrock

As long as this is something someone wants to be making, and they aren't only working on it because the name has cache.

Bummed about Hanger, I really liked Mafia 3. Wanted to see where that lead with that ending.

Reading the article, working for 2K sound maddening, and I don't even work for them. Mafia 3 was their fastest selling game, so management decides to pivot to a spy game instead of a fantastic sounding Mafia IV set in Vegas in the 70's. Then they scrap the spy game for a super hero game set in San Francisco that has it's core game play based on music.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2019 vita game.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

@nicksmi56: Man, it would be nuts if they found a way to get Bioshock 4 onto the Switch. I doubt it would happen, but it would be cool nontheless. Probably better off asking for the original or Infintie to get ported over. I'd be intrigued to see what the next Bioshock would look like. Are we going to get an underground 18th Century themed city?

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mocbucket62: But I already own them all ? they've already surprised with what they've been able to run on Switch before. I have faith!

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coming down the pipe huh?

https://guides.gamepressure.com/bioshock/gfx/word/1892434437.png

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@ntm said:

@sparky_buzzsaw: They kind of do that with the Burial at Sea DLC's, and it's expanded on some with the novel as it takes place during the construction and downfall of Rapture. It was all kind of bad from the get-go. Also, I think one of the good parts about Bioshock is how it told a story about the already dilapidated place, so it leaves room for the imagination.

Except for "room for the imagination" is choked out by endless expository audiotapes. I get where you're coming from, and in the hands of more deft storytelling I think the potential is there to tell some great and terrible stories by context and imagination, but Bioshock definitely has room for either more subtlety or just straight-up better storytelling through its actual gameplay rather than glimpses into the communities' past.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The only way I'd be super into a new Bioshock is if it leaned into its immersive sim heritage in a much bigger way than the first three did...Prey has spoiled me. Also having a story that doesn't spin apart at the end into unearned metaphysical nonsense for the sake of having A Big Twist like Infinite would also help.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, I'd play a new shooter (with less shooting) like Bioshock, especially these days when FPS games with a good narrative seem to be a dying breed.